Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I love that product.  Even with just a couple lights in the scene its crazy how much time it saves when working on something.

And I put my vote in for a 3Delight one as well.  Pretty sure I chimed in over there as well.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Yep, had ALL the spots checked. With the lumens 600,000 each or more, and they were very responsive individually, casting lights. When I get a chance, I'll retest it, but that part was extremely easy to figure out (and in the PDF.)  

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,134
    Novica said:

Yep, had ALL the spots checked. With the lumens 600,000 each or more, and they were very responsive individually, casting lights. When I get a chance, I'll retest it, but that part was extremely easy to figure out (and in the PDF.)  

Hmmm. Did you maybe have Dome Only selected for Environment Mode? That would make scene lights do nothing.

edited June 2016

Nope, Dome and Scene.

I think I figured out what went wrong. Just so everyone's clear, in the Collective Tab, there's Change Scene Only Lights Power, which has a slider. You select the lights (they will still be in that tab, in a section below) that you want to change, and with a slider, increase or decrease the intensity of the ones you check. 

The list of lights is NOT in the same order as they appear in the DS tab, and IMO they should be. I think the lights I had active didn't get checked because I turned on the first six in the DS Lights tab, and out of those, several wouldn't be in the first six in the Collective Tab (which does ordering like regular file systems like 1 then the teens 11, 12, 13 whereas my spotlight 2 got bumped down the list. SO WATCH FOR THAT! 

When I tested it again, doing the first six lights and in Collective Tab tracking them down and selecting those six, it worked fine. yes

And this is why we showcase/test things so others know these things. (Guinea pig here.) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,134
    Novica said:

Nope, Dome and Scene.

I think I figured out what went wrong. Just so everyone's clear, in the Collective Tab, there's Change Scene Only Lights Power, which has a slider. You select the lights (they will still be in that tab, in a section below) that you want to change, and with a slider, increase or decrease the intensity of the ones you check. 

The list of lights is NOT in the same order as they appear in the DS tab, and IMO they should be. I think the lights I had active didn't get checked because I turned on the first six in the DS Lights tab, and out of those, several wouldn't be in the first six in the Collective Tab (which does ordering like regular file systems like 1 then the teens 11, 12, 13 whereas my spotlight 2 got bumped down the list. SO WATCH FOR THAT! 

When I tested it again, doing the first six lights and in Collective Tab tracking them down and selecting those six, it worked fine. yes

And this is why we showcase/test things so others know these things. (Guinea pig here.) 

Good that you got it figured out. You might want to mention that over in the commercial thread, to see if V3Digitimes thinks it is a bug, or has an explanation for why it is the way it is.
    edited June 2016

Been awhile since anyone did dragons. Here's Daz Dragon 3 again with some morph changes, too many to mention.  Using one of Ron's Backgrounds.

dragonSig.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 703K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Friendly-looking dragon! Goes well with that background

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited June 2016

Picked up Jack Tomalin's new Balnaea set.

Below are out of the box renders (minus the fact I swapped out the water texture for MEC4D's volumetric water because, well, Cath's shaders simply rock.).

Day

Night

Balneae Day.jpg
    800 x 800 - 496K
    Balneae Night.jpg
    800 x 800 - 427K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on

I like that night scene

RGcincy said:

Friendly-looking dragon! Goes well with that background

Thanks, that's the intention smiley on both counts. So many of the dragons have long spikey horns coming out of their face, that it distracts if you're going for friendly. We have a lot of neat dragons in the store, that's for sure!

Tabasco Jack- beautifully lit! And I do love the water!

edited June 2016

RGcincy said:

I like that night scene

The promo shots of the night scene is what clinched the purchase for me.  I really like how the lights are done.

Short but good animation: A Tale of Momentum & Inertia

I probably have most of the Dragon stuff out there.  I should really do something more with it.  I did one with a mama dragon and some babies that I was pretty happy with.

Tabasco Jack you sold me on it with your night scene as well, into the cart it went.  I also picked up the Russian faces for Rune.  Some truly lovely eastern european faces.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited June 2016

I did these dragon images in Bryce a while ago.

Click on image for full size.

Click on image for full size

This one in Daz Studio Iray

Click on image for full size.

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited June 2016

Oh well - Dragon3 render in Poser with DSON:

Fairytale hour

Credits:
    V4WMAS - Aeon Soul
    KynleeFae V4 -  The Laughing Lion Studios
    Elfin (Jewelry) - Mada, Sarsa, Thorne
    Florabelle - Mada
    Anemone Hair - 3Dream, Mairy

Daz Dragon 3, Morphs and Textures - Daz
    Mythic Beasts - Sickleyield, Fuseling
    Dragon Trainers Toolbox - Design Anvil

Flinks Summer Ground - Flink
    Pine Forest - vikike176
    DRTreeSet201203 - Dinoraul
    Wildflower Mega-Pack - Judith, Chrisjol
    Modualz Old Wood Pines - Mega Pack - Traveler, Judith
    Ground Covers Vol1 - Traveler
    Mushroom Singles Vol. 1 - Traveler
    Songbird Remix, European Edition 1, European Edition 2, Woodland Jewels - Ken Gilliland

FairytaleHourX.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 553K
    Post edited by Kerya on
    edited June 2016

Fishtales- Bryce looks really good! I have it but never used it because it took me so long to play with even a quarter of the things that Daz Studio does (well, maybe more like 1/16th...)  Does Bryce have Iray lighting/rendering? I've seen gorgeous things with Bryce. 

