Bye Bye Daz3d

Comments

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited October 2012

T Jaiman said:
    araneldon said:
    T Jaiman said:
    What about things like radical scaling changes?

I heard someone say Poser improved on their old scaling issues. (The world moves a lot faster than I do, I can't keep up).

Scaling still appears to be an issue.

Drat.

Well, at least they can't blame Daz for that...

Obvious comeback in 5, 4, 3...

I didn't see scaling issues with any of the daz morphs i tried even with creatures and lycans all mixed together, but i suppose not everything will work....

Sadly I already used Genocide in poser so for me not even the convenience of an import plug-in can save my PC membership renewal..

Post edited by adzan on
  • T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

adzan said:
    T Jaiman said:
    araneldon said:
    T Jaiman said:
    What about things like radical scaling changes?

I heard someone say Poser improved on their old scaling issues. (The world moves a lot faster than I do, I can't keep up).

Scaling still appears to be an issue.

Drat.

Well, at least they can't blame Daz for that...

Obvious comeback in 5, 4, 3...

I didn't see scaling issues with any of the daz morphs i tried even with creatures and lycans all mixed together, but i suppose not everything will work

That's encouraging. :-)

Probably won't take too long to figure out the specific conditions that cause problems.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    adzan said:

I didn't see scaling issues with any of the daz morphs i tried even with creatures and lycans all mixed together, but i suppose not everything will work

That's encouraging. :-)

Probably won't take too long to figure out the specific conditions that cause problems.

No the issues are there. Several scaling morphs, namely in the chest, shoulders and arms, crush genesis' mesh.

I tried it out a while ago. A good chunk of Ashley M5's young adult morphs are ruined in the translations as well as some of the short morphs I provide in each of my products. I have to see how I can get around this.

• KludgeKludge Posts: 354
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    Kludge said:
    T Jaiman said:

Why are you looking at me like that? :)
    Huh? Was I? Sorry, didn't mean to make you uncomfortable.
    Lol, no, you didn't. It was just my stupid attempt at humor.
    So was mine ... of the order of Kent in Real Genius. :)

My nVidia card was unloved too so I went to eBay and picked up a used ATI Radeon that met minimum specs. I had to find legacy drivers since it's not supported anymore but at least it works.
    I could've put a different video card in, and/or a fresh windows, but I've been "on the edge of" getting a new computer for about 4 years.

I've been on the edge but it's a slightly different one. ;-)
    I figured I'd have a different role, for the old one, and rebuild accordingly.
    A year after I got DS3a, DS4p ran crashlessly. (To coin a word). Meanwhile, I'd picked up a ridiculous amount of understanding, by reading here.

Yeah, the folks here seem to know a lot about computers and the right places to kick the software to make it work.
    At least, if I persisted, I could get DS3a to stay up long enough to get a look at things I'd downloaded.
    Now, if I can get back some of the spare time that's been evaporating since about the time I started...

Nah, you don't want it back. It was time well spent. Just keep telling yourself that. :lol:

Windoze need to be rebuilt and, while I'm at it, I'll dump some of the bitzenpieces I really don't need or want. Somewhere on one of my backup DVDs is a minimalistic XP Pro that only has a 18MB footprint I created to find out how small I could really get it. Adding in the drivers for this system won't increase it much past 20MB yet it'll still be fully functional. (It was originally created for a laptop that had XP on it but not much in the way of HD. It not only saved a lot of space but booted much. much faster.) Maybe I'll try that since I really don't need all the "features" I have now.
    That's neat. Are there any guides for slimming XP?
    Not to that level that I've found although a lot of information on getting rid of the big pieces came from MSFN which is a pretty cool site. There are good people there and sound advice. Memory serving, I just started removing pieces based on a bunch of different resources as to what did what until it quit working at all then added them back until it was stable and had only what I needed. Heck, the pre-installation environment, which was on a different CD while I was building the system, was much, much larger. (I also trimmed it down but that was because I got tired of waiting for all the unnecessary drivers to load.) It was an exercise I really don't want to go through again so I hope I can find my stripped down to fighting weight version someday.
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:

That's neat. Are there any guides for slimming XP?

format c:
    :-)
    Kendall
    ROFL ... That works too.

I'd probably be back using some version of *IX but after leaving the college and dealing with a number of different versions, I went into Forget Mode and remained there for the past 20 years. All I wanted to do was be a Windows Weenie and be the pest who calls support, not be on the receiving end of some of those calls. Especially the ones at 2-3 AM when I'm trying to sleep.

