Normal ... make it and render it. Render, morph and texture challenge with prizes! [CHALLENGE!]

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    Nice, Virtual_World!

I would love to get the Man in the Mirror morphs for Genesis.

Nice Texture, too! :)

I like the composition in the above, Kendall. It's good but I can't see a lot of detail on the figures, unfortunately. I would prefer a little closer subjects so that I can more clearly adjudicate their... er... normalcy. :)

The Man in the Mirror morphs Gen X over nicely.

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

"Pretty is nice, but still it's just pretty! Perfect, my dear, is MEEEEEEEEE!"

Sorry, had to be said. :P Cool theme; I think I may have an entry soon...

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

This is one of the Man in the Mirror morphs via Gen X on Genesis mixed in with some of RawArt's Kumar morph; the texture is Raw's Kumar as well.

Face-1.jpg
    848 x 1061 - 440K
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

Interesting thread, i had just read it yesterday and then had to hit Walmart and saw this very scenario and thought of a render, LOL

Entitled "DO THESE JEANS MAKE MY BUTT LOOK BIG??"

Both genesis and luxrender,

Normal really depends on the circle of people you hang around also. Most the the people I hang with are from the mens club scene and working out, so my normal isn't far off from perfect looking V4s

buttjeans.jpg
    1158 x 918 - 1M
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,648
    edited December 1969

This is fun. I love creating characters. Can we enter more than once? :cheese:

Genesis character morphs created by me spinning dials.
    Products used:
    His texture is mostly Yago for M4, added Ulrich's eybrows. His teeth are Agnes' (kind of yellow.) He's wearing M4 Urban Wear top with Fabricator knit texture and my diffuse color
    Her texture is Gabriella for V5. She has Classic Rolled Hair for Genesis. Her outfit is Summer Night. The earrings are for Summer Dress, Breezy texture.
    St Micheal's Gate in background.

tourists.jpg
    1343 x 1200 - 549K
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Billy is awesomesauce. Good render too! Nice texture!

Good goin' Laticis!

What textures and morphs did you use?

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

"DO THESE JEANS MAKE MY BUTT LOOK BIG??"

"You ask that question like it's a bad thing."

----

Anyways, "normal" is a rather subjective thing but I'd argue that not only do most people not fit into the optimized V4s, even the people who do interact with athletes and models probably get a bit more variance. Then you chalk in all the social and cultural differences that cause some differences in standards of beauty and the conversation changes up a bit in interesting ways.

----

Hmm, I had an idea for the contest entry but now I'm slightly leaning away from it. However, that would leave me without a valid entry.

edited October 2012

Luci45 said:
    This is fun. I love creating characters. Can we enter more than once? :cheese:

Genesis character morphs created by me spinning dials.
    Products used:
    His texture is mostly Yago for M4, added Ulrich's eybrows. His teeth are Agnes' (kind of yellow.) He's wearing M4 Urban Wear top with Fabricator knit texture and my diffuse color
    Her texture is Gabriella for V5. She has Classic Rolled Hair for Genesis. Her outfit is Summer Night. The earrings are for Summer Dress, Breezy texture.
    St Micheal's Gate in background.

Wow! Awesome job! This i what i am talking about. Looks like a couple you might bump into in the neighborhood.

You CAN enter more than once but... I will only award one prize per person... but if you have more in the running, then you have a better chance of placing. :)

Post edited by RKane_1 on
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    "DO THESE JEANS MAKE MY BUTT LOOK BIG??"

"You ask that question like it's a bad thing."

Ain't nuttin' wrong wit a little buttermilk in da biscuit! :)

Anyways, "normal" is a rather subjective thing but I'd argue that not only do most people not fit into the optimized V4s, even the people who do interact with athletes and models probably get a bit more variance. Then you chalk in all the social and cultural differences that cause some differences in standards of beauty and the conversation changes up a bit in interesting ways.

While this is true, it is also true that nearly all the models sold are either near perfect model types OR hideously deformed. I would LOVE to have Man in the Mirror or I am for Genesis without the need to import thru GenX. I don't have the older generation 4 stuff for 4.2 and the morphs involved bought up and I don't own GenX. I would even love just a straight translation of those so I wouldn't have to invest in all the morphs and then GenX just to get them when they could be made affordable to me by offering them in a pack that I am sure would sell well while the Genesis fervor is here. Not to mention how well they would sell if DAZ manages to pull off Genesis for Poser. (Not holding my breath but silently hoping.)

Hmm, I had an idea for the contest entry but now I'm slightly leaning away from it. However, that would leave me without a valid entry.

What was your idea and what would make you lean away from it? Now you have me interested, darn you! *chuckle*

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    While this is true, it is also true that nearly all the models sold are either near perfect model types OR hideously deformed.

