What a difference a day makes ...

SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Not sure if it has been mentioned anywhere, but the 'render in progress' dialog box now continues counting time beyond 23h 59m 59s ... as my current render happily proves (I think I was a bit OTT with stuff with transmaps, ray-traced and UberArea lighting as well as UberEnv2)! Thank you, coders! :)

Comments

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

LOL, finally!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

You'll also be pleased to know, doubtless, the hours field will happily go into 3 figures *glares at current render ...* ;)

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    edited December 1969

And I thought it was only Reality that renders longer than 23h 59m 59s LOL

edited December 1969

Note to self ... don't combine Gemoetry shells on Genesis, Hair and convert them to UberArea lights whilst using pwGhost on underlying figures, combined with UberEnv along with 4 point lights and a distant light using ray-traced shadows with props with a lot of transmaps ...!!!
    I am now determined to see the damned thing finished, regardless of how rubbish it ends up being! :)
    edited December 1969

We want to see the finished render ;-)

edited December 1969

Don't hold your breath - I was hoping it would be done by about now, but it's just at 71% ;)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2012

SimonJM said:

Note to self ... don't combine Gemoetry shells on Genesis, Hair and convert them to UberArea lights whilst using pwGhost on underlying figures, combined with UberEnv along with 4 point lights and a distant light using ray-traced shadows with props with a lot of transmaps ...!!!

Ummm....well...about the only thing you don't have listed are environmental reflections. I bet if you go back and add them you can get it up to four or five days...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

Up to??? It's past that mark already. The final quater galloped past so it took a 'mere' 150-160 hours (so pretty much a whole week).

Haunting.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 604K
    edited December 1969

It looks good! Now add a few stars and restart the render %-P

edited December 1969

LOL. Stars, I'll give you stars ...! :)

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited October 2012

SimonJM said:
    Up to??? It's past that mark already. The final quater galloped past so it took a 'mere' 150-160 hours (so pretty much a whole week).

But I think it looks awfully good!
    Thanks for posting and I'll give you at least 10 stars for it (not that I think it matters a lot.... :)

Love, Jeanne
    Post edited by Jeanne M on
    edited December 1969

JeanneM said:
    SimonJM said:

But I think it looks awfully good!
    Thanks for posting and I'll give you at least 10 stars for it (not that I think it matters a lot.... :)

Love, Jeanne

Thanks! :)

edited December 1969

Great render...

Now grab the stand alone 3Delight and try it again...

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Wow, you have a LOT of patience. No way would I wait for 23 hrs just for a render to finish. I can just barely wait an hour and rarely at that.

Great looking render, by the way. :)

• RedHeadLilithRedHeadLilith Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

mjc1016 said:
    Great render...

may I ask what is this stand alone you talk about?

BTW very amazing render and also my patient is very low !

Post edited by RedHeadLilith on
    edited December 1969

The stand alone 3Delight is the version of the renderer that isn't connected with Studio. The version of 3Delight included in DS4.5 is 'unlocked', meaning it can use as many cores as your computer has (in your case that would be 4...well, 8, because your i7 has 4 physical cores and 4 'virtual' cores). So, it would seem like it would be a lot slower to use, but because it is running without the overhead of DS 4.5 it can do the same job more efficiently...and nearly or in some cases, faster.

It also allows you to 'free up' DS4.5 for other things while rendering.

Using it, though, is considered an 'advanced technique'.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Great render...

may I ask what is this stand alone you talk about?

BTW very amazing render and also my patient is very low !

Stand alone 3Delight can be downloaded from here - http://www.3delight.com/en/index.php

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Nice Rencer Simon and nice patience too. I never go above one hour unless I know it's necessary. I always think there's a way to build the scene so that it renders efficiently.

mjc1016 said:
    The stand alone 3Delight is the version of the renderer that isn't connected with Studio. The version of 3Delight included in DS4.5 is 'unlocked', meaning it can use as many cores as your computer has (in your case that would be 4...well, 8, because your i7 has 4 physical cores and 4 'virtual' cores). So, it would seem like it would be a lot slower to use, but because it is running without the overhead of DS 4.5 it can do the same job more efficiently...and nearly or in some cases, faster.

It also allows you to 'free up' DS4.5 for other things while rendering.

Using it, though, is considered an 'advanced technique'.

There may be a problem with the actual available 3delight build as it's the one that caused problems with area light and not the one we actually have in DS. I also didn't get speed increase in rendertimes but that may be because I'm on Windows. I've seen computations test where Linux is clearly better at computation tasks which may explain that

edited October 2012

Thanks, glad you all like it.

The standalone mentioned is the 3Delight render engine that DAZ uses. It comes in various forms - for PC, MAC and *nix. By telling DAZ to output to RIB (an option of the Advanced section of Render options) you can get DAZ to output a file that can be read by this stanadlone version of 3Delight.

Advantages are that doing so is very quick - creating the RIB for the above scene took less than a minute. Once done you can continue doing other things in DAZ Studio (even when the standalone render is running - but see later!)

Disadvantages are that the basic, free version fo the standalone program is limited to using just 2 cores of your computer so will not be using the same amount of work to the process.

The *nix version purportedly 'flies through' the render process. I am guessing the other versions are also more efficient, but I do not know how. The disadvantage of only using 2 of the cores is balanced by the efficiency of runnng by itself, not under the control of an other program (such as DAZ Studio). How that balance works in practice may well depend upon, to a degree, the make-up of the scene in question.

Post edited by SimonJM on
  • RedHeadLilithRedHeadLilith Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thank you for the answer . :) sound a little bit complex to my so far understanding about Daz . but was curious to know what it is .