Comments

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

thank you again CarlDesmond and welcome back smiley

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

I make a cake,. :)

cakey1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 210K
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915

Hey guys, did you realize that this is a zombie thread from 2013.

Guess that would make it the 13th anniversary now.

glad i didn't make the candles.  doh!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    YamahaTX said:

Morph Tutorial

What Does Anybody Know About Setting Uo Morph Injections Like Phil Wilkes Tutorial.

DIM Will Not Operate - So please Help-out.

Mechtrof14

this quote is from this year looking for help.

I'd need more info on exactly what is meant by "DIM will not operate"  ,. and why that's an issue.

Dim works on Mac and PC,. it's a download , and install manager,. it downloads and installs files from your account at Daz 3D,

it has nothing to do with morphs, or how the installed files work with a program,.

You can Manually download you content from Your Library, in you Account,. and install those to your daz3d Library,. or a custom location.

If the issue is that you've installed a product which has morphs,. but the Morphs don't work in Carrara, or don't appear in carrara,. then it's most likely an installation issue,.

If you're manually installing files,. that's more likey.

In carrara, you can create your own morphs

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited July 2016

FYI: Anyone whom has any sort of interest in Carrara, this compilation is truly a "Must Have"!!!

Packed with all manner of Carrara Goodness, 3DXTRACT Ezine collection, complete with working files to go along with the tutorials and such... you just owe it to yourself to download this! Thanks again, Carl!!!

This image was made using the November 2003 ezine. 

Is that the first issue?

3DXtract_Magazine_Example.jpg
    778 x 738 - 668K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

I am glad this got brought up from the 'basement'.... and it was good to see Garstor, Evil and Dart again!!  I have downloaded it... takes some time as it's a big file. Just on a lookover, there are some great basic skills in there.

yes  Silene

FYI: Anyone whom has any sort of interest in Carrara, this compilation is truly a "Must Have"!!!

Packed with all manner of Carrara Goodness, 3DXTRACT Ezine collection, complete with working files to go along with the tutorials and such... you just owe it to yourself to download this! Thanks again, Carl!!!

SileneUK said:

I am glad this got brought up from the 'basement'.... and it was good to see Garstor, Evil and Dart again!!  I have downloaded it... takes some time as it's a big file. Just on a lookover, there are some great basic skills in there.

yes  Silene

Yes! And a bunch of great reading and renders to gaze upon! ;)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Grabbed it... can't wait to take some time to check it out.

SileneUK, everyone can benefit from the skill. I will.

Dart, thanks for showing a pic... got a chuckle from the DCG add mentioning early versions of Carrara Studio... I started with Carrara 4.

So cool! I also have the complete collection of C3DE, which is also just wonderful. I have a tiny laptop (10.3" screen) that I use for waiting rooms, trips, etc.,

I have all of these Carrara magazines (3DEXTRACT and C3DE) on it... great time for some good ol' Carrara perusing! ;)

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I have downloaded it last night then will look at it soon.

edited July 2016

Amazing! Okay, I opened the pdf version of the index, since I'm not savvy enough to figure out what to do with an ".idx" file, so that I could sort my folders by adding "01 - " thru "18 - " prefix to put them all in simplistic numerical order.

During this process, I couldn't help noticing "Mark Bremmer", "Mike Moir", and more. "ILM" caught my eye, so I opened up the November 2004 issue to have a quick look.

Brian Hinton starts off the issue with a really cool article on syching sound file with animations, which includes advice I've got from both evilproducer and Holly Wetcircuit: Buy Quicktime Pro... it's handy! The way Brian mentions it, it reminds me of how I'm always saying that Howler 'belongs' in Carrara's toolkit.... LOL

Both Mike and Mark are also contributors to this issue as with Eric Winemiller of Digital Carver's Guild, whom is talking about features of his plugin "Ground Control", which I never knew existed in it! The magazine metions other features, like the fact that Grond Control goes beyond other height map conversion of grayscales, by allowing the conversion to result in Mesh, Terrain, Anything Grooves, or even the new Ground Control Primitive(!!!), but Eric's cool tutorial is featuring a new function that GC adds to the Terrain editor, which allows us to use a Carrara Master Shader multiplied by a height to be added to whatever other terrain functions we have going on! Like his example of putting an ancient wall across the terrain, but the possibilities of such a thing is incredibly endless!!!