I am considering a separate machine (or this one if I get a new one) for Ubuntu or something. I haven't decided yet.

edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:

So is that it? All the drama is over? Morphing, and the whole 9 yards? I must know more!
    AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!! Now what will the App Wars be over now that Genesis is getting closer to being "universal"? This isn't good. Not good at all. We can't have peace suddenly break out, it's bad for the economy! :lol: ;-P

[quote
    Q: Are ALL Genesis features supported in Poser?
    A: No. Some Genesis features such as collision detection and smoothing are dependent upon and function only in DAZ Studio.

Stuff has to be in DSON, or converted with DS 4.5.1.6.
    Any other limitations?

I think some were listed on the product page. Now, I downloaded it even though I don't have P9 or PP2012 in anticipation of eventually acquiring one of them, preferably the latter. This will likely happen when the next generation is released and SM is unloading the older version as quickly as they can. Gonna think about these things ... plot and plan and be plenny sneaky 'n stuff. ;-)
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    Kludge said:
    chohole said:
    Another turtle

Here in Hawaii, it's illegal to approach within 50' of sea turtles. This is cool and easily managed with careful navigation and keeping an eye out. But no one told the turtles about that and they're curious critters, especially when it comes to things in their ocean that don't look right. Like kayaks. And people surface snorkeling. Having a pod of dolphins surround you is cool and delightful but a curious turtle is outright funny.

That would be quite a sight.

"Get away from me turtle! I don't want to get in trouble!"

Or is it ok for them to approach you?

It's their ocean so it's fine if they approach. Usually they just pop their heads up to have a look then go on about their business but sometimes they'll swim along side while snorkeling trying to figure out what sort of "something" one is.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

... Life is very good.

That is the best line somebody can say. :) :) :)

• KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

Since Daz has moved all hysterically to Genesis I'm afraid the site have nothing to offer for me. So I will not renew my membership like many others. I have been a member for many years and really love V3-V4 and poser stuff, the platinum club stuff has decreased dramatically and not releasing props like they used to do.And I'm not a DS person. This is so sad, cause I enjoy this store. Good luck!
    Victor

I’m close behind you. I preferred daz and love carrara but I plan to try and learn poser again. The problem with Genesis is Daz3d has forgotten about all the money people have spent on other daz characters and I can’t just let that go to waste because Daz is too in love with Genesis.
    I feel your pain.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

KimberSue said:
    Since Daz has moved all hysterically to Genesis I'm afraid the site have nothing to offer for me. So I will not renew my membership like many others. I have been a member for many years and really love V3-V4 and poser stuff, the platinum club stuff has decreased dramatically and not releasing props like they used to do.And I'm not a DS person. This is so sad, cause I enjoy this store. Good luck!
    Victor

I’m close behind you. I preferred daz and love carrara but I plan to try and learn poser again. The problem with Genesis is Daz3d has forgotten about all the money people have spent on other daz characters and I can’t just let that go to waste because Daz is too in love with Genesis.
    I feel your pain.

I think someone needs to catch up with the news... http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9405/

Kendall

edited December 1969

KimberSue said:
    Victor

I feel your pain.

I think someone needs to catch up with the news... http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9405/

Kendall

I know about that but what am I suppose to do with all the content I spend $500.00+ for towards kids and toon characters my clients want in rendered artwork? Delete and call it a lose because of Genesis? There is still no injects for genesis kids. Not everyone wants to make superheroes and half naked women. I am still serious considering carrara pro but stepping back and looking at other 3D software before moving forward. Unless you have some answer on how to make a kids 4 injection work on genesis kids?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited October 2012

KimberSue said:
    KimberSue said:
    Victor

I feel your pain.

Kendall

I know about that but what am I suppose to do with all the content I spend $500.00+ for towards kids and toon characters my clients want in rendered artwork? Delete and call it a lose because of Genesis? There is still no injects for genesis kids. Not everyone wants to make superheroes and half naked women. I am still serious considering carrara pro but stepping back and looking at other 3D software before moving forward. Unless you have some answer on how to make a kids 4 injection work on genesis kids?

The Genesis Basic child is very close to K4 in shape. The other morphs (including the free DieTrying morphs over at ShareCG) can get you very close to pretty much anything. This thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9635/ has some decent results on K4 heads. Genesis will give you more options for kids with expanded clothing selections. Your kids' textures still work as is.

