Need to work with old files

HeraHera Posts: 1,952

Hi!

I'm in need to work with some older files, creations I originally made years back on an earlier computer. My problem is I cannot open them anymore, I'm stuck with these errors for all the content, save for V4:

Unable to find file for storable: data/blMilMan_m4b_68498/hip/blMilMan_m4b_68498_hip/geometry.dso

Now is there any way around that, like foremost trying to understand where that 'data' is searched for

I know this has been discussed earlier in the forum, my main problem is that on my earlier computer, everything was loaded beneath c:\program files\DAZ\data

And now I don't have anything DAZ on C anymore, simply because there are not room enough. All my DAZ is today located at a separate drive: F: and data is mainly on F:\LINDA\DAZ other\studio\My Library\data
and F:\LINDA\DAZ other\data

Is there any way to re-point the information to my 'new' data directories so I can open my old work? That would save me hours of work, instead of having to re-do everything again, using a finished Jpeg as template.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You do not need to rebuild the scene, DAZ builds Data Files that go in the First listed Content folder at load time. All you should need to do is Load each item for the scene once (each item used, they can stack on each other it should not matter). You should be able to then just close that and open the old scene. I do not know of anyway to Edit a scene file.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure I follow? Isn't that the same as doing it all over agian? And then what do I win? I was hoping for a way to be able to use my old file.

edited October 2012

I was just repeating what I was told, but no this way you just load the items, you do not need to pose, set it up as a scene, match the textures or do lighting, just load the items. Once done the Data files exist again and the old Scene should load just as you had it set up. They can all just set at the zero load position when you load them. You then save that Mess as a scene file. After that your old scene should load again.

Then you can delete the Dummy file. I asked Adam one of the Gurus.

I've never done this but I have read this many times in the forums.

EDIT: I edited this for corrections.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

DS doesn't use Poser formats, it imports them, which means it has to convert them into something it can use, so when you save a scene quite a bit of data is stored in the .DAZ scene file, but far more is written into the data folder in the first listed DS native directory, it's these files DS can't find. On top of that your scene was saved in either DS1 or DS2, so the files got saved in the "data/meshname_verticecount" folder, with DS3 it was the "data/3_0/meshname_verticecount" folder, DS4.0 is different again and 4.5 doesn't save that format anymore.

To get your scene to stop coughing up the missing storables error you need load M4's Poser CR2 into an empty scene in either DS2, DS3 or DS4.0, inject every DAZ morph you own into him and then save the scene, this will create a pile of DSO (mesh), DSD (morph) & DSV (UV data) files, if you did this in DS2 then those files will be in the right place, but with DS3 and DS4 they wont be, so you need to head into the data folder and find in M4's case the "blMilMan_m4b_68498" folder, copy it and paste it in the data folder rather than into one of it's many sub folders.

You now have to do that for everything else you had in that scene, figures, hair, clothing, and scenery, use the log file to get an idea of what items you need to look for.

edited December 1969

Where were you hiding like two hours ago? Thanks for that.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Where were you hiding like two hours ago?

Drowning in DUF & DSF files, been working on my TriAx Aiko3 again :lol:
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Jaderail said:
    Where were you hiding like two hours ago?

Drowning in DUF & DSF files, been working on my TriAx Aiko3 again :lol:

You are either very brave or very insane...

To Herakleia...

If you have access to where the old scene was saved, you could skip all the reloading and find the appropriate files there and cut and paste those. But if not, then Bejaymac's way, long and tedious as it is, is going to be the easiest way to salvage the scene.

edited December 1969

If you still have access to the old computer and the data folder is still intact, then you can transfer that to your new computer and save yourself a lot of work. Failing that have you used any of the items in a scene on the new computer, if you have then you can skip some of the repopulating as you have the files already, you just need to move a copy to where your scene file can find them.

mjc1016 said:

You are either very brave or very insane...

Insane Masochist ;-P

I'm a tinkerer by nature and I learn by doing, but as Genesis is already rigged I can't learn from it, so I grabbed my goto girl (Aiko3) and started learning with her.

edited October 2012

Bejaymac said:
    DS doesn't use Poser formats, it imports them, which means it has to convert them into something it can use, so when you save a scene quite a bit of data is stored in the .DAZ scene file, but far more is written into the data folder in the first listed DS native directory, it's these files DS can't find. On top of that your scene was saved in either DS1 or DS2, so the files got saved in the "data/meshname_verticecount" folder, with DS3 it was the "data/3_0/meshname_verticecount" folder, DS4.0 is different again and 4.5 doesn't save that format anymore.

I'm sorry I think I'm language challenged here (I'm from Sweden) but I don't understand a thing. You mean I have to find a DS2 again (this scene was created in DS2) and try to opening it using DS2? And then what?

Bejaymac said:

To get your scene to stop coughing up the missing storables error you need load M4's Poser CR2 into an empty scene in either DS2, DS3 or DS4.0, inject every DAZ morph you own into him and then save the scene, this will create a pile of DSO (mesh), DSD (morph) & DSV (UV data) files, if you did this in DS2 then those files will be in the right place, but with DS3 and DS4 they wont be, so you need to head into the data folder and find in M4's case the "blMilMan_m4b_68498" folder, copy it and paste it in the data folder rather than into one of it's many sub folders.

I'm not sure how that would possibly make my old files with M4 in load. How come V4 load and not M4, that's so totally weird

mjc1016 said:
    Bejaymac said:
    Jaderail said:

To Herakleia...

If you have access to where the old scene was saved, you could skip all the reloading and find the appropriate files there and cut and paste those. But if not, then Bejaymac's way, long and tedious as it is, is going to be the easiest way to salvage the scene.

Problem was that these was on an old computer I do not have anymore. I just transferred the *.daz files over to the new computer and assumed it would be no problem to open it since I still had the obj files stored in the same place as on the old computer.

Only difference is there I used c:\program files\daz\runtime...

Now I use a secondary drive f:\linda\daz other\runtine...

The data files were all also transferred

you just load the items, you do not need to pose, set it up as a scene, match the textures or do lighting, just load the items. Once done the Data files exist again and the old Scene should load just as you had it set up. They can all just set at the zero load position when you load them. You then save that Mess as a scene file. After that your old scene should load again.

Sorry. Doesn't work at all!

You now have to do that for everything else you had in that scene, figures, hair, clothing, and scenery, use the log file to get an idea of what items you need to look for.

I don't even remember all the hairs and guns and stuff I used for this scene! And the log file is a bundle of nonsense to me.

I guess it's a hopeless case... I might as well trash all my old files. Sad! Why has DAZ created a solution which leave you high and dry if you switches computer? Or want to re-open old projects created in earlier DAZ versions? It's really awkward. All other applications I'm working with (MS office, Photoshop, Audacity, Layoutor) let you open old saved files without complaining too much.

Post edited by Hera on
    edited October 2012

DELETED

Post edited by Hera on
    edited October 2012

EDIT - I've tried to reload all the items I can identify and cut and past the poses upon them again - is that what you guys mean, because I cannot think of another reasonable way to recycle my scene.

PS. How do I remove posts which are posted by misstake?

Post edited by Hera on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Well a mod could move it out of sight for you, or you could add a cute kitty picture and pretend it was deliberate. :coolsmirk:

Sorry, I am in a Friday evening sort of mood. :roll:

edited October 2012

I like the idea with the kitten :)

Post edited by Hera on