Bye Bye Daz3d

Comments

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited October 2012

RKane_1 said:

But what I don't enjoy or understand is rattling the saber with the threat of leaving instead of just leaving. DAZ is a business. If they see a drop in sales, they have enough presence of mind to adapt and begin creating more content for V4 and M4. If they see that they can make more of a profit by creating Genesis content, then they will continue down that path despite what any posts in this forum state to the contrary.

Daz never used to ask Platinum Club members why they cancelled their membership, so I'm not sure how they would know why people left.
    If they don't know why people are leaving how could they react to the loss of customers or adapt the way they do business.

Daz have said many times they are happy with the influx of new users, so I don’t see why they would want or need to change anything.

Post edited by adzan on
  • adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited October 2012

ooops i quoted myself lol

Post edited by adzan on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

adzan said:
    RKane_1 said:

But what I don't enjoy or understand is rattling the saber with the threat of leaving instead of just leaving. DAZ is a business. If they see a drop in sales, they have enough presence of mind to adapt and begin creating more content for V4 and M4. If they see that they can make more of a profit by creating Genesis content, then they will continue down that path despite what any posts in this forum state to the contrary.

Daz never used to ask Platinum Club members why they cancelled their membership, so I'm not sure how they would know why people left.
    If they don't know why people are leaving how could they react to the loss of customers or adapt the way they do business.

Daz have said many times they are happy with the influx of new users, so I don’t see why they would want or need to change anything.

I'm pretty sure they can guess and there is a grand difference between a simple "I am leaving because of X" post and one that insults users of the other products or hijacks the original posters thread, though.

As I mentioned, I support the original poster of this thread and their intentions. What I do take issue with, though, are those who SAY they are leaving but stay around to complain about the situation endlessly and hijack other threads to do so. That is wrong.

Just as it would be poor form to come into a "Goodbye" thread and belittle the poster for leaving. The reasons for leaving are well-spelled out. I may not agree with them but I heartily respect them.

• edited October 2012

As one who has already departed Daz, let me just say this:

Everyone eventually leaves Daz. Anyone who takes part in the forum eventually departs. Some can't afford to upgrade hardware. Some move on to studios like Max, Maya, modo, Lightwave, C4D, etc. Some find another interest, like painting, photography, music, that requires too much time and focus for 3D. Some get insulted and don't want any further abuse. Some pass on from fatal injuries or illness. Some consider all the great things they could have purchased instead with the money they spent here. Some just lose interest. Eventually, everyone leaves Daz. Doesn't matter how a big a fan you are, you will one day find a reason to leave too.

So why do people want to say farewell and give a reason why? Why do some, like me, show up periodically to state points of view of those who have passed on, even though I had left? I will tell you that I haven't seen a single person who has left who hasn't left friends behind. It may not be many, but there are always some.

I left here without a word or whimper, and dozens of friends thought that I had died, simply because I suddenly left without a word of farewell. So after reading of my demise, I came back and explained, and I had the fanatics jump all over me in the very same way done here. That made me not leave quite so quickly, as it told me that I had left a debt of unkindness unpaid. So I spent a little time being a thorn in peoples' sides for their atrocious behavior. I can see that it makes no difference in the behavior here, the antagonism, the goading, the rudeness, the self-righteousness, the severe loyalty. It still dominates the threads. It is the addiction.

Just keep in mind, that one day, each of you will find a reason to depart Daz. It might take another decade, but you'll find a reason to leave. When you leave, you can expect a hoard of fanatics to roast you over the fire for saying farewell to your friends, explaining why you have chosen to depart, so that your friends understand why they won't be seeing you in the future.

Remember that when it is your turn to leave and say farewell.

Post edited by trashbin_d1282b4726 on
    edited October 2012

But..., if you are here, did you really leave? *smile*

Me? I just take sabbaticals here and there. Poor RAMWolff thought I had passed away, I think. When I came back, I was surprised he remembered me and pleasantly so.

I can't blame you for leaving for whatever reason you did and I am not out of sorts over t. I would love to have a goodbye thread from everyone if they are leaving and giving a reason why but no one owes us that. It is a kindness the leaving party affords you to help answer unanswered questions.

Enter with grace and leave the same. That is the mark of a civilized person. Civility is undercherished.