If you're doing Kids renders then Genesis is where you want to be

EDIT: BTW, *ALL* of your current K4 clothes will fit Genesis better than they ever did on K4, especially in "action" scenes.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

A month ago I would have said Daz was the greatest thing in the world. I saved up money to buy Carrara pro and would have been very willing to wait on genesis kids to be created but for many reasons I need to look at my options before my membership is up in a few months. BTW: Cute is http://www.daz3d.com/shop/people/children/lilly-for-k4

I own a small business and my clients want custom clothing on the renders and I can't wait on daz genesis to catch up. Just a fact of life.

edited October 2012

If you don't see reason to shop here, then that's reasonable.

They aren't commissioning much old stuff for PC or DO.

But I don't understand the use of "waste" or "throw away".

They didn't obsolesce anything.

DS 4.5 still runs the old characters. They can be in the same scene with Genesis. They can be by themselves.

So why would anyone throw anything away? I'm not.

I can convert most of it, and I what I can't, I can run on the native generation.

If I lose my content and backups, I can redownload from my account.

I've got all the items in the 3 vaults. (I suspect a lot of gen 3 has been unvaulted, by now, because it's loved, and much of it can be Genesis-ed).

I'm not phased, because there's no reason to be.

It's the same situation as running the old and the new in Poser.

edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:

DS 4.5 still runs the old characters. They can be in the same scene with Genesis. They can be by themselves.

So why would anyone throw anything away? I'm not.

I can convert most of it, and I what I can't, I can run on the native generation.

If I lose my content and backups, I can redownload from my account.

I've got all the items in the 3 vaults. (I suspect a lot of gen 3 has been unvaulted, by now, because it's loved, and much of it can be Genesis-ed).

I'm not phased, because there's no reason to be.

It's the same situation as running the old and the new in Poser.

I know and that is not my issue. For example, I have a client who need promotional items girls softball team and another client who wants artwork for a book she written and both require I make custom clothing which making the model is not a issue but (feeling like a pain in the butt on the forum) I have tried to figure out rigging, etc ... and all the tutors are for genesis or the links on the daz are broken. I sick of daz broken links on the help guide to anything other than genesis.

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    KimberSue said:

You are supposed to replace everything. Get busy making Genesis In A Temple With A Sword (and 4 arms, but no top)!

In all seriousness, if genesis doesn't offer any advantages to you, ignore it. I have installed the DSON importer, and I have played around with it, but at the end of the day, I need content - I don't do heroic fantasy, therefore genesis is mostly a non-factor for me.

If Dimension3D can get his Genesis Generation X and the GenX AddOn Gen3 Bundle running in Poser, then it would be a different story - I could move a couple hundred characters over to genesis and I would even buy new characters for the skin maps.

As far as the kids, look at the content that is sold at DAZ - vendors here are really into impractical armor, impractical spaceware, and hookerwear. If you want normal, contemporary clothing, you will be shopping elsewhere. 15 months after release, the genesis wardrobe is pretty bare as far as clothing you could wear to the office (or to the mall).

As far as looking at other software, Poser will always be there for you (with documentation, no less).

For me, I am a small business owner and need to find another source of income ( or two ) in this economy and I both need to make clothing for rendered images for clients and I really would love to sell clothing content that is family friendly. I can do the modeling however when I look at the daz help center all the links are broken except for genesis stuff so I might use cararra basic for the modeling, I do like the modeling room in it but use poser (or other software) to do rigging, etc. BTW: I shop at lot of place online. I sunk well over $2000.00 in software, content and tutors trying to find another source of income for my small business.

I have poser 2012 so I plan to spend some time on poser tutors this week.

edited October 2012

KimberSue said:

I know and that is not my issue. For example, I have a client who need promotional items girls softball team and another client who wants artwork for a book she written and both require I make custom clothing which making the model is not a issue but (feeling like a pain in the butt on the forum) I have tried to figure out rigging, etc ... and all the tutors are for genesis or the links on the daz are broken. I sick of daz broken links on the help guide to anything other than genesis.

Yeah, a lot of the CCT info is on the forums, and tutorials are scattered on personal sites.

The old Artzone wikis, are here, if you're looking for FST. (I'm not sure what it has). The forums and personal sites have a wealth of info on modeling and rigging, and there are tutorials for sale at every big brokerage.

