Is it worth buying Michael 3..... Questions

BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello.

All the M3 things, such as head and body morphs, hi rez textures, and M3 base are on sale for $2.99 each right now.
What I am wondering is this: Is it worth the money to get these items when they are so old, superseded by M4 and M5,
and how likely am I to find clothing items and such for M3?

Thanks.
R

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Well, are you a Poser user or a DAZ Studio user?

• edited December 1969

Go ahead and grab M3. It's never a bad idea to have an older figure and there are still plenty of content available for him

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I was never a fan of M3, preferred to use David 3 until M4 came along.

It's horses for courses really.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

My thought in asking is if you use Poser, it's like j87brown says: " It’s never a bad idea to have an older figure and there are still plenty of content available for him"

If you use DAZ, then I would just buy the Genesis Shape for him. It is more expensive (but on sale at 70% right now!) and that way you will be able to use all the old Michael 3 clothes and have all of Genesis's clothing too. *smile*

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

Thanks, everyone.

I am using/learning both D4 and PP2012

Thanks.
    R

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited October 2012

M3 wasn't a bad character and he has quite a wardrobe but "The Freak" (F3) or "David" (D3) or M4 are all much better.
    Regardless, if you have a chance to get the morphs for M3 they work very nicely in F3 if you have or get him.

chohole said:

It's horses for courses really.

Hmmm... based on a discussion yesterday, perhaps "it's hoarses for coarses"?

(*snicker*)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited October 2012

Thanks, everyone.

I am using/learning both D4 and PP2012

Thanks.
    R

If you decide to go for just regular M3 and some of his stuff for all that low price, then get him. But I'd get him only for Poser.

Of course, since you use both programs, you may want to invest in both M3 and the Genesis version of M3 (if not both right now, maybe you can buy one of them later and one of them now). That way, you can use M3 in Poser and the Genesis version in Daz Studio.

Personally, I think the M3 Iconic Shape for Genesis is the better deal. More expensive, but he can wear most of M3's clothing. Plus, he's weight mapped, bends way better and is the far superior figure. Plus, if you get the GenX plugin and the M3 add-on, you can transfer all of M3's morphs to Genesis. Not a bad deal.

Good luck. :)

Post edited by Knight22179 on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited December 1969

Problem with investing in older figures that have already been out for 8-10 years or so is that a lot of what was available for them is not around any more, especially character morphs which are crucial at making them look really good. If you already have and use M4 and like M4 or even M5, then you may want to save your money instead. And incase you were wondering, the M3 iconic shape for Genesis just makes Genesis look like M3 and allows it to use M3 stuff. If you had M3 from the beginning and already had a large stock pile of content for him and you were looking to add on to that, then sure, but since male figures get far less support then females do and less is made for them, you may not find a whole lot left for M3 compared to his two current successors.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited October 2012

I say it's a good investment.
    I find myself padding out large scenes with Gen 1-3 figures in the background.

There are plenty of clothes for M3, especially at Daz and Renderosity.

Post edited by tsarist on
  • K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Personally, I think the M3 Iconic Shape for Genesis is the better deal. More expensive, but he can wear most of M3's clothing. Plus, he's weight mapped, bends way better and is the far superior figure. Plus, if you get the GenX plugin and the M3 add-on, you can transfer all of M3's morphs to Genesis. Not a bad deal.

I was going to say the same, but Knight said it all for me. Get the M3 shape for Genesis (currently on sale). It's got a lot of advantages the original M3 doesn't have, one of which is that there's much less poke-through with the garments. (All of M3's gear should be useable with Genesis once you get the M3 shape for Genesis.)

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited October 2012

Normally I would say no. I have never been a fan of M3 but I love David 3. But there are some amazing products for M3.

Here are some

This is a must have for V3 and M3, http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/-simpledetails-v3m3-bundle/78672

Found the character I was looking for

http://atlantistyle.com/atlantistyle///index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=6&Itemid=93
    http://atlantistyle.com/atlantistyle//index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=8&Itemid=93

Till this day there has not been a better or more complete character package for any male model. I had always hoped the vendor would do an M4 version but never it happened.

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited December 1969

Xurge has some outstanding outfits for M3. http://www.xurge3d.com/daz_3d_s_michael_3

Personally, I think all the old figures are worth having, especially if you can purchase them at a discount. Variety is the 2nd cousin of invention.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

You can bring those M3 morphs and characters into Genesis, too. Genesis Generation X, plus GenX AddOn Gen3 for V3 and M3 (or GenX AddOn Gen3 Bundle), plus the M3 Iconic shape (any any others).

There's a possibility the GenX stuff might go on sale, if there's no hurry.

So, that gives you a lot of flexibility. You can buy Generation 3/4 stuff, and use it on those characters, or put it on Genesis. They'll all go into Poser, too.

Post edited by T Jaiman on