GenX2...tearing my hair out

epicanthicsepicanthics Posts: 4

So I'm running 4.9 64-bit, with GenX2 64-bit and G2 addon installed plus the gen4 legacy shapes for G2.  I'm trying to transfer a custom character that includes some custom character dials from V4 to G2F.

Thing is, nothing seems to transfer, at all.  All that gets generated in G2's shaping tab is the base shape morph under *** People ***, named based on whatever shaping I chose (clone, legacy, etc), with nothing else.  No errors when targetting to transfer to a single morph or transferring to individual morphs.  Edit: When the transfer settings involve a controller or preset, I'm getting warnings about missing DSFs on the morphs I've selected.  I initially thought this was limited to certain morphs but it is happening with all of them.  Again, though, this is only happening with certain settings whereas transfer fail is happening on everything.  Could it be it's also happening for single morph transfer but just isn't being logged?

I've sourced V4 from both dragging individual morphs into the library and also loading a cr2.  I have tried with Genesis 1.  I've tried reinstalling GenX and Genesis, consolidating my content folders, and every setting combination to perform the transfer.  Can't get a single morph transferred.  Basically, GenX2 is bricked for me.  I had to go on Youtube to even find out what's supposed to happen if it works.  All the threads on issues with this plugin I've found at least have some errors popping up for people to trace, but here...I have no clue where to even begin diagnosing this.

Whimper.

Post edited by epicanthics on

Comments

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited May 2016

This is how I would transfer a V4 Character to Genesis2 Female. Load V4 into your scene, apply the character you would like to transfer. V4 characters usually come with a Body-INJ and a Head-INJ, eventually additional morph packages (Morphs++, Creature Creator etc.) need to be loaded before. Then go to the GenX-Tab and follow these steps:

1. Select V4 via the Source Button
    2. Drag and Drop necessary Morph Packages (Morphs++, Creature Creator etc.) from the Content Folder to the GenX-Tab, so it gets loaded into GenX too.
    3. Mode needs to be Create Single Morph
    4. Target needs to be Genesis2 Female
    5. Make sure the option Transfer Conditional Morphs at the bottom of the GenX-Tab is selected
    6. Go to the Select Button and choose the Option Get Values from Figure in Scene
    7. Again via the Select Button choose Transfer: On For All Non Zero Values
    8. Click on the Transfer Button
    9. There should be a dialogue poping up, type in the name of the character
    10. Click on Accept

When the transfer is done, load the Genesis2 Female Figure into your scene. The new character should be in the shaping tab in Genesis2 Female -> Actor -> Generation X -> Victoria4.

When working with GenX it is not recomended to split up your Runtime. That means your Genesis2 Female and the V4 morphs should be in the same Library/Runtime.

There is the official documentation by Dimension3D: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/18321/genx2.pdf

For more detailed tutorials check out my post over there and the following by Kerya: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1069966/#Comment_1069966

If you need more help, maybe you would like to post your issue in the official GenX2 discussion: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24079/genx2-and-genesis-2-addon-released-upgrade-ends-soon-commercial/p1

Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • MN-150374 said:
    1. Select V4 via the Source Button
    2. Drag and Drop necessary Morph Packages (Morphs++, Creature Creator etc.) from the Content Folder to the GenX-Tab, so it gets loaded into GenX too.

Check.  I've also tried the approach wherein a cr2 of the customized V4 with the necessary injections and presets are loaded.  For testing sake I have further attempted to transfer single morphs that come with the base figure, and also tried transferring single morphs from Genesis to G2.

MN-150374 said:
    3. Mode needs to be Create Single Morph

Tested using all the settings.  Again, no transfers, however, where mode involves  a preset or controller, it gives warnings for missing DSF files for the selected morphs.  I've looked into this a bit more and it does seem a bit odd, as it complains about every single morph, even ones where I wouldn't expect there to be DSF files at all, i.e., older morph injections created for poser.

MN-150374 said:

4. Target needs to be Genesis2 Female

Tested with G2F as target.  Also tested with Genesis as target, and tested transferring some basic morphs from Genesis to G2.  Nada.

MN-150374 said:

5. Make sure the option Transfer Conditional Morphs at the bottom of the GenX-Tab is selected

Tested with this and every other setting.  Also tested using single morphs where this setting would not be relevant.  Nothing.

MN-150374 said:

6. Go to the Select Button and choose the Option Get Values from Figure in Scene

7. Again via the Select Button choose Transfer: On For All Non Zero Values

Used this, also tried unhiding all morphs and transferring all, also, again, tried with just a single morph manually dialed and selected.  Also, again I've tried with getting morph values from a scene-loaded figure, using a cr2, and also manually entering values I wanted for individual morphs.

MN-150374 said:
    1. Click on the Transfer Button
    2. There should be a dialogue poping up, type in the name of the character
    3. Click on Accept

Yep, this happens.  I leave the identifier field blank as recommended in the documentation.  Have tested with the other settings as well.  One thing that's missing here would be the shape selection.  For V4->G2F I have 4 options: Victoria 4, Victoria 4 (Clone), Victoria 4 (Legacy), and Victoria 4 (Shape).  I have tried all options and they produce the same results, with the notable but expected exception where the Legacy option fails with an error message when targetting Genesis since those morphs are G2 only.

