Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

There's a bundle sale going on right now. I still had a new item (firefighter uniform) from the Brutes, Brawn and Bling sale in my cart. Since the BBB sale has a discount on certain G2M items, the discount for items that overlapped the two sales was quite good. I was able to pick up several bundles for $2.12 each. Some of them have items I may never use, but overall, it was a good bargain. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Novica, did you try tiling on the ground texture? Sometimes that helps with the look.  

Novica said:

I am going through all my sets and looking at what I have, testing a few. Nature-Grotto is one I bought recently. There are a lot of things to like about Andrew's products, you really get your money's worth so far as the amount packed in. In this one, I am not a fan of the flattened ground vegetation (really dislike it, waaaay too flat!)  and the ground plane. The plane looks like it has dark striping from the repetitive texture lining up. And it just looks really flat. (This is all out of the box.)

The good news is all the plants are grouped so you can translate (Y) and pull them up.  I didn't test adding bump to the ground plane, but as usual, it's always an option. Be sure and turn things off that aren't in your scene view, I have a very fast computer and this took awhile to render.

I darkened the rocks (medium gray) otherwise they were washing out. The water will appear lighter with more light. Promo shots will give you a good indication of what to expect.

The set is huge. With more lighting, the water would lighten a bit. Wasn't going for a perfect render (obviously) but sharing what the set looks like overall. A lot of effort was put in to give you many different angles to shoot from, and get a totally different looking scene. The water reflects extremely well. 

Wanted you to see how tiny Edgar is! Can you spot him??? Huge set!

Speaking of which, he has saggy pectorals, is a nice run-of-the-mill-not-buff character. I did change up the chest though, it was so saggy with the shirt, that it was distracting to me. I used the Iray Tropical Fabrics Shader and matched the plants in the background just for kicks (first render.)

Does anyone have this:

http://www.daz3d.com/polynesian-tropic-hangout

and can give some hints and tips on how it converts to iray? It's on super sale right now, and I actually don't have a beach scene at all, so was curious about it. I wouldn't use the whole thing properly, but when I'm doing promos for bikinis and stuff, I need something like this. 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

jakiblue- I'll try tiling it when I get around to using it, good suggestion, thanks! I wanted to show it out of the box. (funny expression considering these aren't boxed.) 

I have that product you listed above, but wasn't online (dealing with Amazon, you don't want to know how many hours I have been on the phone.)  I'm in the middle of rendering another product- is that tropic hangout still on sale? I've got to run to the barn and not sure how long this other product is going to take to wrap up, but I'd be happy to render it for you when I get a chance.

It's still on sale, and I ended up grabbing it. LOL. I realized that I didn't have a single beach/sand/surf/sea scene for when I have to do bikini promos, so I figured I could fiddle with it for iray anyway. :D  

Novica said:

jakiblue- I'll try tiling it when I get around to using it, good suggestion, thanks! I wanted to show it out of the box. (funny expression considering these aren't boxed.) 

I have that product you listed above, but wasn't online (dealing with Amazon, you don't want to know how many hours I have been on the phone.)  I'm in the middle of rendering another product- is that tropic hangout still on sale? I've got to run to the barn and not sure how long this other product is going to take to wrap up, but I'd be happy to render it for you when I get a chance.

edited July 2016

Okay. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.  Would love to see it if you ever get time to fiddle with it.  

Amazon still going ring around the rosie and can't process my order, my bank says nothing wrong on their end (and there isn't) so I've been tied up with that three hours last night.

Well, I'm really fed up with vendors not making walls separate. That new Black & White House is ONE PIECE. Talk about tight shots. You can't hide a wall, so buyer beware if things like that totally aggravate you to the point of returning a product. (and try messing with your camera settings before you do that to get a wider angle.) 

For the good news, the vendor really outdid themselves on making doors open and close (haven't checked windows but as I recall, at least one set (bathroom) opens. 

These renders are just the default Iray lighting, I'm exploring the set for you,  and obviously not trying to be ultra artistic. This house has a lot of possibilities, not a lot of frills so far as fancy knick knacks but the layout is good, windows let in light so those of you who don't like to do a lot of additional lighting would have fun with this.