:)

Post edited by RKane_1 on
  • edited December 1969

I'm only here for the weekly freebies, when they might be useful. I don't buy anything from Daz. I look at the forums every now and then, and I'm still glad that I left. No, I'm not here, not really. Look at my post count. I've quit caring about Daz. It's a non-issue to me now. I have many other things to do that are quite enjoyable. I'm living a very good life that suits me well.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

I think it's on-topic to answer this post from another thread.

There are others who may have the same mistaken impressions. (Contentious bit omitted)..

Daz3d used to have a large tutorial archive on their old website. It was promised it would be made available again, as it was promised the old forums would remain available in an archive as it had many tutorials on various topics. The tutorials, however, seem to have become extinct,

If that's ArtZone, it's stashed at the documents site.
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/start

and while there is an archive of the old forums, it was done in such a way as to render the tutorials and much of the useful information in it that relied upon pictures, images, and screen captures utterly useless.

The pictures load inline, in Firefox, with a plugin - check my sig.

There's also a method that works on one or two other browsers - in someone else's sig, I forget...

Post edited by T Jaiman on
    edited December 1969

I'm only here for the weekly freebies, when they might be useful. I don't buy anything from Daz. I look at the forums every now and then, and I'm still glad that I left. No, I'm not here, not really. Look at my post count. I've quit caring about Daz. It's a non-issue to me now. I have many other things to do that are quite enjoyable. I'm living a very good life that suits me well.

Well then congratulations and WELCOME BACK!

and ...er ...

Bye again. :)

• KludgeKludge Posts: 354
    edited October 2012

T Jaiman said:
    Kludge said:
    T Jaiman said:
    Kludge said:

Hmmm ... Going back, you're right. Not sure how I got the idea he was leaving the hobby. Or was it someone else that started that line of thought? Dunno now. Apologies to all for that blorf on my part.
    After I mentioned that CD_2012 quit the hobby, someone got mixed up.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6089/P225/#110149
    Ahhh, that's where the mix up happened. This explains many, many things.
    Why are you looking at me like that? :)

Huh? Was I? Sorry, didn't mean to make you uncomfortable.

I've got some wishlisted, in case DS3A runs on my next machine, and I find some reason to run it.

Hmmm ... I've got a rather undernourished 32 bit system (by today's standards) and even DS4.5 works. A bit slow but it works. However I pointed out in another post, that may be just dumb luck.
    I was one of handful of people who's Nvidia driver wasn't liked by DS3.
    The latest, and rollbacks, didn't help. Then again, my Windows was getting crusty.
    It'd crash, randomly, after a few minutes, even if I just started and minimized it.

My nVidia card was unloved too so I went to eBay and picked up a used ATI Radeon that met minimum specs. I had to find legacy drivers since it's not supported anymore but at least it works.

Windoze need to be rebuilt and, while I'm at it, I'll dump some of the bitzenpieces I really don't need or want. Somewhere on one of my backup DVDs is a minimalistic XP Pro that only has a 18MB footprint I created to find out how small I could really get it. Adding in the drivers for this system won't increase it much past 20MB yet it'll still be fully functional. (It was originally created for a laptop that had XP on it but not much in the way of HD. It not only saved a lot of space but booted much. much faster.) Maybe I'll try that since I really don't need all the "features" I have now.

Post edited by Kludge on
  • RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited October 2012

C4D ,Max / Maya / XSI ,LW / Modo .
    There are over 500,000 CGI Artist .
    Maybe 25 of them could model a Single Character that looked as good as one Character found in D/S Pro / Poser.

You model a Character hands feet and all it's very complicated to make it all look good.and you half to do it all so it ends up 100% quad.
    finely you have a single character.
    now you map it.
    now you texture it
    now you rig it.
    And it only took 1 to 6 months.for one character,one texture.no hair,no poses,no morphs,no expression etc etc........

So 499,975 CGI Artist need Characters.
    Where can they get them from ?
    Turbo squid for $100's if not $1000's ? you have one character ,very few if any cloths ,morphs ,expressions etc etc.
    Make human ? not a lot of textures ,hair,cloths etc etc.

How about D/S Pro ,Poser.
    C4D ,Max / Maya / XSI ,LW / Modo .Did not like V3,M3 had Tri's & Polycount to high.

C4D ,Max / Maya / XSI ,LW / Modo .Did not like V4,M4 . Polycount to high.

Gensis ,V5,M5 was made for C4D ,Max / Maya / XSI ,LW / Modo. etc etc ...