MN-150374 said:

When the transfer is done, load the Genesis2 Female Figure into your scene. The new character should be in the shaping tab in Genesis2 Female -> Actor -> Generation X -> Victoria4.

And this is where, no matter what settings and how I've tested it, things fail.  The only morph I get is the base shape morph that is either generated from the clone or legacy morph already present in G2F/Genesis.  I've also tried targetting the transfer of morphs to different groups and the result is always the same. 

MN-150374 said:
    When working with GenX it is not recomended to split up your Runtime. That means your Genesis2 Female and the V4 morphs should be in the same Library/Runtime.

As of writing this, I've tested using a single combined content directory.  I have a single location set as both primary Daz and Poser content directory, in addition to two other locations I've set that's just for my saved scenes and other custom stuff.  Right now everything GenX pulls from should be from one source.  Of potential note is that my V4 runtimes are quite old, however also of note is that I've tested transferring morphs between Genesis and G2 where I've reinstalled both figures through DIM, and the result has always been the same.  Of further potential note is that the present consolidated directory has been moved from its original location at least once before.  However, I've checked Daz and DIM and all references to content are pointing to the correct location.  If this was an issue with GenX failing to find files, I would expect more error messages saying so, based on what I've read from other threads.  Aside from the DSF warnings for preset creation, I get no errors and the logs all seem to indicate that the morphs were located and transferred.

Again, this thing seems bricked.  I'm hoping maybe there's something more simple that would get this sorted, but right now I'm staring the nuclear option in the face, and that is to port my runtimes to a fresh daz install on another machine and try there, but I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that.

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited May 2016

I don´t know what happens under the hood and where the Missing-DSF-Files warning is comming from. Probably I am not very helpful in that case and the best advice I can give is to contact the vendor Dimension3D: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/profile/86407/Dimension3D

Until you get a response, my questions may or may not be helpful to figure out whats wrong. If the Log-Files are indicating everything was fine, what do you see, if you switch inside the GenX-Tab to the Morps Section, is there something in there? There you should select the figure and via the GenX-Button all GenX-transfered morphs should be listed there.

GenX generated morphs you will find on your harddrive in the following path: DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\Morphs\D3D Gen X

When you selected the option >Transfer: On For All Non Zero Values<, was the number on top of the GenX-Tab changing? Or is there still a T0? The number behind the T shows how many morph values are ready for transfer.

When you clicked the Transfer Button, filled in a Name and clicked on Accept, is there actually a transfer process going on?

Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • With regard to the latter two screenshots, I can confirm that the morphs that are selected to be transferred are indeed listed correctly and that they have the correct values.

The last screenshot fires off as intended with every indication that the transfers are taking place, e.g.:

Transferring conditional morphs:EyeIrisSizeTransferring conditional morphs:JCMKneeBendLTransferring conditional morphs:JCMKneeBendLTransferring conditional morphs:JCMThighBendFrontLTransferring conditional morphs:NeckThicknessTransferring conditional morphs:RylieNTransferring conditional morphs:EyeIrisSizeTransferring conditional morphs:JCMKneeBendRTransferring conditional morphs:JCMKneeBendRTransferring conditional morphs:JCMThighBendFrontRTransfer complete.

Just as an example, the morphs I'm trying to transfer are different, but the behavior is the same.

The first screenshot is where it's evident that the morphs were not in fact transferred.  For both Genesis and G2 targets, I have the GXC_* morphs generated when morphs are transferred but no subfolders where the actual morphs would reside.

I'm doing a fresh install on another machine right now to see if I can isolate the issue.  If not, at least these few posts will give a detailed an account of what's happening so I can hit up the developer for help on this.

• Welp...got it to work.  I have no idea what exactly I did to get it to work, could have been reinstalling V4, not setting an output file, or screwing around with my system's unicode settings, but it's working now.

Thanks, and woot, it feels great to be unchained from reliance on a single character model!

• T0M0T0M0 Posts: 8

Could someone give me a hint what I'm missing/doing wrong ?

GenX - Transferring morphs.

Loading target figure ...

Loading figure ...

C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Genesis3Female.dsf

Creating clone morph ...

Could not find intermediate figure definition.

Error creating morph from clone.

What I did so far: 

- reinstalled plugin and addon (GenX2, addonGen3) 

- reinstalled Genesis 3 Female Starter Essentials

Still same issue when I try to transfer morphs from V4 to G3F.

GenX2_G3F_error.jpg
    280 x 336 - 84K
  • IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

TOMO, have you checked this thread? http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/94881/genx2-update-genesis-3-add-on#latest

You may have to reinstall GenX2 and if you are using DS4.9 public build you may have to manually move the GenX2 folder from the standard DS folder to the public beta folder. Anyway, the thread above has a lot of problem solving tips from the product creator, D3D.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited June 2016

I don't think you can transfer directly from V4 to G3F you have to go via G2F.

OK I can't find where I read this and people do seem to be doing it so just ignore that comment.

Post edited by scorpio on
  • T0M0T0M0 Posts: 8

Thanks, D3D already helped me :)

I had older version of G2F addon installed, so always be sure that you have downloaded and installed latest versions.