*CLOSED* RRRR Contest - $240 in GC prizes!!

TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
edited November 2012 in The Commons

Hello folks!

For all who have no clue what the RRRR is, it stands for "Random Runtime Roulette Renders".
It's a competition organized by B.W.C (Bald Wizards Club) that has been running in the members forum for a while, but we decided to bring it to prime time here in the Commons.

Who can play?

Anyone who can read this can play!

How do you prepare yourself for play?

The rules are very simple, but first you need to have all your items in some kind of order in a textfile, dumped from the itemized history into a text file or a spread sheet. Remove things like software, giftcerts, and special plugins from the list.
Then you use a randomizer to randomly pick 4 items from your list (your Runtime).

Randomizer that works well: http://www.random.org/

There are some situations where you allowed to redraw, these are:

- You picked something that doesn’t work, broken thing, only works in a version / software not used etc etc.

- You picked a software or add-on to a software or anything you should have filtered out from the list.

- You picked only huge environment props and will not be able to render a scene without crashing.

- You picked an item you already have been using in two RRRR renders in this content and that was picked randomly. Three is a curse - rule!

Bundles

If you pull a bundle, use two three complete items from it, or more if you like, but you do not need to use all, but only picking a hairpin from V4 Complete Bundle is “too little”. Clarification: A bundle still counts as only one pulled item.

The rules of madness!

Now you have successfully picked 4 items, make a scene, you can add other items as well but the one you picked should be prominent or cleverly used. Render it, post it and make us all laugh! Remember though that the renders must follow the TOS of the forum.

The contest categories!

There are two categories, funniest and best, you get it. A fun render might maybe not be a super great render but tells a fun story it will place whatever the viewer just put in the mouth on the screen and keyboard.

Contest duration!

It stats now, and will go on until Sunday November 18 23:59:59 DAZ local time.

Yes, we have prizes, thanks to our sponsors!

This months sponsors so far:

Ken OBanion has put in $100 in DAZ GCs
Bohemian3 has put in $30 in DAZ CGs
belovedalia has put in $10 in DAZ GCs
Jaderail has put in $20 in DAZ GCs
Barbult has put in $20 in DAZ GCs
Micky_3D has put in $20 in DAZ GCs
Luci45 has put in $20 in DAZ GCs
ARTCollaborations has put in $20 in DAZ GCs

I myself will add three items of my creation to the prize pot, and maybe add one more if I get it done in time. The items are B.W.C Country Road, B.W.C Guillotine and 80s Punk for Genesis, see pictures below.

I hope we can attract some more sponsors. Sponsors may or may not participate in the contest, their own decision, I won’t lock anyone out just because they are generous to sponsor this. If you want to sponsor, send me a PM or post in the thread!

More to know?

I will might edit this when new info on sponsors arrive.

Maximum number of entries?
Yes, this time we limit the number of entries per person to seven.

Are you ready to render? 3….2….1…..go!

One more thing...
As many of you cannot see the previous RRRR, I decided to post winners from last contest so you can an idea if what it is about?

The winners in the Best category are:
First place: #39 Crown Prince Edwin returns from a long summer vacation to find the beaver population in an uproar over the kingdom’s encroachment on their habitat by Luci45
Second place: #29 I wish I were young again by Barbult
Third place: #22 During my summer vacation I crossed the ocean with my best friend to fight the devil for a bottle of wine by Azoohouse

The winners in the Funniest category are:
First place: #30 I had some dental work done during my summer vacation by Azoohouse
Second place: #38 Lost in translation by totte
Third place: #16 The House Sitters by Luci 45

Attached the collages with the winners for you to view.

EDIT: Important note!
To make voting easier, all entry posts should have a tag with TAG:#, then voting can just point to that. See my first post (TAG:Totte#1) for a hint on how. You can just edit you post to add that.

Post edited by Totte on

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

OK, I start it off, Pull!

The gods of random gave me:

14 MU Link Chamber
    Susie's Rags (Rendo)
    ShoXoloR for Angelo Hair (Rendo)
    HEAVY HAULER Bureaucratic Series

Interesting mix....

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited December 1969

This is a good oppertunity to categorize my items!
    Also, it will be a good starting point for practise, so count me in!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am not sure I will get to play this time but what the Heck I might get one render in this time. PULL!

124: Fantasy and Sci-Fi Effects
    206: Lisa's Botanicals - Ravens Rest
    283: Real Cases 1
    245: Modular Command Chair

Hmm.. All prop's and effects sets. This just might be very easy to do.