Kerya- Love seeing all those products that you used- I have some of Flinks but haven't tried them yet. I think I have the grass and meadow flower stuff.  I like your variety of trees, and of course her pose and the dragon's expression. One thing I wish on the dragon was the ability to take off the two little horns in the middle of the muzzle without having holes left. I twiddled with that for twenty minutes and no matter what morph, the skin was either pulled or there was a noticeable hole if you shot from any angle other than from below the muzzle or straight on from the side. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Novica

Bryce has its own render engine I believe. In some ways it is better than Iray as it too uses HDRI, sun and lights, but all of which you have complete control over as to intensity, fall off and shadow.

This one uses the Milky Way HDRI as a backdrop and ambient light with lights for the headlights and exhaust from the vehicle.

Click on image for full size

There are more in my gallery, link in signature.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited June 2016
    Post edited by Kerya on
    edited June 2016
    Kerya said:

Yep, and color them in. I thought about it.  smiley I wonder if we could do a primitive, fit them into the spaces, and then use a shader. 

Thanks Fishtales- I was curious. That's a nice render with that background. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

That's what geografting is for..  UV mapping it to somehow integrate seamlessly would be a trick though..

edited June 2016

An oldie that was in FastGrab (most likely due to the release of Balnaea that I referenced above).

Jack Tomalin's Platea, to which I applied Iray Uber surfaces, MEC4D's volumetric water and PBS shaders on the plants and metal surfaces.

Platea

I think I may try taking some of floating torches that were in the Balnaea release and drop them in here to get a nighttime scene.

Platea.jpg
    800 x 800 - 515K
    edited June 2016

Ooooh, would love to see that!

Okay, there was a thread in the Platinum Club section about the rendering time of Winterblack Halls. I am going to post this here so everyone can see my test on my computer.  I'm not rendering it out (don't want to tie up my computer for something I'm not going to use anytime soon.)  But let's get a feel for it.

I have an Alienware 51 desktop. NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970 graphics card.

Doing it Iray because I don't do 3dL anymore (which is what that person did.) Just curious as to the time, when using the day preset and not taking anything out. Render size: 1560 x 1500

32 iterations at 2 minutes 15 seconds  no canvas written

63 iterations at 3 minutes   no canvas written

104 iterations at 4 minutes, 1%

234 at 6 and 1/2 minutes, still at 1%

2% at 7 minutes exactly.   3% at 9:15    4% at 10:12   5% at 12:15     6%  at 13:45     7% at 16:15   9% at 30 minutes. 11% at 37 minutes. 12% at 40 minutes. So it seems to take 3 minutes for each percent increase.

I'll be honest though, if you are using this as a background and depth of field. you could stop the render and use it at 9%. 

Click to enlarge, large render. No postwork. This is the preset lighting from the product. Again, no parts of the set removed, your time will vary when you take things out.

winterblackHall12% 40min.jpg
    1560 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

Well, I thought I had used my PC coupon code for June, and I hadn't, so thought I'd post a reminder to you other folks too. Tomorrow is July 1st so if you haven't used both of your coupon codes, hop to it!

Sadly, if my coupons last a week I consider it good lol. I did pick up the bokeh and lens flair new item today https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_32917. ; Hoping to test it tomorrow as I have a render going right now.  Did anyone else pick this up?

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I've been thinking about getting the bokeh and lens flair thing, but I've been waiting to see some actual renders by users.  I haven't seen anything yet.  It does look interesting.  I was kind of hoping to see someone on here give it a go round.

I didn't get it because I have ALL of Ron's brushes and there's so many things I could use which are similar (I think.) 

BTW, I had a thought. If you need a school the Police Station could be used.  I didn't like the other school in the store because it looked really old to me. The Police Station looks modern and you could put the school sign in the police station sign- and have the Police Station interior to use for other police scenes (and convert to other things as needed, like the school admin desk as long as you don't show the front door.)  

I am getting the Ivan HD and the character today, so got Eva for $4. I knew if I waited long enough there'd be a good deal. I don't need another gal but at that price, yeah. While I love the hospital, I need a school so getting the Police Station for now. Great job FirstBastion on both! 

edited July 2016

A shout out to Dimension Theory's iRadiance Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray.  The below scene was rendered solely with one their HDRIs.  No other lighting at all and no postwork.

The range of different HRDIs in the set is fantastic, and can result in some very different and intriguing results.

KB.jpg
    800 x 600 - 336K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

A shout out to Dimension Theory's iRadiance Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray.  The below scene was rendered solely with one their HDRIs.  No other lighting at all and no postwork.

The range of different HRDIs in the set is fantastic, and can result in some very different and intriguing results.

Beautiful image and I love those HDRIs.  I just picked up the two expansions recently, too, for even more lighting options.  I love using these lights.

Gorgeous! Just the right amount of light to set the mood (and perfect DOF)

Beautiful image and I love those HDRIs.  I just picked up the two expansions recently, too, for even more lighting options.  I love using these lights.

Thanks!   The larger, postworked version is over on DA, as it's not Daz ToS compatible.....blush

This discussion has been closed.