IN PROGRESS will add more later. Headed to the barn, already 89 degrees heat index at 6:40am. Going up to 112. I go and feed Stetson before the barn staff would get there (8am) so he gets out in the pasture by 7:15am and then I have them bring him in to his stall by 11am instead of noon. He has two high velocity fans in his stall and gets to eat nice green hay all day in comfort! There's another horse who can't be on pasture all day and she's in the stall right next to him, so he keeps her company. His NEIGHbor. 

blackwhitehouse.jpg
    800 x 458 - 310K
    blackwhitehouse2.jpg
    800 x 458 - 246K
    blackwhitehouse3.jpg
    800 x 458 - 267K
    blackwhitehouse5.jpg
    800 x 458 - 229K
    Post edited by Novica on

I'm not mincing any words here- the Surface setup from the Black & White House vendor is very difficult to use. Instead of having all the lamp parts together, they put chrome (meaning everything with chrome) lumped together for lamps-  So you're not dealing with individual pieces, you're dealing with surface types/textures.  And of course, in Scene, Lamps are grouiped and can't be broken apart, so you can't kitbash at all and use the floor lamp without having the ceiling lights. You can't take the floor lamp out because it has a chrome stand, if you try to do that, the chrome that hangs the ceiling lights disappears. AWFUL setup. (and again, the walls are all one piece. Have fun with that.) 

So knowing that I am not too technically proficient, correct me if I am wrong but groups by vendors can not be ungrouped, correct?  And I am not going to take time I don't have to try to rearrange Surface setups, but could that be done? (take the chrome of one lamp out of that Surface group of lamps?)

So  if groups in Scene can't be unbroken and if changing Surface setups is hard or can't be done-  this product isn't good for taking things out of the scene and definitely can't kitbash a lot of it and use in other products. As usual, correct me if I'm wrong so we're fair to the vendor. You CAN use the fireplace (but of course, not the glass, it's grouped with the WINDOWS) for other scenes. It will take you a long time to cutout opacity everything though- you can't ungroup much of it in Scene so hiding it is the only option (I think.)  

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited July 2016
    Novica said:

I'm not mincing any words here- the Surface setup from the Black & White House vendor is very difficult to use. Instead of having all the lamp parts together, they put chrome (meaning everything with chrome) lumped together for lamps-  So you're not dealing with individual pieces, you're dealing with surface types/textures.  And of course, in Scene, Lamps are grouiped and can't be broken apart, so you can't kitbash at all and use the floor lamp without having the ceiling lights. You can't take the floor lamp out because it has a chrome stand, if you try to do that, the chrome that hangs the ceiling lights disappears. AWFUL setup. (and again, the walls are all one piece. Have fun with that.) 

So knowing that I am not too technically proficient, correct me if I am wrong but groups by vendors can not be ungrouped, correct?  And I am not going to take time I don't have to try to rearrange Surface setups, but could that be done? (take the chrome of one lamp out of that Surface group of lamps?)

So  if groups in Scene can't be unbroken and if changing Surface setups is hard or can't be done-  this product isn't good for taking things out of the scene and definitely can't kitbash a lot of it and use in other products. As usual, correct me if I'm wrong so we're fair to the vendor. You CAN use the fireplace (but of course, not the glass, it's grouped with the WINDOWS) for other scenes. It will take you a long time to cutout opacity everything though- you can't ungroup much of it in Scene so hiding it is the only option (I think.)  

You can use the geometry editor to break out and/or combine parts of the geometry into new or existing surfaces.  It takes time, but is definitely doable,  I did that with the guns on my Yamaki Enforcer render on DA

In terms of the walls being all one piece, I'd suggest either breaking them out via the geometry editor or using an Iray section plane.

Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited July 2016

Deleted Duplicate Post.  I really dislike this forum software.

Post edited by TabascoJack on

Oh that's ok! :D It was fairly cheap so I wasn't too worried. Bikini promos are generally more closeup anyway, so I'd be using it more of a backdrop. I just thought that it had been showcased here before...I was sure I'd seen something with palm trees and sand etc, so thought it had already been done. I'll have a bigger play with it tomorrow and see what I can post here :D 

Novica said:

Okay. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.  Would love to see it if you ever get time to fiddle with it.  

Deleted Duplicate Post.  I really dislike this forum software.

I can't count the number of times I've done that. 

The plane would be okay, but what I'm doing is kitbashing so it's not the render view that's making this less than desirable. I did link to the plane post in my first post of this thread. Very useful! 