• HoppittyHoppitty Posts: 461
    edited December 1969

Had to copletely redo my list, since I hadn't been keeping it updated with new purchases...and I'd skipped the last RRRR. :red:

So...here's my pull!
    86. Fog Tool Deluxe III
    198. Shackles of the Inquisition: Shackles & Poses
    101. Hardcore Utility Shaders DS
    110. Hunter's Moon

Fog, a backdrop, props/poses...and a suite of metal/fabric shaders. I'll see what I can come up with!

• bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,021
    edited December 1969

This contest really stretches your imagination and pushes you to learn more and more about how amazing and powerful DAZ is. There’s nothing more fun that trying to take four random objects that don’t seem to go together and make them work in a scene.

Here are a few tips for anyone who has not tried an RRRR contest before. (The teacher in me coming out.)

1) Check out your material settings – You can combine products in hundreds of different ways by making different parts of an object transparent. Check out your surfaces tab The skies the limit!

2) Use shaders to recolor your objects using the surfaces tab. This helps to make the pants from one object match the shirt from another!

3) When you have lots of elements in a scene it may be helpful to render them in different passes, (for example your background elements first, then your foreground) You can combine them in “Postwork” using layers in Gimp or Photoshop. That gives you more options as well to manipulate different parts of your scene. Again a great time to push your limits and learn new things.

These are a few tips. I’ll add more and invite other RRRR veterans to add there’s as well.

Join the fun!

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh that' looks interesting.. might try in the evening to put all my runtime on the text file ... hmm.. will be tough :)

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited October 2012

Well, I thought I'd give this a go, jut because I've been having a hard time motivating myself to play with my 3D stuff after some crushing disappointments lately (a certain Toon Cow turned out to be DS4.5 ONLY!!) (I can't get that program to install on my system, and was extremely disappointed in the interface when I installed it on a work computer - so much so that I could not even use the program!) (But that's another story!).

I had the itemized order history already, so went to random.org and got my 4 numbers. They were: (Insert Drum Roll Here)

74 Bulldozer
    179 Fairy Garden
    510 Toonimal Bat
    361 Ollie

(Insert Cymbal Crash Here)

The spread of characters, props, and environment was Perfect!

Several scenes immediately came to mind, so I'll play around and post something.

I'm shocked no Bovine Items appeared in this list though... Could be because many were free or from outside sources, thus not in my order history. I may force a Cow into the scene anyhow. After all, a Bulldozer needs a Cowdozer to make it's life complete!

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

...After all, a Bulldozer needs a Cowdozer to make it's life complete!

Now you could really do something great with that idea. Go for it!
  • randym77randym77 Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

Here's what I drew:

Millennium Dragon LE
    Sassy Hair
    Once Upon a Midnight Splendour
    An Umbrello

Two hairs, a dragon, and a fantasy architectural prop. I'm kinda disappointed it wasn't a more challenging selection of items.

• 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited October 2012

This contest sounds fun!

My random mixture is:

2110 - Rose Garden: Pumpkin House
    2310 - Southside Steamworks (Texture Requires Steamworks, which I also have)
    1113 - Gothic Ruins
    391 - Camille for V4

So three architectural elements and a Character. This is the first time I have ever done a render with a random collection of items. We'll see what I can do with these.

(BTW, I have a large list of products so I used a random number generator online to select 4 numbers and then looked up the corresponding number on my alphabetized list of DAZ products only. I did not have to redraw any numbers as none landed on software, GC, or plugins.)

Post edited by 3DProclivity on
    edited October 2012

Kaputcha said:
    So...here's my pull!
    86. Fog Tool Deluxe III
    198. Shackles of the Inquisition: Shackles & Poses
    101. Hardcore Utility Shaders DS
    110. Hunter's Moon

TAG:Kaputcha#1

My items:
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/fog-tool-deluxe-iii
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/shackles-of-the-inquisition-shackles-poses
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/hardcore-utility-shaders-ds
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/hunter-s-moon

Used Hunter's Moon for the backdrop and ground, Fog Tool 3 for the ground fog, and the shackles on her wrists and ankle are from Shackles of the Inquisition. The shaders were a bit tougher, but there were some fabrics in there; used the pink camo for her shirt, then applied various metals to this guy: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/rock-golem keeping only his glowy runes, and reducing his size to 75% to fit him in the scene.

