3D Art Freebie Challenge ---June:Dawn of a New Day... ENTRIES Thread

2»

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    selias19 said:

Whoohoo! Third Place! I didn't expect to win anything this time because I myself didn't like my entries much. But I am not complaining, of course. smiley

Congratulations to deeleelaw57 and Dorseyland as well as jonttex82 and Lord Ganthor and thank you to the judges.

Don't worry, divamakeup. You will also win sometime. There were so many great entries that I am sure the judges had a hard time to choose the winners and HM's.

~ Sigrid

Thanks, Sigrid, that's sweet of you to say. :) Congratulations on your win! Let me know what you scored with your store credit! I'd love to see! :D

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689

DollyGirl, do me next!

And then see what you can find wrong with cheapskate's Dawn of the Dead, cause, you know ... (it should have been among the winnners).

Thank you Dorseyland (assuming of course you weren't just taking the piss!  ;o) LOL ).

Btw, I'm still at the "Maybe I'll start tomorrow" stage of my great, long-running Angkor Wat project. I'm thinking maybe it's not ambitious enough?

DollyGirl said:

So Dorsey, I have left a critique for you in the main thread. If cheapskate wishes one I will do one but only if he indicates so. Sometimes people just want to have fun and not have to think so hard about such things as composition and such. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/91016/3d-art-freebie-challenge-june-dawn-of-a-new-day-main-thread#latest

Congrats to all the winners.

I'd be delighted for you (and/or anybody else) to give any of my pictures an appraisal. Although I did these mainly for fun, without much (any?) thought about artistic merit, I still tried to make them 'good' pictures - so it would be nice to know what you think.  :)

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Congratulations everyone!   Great work by everyone!

I was hoping to participate a little more this past month but it looks like I may not even be around that much for July either.

Have a great summer everyone!  Hopefully I'll be back in rendering mode by Fall?

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646

DollyGirl, do me next!

And then see what you can find wrong with cheapskate's Dawn of the Dead, cause, you know ... (it should have been among the winnners).

Thank you Dorseyland (assuming of course you weren't just taking the piss!  ;o) LOL ).

Btw, I'm still at the "Maybe I'll start tomorrow" stage of my great, long-running Angkor Wat project. I'm thinking maybe it's not ambitious enough?

DollyGirl said:

So Dorsey, I have left a critique for you in the main thread. If cheapskate wishes one I will do one but only if he indicates so. Sometimes people just want to have fun and not have to think so hard about such things as composition and such. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/91016/3d-art-freebie-challenge-june-dawn-of-a-new-day-main-thread#latest

Congrats to all the winners.

I'd be delighted for you (and/or anybody else) to give any of my pictures an appraisal. Although I did these mainly for fun, without much (any?) thought about artistic merit, I still tried to make them 'good' pictures - so it would be nice to know what you think.  :)

Your wish is my command. You have a critique in the other thread. Fun doing this by the way I learned some new things.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/91016/3d-art-freebie-challenge-june-dawn-of-a-new-day-main-thread/p3

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited July 2016

Congratulations to the winners! :) 

I think you all did a great job! I AM a bit disappointed that I didn't even get a HM, but I guess since this is my first contest here I can't expect too much. lol I always get my hopes up too high when I know I shouldn't. haha The winners definitely deserved it though! yes Nicely done all!

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my image from the judges? I'd like to enter another contest but I'm not sure how you guys judge. I notice that none of the winners did any post work - I did quite a lot of post work on my image, does that hurt my changes of winning? Do you guys prefer images with no post work? I also noticed all the winners used 3Delight as apposed to Iray, do you guys prefer 3Delight images? I'm pretty new here and this is my first contest. I'm hoping to join in another contest but since I'm not familiar with the way it works, I would be happy to get some feedback if it's not against the rules. If you feel that feedback would give me an unfair advantage in the future or something, then I understand. :)

Again, congratulations to all the winners! Great work everyone! :)

I loved your picture, but I do like DollyGirl's idea of a tighter crop around the two figures. So I played a little (hope you don't mind!) and here's a thumbnail crop that works for me. Why does it work for me? I don't really know...

Edit: I think I've worked it out -  the large expanse of black in the foreground of your picture was a bit distracting, so removing it made sense. But that broke the vertical balance of the picture - cropping the top then seemed necessary to bring back the balance. And it's her pose that's the key - she's almost curled around the crystal, enclosing and framing it - and a tight crop emphasises that.

croppedReduced.jpg
    200 x 129 - 9K
    Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Congratulations to the winners! :) 

I think you all did a great job! I AM a bit disappointed that I didn't even get a HM, but I guess since this is my first contest here I can't expect too much. lol I always get my hopes up too high when I know I shouldn't. haha The winners definitely deserved it though! yes Nicely done all!

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my image from the judges? I'd like to enter another contest but I'm not sure how you guys judge. I notice that none of the winners did any post work - I did quite a lot of post work on my image, does that hurt my changes of winning? Do you guys prefer images with no post work? I also noticed all the winners used 3Delight as apposed to Iray, do you guys prefer 3Delight images? I'm pretty new here and this is my first contest. I'm hoping to join in another contest but since I'm not familiar with the way it works, I would be happy to get some feedback if it's not against the rules. If you feel that feedback would give me an unfair advantage in the future or something, then I understand. :)

Again, congratulations to all the winners! Great work everyone! :)

I loved your picture, but I do like DollyGirl's idea of a tighter crop around the two figures. So I played a little (hope you don't mind!) and here's a thumbnail crop that works for me. Why does it work for me? I don't really know...

Thank you! :D That's sweet of you to say. I'm glad you liked it. 

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724

Definitely not taking the piss, as DollyGirl's nice write-up confirms.

For folks not sure what Pete was also referring to, aeons ago I thanked him for his great Southeast Asian models and kiddlingly asked him to whip up a 3D version of the Angkor complex, which would of course have to be insanely complex. But Pete, if you're going to do it, now's the time, because they recently found an even bigger city UNDERNEATH Angkor, stretching all over the place!