Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I think I bought that outfit yesterday, I'll check. However, have several errands to run, getting an extension cord for the high velocity fan for Stetson that I am putting on the side of his stall so he will have two (blowing front, blowing side) as heat index is 109.  I'll see if I bought it and if I can do a quickie.

I didn't have it but I had wishlisted it, I bought it as I realized I could use my PC club PA discount. Got it for $6.96 (I had bought 2 other items with it, got three things for around $15 so went ahead and did it.)  So don't forget about your PC discounts! 

edited June 2016

Okay, I thrust the leg way out to see if I could easily cover it, no problem. Has nice morphs that address the thighs (and you can turn off limits, which I did)  I didn't bother posing her hands meticulously with each finger placed, this is a quickie. They don't poke through but that's about it lol!  Took less than 3 minutes to render. Wearing Geneva Hair! You can turn it so the top of the hair doesn't even show.

watchmycharm.jpg
    417 x 805 - 157K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited June 2016

Novica that outfit is really cute and modest, I do like the boots and the hat...are there any morphs to adjust the brim of the hat, or to adjust to fit over hair? I have it wishlisted for now to pick up at a later date.

Post edited by Kharma on
    edited June 2016

It has Fit Crown (up and down) Fit Heads (Width) Fit Girl 7. So yes, you can adjust height and width of the head part in Parameters. So checking on the Rim- If you use Scene,  all I'm finding is that Group box, no way to break down bones or anything. Others can correct me if I'm wrong. (I tried Expand, just in case. No-go.) So no, the rim looks fixed there's only the three things I have listed for the Hat for adjustments. For Parameters>General, you do have all the XYZ's for translate, rotate, and scale, but it's THE ENTIRE HAT. Hope this helps.

Post edited by Novica on

Yes that helps alot, thanks. I think it would have been handy if you could dip the brim down or up a bit but maybe it would be difficult to do?

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    Kharma said:

Yes that helps alot, thanks. I think it would have been handy if you could dip the brim down or up a bit but maybe it would be difficult to do?

A D-Former and less than 5 minutes...

Fisty said:
    Kharma said:

A D-Former and less than 5 minutes...

Thanks for tip Fisty, I tried deformers a long time ago but didn't really get the hang of it, guess this would present an opportunity to learn :)

edited June 2016

For folks who have never done one: When you do one, go to Create>D former. It will load like this. The red areas will have the most influence. You must have the item selected first in Scene, so the D former can be put with it to influence it. 

Then I go to Top View to see where that Base is. It is what pulls your field. It is buried inside the hat.  I'm not guaranteeing to do this to the completion, depends on how easy it is. I haven't done D formers in over a year. Hope I remember how to save the thing. We'll see.

You can see the base, looks like a spinning top.  That big red circle is the field, I am going to click on the field in Scene, and Scale to scale it down. I want a small, concentrated area to get specific pulling. Edit: To move the base, you need to select D Former Hat Base, NOT D Former Hat. The latter will move the mesh of the hat! 

So this is with the D former Hat Base moved to the rim of the hat.

Then you move your Field, and use the Scale to get it as small as you want. Use Y Scale to shrink it in height, X to shrink the side/longways, and Z to shrink the front/back. I narrowed it to the rim.

Once you have the Field right, you pull the D former (not the Base, not the Field) and get it slightly changed. If you don't have a change, it will not form a morph. Dear Jaderail, Szark and I went around and around for a few hours three years ago, we couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Once you get a slight change, you do the Windows>Pane>Dformer thing and create your morph. There are a lot of tutorials on that, I am not recreating the wheel. I already did this two or three times, but next post I will show you the screenshots.

dform.jpg
    600 x 375 - 992K
    dform2.jpg
    590 x 504 - 1M
    dform3.jpg
    595 x 511 - 904K
    dform4.jpg
    595 x 639 - 1M
    dform5.jpg
    497 x 564 - 955K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2016

Showing the rim being pulled. Just for you Kharma!  wink

When you save the morph (In Windows>Panes>Dform this is the popup. Bottom image shows the morph in action. There ya go, the rim moves! It will be a slider in Parameters under Morphs (once you create it like the top image shows you.)  Click to enlarge.