I'd argue that some of the supposedly "perfect" models are mildly unnerving but I've been trying to avoid that rant thread.

What was your idea and what would make you lean away from it? Now you have me interested, darn you! *chuckle*

I think the base idea is still decent, I was just thinking the potential model/morph might be "too good" based upon current submissions. Granted, my thought process operates a little bit differently. While the attached image isn't the morph I was going to use, it was suggested that I post it as an NAE and I felt the image didn't suit the thread.

Portrait_2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 71K
    edited October 2012

ZamuelNow said:
    RKane_1 said:
    While this is true, it is also true that nearly all the models sold are either near perfect model types OR hideously deformed.

I'd argue that some of the supposedly "perfect" models are mildly unnerving but I've been trying to avoid that rant thread.

See my comment below. *smile*

ZamuelNow said:

I think the base idea is still decent, I was just thinking the potential model/morph might be "too good" based upon current submissions. Granted, my thought process operates a little bit differently. While the attached image isn't the morph I was going to use, it was suggested that I post it as an NAE and I felt the image didn't suit the thread.

I like her. I think she is pretty but still somewhat earthy and does not seem like the supermodel type at all. Normal doesn't mean ugly, but it doesn't mean super-hyper-anorexic figure that still somehow supports and hug rack with a minuscule nose, huge eyes, and lips that need to be deflated.

Mind you, she is a bit on the pretty side with a great complexion. So she is pushing it but is still a good submission. Maybe if you showed the rest of her?

:)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

Products Used (From DAZ unless otherwise specified)
    DAZ Studio 4.5 Beta
    DAZ Studio distant lights and UE2
    Genesis
    Candace for S5 morphs
    Evolution Head and Body Morphs
    DieTrying's 182 V4 Morphs for Genesis (ShareCG)
    Nigel for M5 textures, modified in Photoshop to add moles
    Hampton Hair, diffuse modified coordinate color with brows
    Summer Casuals Sun Hat
    Juggler for V4
    The Fabricator
    Heatherlee knits copper cable texture for The Fabricator (ShareCG)
    Wilmap's assorted textures 2 for The Fabricator (ShareCG)
    Jewels of Architecture SE: Orientalia Vol 1 fabric texture for shawl
    Background photo I took in Denver Botanic Garden

Normal_Person_1.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 755K
    edited October 2012

VERY well done. I like it. Well thought out and executed!

Good job, barbult!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited October 2012

RKane_1 said:
    ZamuelNow said:
    RKane_1 said:

See my comment below. *smile*

ZamuelNow said:

I like her. I think she is pretty but still somewhat earthy and does not seem like the supermodel type at all. Normal doesn't mean ugly, but it doesn't mean super-hyper-anorexic figure that still somehow supports and hug rack with a minuscule nose, huge eyes, and lips that need to be deflated.

Mind you, she is a bit on the pretty side with a great complexion. So she is pushing it but is still a good submission. Maybe if you showed the rest of her?

Agreed. Normal for me is not ugly although it could be, Normal is people you might see everyday on the street and they could even be nice-looking in a hometown sort of way.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

Agreed. Normal for me is not ugly although it could be, Normal is people you might see everyday on the street and they could even be nice-looking in a hometown sort of way.

Agreed... people can be TOO pretty which is what I often see in here in the forums. Fantasy is cool and all but I need a little normal in my fantasy too.

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

Agreed... people can be TOO pretty which is what I often see in here in the forums. Fantasy is cool and all but I need a little normal in my fantasy too.

I think there's three specific points from my perspective (and I don't think these reflect on any of the posters here):
    1) Media skews the perspective of "normal". Only the hyper attractive get portrayed even when it's explicitly supposed to be a not as "attractive" character. And even they get misrepresented. So much Photoshop is done to already attractive women where you'd wonder if they'd be better off with a 3D model. Which leads to...
    2) Synthetic appearances. It's not that they look "too pretty", it's that they simply look fake. Plus there's a level of homogeneity going on. Model A from a vendor might be pretty attractive but Model B from the same vendor and Model C from another vendor look so similar so it makes me wonder while buy all three when buying one and then getting a good face morph set seems more sensible. Then there's other things like vacant expressions that just make the characters seem...empty.
    3) Standard of beauty. A somewhat overall term for what is deemed attractive but it seems limiting to an almost cruel degree. Some women are deemed unattractive when they are merely different in appearance and this seems to more dis-proportionally affect weight and race.

Bah, all this ranting and I still haven't even started my render.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Here goes...

My entry.

I call him Norm. The picture is called First Cup.

The kitchen: http://www.sharecg.com/v/40667/gallery/5/3D-Model/Simple-Kitchen-scene-for-Maya/Poser-etc.

