Utility to repair damaged Installers Available

Comments

• ambrown_7b4d9ebafcambrown_7b4d9ebafc Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Okay , so I have a zip file (mac) that I downloaded from Daz that my usual archive programs can't open. Is this utility for that problem? Or should I post a support ticket?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick - I've been one of the lucky ones so far, the "great change" hasn't effected me at all up until this point!

Kaitan

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Tylerguy said:
    Okay , so I have a zip file (mac) that I downloaded from Daz that my usual archive programs can't open. Is this utility for that problem? Or should I post a support ticket?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick - I've been one of the lucky ones so far, the "great change" hasn't effected me at all up until this point!

Kaitan

Yes. This is exactly what the utility is for.

Kendall

• Alethas FantasyAlethas Fantasy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OMG You are a Angel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so Excited after over 2 weeks, I got what I paid for, You are Awesome!
    Know Daz should be so thankful to you for this big help for there members, it takes a big load of them.

Thank you so so much big hugz 2 U. :)

Aletha

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

I have written a small utility that will repair the files downloaded from the DAZ site. It is available for Windows here:

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/utilities/

There is a zip file with both 32 and 64 bit exe’s in there. This is on a low bandwidth server, but is only a tad over 1M in size, so be patient. If the load becomes too high I will transfer it to my high-bandwidth servers.

I have also written a version for Mac. If you are a Mac user and need it please PM me and I'll make it available.

The Download for the 4.5 Release Candidate is also affected. This utility will repair that as well.

Kendall

I have the download. Now I need to know which is my input file and which is my output file. I don't want to mess things up by entering the wrong files into the wrong text box. Is the DAZ Studio software the Input or output file? Whichever it is, then the product file must be the other one. Please let me know ASAP.
    Thanks.
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

Input file: the damaged installer file.
    Output file: how you want to name the copy of your fixed installer file.

For example, I had ps_an117_3DDonkey.exe which needed fixing. This was the input file. I outputted it to ps_an117_3DDonkey-fixed.exe

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The file you downloaded that isn't working is the input file. The output file is whatever you want to call the fixed version.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Input file: the damaged installer file.
    Output file: how you want to name the copy of your fixed installer file.

For example, I had ps_an117_3DDonkey.exe which needed fixing. This was the input file. I outputted it to ps_an117_3DDonkey-fixed.exe

Thanks for the information. I now know what to do. The example was the clue that got me over the hump. Oh yeah, I forgot, Donkeys don't have humps. Ha.;-)
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the information. I now know what to do. The example was the clue that got me over the hump. Oh yeah, I forgot, Donkeys don't have humps. Ha.;-)

:lol: Well the bison I fixed kind of does! :lol:

edited December 1969

I'm afraid the mac version doesn't seem to be working for me. The file I'm having trouble with is 14063_SupersuitBootsBelt_v1-1.0_trx.zip.
    When I try to open it I get "Unable to expand 14063_SupersuitBootsBelt_v1-1.0_trx.zip into 'documents' ". I ran it through the FixDaz utility and named the file super.zip, but I get the same message when I try to open the new file.

Not really sure what I'm doing wrong :(

Kaitan

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

:lol: Well the bison I fixed kind of does! :lol:
    Yeah, You're right about that.
    On the subject: I tried the fix and got the no problem found message, but the file is still not installing. It's the recently offered free product 13601_SweetDreams. I'm now at a loss for what to do.

edited December 1969

On the subject: I tried the fix and got the no problem found message, but the file is still not installing. It's the recently offered free product 13601_SweetDreams. I'm now at a loss for what to do.

Odd, the file did not have a problem when I downloaded it. Have you tried to re-download it?

edited December 1969

Tylerguy said:
    I'm afraid the mac version doesn't seem to be working for me. The file I'm having trouble with is 14063_SupersuitBootsBelt_v1-1.0_trx.zip.
    When I try to open it I get "Unable to expand 14063_SupersuitBootsBelt_v1-1.0_trx.zip into 'documents' ". I ran it through the FixDaz utility and named the file super.zip, but I get the same message when I try to open the new file.

Kaitan

Did the utility give you a message of "Done." or something else when you ran it against the installer?

Kendall

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

Odd, the file did not have a problem when I downloaded it. Have you tried to re-download it?
    Yes. I deleted the original download and downloaded it again because at first I thought the problem was due to the file being corrupted by internet service interruptions.

edited December 1969

Tylerguy said:

Kaitan

Did the utility give you a message of "Done." or something else when you ran it against the installer?

Kendall

Yes, I get the "Done" message.

Kaitan

edited December 1969

Yes. I deleted the original download and downloaded it again because at first I thought the problem was due to the file being corrupted by internet service interruptions.

It is possible that the daft computer decided to dig the version out of cache when you downloaded it second time. "Oh hey same filename, I'll save time and just mooch it from the cache, what would these users do without me, I'm a potato."

Empty your browser cache and try a new download, saving to a different location? That file shouldn't be corrupted.

edited June 2012

Tylerguy said:
    Tylerguy said:

Kaitan

Kendall

Kaitan

Hmmm. That's curious. If you get the "Done." message, that means it found the bad stuff it was looking for and removed it.