Post edited by RorrKonn on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I am happy to see you from time to time and to know that you are well.
    I am still thankful for your textures and Poser props.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

RorrKonn said:

C4D ,Max / Maya / XSI ,LW / Modo .
    There are over 500,000 CGI Artist .
    Maybe 25 of them could model a Single Character that looked as good as one Character found in D/S Pro / Poser.

You model a Character hands feet and all it's very complicated to make it all look good.and you half to do it all so it ends up 100% quad.
    finely you have a single character.
    now you map it.
    now you texture it
    now you rig it.
    And it only took 1 to 6 months.for one character,one texture.no hair,no poses,no morphs,no expression etc etc........

Turbo squid for $100's if not $1000's ? you have one character ,very few if any cloths ,morphs ,expressions etc etc.

How about D/S Pro ,Poser.
    C4D ,Max / Maya / XSI ,LW / Modo .Did not like V3,M3 had Tri's & Polycount to high.

C4D ,Max / Maya / XSI ,LW / Modo .Did not like V4,M4 . Polycount to high.

Gensis ,V5,M5 was made for C4D ,Max / Maya / XSI ,LW / Modo. etc etc ...

http://www.makehuman.org/ ;)

edited December 1969

ManStan said:

I've played with this off & on and like it. Now that they have wavefront .obj export capability, it may even be able to be brought into Studio ... or that other software package. :lol:
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2012

Kludge said:

I've played with this off & on and like it. Now that they have wavefront .obj export capability, it may even be able to be brought into Studio ... or that other software package. :lol:

While this may have some merits the thing that hasn't been mentioned on this page at least is how much support the Daz Models get.

Ya know, like NGM and NBM :) And clothes and stuff (optional of course).

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

Kludge said:

While this may have some merits the thing that hasn't been mentioned on this page at least is how much support the Daz Models get.

Ya know, like NGM and NBM :) And clothes and stuff (optional of course).

Yeah, but Make Human is Just So Much Fun! It's not a mature product and won't be for a while. Being able to use it along side of V4 rather than in place of our lovely girl is just an added bonus. :-) Besides, clothes are optional. ;-P

edited December 1969

Kludge said:
    T Jaiman said:
    Kludge said:
    T Jaiman said:
    Kludge said:

Hmmm ... Going back, you're right. Not sure how I got the idea he was leaving the hobby. Or was it someone else that started that line of thought? Dunno now. Apologies to all for that blorf on my part.
    After I mentioned that CD_2012 quit the hobby, someone got mixed up.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6089/P225/#110149
    Ahhh, that's where the mix up happened. This explains many, many things.
    Why are you looking at me like that? :)
    Huh? Was I? Sorry, didn't mean to make you uncomfortable.

Lol, no, you didn't. It was just my stupid attempt at humor.

I've got some wishlisted, in case DS3A runs on my next machine, and I find some reason to run it.

Hmmm ... I've got a rather undernourished 32 bit system (by today's standards) and even DS4.5 works. A bit slow but it works. However I pointed out in another post, that may be just dumb luck.

I was one of handful of people who's Nvidia driver wasn't liked by DS3.
    The latest, and rollbacks, didn't help. Then again, my Windows was getting crusty.
    It'd crash, randomly, after a few minutes, even if I just started and minimized it.

My nVidia card was unloved too so I went to eBay and picked up a used ATI Radeon that met minimum specs. I had to find legacy drivers since it's not supported anymore but at least it works.

I could've put a different video card in, and/or a fresh windows, but I've been "on the edge of" getting a new computer for about 4 years.

I figured I'd have a different role, for the old one, and rebuild accordingly.

A year after I got DS3a, DS4p ran crashlessly. (To coin a word). Meanwhile, I'd picked up a ridiculous amount of understanding, by reading here.

At least, if I persisted, I could get DS3a to stay up long enough to get a look at things I'd downloaded.

Now, if I can get back some of the spare time that's been evaporating since about the time I started...

Windoze need to be rebuilt and, while I'm at it, I'll dump some of the bitzenpieces I really don't need or want. Somewhere on one of my backup DVDs is a minimalistic XP Pro that only has a 18MB footprint I created to find out how small I could really get it. Adding in the drivers for this system won't increase it much past 20MB yet it'll still be fully functional. (It was originally created for a laptop that had XP on it but not much in the way of HD. It not only saved a lot of space but booted much. much faster.) Maybe I'll try that since I really don't need all the "features" I have now.