I can't wait to read Mike and Mark's articles, as with all the rest. This whole series is certainly a cover-to-cover read! As Steven Tyler of Aerosmith sings: :I don't want to Miss a Thing!"

3DXtract_MagNov_Example.jpg
    931 x 738 - 642K

Additionally, I hope that the authors don't mind my posting of edited screen-shots. If this is found to be unacceptable, please let me know and I'll change/remove them ;)

Update from two posts previous:

Yikes! I've just finished reading the November 2004 Issue (had many interruptions in between) and I must say... this is an Excellent magazine!

I haven't tried playing with any of the support files yet or messing around with any of the techniques taught, but having studied many of these approaches before, I can certainly testify to their value.

Harvey White, Mike Moir, and Mark Bremmer have contributed some really nice information - and certainly a fine read! I've already mentioned, two posts up, that Brian, Eric, and Editor Carl have provided some awesome tutorials that stole my attention away - getting me to feel the urge to finish the whole e-zine cover-to-cover. 

I love the old ads, the imagery, the enthusiasm, the wonderful atmosphere of the publication... bravo! If this thing still existed, I'd certainly be a subscriber! 

I'll certainly be starting over from the beginning of November 2003, Issue #1, and reading them all, from cover to cover. I love this!

In this (November 2004) issue, Mike Moir is introducing us all to the all new Carrara 4 Pro Realistic Sky!!! Just priceless!

edited September 2020

Download 3DXTRACT PDFS AND SUPPORT FILES
    http://www.NiceGuy.com/transfer/3dxtract_all.zip

Hey all,
    I was just talking on the phone with Andrew Turner and he reminded me that back in 2002 (was it then? so long ago... can't remember... any way...) my wife "allowed" me to purchase Carrara for X-mas! I enjoyed it so much and couldn't wait to learn more and more. After reading the manual I couldn't find any tutorials or additional content online, so I decided I had to provide it. I launched 3DXTRACT and I offered $50 (USD) payment for each tutorial submitted and took the time to read, edit, and as it interested me, step through the tutorials. I wrote articles, interviews etc. and I learned a lot from the experience. I enjoyed every issue and interaction to say the least. For those that contributed, thank you so much! It was an awesome time! For those that read and purchased it, thank you even more! For those that never had the chance to be a part of all the typos and improper English... well, you can now re-live the early 2000's all over again by downloading the link above. All the issues are provided and searchable using the PDX file contained within. 500MB in all. Surprisingly, a lot of the tutorials still apply to Carrara 8.5! Some things never change ;)

P.S> I still love my wife, I have had 2 more children since then... and I did upgrade to Carrara 8.5... Still learning as always.

Download 3DXTRACT PDFS AND SUPPORT FILES
    http://www.NiceGuy.com/transfer/3dxtract_all.zip

The link he included in his post was active for a number of years, but alas - no longer.

It feels sad to let something this special pass into inaccess, and it sounds to me like he wanted to share this treasure with the Carrara world, so I'm hosting them here for all of us late-bloomers and veterans alike to enjoy and learn from.

Enjoy!

3DXtract e-zine Collection

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Thank you Dartanbeck for keeping these resources alive.  yes
    Another priceless resource of Carrara knowledge.

My pleasure! Doing such things fills me with joy and a certain peacefulness! ;)

• Hello, 

Can we host these magazines in Carrara Cafe as well? 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,404

Wow! Very cool, Dartanbeck and Carl Desmond. I downloaded the lot and will begin reading. Thanks :)

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949

+ 1  ~  suppose ought to read these  ~

Very cool reading! There's tutorials from Mike Moir, Jack Whitney and many others, Eric W has tutorials for some of the DCG plugins... very cool stuff with the working files included!

There's even a tutorial on getting a star ship to take off vertically, turn in place and fly away, come back, hover and land using nothing but forces! So Cool!!!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949

~  alrite then _ thanx   ~

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Thanks for the links.  Just downloaded them.  Nostalgic seeing some of the contributors.

Diomede said:

Thanks for the links.  Just downloaded them.  Nostalgic seeing some of the contributors.

Speaking of delicious Nostalgia:

► Classic Carrara - Render Images by Ringo Monfort

3DAGE said:

I make a cake,. :)

...and although I accidentally ate the rest of Andy's cake, I'm still craving more!