dform6.jpg
    549 x 510 - 1M
    dform7.jpg
    454 x 700 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

Thanks very much for the mini tutorial Novica, I remember now why I gave up on the deformer..I couldn't get it to work because I wasn't selecting the right part of the deformer and the right selection in the scene.  I got so frustrated I quit messing with it figuring I would come back to it another time

edited June 2016

Well, when you want to, tackle it on something and if you get stuck I can talk you through it. The main thing is to pull the D former, NOT the base, NOT the field. THen it's easy if you use the scale options to shrink the field so it's small and covers exactly the area you want to tweak. wink

Okay everyone, a new thread! SereneNight and I did some backgrounds for you awhile ago, and they are buried in this thread. So I created a brand new thread for some new backgrounds, SereneNight has made A HUNDRED FREE ONES for you!  If you'd like to contribute free portrait backgrounds (not scenery) then check out this thread, and to grab the free ones!  Spread the word so other people will know.

Post edited by Novica on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited June 2016

My work flow is to drag and resize the field first, then copy/paste its settings to the base (alt-click on the scale dials for the base to set them back to 100%), then I move the d-former handle thingy itself as much as I need.  After you play with it a little bit it's not hard to figure out where things need to go.  There are lots of littlee tricks and nuances to get the results you want but that's the basics.

Post edited by Fisty on
    edited June 2016

Meet Elijah, A G3M available at Rendo, wearing Island Warrior Outfit and Colin Hair. I wanted to also show you Knights Keep (I darkened the diffuse to a gray, the stone is lighter.) Which is an older PC item and does just fine in Iray IMO. Pick it up for $1.99 if you're a PC member. 

elijahRendo.jpg
    890 x 858 - 611K
    ElijahRendo2.jpg
    765 x 900 - 614K
    ElijahRendo3.jpg
    651 x 860 - 548K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2016

Okay ladies, ready for a hot date? Here's Elijah in a friendly mood. Wearing Keegan Hair with Slosh's shaders (the first ones) and Eternal Desert Warrior outfit.  (Once again, I put the shirt diffuse to a gray so it didn't wash out.)  I also put a gray in the teeth diffuse, and translucency a light blue (very light.) 

Take note- this is one of Serene Night's ONE HUNDRED FREE BACKGROUNDS that you will find in our portrait background thread here in the Art Studio! If you have free portrait backgrounds, post them there. 

Click to enlarge.

ElijahRendo4.jpg
    965 x 900 - 632K
    Post edited by Novica on

BTW, I always put my Dome Orientation Y to 230 if I want good side lighting. This had Environment Intensity to 1.04, Film ISO was 215.94, Exposure Value 13.76 and Shutter Speed 100.55

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited June 2016

Thanks for the backgrounds, Novica and friends. I tried one from Kismet2012 this time. This is a Genesis 3 morphed female with Lani Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s), Trend Setter Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s) shirt, Mall Girl for Genesis 3 Female(s) camisole, and FW Joanie HD pearls. I used a Mec4D satin shader on the shirt and camisole.

Post edited by barbult on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Just picked picked up the new hair shaders Fantasy colors and Ultimate color.  If you bought the first sets there is a pop up discount plus if you buy both you get an additional 10% off on top of that. AND you get three jewelry items from Emma and Jordi for $5 each.  One of the hair products looks like it may have a script that allows you to mix and match not only colors but possibly hair styles as well.  Going to be digging into that one later today or this evening.

Many thanks for the backgrounds as well!  They are lovely!

Elijah looks great, he has a more rough and tumble look than some of theG3 Males that have come out.  I like him.  And Barbult she looks fantastic and Mec4D's shader looks incredibly real!

Thank you, I really like him. Barbult, Joanie looks awesome! And I do like that background. I have a lot of Ron's brushes, I should do some when I get time. (well, make time I guess.) I think combining hair will be cool with Slosh's latest product, I will have to get in the mood to figure it out though. And of course, GenX for Genesis 3 is finally here!!!!!

OMGosh, go to the panda cam right now, he is rolling and playing with toys!!!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Novica said:

OMGosh, go to the panda cam right now, he is rolling and playing with toys!!!