The forum here, at Rendo, and RDNA are loaded with people who are anxious to talk about the older knowledge.

Good luck with your endeavors.

If you run Firefox, there are links in my sig, to automatically translate old-forum links, and load the pictures normally.

Someone else has a method for another browser (not IE), but I lost track...

Googling site:http://www.daz3d.com will get you both old and new forums. You can answer almost any question that way.

(The more urgent your need, the more pages of links, you'll have to click past, of course. But most of the time, it's on the 1st page).

Poser is fine for that work. There's a very nice manual. But the Poser forums are loaded with questions too, because no manual ever covers enough.

edited October 2012

ssgbryan said:

As far as the kids, look at the content that is sold at DAZ - vendors here are really into impractical armor, impractical spaceware, and hookerwear.

No, no. Customers drive what is made. Supply and demand. If people demanded AND BOUGHT practical stuff, then that's what would have been made. But since that isn't the case, that's what's in every store, not just DAZ. In fact, they're mostly covered up more here than other places.

If you want normal, contemporary clothing, you will be shopping elsewhere.
    No you'd be out of luck. Because that's not what people are buying.

15 months after release, the genesis wardrobe is pretty bare as far as clothing you could wear to the office (or to the mall).
    Well V4 has yet to have an outfit that shecould wear in an office without being sent home without pay. How long has she been out? ;)

Why's that? Because people aren't going to buy it; so those types of outfits aren't being made.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

If you are looking for tutorials on legacy Poser type rigging aka conformers, there are several sources.

One is Lady Littlefox's tutorials that are available for purchase at RDNA. RDNA's annual half off sale is coming up and the bundle is well worth it.

If you can locate a copy, the original rigging bible is still:

The Secrets of Figure Creation by BL Render.

BL Render sells here at DAZ as bloodsong. The vendor's eagle and antelope expansion packs are still some of the best around and the Wee Beasties are a load of fun.

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:

As far as the kids, look at the content that is sold at DAZ - vendors here are really into impractical armor, impractical spaceware, and hookerwear.

No, no. Customers drive what is made. Supply and demand. If people demanded AND BOUGHT practical stuff, then that's what would have been made. But since that isn't the case, that's what's in every store, not just DAZ. In fact, they're mostly covered up more here than other places.

If you want normal, contemporary clothing, you will be shopping elsewhere.
    No you'd be out of luck. Because that's not what people are buying.

15 months after release, the genesis wardrobe is pretty bare as far as clothing you could wear to the office (or to the mall).

Well V4 has yet to have an outfit that shecould wear in an office without being sent home without pay. How long has she been out? ;)

Why's that? Because people aren't going to buy it; so those types of outfits aren't being made.

Depends on what customers you have to what drives demand. I've had an online business selling digital good since 1997 which was very successful till the last few years but my point is that there are people out here who want family friendly items like Mom’s, church groups, day care centers and I could go on with an endless list.

Once upon a time people said that no one but professionals would use adobe photo shop and now come standard in many computers. And you would be surprised how many work at home Mom I know who uses 3d software. To make my point, once up on a time people said you have a yahoo groups and now it all about twitter and facebook. Things change and successful business stay on top of that. I love to at some point do a 3d tutors in Moms terms web site once I learn enough.

edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    KimberSue said:

Yeah, a lot of the CCT info is on the forums, and tutorials are scattered on personal sites.

The old Artzone wikis, are here, if you're looking for FST. (I'm not sure what it has). The forums and personal sites have a wealth of info on modeling and rigging, and there are tutorials for sale at every big brokerage.

The forum here, at Rendo, and RDNA are loaded with people who are anxious to talk about the older knowledge.

Good luck with your endeavors.

If you run Firefox, there are links in my sig, to automatically translate old-forum links, and load the pictures normally.

Someone else has a method for another browser (not IE), but I lost track...

Googling site:http://www.daz3d.com will get you both old and new forums. You can answer almost any question that way.

(The more urgent your need, the more pages of links, you'll have to click past, of course. But most of the time, it's on the 1st page).

Poser is fine for that work. There's a very nice manual. But the Poser forums are loaded with questions too, because no manual ever covers enough.