Robe and coffee cup are self made and not uploaded anywhere, yet. The cup is ready to package and will probably be uploaded this weekend. The robe, while being rigged (basic) has some weight map problems that I need to work over with the weight pain brush, so it will be a while before it goes up. It is textured by use of a Fabricator preset.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/60586/View/7/Material-and-Shader/J-Tex-Tartan-2-for-Fabricator

His boxers are the ones included in DS4.5, also given the Fabricator treatment.

Finally, Norm, himself...

He's a FBM for Genesis, sculpted in Blender. I used the Millghost import/export script to get him in and out of Blender. His skin texture is Thomas, by Phoenix1966.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/thomas-for-m4-and-genesis-m5

The hair is 3Dream's BoyHair: http://www.arrow3d.com/

The image was postworked in GIMP to add steam to the coffee (I tried to do a Blender smoke-sim, but couldn't get it wispy enough...) and signature.

Lighting is UberEnvironment2 and a single distant light.

Rendered in DS 4.5

norm.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 665K
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

Title: First Day On The Job
    Setup in: DS4.5/Reality Bridge
    Rendered in: LuxRender
    Postworked in: Paint.net, to fix some texture seams (Reality/Lux don't seem to like Nathen on Genesis) and odd bright spots.

Figure: Genesis with M5, Evolution and DieTrying Morphs dialspun and M4 Ethnique Nathen skin
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/michael-5
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-evolution-morph-bundle
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-V4-Morphs-for-Genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/m4-ethnique-nathen

Clothes and briefcase: Morphing Business Suit Bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/morphing-business-suit-bundle

Background: Backdrops Made Easy
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/backdrops-made-easy

AudieStockbroker.jpg
    960 x 1358 - 564K
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

I recall our host of this thread, RKane_1, said we could post multiple entries...if not so, then this is just a follow up. Here's An Old Lady. I still see some blue-haired old ladies out shopping with their big handbags, which are normal people whose beauty may have flown away over time.

I was pleased to learn how to import Victoria4.2 into DAZ4.0 with her Morphs++ from a Youtube tutorial, name of creator escapes me just now. I didn't used V4 -Aged I was able to get the eye bags and the thick chin and jaw ok tweaking morphs. Gloria Hair, Urban Chic Blouse (and Skirt), Carpet Bag by Traveller, part of skin the regular skin of the V4 model, and Elinor just the face mat, sort of by accident, (part of Elinor and Nevil) jewelry by Jeweled Finery.

AnOldLady.jpg
    800 x 855 - 68K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited October 2012

IceScribe said:
    I recall our host of this thread, RKane_1, said we could post multiple entries...if not so, then this is just a follow up. Here's An Old Lady. I still see some blue-haired old ladies out shopping with their big handbags, which are normal people whose beauty may have flown away over time.

Just a little OT, and not meant to take umbrage with the quoted post, but I wanted to point out that a woman's beauty comes from the inside. A pretty woman can be horribly ugly, whilst a homely one can be ravishingly beautiful. How she presents herself is what defines her beauty. Age doesn't affect that.

Unfortunately, there are too many ugly pretty women running around these days. I don't lay the blame wholly on them, society has taught them incorrectly.

Us men however.... well, we're just ogres.

Shrek, err, Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Shrek, err, Kendall

Don't you mean onions?

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Shrek, err, Kendall

Don't you mean onions?

:cheese:

Kendall

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

IceScribe said:

Just a little OT, and not meant to take umbrage with the quoted post, but I wanted to point out that a woman's beauty comes from the inside. A pretty woman can be horribly ugly, whilst a homely one can be ravishingly beautiful. How she presents herself is what defines her beauty. Age doesn't affect that.

Unfortunately, there are too many ugly pretty women running around these days. I don't lay the blame wholly on them, society has taught them incorrectly.

Shrek, err, Kendall

@Kendall
    About them onions...or ogres... his lady's inner ogre was more beautiful green than human to Shrek. So, no umbrage, I agree---but I did hedge with "may have" flown, LOL! I think my old lady looks very nice for her age, and perhaps illness. When we notice a person just passing them by, we are not always struck by their inner selves but only by what we perceive what time and experience has painted on the external person. This may bring out true Beauty, but not conform to the perfect style of an M4/V4 model, our host's plaint. Also, old age and injury are not automatic "monster" makers either, although I guess some zombie fans might say otherwise. It's an interesting twist to the challenge: can we as 3d artists bring out an inner beauty of a less idealized V4/M4 (or other models)? I think the young girl render posted earlier comes very close. As for pretty girls who are mean inside, they will probably not grow old beautifully with permanent scowls writing their temperament on their faces. I actually watched a Bridezilla episiode, OMG! Why doesn't anyone tell those "brides" to shut up, and leave?Heh, if that's the day they are the most "beautiful" Yikes! I did think my Busboy was not ugly, just not M4 handsome.

edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    IceScribe said:

Shrek, err, Kendall

@Kendall
    About them onions...or ogres... his lady's inner ogre was more beautiful green than human to Shrek. So, no umbrage, I agree---but I did hedge with "may have" flown, LOL! I think my old lady looks very nice for her age, and perhaps illness. When we notice a person just passing them by, we are not always struck by their inner selves but only by what we perceive what time and experience has painted on the external person. This may bring out true Beauty, but not conform to the perfect style of an M4/V4 model, our host's plaint. Also, old age and injury are not automatic "monster" makers either, although I guess some zombie fans might say otherwise. It's an interesting twist to the challenge: can we as 3d artists bring out an inner beauty of a less idealized V4/M4 (or other models)? I think the young girl render posted earlier comes very close. As for pretty girls who are mean inside, they will probably not grow old beautifully with permanent scowls writing their temperament on their faces. I actually watched a Bridezilla episiode, OMG! Why doesn't anyone tell those "brides" to shut up, and leave?Heh, if that's the day they are the most "beautiful" Yikes! I did think my Busboy was not ugly, just not M4 handsome.

I fully agree with you. Just wanted to remind folks, especially folks used to seeing/making "pretty", not to forget what true beauty is. A friend of mine here on the forums runs a contest during June that I don't participate in. It is a "fun" contest, but I cannot bring myself to create a "hag" as I can envision a situation where someone creates a "hag" and that "hag" resembles someone. As a father of a beautiful young lady, I can say that there's little that could ever make me think of her as ugly (little = those teenage girl fits! yuck! :-) ) and every woman is someone's daughter.

It just so happens that your comment allowed for a convenient lectern. :-)

Just some musings from smelly, fuzzy onion.
    Kendall

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Not a submission, 'cause I did this in 2010 and don't remember what I used (except for the hair, it's AprilYSH's Deeta). But I think it meets your challenge. DAZ|Studio (2x? 3x?) render, larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Pink for a Portrait

Pink_for_a_Portrait_by_KickAir8P.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited October 2012

Before anyone goes "ack, supermodel!" -- she doesn't look like it now, does she? Looks pretty ordinary, yeah? That's the Reby Sky fG morphs with the Reby Sky fV4 natural textures; back when I was ninja-testing this I was impressed by the imperfect realism of the face, especially the larger, slightly hooked nose. Reby can be beautiful, sure, when she's working at it -- but that's not what's happening here.

DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Diner Defender

DinerDefender2000.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

This contest was open 'till 16th, right? Oh! NOVEMBER 16th. WHEW! Then I have time to go and do couple of photo ref snapshots for backgrounds. :) Cool. :)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

Not a submission, 'cause I did this in 2010 and don't remember what I used (except for the hair, it's AprilYSH's Deeta). But I think it meets your challenge. DAZ|Studio (2x? 3x?) render, larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Pink for a Portrait

Beautiful render! She looks like a nice woman.
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited December 1969

Not an entry cause I don't remember what I used except the MFD and some dial spinning on V4

Carrie_in_Nevada.jpg
    656 x 496 - 71K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

I call this as "Faces in Local Supermarket".

I live in an area where lots of different sort of people live: old people, young people, students from all over the country and world, refugees, immigrants etc. Whenever I head to local supermarket, these are the faces I see.

Lots of freebies went into this one. There will be a picture within supermarket context as well, but that has to wait 'till tomorrow, when I can go and snap my piccy.

Listing currently visible resources:

1) Upper left corner, the Muslim girl:
    Wilmap's long-sleeved t-shirt for Genesis (freebie)
    Freebie hijab from DAZ for V3 (not available at the moment), converted to Genesis; shader from Fabricator
    Indira's skin

2) Bottom left corner, the Muslim woman:
    Same freebie hijab as above, with the included coin decoration, and colors and engravings are from Gemologica
    Shawl from Urban Shabby Chic set, with one of the Afghan shaders from Totally Bazaar bundle
    Skin is from Niara

Both have handcrafted faces, a combination of merchant resource morphs and Hexagon work. Both have eye colors borrowed from Philip.

3) Upper right corner, the elderly Finnish woman:
    Hair is from Noemie
    Earrings are from Boudoir Bliss for Genesis Female as is the necklace
    T-shirt is from Short Order Cook for Genesis, with Fabricator applied to it, while keeping its original bump and displacement map.

4) Bottom right corner, the middle-aged Finnish man:
    Hair is Mitch hair freebie by AprilYSH
    Coat is from Sports Time for Genesis
    Shirt is yet another Wilmap's freebie, Genesis Male Underwear
    Stubble is from Unshaven Bundle for Genesis

Both Finns use skin from Aged for V4/M4, with varying levels of displacement.

Normal_People-Faces_in_Local_Supermarket_01.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M