That's neat. Are there any guides for slimming XP?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:

format c:

:-)

Kendall

edited October 2012

T Jaiman said:

format c:

:-)

Kendall

:lol: Crash diet. No more crashes.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Just so you see it:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9405/

Genesis compatibility in Poser 9/2012 using the DSON format.

(now back to converting ;) )

edited October 2012

Just so you see it:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9405/

Genesis compatibility in Poser 9/2012 using the DSON format.

(now back to converting ;) )

Holy crap! I just saw the link for importer, in another thread http://www.daz3d.com/shop/products/dson-importer/

Thanks for the thread link.

So is that it? All the drama is over? Morphing, and the whole 9 yards? I must know more!

Q: Are ALL Genesis features supported in Poser?
    A: No. Some Genesis features such as collision detection and smoothing are dependent upon and function only in DAZ Studio.

Stuff has to be in DSON, or converted with DS 4.5.1.6.

Any other limitations?

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited October 2012

RorrKonn said:

I did ,I did remember make human and commented on hair ,close and all.

I try to stay on top of my game but there's a lot to keep up with.LW 11 looks like it would be fun.
    They finally let that worthless dongle go.

Past the last decade and before D/S ever existed DAZ has ruled the CGI Characters.
    I have nothing against make human ,there free ,open source ,that's cool ,but it make progress very slow ,I wish them luck ,but there 15 years behind DAZ ,there just reinventing the wheel.

Post edited by RorrKonn on
  • edited December 1969

Kerya said:

I am happy to see you from time to time and to know that you are well.
    I am still thankful for your textures and Poser props.

*Waves to Kerya*

I am working a home concert venue, sound, video, editing, playing music (weekly jam here, among other shows), photography, web mastering, cooking, pet care, and a whole lot of yard work. The music is very good, so is the food. 3.6 acres of flowers and veggies and party grounds in alluvial soil (river plain of the Colorado River, Texas). I still do a little 3D in modo when I can find the time. Life is very good.

(25 people in all of CGI who can model realistic people? Is that supposed to be a joke?)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,675
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    A: No. Some Genesis features such as collision detection and smoothing are dependent upon and function only in DAZ Studio.

Any other limitations?

Materials will usually need work until/unless there are native Poser materials.

edited October 2012

T Jaiman said:

Any other limitations?

Materials will usually need work until/unless there are native Poser materials.

Well, that goes without saying. :)

Interesting, most stuff aimed at Studio also has materials for Poser (less often for the reverse). But I guess there might've been a tendency to leave that out for Genesis stuff.

What about things like radical scaling changes with figure shapes? (I have a lot to read, I might've just said something stupid).

I heard someone say Poser improved on their old scaling issues. (The world moves a lot faster than I do, I can't keep up).

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    What about things like radical scaling changes?

I heard someone say Poser improved on their old scaling issues. (The world moves a lot faster than I do, I can't keep up).

Scaling still appears to be an issue.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Another turtle

Here in Hawaii, it's illegal to approach within 50' of sea turtles. This is cool and easily managed with careful navigation and keeping an eye out. But no one told the turtles about that and they're curious critters, especially when it comes to things in their ocean that don't look right. Like kayaks. And people surface snorkeling. Having a pod of dolphins surround you is cool and delightful but a curious turtle is outright funny.
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    T Jaiman said:
    What about things like radical scaling changes?

Scaling still appears to be an issue.

Drat.

Well, at least they can't blame Daz for that...

Obvious comeback in 5, 4, 3...

edited December 1969

Everyone eventually leaves Daz. Some pass on from fatal injuries or illness. Doesn't matter how a big a fan you are, you will one day find a reason to leave too.

Or, in this case, the reason will find you. ;-P
    edited December 1969

I'm only here for the weekly freebies, when they might be useful.

Well, yeah, they're nice too but I'm here in hopes Stana Katic shows up. :-)
    edited December 1969

Kludge said:
    chohole said:
    Another turtle

Here in Hawaii, it's illegal to approach within 50' of sea turtles. This is cool and easily managed with careful navigation and keeping an eye out. But no one told the turtles about that and they're curious critters, especially when it comes to things in their ocean that don't look right. Like kayaks. And people surface snorkeling. Having a pod of dolphins surround you is cool and delightful but a curious turtle is outright funny.

That would be quite a sight.

"Get away from me turtle! I don't want to get in trouble!"

Or is it ok for them to approach you?