Thanks for the links. I'm exhausted from having to fight to find information since they pulled the wonderful very informative old forum. The old forum was great to look up any topic and find answers plus few of the help center links work and picture are gone. I printed the 800+ page carrara manual and spend the weekend reading it and why I might buy the basic version but I personally feel even with all the great people on have helped me on the forum with questions, it is time to go look at other software. I'm exhausted and worn out from jumping to this bookmarked page to that bookmarked page trying to learn what I need to learn. I spend a ton of tutors and done with daz for now.

Plus I thought if I learned about daz that I could get my professional mom business owners group interested in the free software, lot of them own day care centers, children learning centers, shirt design shop, etc and get a bit of income going coming in from them if I sold clothing for those people but daz going for adult genesis and my groups (of 12 years) is going to want kids figure so I going to go in another direction. I got a 2 year plan layed out for this 3d software starting with custom renders and ending with my mom business owners.

Just venting... Thanks for all the helpful people on this forum.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    If you are looking for tutorials on legacy Poser type rigging aka conformers, there are several sources.

One is Lady Littlefox's tutorials that are available for purchase at RDNA. RDNA's annual half off sale is coming up and the bundle is well worth it.

If you can locate a copy, the original rigging bible is still:

The Secrets of Figure Creation by BL Render.

BL Render sells here at DAZ as bloodsong. The vendor's eagle and antelope expansion packs are still some of the best around and the Wee Beasties are a load of fun.

Thank you, I looked at Lady Littlefox’s tutorials today and considering getting those. I'll call my book store guy tomorrow and ask him if he can get me a copy of the book. I have a nook but nothing is better than a real books.. lol lol

edited December 1969

KimberSue said:

Depends on what customers you have to what drives demand. I've had an online business selling digital good since 1997 which was very successful till the last few years but my point is that there are people out here who want family friendly items like Mom’s, church groups, day care centers and I could go on with an endless list.

Unfortunately, those people don't buy the majority of content. This subject has been discussed over and over, and each time it boils down to what sells... and you can take a quick look at the most popular items on each store out there and you'll see shots of big breasts and butts, and you'll see how well practical clothes would sell in comparison.

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

I don't think that is totally the case. I reckon why there are so many dresses for the boys, and short jackets that stop at the umbilicus rather than the hips is that they are easier to model and go with other clothes better without needing fit morphs etc. You could sell 5 things that are hard to make or one thing that is quick and easy to make, to give you time to make more things that you sell 1 of instead of 5 of.
    Love esther

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    I don't think that is totally the case. I reckon why there are so many dresses for the boys, and short jackets that stop at the umbilicus rather than the hips is that they are easier to model and go with other clothes better without needing fit morphs etc. You could sell 5 things that are hard to make or one thing that is quick and easy to make, to give you time to make more things that you sell 1 of instead of 5 of.
    Love esther

Funny thing about more elaborate clothing is that that is the harder it is to morph and harder it is to pose in a render. which means I can't render as many images for a set in as short a time. So I find myself avoiding long dresses because I have a few and never have time to pose the frilly bits. Same goes for ornate decorations around the arms. So that steers my buying habits too. And for those who are pure hobbyist, the easier the better. My personal concern is laziness but efficiency. If I don't create a few dozen renders in a set about of time I end up with pennies an hour.

Not saying you are wrong, I'm sure that is a small part of the equation, not a 5 to 1 scenario though. I'm sure a larger bit of it all has to do with the fact that people buy what catches their eyes. Even though you can use trans maps or simply remove pieces of clothing to make it more skimpwear centric a fully clothed set doesn't grab your eye as much.

This is coming from a guy who sells skimpwear renders so my opinion is biased as they come.

edited December 1969

I use my renders for my graphic novel. Quite a few people are making comics etc. You just have to find the right clothes to fit the story for these sorts of renders.
    Love esther

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

daz going for adult genesis

It really is not DAZ. PA's make most of the content and most of them want to be able to pay the bills with their work just like everyone else does. In general if product X for a Vicky sells 100 copies then a similar product for Mike will sell around 50 and a product for a child will with a good deal of luck sell 25. A product that is only going to suit children is just not going to pay back the time that has gone into the product very often. BTW..my personal stats for Kid products is more like 10 or 15 percent of what I would have made on a product aimed at the victoria market.

edited December 1969

It's very good of you to support those other figures then.
    Love esther

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/clothing-accessories?cat=1111&compat_figures=28

56 out of the 254 Genesis clothing items listed (not counting add-on textures)