Jakiblue, I've done several island/beach scenes, the one I really like due to the variance in the shoreline is DA Palm Island Rendered easily and there's a lot to the set.  Also really like Summer Island, and it has nice props.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    Novica said:

In their defence, it is their first product here and I have not seen that person yet in the PA forum that I know of so they may have made that with less knowledge of what works and what doesnt.  I did the same thing with the surfaces on my first car where too many shared the same material.  Easy thing to do when you are new at modeling.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    Mattymanx said:
    Novica said:

In their defence, it is their first product here and I have not seen that person yet in the PA forum that I know of so they may have made that with less knowledge of what works and what doesnt.  I did the same thing with the surfaces on my first car where too many shared the same material.  Easy thing to do when you are new at modeling.

Does Daz QA provide any guidance for PAs along those lines? It sounds like an area where they could help out.

One thing they did do right is make the logs separate, the flames separate, so you can have the fireplace without flames. 

edited July 2016

Hmmmm.  You want Iray Scene 1 or Scene 2? Which square with absolutely no images would you like to pick?  I am guessing, are the thumbs in studio 91 pixels, because that's what I did these in to test and see if you can get any kind of clue from them. I also tested them with different contrast/lights so you can see they can be done several ways, depending on your preference.  And I do think they're better than some square stating Scene 1 or Scene 2. And no, the promos do not identify Scene 2.

This is a lovely set otherwise, we've already featured it.  Green Backyard Garden.

greenbackyardNOHELP.jpg
    376 x 600 - 872K
    greenbackyardNOHELP2.jpg
    600 x 321 - 1M
    greenbackyardNOHELP3.jpg
    91 x 91 - 579K
    greenbackyardNOHELP4.jpg
    91 x 91 - 592K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,129
    edited July 2016
    Novica said:

Hmmmm.  You want Iray Scene 1 or Scene 2? Which square with absolutely no images would you like to pick?  I am guessing, are the thumbs in studio 91 pixels, because that's what I did these in to test and see if you can get any kind of clue from them. I also tested them with different contrast/lights so you can see they can be done several ways, depending on your preference.  And I do think they're better than some square stating Scene 1 or Scene 2. And no, the promos do not identify Scene 2.

This is a lovely set otherwise, we've already featured it.  Green Backyard Garden.

Actually the promos do show "Scene 2" - problem is the text is hidden behind the zoom and "X" icons on the store page!

ETA: Sorry, that reply may have sounded a little rude - I fully agree that better icons wounld really help - but I was so intrigued by your comments that I went to look at the store page (I don't have that product) and spotted the "well, it's almost visible" text!

Capture.JPG
    538 x 455 - 67K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited July 2016

MelanieL said:
    Novica said:

Actually the promos do show "Scene 2" - problem is the text is hidden behind the zoom and "X" icons on the store page!

ETA: Sorry, that reply may have sounded a little rude - I fully agree that better icons wounld really help - but I was so intrigued by your comments that I went to look at the store page (I don't have that product) and spotted the "well, it's almost visible" text!

I wouldn't have thought it rude, I know you!  yes

Glad it shows it!  But I know during a setup of a render, I certainly don't want to go trucking off to the store page (not the ReadMe) and scroll through promos to see what I am loading in a scene. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    barbult said:
    Mattymanx said:

Does Daz QA provide any guidance for PAs along those lines? It sounds like an area where they could help out.

Its not QAs job to offer support or product suggestions.  They are there to test and make sure it works as is.  Daz does not actually know what any of us are up to and not every PA likes to share what they are up to either.

edited July 2016
    Mattymanx said:
    barbult said:
    Mattymanx said:

Its not QAs job to offer support or product suggestions.  They are there to test and make sure it works as is.  Daz does not actually know what any of us are up to and not every PA likes to share what they are up to either.

Interesting. Thanks for this peek inside the process.

Edit for spelling.

Post edited by barbult on

Many of us keep an eye out for older characters- so heads up. Over at Rendo there's Edna (product 116053, for studio 4.9 only)  for G3F by Tempesta3d, who has some interesting other characters. (See Doris for V4 if you are a Poser user and want an older character. Doris is 113721) 

For G3F, Mousso has Grecia for the thicker eyebrows and freckles. She's not an older character. (product 115945)

For skin that is not perfect that has subtle acne, check out Helena (G2F) by SecondCircle. Product 115023  It's Daz Studio. 

I think Tempesta3D, Mousso and SecondCircle would be worth keeping an eye on for future characters if you haven't previously known about them.  Anyone got any renders of these characters?