Final render attacked below, full size here: http://hoppitty.deviantart.com/art/The-Escape-331713283

rrrr1csm.jpg
    800 x 640 - 134K
    Post edited by Hoppitty on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

27-Andoria City
    365-Joss for V4
    294-Garden Furniture
    425-M4 Sol Elite

Well, here's hoping I have the time.

edited October 2012

TAG:Totte#1

Totte said:

14 MU Link Chamber
    Susie's Rags (Rendo)

Also items used:
    V4
    V4 Highres maps
    Angelo HAir V4
    Millenium Dog
    Alien Dogs
    Dystopian heady Hauler
    Core Lighting 1

Rupert! I told you not to pee on the cleaning bots

dont-pee-s.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 235K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'm in! (I'm still on the adrenaline rush from the last one!)

My draw:
    1103 - Cheirocrates
    569 - Lisa's Botanicals - Honeysuckle
    475 - V4 MFD Expansion Pack 1
    883 - TOA Arabian Nights for Aiko 3

Hmm.... Not all that fond of Aiko, but I'll see what I can do.

edited December 1969

Hmm.... Not all that fond of Aiko, but I'll see what I can do.

hint hint Genesis hint hint
  • michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Hi Totte,
    great game, I'm in! just one question? Do I have to use the same four items I drew from the 
Randomizer in all 7 renders or do I draw a new lot of number for each new render? I hope my question makes sense, it's well past my bedtime. :-)

Here's my draw

53 David Base
    32 Hunter DL Poses
    19 Garden Escape Planters
    155 More Deadly Edges

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Totte,
    great game, I'm in! just one question? Do I have to use the same four items I drew from the 
Randomizer in all 7 renders or do I draw a new lot of number for each new render?
    Diff roll's each render. It get's addictive if you have the time. :grrr:
    edited December 1969

To make it all clearer: Second pull!

#1714 - Magic Containers
    #1701 - M4 Legionnaire
    #2454 - The Hotel Lobby (Rendo)
    #2109 - Rita (texture set for Malvada V4)

OK?

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,648
    edited December 1969

We're really starting another RRRR already?! Oh, well, guess I can force myself. :cheese:

I'm glad to see this in the Commons so more "Dazaholics" can participate.

Pull:
    Braxton for M5
    Star View
    Witch for V4
    Snipe

(This should be fun. Hehe.)

edited December 1969

Trying again (no promises I'll actually get a second entry in)!

Pull #2:
    30. Brutish Armory
    21. Battleworn
    143. Millennium SubDragon
    189. RoboSpider

Two figures (spider, dragon), a set of skins for a third figure (battleworn for BEO2k10), and a set of weapons that none of those three figures would ordinarily use... Minimum three figures for this one, possibly a 4th. We'll see!

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

I’ve got a question maybe a silly one, what does CGs ore GCs means?? :red:

edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    I’ve got a question maybe a silly one, what does CGs ore GCs means?? :red:

Gift Certificates, here in the DAZ Store.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

aah thank you Totte thank you for the answer :-)

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    TAG:Totte#1
    Totte said:

14 MU Link Chamber
    Susie's Rags (Rendo)

Also items used:
    V4
    V4 Highres maps
    Angelo HAir V4
    Millenium Dog
    Alien Dogs
    Dystopian heady Hauler
    Core Lighting 1

Rupert! I told you not to pee on the cleaning bots

Off to your usual insane start, I see! Totte, you are an (inter)national treasure!

edited December 1969

My first draw in the new Commons RRRR:
    Treasure Chests
    Tori for V5
    Stefan for M4 and Genesis
    Steam Truck Red Bizon

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

This sounds like a lot of fun, perfect to motivate the muse! One question tho - and it's a really stupid one I know....how do you use that random.org to get your 4 random items? :blush:

edited October 2012

TAG:barbult#1

barbult said:
    My first draw in the new Commons RRRR:
    Treasure Chests
    Tori for V5
    Stefan for M4 and Genesis
    Steam Truck Red Bizon

Title: Locked Out

Tori: Darn it, I'm locked out of the park again. Oh well, there's probably nothing going on in there today anyway.

RRRR_Tori_Stefan_Treasure_Truck_.jpg
    1200 x 1060 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Hi Totte,
Randomizer in all 7 renders or do I draw a new lot of number for each new render?
    Diff roll's each render. It get's addictive if you have the time. :grrr:
    Thank Jaderail,
    Yahoo! I love this game!:bug:
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

would it be allowable to do the randomer like, run the randomer to pick a page of my item hist, then run it again to pick an item on the page?

edited December 1969

would it be allowable to do the randomer like, run the randomer to pick a page of my item hist, then run it again to pick an item on the page?

That's OK, and while you're at it, ask DAZ to implement a randomizer in the Itemized History, we need a RRRR button there ;-)