Planting feet/hands

So, I'm giving animating in DS a try and needles to say, due to the lack of an animation rig that I am used to from Maya, it is rather painful : )

My question is, is there a way to somehow lock the feet when I pose them so they don't move when posing the rest of the body?

I can't really animate a simple walk cycle without the ability to do this.

Comments

• Well that's going to depend on what you mean by "Locking".

If you mean locking the joints into the current postion/ pose

simple

1. Select the joints you need to lock in the scene tab

2. Go to Menu>Edit>Figure>Lock>lock selected node or node pose, either will work.

If by contrast you mean locking the figure to the ground, then you're kinda SOL.

You can lock the body's translations, but if you use any preset, they have a tendency to unlock nodes and completely screw up what you are working on.

Also almost every preset works off of the Hip XYZ and not the base body.

• Brain fart,

you'll need to select every joint in the feet to get proper locking, otherwise certain joints will continue to work. such as invidual toes even when the parent part is locked.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861

No that's not it.

If I lock the foot for example, it still moves if the rest of the body moves. The rig the figures have just doesn't seem to be built for proper animation which is a shame.

• Ok, what you're wanting is to nail the foot to the floor so that if you move the hip the foot doesn't move but everything else does.

unfortunately daz studio doesn't support that afaik.

the closest option is to 'pin' the part, but that still allows movement when moving other body parts, such as hip pelvis, or the overall body.

For daz studio animation you kind of have to think stop motion graphics vs conventional 3d animation.

You literally have to move each joint individually to get a good result.

• The Active Pose tool does support more robust pinning, but is less flexible in use (no slider use, responds only to in-viewport translations)

• Watch this new DAZ video:

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

Yes The Video is good for User who have not used them,,, But I can not see any improvement about this tool .broken heart

Actually genesis3 and Active tool combination became worse than  genesis and genesis2. the pin si not robust which was  expected.

I hope if some one can offer tutoriall, make walk animation 1 set, without using  pre-made motion,  but template images

and set keys, for each node with Active and pose tool, as prodcut,    but Actually it will not happen.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited March 2016
    Toyen said:

So, I'm giving animating in DS a try and needles to say, due to the lack of an animation rig that I am used to from Maya, it is rather painful : )

My question is, is there a way to somehow lock the feet when I pose them so they don't move when posing the rest of the body?

I can't really animate a simple walk cycle without the ability to do this.

this was asked a lot and for years

the only rescues are in mcasuals scripts

daz pose tools cannot do that

Post edited by Ruphuss on

Yes The Video is good for User who have not used them,,, But I can not see any improvement about this tool .broken heart

Actually genesis3 and Active tool combination became worse than  genesis and genesis2. the pin si not robust which was  expected.

I hope if some one can offer tutoriall, make walk animation 1 set, without using  pre-made motion,  but template images

and set keys, for each node with Active and pose tool, as prodcut,    but Actually it will not happen.

This

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861

So long story short, we lack a proper animation rig and therefore animation becomes a very painful process.

I animated this walk cycle in maya and I cant really imagine how I would do it in DS with no rig controls and no real IK/FK options.

• EdtionEdtion Posts: 10

I kinda hope you're still having this issue because I found a way to do it and I want someone to care, though it still fails very often on the "still moving while pinned" thing; I found this post while searching for a fix/method of doing this.

So all the posing videos I see tell you about the activepose tool, paramaters and etc but I noticed  that there are some items around about IK which is the thing we use in animation-friendly tools to animate characters and not just their limbs. I figured they meant the activepose tool because it's like a more manipulative IK that locks the hip in place but then I found an old Daz3D video (pre-2012) about IK in Daz. In the video the guy was saying how the new tool/feature would offer a more natural way of posing the character than they're used to from the activepose tool, which suggests the activepose is the older method but doesn't explain why it's the one mentioned for posing but not the "newer" tool/method. So what he does is activate the Universal tool and then pin joints in that.

It functions very similar to the activepose but notably it moves the hips, allowing you to actually lock limbs (mostly) to a spot and move the rest of the character. As I said, it still kind of fails and it's also more stiff than the activepose in universal that if you move the hand, the upper arm kind of locks depending on your view whereas in activepose the shoulder and upperarm tries to kind of squish together (without deforming) to adjust for the movement.

I presed F3 and added shortcuts to the Inverse Kinematics section for ctrl/shift/ctrl+shift/ctrl+alt and space to make pins because they don't have a "toggle" pins option (also they can't share same keys with each other or activepose) .

if i understand right you added keyboard shortcuts for the active pose gizmo which normally you can only use manually ?

as i said often already

active pose only uses translation movement

no rotation

• EdtionEdtion Posts: 10
    edited June 2016

No, ActivePose has a shortcut already by default: [space], it adds or removes a pin from the selected joint.  Universal Tool uses a completely different pinning system.

I also found that you should use the UT for IK type of movements like moving the body while keeping a joint planted somewhere and then AP for more subtle or organic things like say the limbs or the stomach/spine; it seems to stick closer to the pins than AP does.

Again, I'm talking about two different tools and if you actually read my previous post AND this one and still don't know what I'm talking about, then hover over all of the tools in the toolbar shelf and read their names in the status bar because I'm not going to post any pictures to clarify something I clearly clarified in text.

edit: I see your confusion, no; Universal Tool (emphasis on tool) has a separate but similar posing functionality to the ActivePose tool; AP uses collisions somewhere to try to gve organic movements whereas UT and IK (inverse-kinematics, always labelled IK) works by just trying to lock a particular joint and compensate for movement throughout everywhere else in the body.

Off-topic question: I want to use an item from G3M on G3F, when I try to load it all of the morphs+bones are disabled/inaccessible, apparently because G3M has a different rig than G3F? Is it possible to modify G3F rig/topology and maintain morphs and/or do you know how I could create a new model from Blender into Daz using the exported .dae armature?

Post edited by Edtion on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762
    Toyen said:

So long story short, we lack a proper animation rig and therefore animation becomes a very painful process.

I animated this walk cycle in maya and I cant really imagine how I would do it in DS with no rig controls and no real IK/FK options.

Correct for automatic hand/foot contact we use Iclone Pro and export the motion data back to Genesis 2 via the 3Dxchng pipeline tool. The native tools of DS are clearly intended for still render makers.
  • RichardCRichardC Posts: 17
    edited January 2019

For daz studio animation you kind of have to think stop motion graphics vs conventional 3d animation.

exactly...yes

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • There is an add-on called LimbStick by 3D Universe that may do what your after. I haven't used it as of yet, but as the name implies, it sticks a hand or foot to a target. I suppose one could place target obgects, (e.g. small planes) Then by moving the planes, create a walk or whatever movement. May be worth looking into.

https://www.daz3d.com/limbstick-for-genesis-3-and-above