June 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Scenes and Landscapes” – WIP Thread

Comments

• Here's version g, just rendered this afternoon.

june2016g.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 641K
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited June 2016

Been away for a while. Wanted to get active again. Big plans for this, need muzzle flares and flying shell casings... I don't know what else.

yl1.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 634K
    Post edited by evilded777 on
  • Been away for a while. Wanted to get active again. Big plans for this, need muzzle flares and flying shell casings... I don't know what else.

Looks like you have a good start here. One question, what is he wering? I think I'd be able to use something like that in some of my future works.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Been away for a while. Wanted to get active again. Big plans for this, need muzzle flares and flying shell casings... I don't know what else.

The environment is great, and there's a lot to see. 

My main comment concerns the placid expression on the hero's face.  He needs the "eye of the tiger" - give him a snarl of concentration.  Just take a look at some action hero movie where the hero is shooting up the villains, monsters, etc.  That's the look you need to bring tension into the picture. 

For additional interest, have another character (good guy or bad guy) looking down on the scene from the space between the shield wall (not sure what else to call it) in the elevated walkway in the upper left. It will be the sort of thing that catches the eye after the viewer has been looking at it for a while.  Think about who it is, to add to your story. 

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    dracorn said:

My main comment concerns the placid expression on the hero's face.  He needs the "eye of the tiger" - give him a snarl of concentration.  Just take a look at some action hero movie where the hero is shooting up the villains, monsters, etc.  That's the look you need to bring tension into the picture. 

For additional interest, have another character (good guy or bad guy) looking down on the scene from the space between the shield wall (not sure what else to call it) in the elevated walkway in the upper left. It will be the sort of thing that catches the eye after the viewer has been looking at it for a while.  Think about who it is, to add to your story. 

I tend to agree.  My first thought was your guy needs an angry, fierce, grinning, something type of expression.

Great start.  Looking forward to see what you do with it.

Looks like you have a good start here. One question, what is he wering? I think I'd be able to use something like that in some of my future works.

MOS Invasion for Michael 3 with the Major Invasion add on 3rd gen stuff coverts really well a lot of the time, just convert to Genesis first, then to Genesis  2 or 3.

dracorn said:

Yeas, he needs an expression. I tend to leave those for much later in the process .will have to see if I can squeeze an extra up there,  thanks for the idea.

Here's version g, just rendered this afternoon.

I'm not sure that the stuff going on outside really adds to the image.  I loved the early stages where the story was right there in front of me.  I want to ditch what's going on outside and somehow build the tension INSIDE. This was soooo creepy with just the blood pool and the hand.

dracorn said:

Here's is the next version.  I added a few objects - some trash (I found a wastepaper basket which had crumpled paper in it), and the guitar case.  Too bad you can't see the money in it from this angle (Free Money from Share CG - has morphable bills).

I also increased the light and changed its angle and reduced the shadow softness.  That's a good start.  I'll play around with it a little more.

I moved some of the birds around and changed some poses so that the duplication is less evident. 

The trash to the left of the woman's feet has to go.  I don't like it there, especially the one that is defying gravity.

I tried little pebbles as bread crumbs, but no matter what shader or texture I applied, they still looked like rocks.  Next I tried using some of the little cakes from A Curious Tea - Eat Me, but again, couldn't find a shader that looked like bread.  But also, the individual pieces took more time than I would like to render, and I didn't want an abundance of bread crumbs to slow down the render.  Looks like I'll have to Photoshop the crumbs in.  Maybe I can put a colored pebble in some of the birds' beaks, we'll see.

The city haze will wait until the end.

I really like this, but it needs focus.  Right now, with the birds (where did you find a magpie? I kinda would like to have one for a pet project) front and center and getting more light than basically anything else, they get my focus.  And they seem oddly positioned if the man in the shelter is feeding them,  That's a long way to throw breadcrumbs, isn't it?

Lots of great detail, but something/someone needs to be the central focus as the focus is currently no-where, really.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Here's version g, just rendered this afternoon.

The light settings are working much better for me now, one can distinguish the interior, even though I'm not shure I want to know  more about that fleshy lump there ;-) but I think the flame is too much, I understand you wnat it there to give a reason for the light but I would try to leave it out of renderframe ans see if the message still gets told by light and reflection alone. Something I'm not sure about anymore is what is the liquid on the floor? From the setting it's probably blood but from the consistency it looks like oil.

dracorn said:

Here's is the next version.  I added a few objects - some trash (I found a wastepaper basket which had crumpled paper in it), and the guitar case.  Too bad you can't see the money in it from this angle (Free Money from Share CG - has morphable bills).

I also increased the light and changed its angle and reduced the shadow softness.  That's a good start.  I'll play around with it a little more.

I moved some of the birds around and changed some poses so that the duplication is less evident. 

The trash to the left of the woman's feet has to go.  I don't like it there, especially the one that is defying gravity.

I tried little pebbles as bread crumbs, but no matter what shader or texture I applied, they still looked like rocks.  Next I tried using some of the little cakes from A Curious Tea - Eat Me, but again, couldn't find a shader that looked like bread.  But also, the individual pieces took more time than I would like to render, and I didn't want an abundance of bread crumbs to slow down the render.  Looks like I'll have to Photoshop the crumbs in.  Maybe I can put a colored pebble in some of the birds' beaks, we'll see.

The city haze will wait until the end.