I missed it!  Looks like it's dinner time now!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092

Does anyone here have Darius 6 and Aave Nainen's "A Gentleman's Wardrobe" by any chance? And would be willing to try a render (Iray for preference) to see if they play together? Over on the current RRRR thread Ken O'Banion has been having a strange problem with that pairing and it would be nice to know if it's a general problem or just something about his setup. This is the post: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1300196/#Comment_1300196

Thanks to anyone who has the time and the product pairing to test. (I have Darius but not that clothing)

MelanieL said:

Does anyone here have Darius 6 and Aave Nainen's "A Gentleman's Wardrobe" by any chance? And would be willing to try a render (Iray for preference) to see if they play together? Over on the current RRRR thread Ken O'Banion has been having a strange problem with that pairing and it would be nice to know if it's a general problem or just something about his setup. This is the post: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1300196/#Comment_1300196

Thanks to anyone who has the time and the product pairing to test. (I have Darius but not that clothing)

I have them and I'll give it a try.

Sorry MelanieL, I was out pulling weeds- thorny running strands that are taking over my garden beds. I see Barbult has it covered. Thanks!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092

Yes, thanks a lot barbult smiley

MelanieL said:

Yes, thanks a lot barbult smiley

They worked fine for me. I responded over in the RRRR thread.

edited June 2016

Alexander for Kimo 7 wearing Adam Hair in the first two shots, then Leandros Hair and Beard. The first outfit was At Home Comfort, the second Bard Outfit (G3M) and the last one is Fairytale Prince. (G3M)

You may get different results, but when testing both of the skins that come with Alexander, I did not get a skin tone like the promo (which looks tan.) Both of them rendered more red than what I personally prefer.  I used the default Iray lights. I spent about five hours tweaking the skin and lips. Was just in a tinkering mood.

One thing I read up on was anisotrophy- when you increase that, it helps blur the highlights. So if you don't like the hard sheen stripes, raise the glossy anisotrophy number. (more means more blur.) Mine went from 0 to .083, you don't have to change it a lot.

This may help you out a bit if you have a reddish character skin and want to play with it. (And not assuming you want to. You may like it.) You can tinker from here, but this will save you a lot of time. Change the Base color to 204/195/174.  Translucency 214 / 210 / 197, Top Coat 153/169/169. Transmitted Color 173/171/171.  It's a fun combination of creams, grays, and blues, but you'll end up with a skin tone like my Alexander. On Alexander, to get rid of some of that sheen, (you may want to keep it, I thought it a bit oily)  I increased the Diffuse roughness to .13, Glossy layered weight went to .27, Glossy Reflectivity down to .50. Below, I've posted the original materials, then one of my tweaked, the the last two are the final results using these settings. He makes a good medieval and a good prince!  

Also note I darkened the white of the sclera, the white of the teeth, the fingernail color changed a bit, and I changed the lips. Once his skin tone changed, the lips didn't look right IMO. BTW, he has nice teeth- they are not square blocks, they look like teeth!

Hope this helps!  smiley

Alexander7ORIG.jpg
    593 x 900 - 345K
    AlexanderMINE6Final.jpg
    593 x 900 - 372K
    Alexander10.jpg
    710 x 984 - 619K
    Alexander11.jpg
    672 x 973 - 532K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    Novica said:

Okay ladies, ready for a hot date? Here's Elijah in a friendly mood. Wearing Keegan Hair with Slosh's shaders (the first ones) and Eternal Desert Warrior outfit.  (Once again, I put the shirt diffuse to a gray so it didn't wash out.)  I also put a gray in the teeth diffuse, and translucency a light blue (very light.) 

Take note- this is one of Serene Night's ONE HUNDRED FREE BACKGROUNDS that you will find in our portrait background thread here in the Art Studio! If you have free portrait backgrounds, post them there. 

Click to enlarge.

you kow the Carly Simon song that comes to my mind ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6UAYGxiRwU

Ruphuss said:

you kow the Carly Simon song that comes to my mind ?

LOL, have to agree! He does look rather pleased with himself! 

Well say hello to Ivan! Glad to see there is a character that is weathered. Have to go take a look at what else is in the bundle. 

This discussion has been closed.