Question about Generation X - K4

jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am working on a project that uses a K4 female and her morphs. I am just starting to work with Genesis now and would like to transfer my K4 female character to Genesis. I do have Generation X updated for DS4.5 but have not used it yet. Will this plugin transfer morphs for K4?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

ISTR the DSF Toolbox adds K4 capability to GenX using the autofit clone -- not sure what would be involved in doing so without it.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    It works, basically, but I've not had good luck mixing Clone-based K4 characters with other genesis characters. As in...terrible things happen to the mesh.

I'll have to revisit, and hope I was doing something wrong... I wish DAZ would make a 'Classics Shapes: K4' product, so it would Just Work.

-- Morgan

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

Two people have talked about making K4 from the autofit clone, without the DSF Toolbox. But I haven't heard a word about how.

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    It works, basically, but I've not had good luck mixing Clone-based K4 characters with other genesis characters. As in...terrible things happen to the mesh.

The body, or the face, too?

I've been warned that the converted clone won't respond well to adding body morphs. (I have the tools, but haven't had the time).

But the faces are the important part, the body can be done with shapes, or scaling.

Many believe that the child shape is a match for K4's body, anyhow.

I wish DAZ would make a ‘Classics Shapes: K4’ product, so it would Just Work.

Preaching to the choir.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

I am only interested in doing the face character right now and leaving the body the way it is. Maybe I should pose a question to DT directly.

edited December 1969

jaebea said:
    I am only interested in doing the face character right now and leaving the body the way it is. Maybe I should pose a question to DT directly.

He would know. Meanwhile, I'll try to get around to something tonight...

Like I say, I don't know if face morphs will work.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited December 1969

This was an exercise in autofit using an GenX import (heads only) of Tosca's Emma, mixed with a freebie K4 morph from RDNA's christmas freebies last year or maybe the year before.

You have to apply basic child first, otherwise you get a full-sized Genesis with a kid's face. I've also brought over Shamus O'Shaunessy, both Head and body morphs. Again, it applies full size unless you apply Basic Child first.

Alice.jpg
    432 x 760 - 100K
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    Two people have talked about making K4 from the autofit clone, without the DSF Toolbox. But I haven't heard a word about how.

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,

Many believe that the child shape is a match for K4's body, anyhow.

I wish DAZ would make a ‘Classics Shapes: K4’ product, so it would Just Work.

Preaching to the choir.

What we need is a package of the Gen3 kids as well as K4. They were around long enough for there to be rather a lot of nice characters for them, as well as at least a few outfits which would be welcome. (There were a few good things for MilBaby 3 that I wouldn't mind using for the Genesis Baby, but haven't tried bringing it in yet.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    This was an exercise in autofit using an GenX import (heads only) of Tosca's Emma, mixed with a freebie K4 morph from RDNA's christmas freebies last year or maybe the year before.

You have to apply basic child first, otherwise you get a full-sized Genesis with a kid's face. I've also brought over Shamus O'Shaunessy, both Head and body morphs. Again, it applies full size unless you apply Basic Child first.

Wow! That's an amazing result!

So does the child shape's face work well for replicating the original face, with GenX conversions?

I googled the forums, to refresh my memory... there was a hint...

Does GenX import them by itself, or do you need DSF toolbox?

Is that RDNA freebie Clara? I have that one! (I need to finally install that, forgot about it. I was trying to figure out which K4 characters I have, and didn't even think of that).

I hope I can get started tonight, it's the worst month, with these sales, and Saturday is a bad night in general.

edited October 2012

JOdel said:
    What we need is a package of the Gen3 kids as well as K4. They were around long enough for there to be rather a lot of nice characters for them, as well as at least a few outfits which would be welcome. (There were a few good things for MilBaby 3 that I wouldn't mind using for the Genesis Baby, but haven't tried bringing it in yet.

I agree, I have a fair number of youth stuff for each generation. And if I could bring that stuff into Genesis, I'd be getting more.

Just realized I can find my Daz youth stuff with 3D Content Database.

edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    JOdel said:

So does the child shape's face work well for replicating the original face, with GenX conversions?

Is that RDNA freebie Clara? I have that one! (I need to finally install that, forgot about it. I was trying to figure out which K4 characters I have, and didn't even think of that).

I hope I can get started tonight, it's the worst month, with these sales, and Saturday is a bad night in general.

Yeah, it's Clara. Rather a nice little character. Tosca's collection of morphs for K4 (the K4 equivalent of Man in the Mirror and I Am) has some nice "character" faces. Nothing pretty-pretty but really useful. Emma is fairly subtle, but very nice. Basic Child really is *very* similar to stock K4. K4 came out in something like April 2010 and I think DS4.0 launched something like August 2011. I seriously doubt that they were putting much thought toward improving their basic kid figure in the interim. I seriously doubt that they weren't working on both of them concurrently at some point.

Here is Genesis basic child, K4 and Genesis Emma (k4 above which is fairly obvious) and Seamus OShaunessey, both head and body morph for a general look at what GenX can do with the K4 transfer clone.

GenX-K4.jpg
    800 x 546 - 43K
    edited October 2012

JOdel said:
    T Jaiman said:
    JOdel said:

Yeah, it's Clara. Rather a nice little character. Tosca's collection of morphs for K4 (the K4 equivalent of Man in the Mirror and I Am) has some nice "character" faces. Nothing pretty-pretty but really useful.

Virtual_World (took a little searching, I'm not up on a fraction of the content and artists). Rascals? I'm surprised I don't have that, I'd seen it before.
    Turns out I have The Man in the Mirror. Now that the latest PA sale is over, I'm finding all sorts of things I could've bought. Would help if this wishlist generated emails

Emma is fairly subtle, but very nice. Basic Child really is *very* similar to stock K4. K4 came out in something like April 2010 and I think DS4.0 launched something like August 2011. I seriously doubt that they were putting much thought toward improving their basic kid figure in the interim. I seriously doubt that they weren't working on both of them concurrently at some point.

Interesting insight. That wouldn't have occurred to me.

Here is Genesis basic child, K4 and Genesis Emma (k4 above which is fairly obvious) and Seamus OShaunessey, both head and body morph for a general look at what GenX can do with the K4 transfer clone.

Cool, K4 but with a better head - shape and proportions. I can't wait to try it myself. (Tho' at this point in the evening, it's clear I will wait). I'm glad you came in here. You've answered some puzzling things I've been wanting to know for a while, and brought good news.
    And thanks for the heads up on Virtual_World.
    edited December 1969

Virtual_World. That's it. She shows up as Tosca in the Runtime Pose list, and I was blanking on the vendor name.

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

Tosca's Emma is the one I am using although I always increase the eye size. Does anyone know how to unhide the K4 clone morph used by the auto-fit tool? I can't figure out how to do it. Fixmypcmike and DT both mentioned it.