Can you pop up a command line and run a "ls -l" against the two files and PM me the results? I may be able to determine the problem from the differences in the file sizes.

EDIT: I'm redownloading the sweet-dreams for the Mac (I usually install the PC version to my shared CMS) I'll look into it.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

Now that DAZ have started replacing product installers with ZIPs I thought maybe, just maybe, somebody would have fixed the obvious bug in file delivery that appends a Magento error report to the end of the file.

Here is what I found at the end of the "new" product file for Sapphire Fox Hair (3434.zip):

Fatal error: Call to undefined method Pisc_Downloadplus_DownloadController::clearConncurrentDownload() in /var/www/html/magento.daz3d.com/app/code/local/Pisc/Downloadplus/controllers/DownloadController.php on line 106

Fatal error: Class 'Mage' not found in /var/www/html/magento.daz3d.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/functions.php on line 244

OK, this is ignored by most unzipping utilities but ... for heaven's sake,DAZ ... this is actually a serious bug. This is telling you that your file delivery code is not working properly and, even though they work, you are actually delivering corrupt product files.

You really need to get a grip on this.

• VitachickVitachick Posts: 135
    edited December 1969

Won't open for me....Nothing happens....:)

On my winxp 32 comp..

I have tried to reset a few past purchases and get invalid zip file when I try to install

• Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your utility is extremely handy as opposed to doing the same with a hex editor.
    A couple of things I can think of though that would make it even better:
    One would be the ability to do multiple files at the same time. Or if that is too much extra programming, then at least keep the program loaded and the main window open afer each file finishes so it doesn't have to be restarted each time.
    Second would be setting a default output filename based on the original filename with something like "-fixed" appended to it.

edited December 1969

One would be the ability to do multiple files at the same time. Or if that is too much extra programming, then at least keep the program loaded and the main window open afer each file finishes so it doesn't have to be restarted each time.
    Second would be setting a default output filename based on the original filename with something like "-fixed" appended to it.

I thought about the multiple file thing, but I'm hoping that DAZ will resolve the problem before too much longer and then this utility will be no longer necessary. Actually, I'm surprised that it's gone this long.

Kendall

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

I thought about the multiple file thing, but I'm hoping that DAZ will resolve the problem before too much longer and then this utility will be no longer necessary. Actually, I'm surprised that it's gone this long.

Kendall

I'm surprised it's gone this long too. FWIW, I wrote a utility that does the same thing, but in the Tcl scripting language. This requires that you have Tcl installed (it's free). Mine has no gui, but it does fix multiple files. You put all the damaged files in one folder, with nothing else but the program, then double click on the program. All the fixed files are named "FIXED..." and the originals are untouched. If a file did not get a "FIXED" replacement, that means the error message was not found in the original file. If somebody really wants this to batch process multiple files, I can post it on ShareCG. Kendall's is more user-friendly, tho and doesn't require the additional download. :coolsmile:

• alexandre01alexandre01 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Is it possible for DAZ to add in the available download of the custumers who can't resolve the problem with the fix program a zip file with the runtime ready ? It will be helpful for us, no ?

• edited December 1969

Norton 360 on my win 7 32-bit system does not like the 32-bit installer fixer.

dazinstallerfixernogo.jpg
    740 x 536 - 105K
    edited December 1969

False positive. It does not like the fact that there is a file which tries to modify an .exe file. Viruses often do that, except this time it is what you want it to do.

edited December 1969

Is it possible for DAZ to add in the available download of the custumers who can't resolve the problem with the fix program a zip file with the runtime ready ? It will be helpful for us, no ?

If you can give me more information of what is happening, or is not happening, in your environment, I may be able to help. What steps exactly are you taking, and what messages (if any) exactly are you getting?

Kendall

edited December 1969

I'm quoting myself here in case Tylerguy isn't monitoring the "Superbelt. Deforming errors" thread. The 14063_SupersuitBootsBelt_v1-1.0_trx.zip file is corrupted beyond repair. The last 2 Megs of the file are NULLs. It does contain the errors that all DAZ downloads contain at the moment that my utility fixes, which it does fix for you. However, even after the errors are fixed, the zip file is trashed.

Kendall

Tylerguy said:
    Tylerguy said:

Kaitan

Kendall

Kaitan

Hmmm. That's curious. If you get the "Done." message, that means it found the bad stuff it was looking for and removed it.

Can you pop up a command line and run a "ls -l" against the two files and PM me the results? I may be able to determine the problem from the differences in the file sizes.

EDIT: I'm redownloading the sweet-dreams for the Mac (I usually install the PC version to my shared CMS) I'll look into it.

Kendall

edited June 2012

Norton 360 on my win 7 32-bit system does not like the 32-bit installer fixer.

Norton does not like programs that modify .exe files. Name the "fixed" installer so that it does not end in .exe or disable your Norton for the time that you're "fixing" the installer.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • Dr_FrankenshroomDr_Frankenshroom Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can't download fixdaz

edited December 1969

I can't download fixdaz

click on the link below:

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/utilities/

click on the text “no thumbnail” above the bold FixDaz

click on “Download archive”

save the archive to your local drive. Unzip the version you need and run it.

Kendall

• edited December 1969

It won't work. It keeps failing. I give up, I'm through with DAZ