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

I haven't looked at all your reviews, but was wondering, have you ever found any mens clothing that is poseable? Like shirts or jackets that can be unbuttoned/unzipped , or jeans unzipped, etc? It seems I can only find women's clothing like this. I've tried using women's jeans on men, but then its way too tight and feminine looking. I can't believe no one makes mens clothing that is poseable. I've looked on rendo and here and can't find any.

I haven't looked at all your reviews, but was wondering, have you ever found any mens clothing that is poseable? Like shirts or jackets that can be unbuttoned/unzipped , or jeans unzipped, etc? It seems I can only find women's clothing like this. I've tried using women's jeans on men, but then its way too tight and feminine looking. I can't believe no one makes mens clothing that is poseable. I've looked on rendo and here and can't find any.

Look for SickleYield products, like this one.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,002
    edited July 2016
    barbult said:

Look for SickleYield products, like this one.

Also http://www.daz3d.com/outoftouch

There are male products that will do what I think you want.

Post edited by TJohn on

Thank you both for the suggestions, I'll check those out.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited July 2016

Here's what I found in the products I have:

The best bet is Morphing Business Suit which has a suit jacket that can be open or closed. It also has a shirt that can have the collar opened, the sleeves rolled up, the shirt front open. Trousers top can be opened.

Doctor's Coat and Suit for Genesis 2 Male has two coats, 1 open and 1 closed. Shirt collar can be opened.

Grantham Hall Suit jacket has some posing morphs to open wider on one or both sides, but not close:   

Same for Mobster Outfit for Genesis 3 Male

EDIT: Here's a render showing how the Morphing Business Suit can be adjusted. 

Morphing Business Suit a.png
    1200 x 960 - 891K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited July 2016

Thought I would do a quick render of Ronan (Gypsy Angel)

I have very few Genesis 3 males, I haven't found many that really appealed to me.  This guy is pretty cool and comes with some great options. Facial hair to varying degrees and some intersting warrior make up as well.  Even better there are a couple of layers offered that you can put on top of the make up.  The photo shows one of the make up options with one of the layers on top (the three lines on his chin and there is a half sun on his right temple). He is pretty muscular out of the box and comes with some good eye colors as well. The ancient combat hair for Gen2M autofit very well.  This is in 3Delight.

Ronan 3Delight.png
    632 x 1024 - 1M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Ronan looks like he would be a very versatile character- and what a great job in 3DL! I particularly like his expression, doesn't look stiff and the corners of the mouth don't pucker. Thanks for sharing!

RGcincy said:

Here's what I found in the products I have:

The best bet is Morphing Business Suit which has a suit jacket that can be open or closed. It also has a shirt that can have the collar opened, the sleeves rolled up, the shirt front open. Trousers top can be opened.

Doctor's Coat and Suit for Genesis 2 Male has two coats, 1 open and 1 closed. Shirt collar can be opened.

Grantham Hall Suit jacket has some posing morphs to open wider on one or both sides, but not close:   

Same for Mobster Outfit for Genesis 3 Male

EDIT: Here's a render showing how the Morphing Business Suit can be adjusted. 

Thanks for that, appreciate the info and render! I also found out that Fit Control by Zev0 adds morphs to existing clothing as well, to allow for a certain degree of movement, so that combined with some of the recommendations should do the trick for animation. So more stuff to add to my wishlist!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited July 2016

Mouse for Genesis

Downloaded this and had some fun with the morph sliders. I used a frog, zombie, ogre and savage teeth :)

I used the LAMH one but as I only have CPU I posed and rendered them in 3Delight against a blank background, saved them individually as a .png, loaded a Plane for each one, used each .png on the Plane and used LIE to use the Alpha channel and pasted the images into the Base Colour and Cutout channels and turned glossiness to zero that made each image a Billboard (I Think that is what they are called) with the background invisible. I loaded up an environment and changed the renderer to Iray then posed the Planes.

It came out not too bad and allows the use of the LAMH mouse preset without having to change the hair to Fibre Hair or .obj file, save and reload it.

mouse-tribe-001.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 992K
    mouse-ogre-3dl-002.png
    1440 x 960 - 717K
    mouse-zombie-3dl-001.png
    1440 x 960 - 515K
    mouse-savage-3dl-001.png
    1440 x 960 - 440K
    mouse-frog-3dl-001.png
    1440 x 960 - 700K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

My, you're adventurous! That mouse's fur (the very front one) is really sleek and shiny, seems very real. Like we can reach out and touch it! I've heard of Billboards but never made any and not sure of the concept either.

This discussion has been closed.