Hope you find your way to breadcrumbs but I guess its not even necessary. probably just give the sitting man a piece of bread to the hand and probably a trowing movement with the other will be detail enough. The light is better in terms of I can see better what is going on but it got a bit boring bow. The older version had some kind of desolation (not sure if that was your intention) Don't try to light everything to the same level, that will end in "light pulp". you can work with different light colours to add more mood to your scene if you don't want to loose the details in shadow.

edited June 2016

I am looking for advise here on my WIP on which one is the better one and about the posing for each and such like ligting and shadows etc......Using Daz Studio 3Delight and some postwork in PSP9.

anybody commented on this by now?  From the reaction of your protagonists the last one fits best, though the cowering girl should duck some more, probably lifting her arms over her head.

The setting in the moment is a little taken into pieces by the hard outlines. I'm not sure what you are aiming for, probably some postwork to take a step away from " realistic" .So I don't want to push you into this or that from your original idea, but you should keep in mind to get the different parts to a better connection with each other for your further work. Problem with the grass in the rock has already been pointed out.

Will be interesting to see where you go with this one.

Post edited by Linwelly on

Thanks evilded777 and Linwelly for your recent comments - and everyone else who has contributed to the bread crumb dilemma!

I was thinking about your comments, evilded777, regarding no focus and how to fix that.  So before I go back to the drawing board, I thought that perhaps a camera angle change is what it needs.  Rather then looking towards the people and shelter with the city beyond, how about I move the point of view to behind/off to the side of the old man, facing the wall, the people and the city.  The subject then becomes the old man and his point of view of the scenery and subjects.  This would require moving the wall and people opposite of the shelter where the old man is sitting, because the viewer will be looking out.

I don't have time to work on it tonight, but wanted to know what people thought of my idea before I tear into my scene.

By the way, the magpie is a morph and texture from Noggin's Poser Crow.  People must really like those magpies, because you are the second person to ask me about them!   smiley

• zax797zax797 Posts: 15

this is very much an experiment with the Bryce program, fairly nice for a first good render. any suggestions to add?

Untitled.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
    dracorn said:

Thanks evilded777 and Linwelly for your recent comments - and everyone else who has contributed to the bread crumb dilemma!

I was thinking about your comments, evilded777, regarding no focus and how to fix that.  So before I go back to the drawing board, I thought that perhaps a camera angle change is what it needs.  Rather then looking towards the people and shelter with the city beyond, how about I move the point of view to behind/off to the side of the old man, facing the wall, the people and the city.  The subject then becomes the old man and his point of view of the scenery and subjects.  This would require moving the wall and people opposite of the shelter where the old man is sitting, because the viewer will be looking out.

I don't have time to work on it tonight, but wanted to know what people thought of my idea before I tear into my scene.

By the way, the magpie is a morph and texture from Noggin's Poser Crow.  People must really like those magpies, because you are the second person to ask me about them!   smiley

What I do when I am going to make a major change to a scene like that is save it out as an alternate.  That way I sitll have the original if I want to go back to it and I have another version I can work on and make those changes.

zax797 said:

this is very much an experiment with the Bryce program, fairly nice for a first good render. any suggestions to add?

I do not use Bryce but this is a great first render.  Do you have any specific questions about the program?  There are Brycers around that can help.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

no  I am not around    I am hiding.  J/K  

dracorn said:

What I do when I am going to make a major change to a scene like that is save it out as an alternate.  That way I sitll have the original if I want to go back to it and I have another version I can work on and make those changes.

I Definately plan on saving it out to a new file, thank you. It will be easier to move the old man and give him his own bench and leave the shelter where it is - my guitarist has to lean on something.
    Chohole said:

no  I am not around    I am hiding.  J/K  

You're not very good at it...cool

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

It's so weird how she pops up as soon as Bryce is mentioned!!!  surprise

It's so weird how she pops up as soon as Bryce is mentioned!!!  surprise

Saves me from having to try and track her down.  Thinking Smiley Face

• zax797zax797 Posts: 15
    zax797 said:

I do not use Bryce but this is a great first render.  Do you have any specific questions about the program?  There are Brycers around that can help.

I do alot more with Daz. Bryce is one of those special programs that can make some amazing landscapes. but the attached was done earlier this week, to act as my Youtube banner.

youtube banner.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    dracorn said:

Having trouble visualizing, but that's on me. Interested to see, though.

• Here's version h.

june2016h.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 633K
  • dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited June 2016

Was fiddling around with some older models I got, but never used.

This is an Iray render.

DesertCombatIRAY1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 659K
    Post edited by dHandle on
    edited June 2016

@Shinjiikari9th

I feel like you have lost some focus in the various changes to your image.  This is something I struggle with at times as well.  I make so many changes I lose sight of where I wanted to go with an image.

I am attaching a file of 3 versions with notes regarding which elements I liked in each.  These are just my personal opinions.  As always the image and vision is yours.

I also miss the sky background from the first images.  It provided a sense of space.  The rock formations in the final image are a bit confining.

Whatever you decide to do this is an excellent concept and you are doing a great job.

june2016c_d_h.jpg
    2160 x 1840 - 848K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    dHandle said:

This is an Iray render.

You have a great sense of scale and vastness in this image.  The vehicles really help to sell that feeling.

My only suggestion would be to add some smoke/exhaust to the stacks.

Nicely done.

edited June 2016
    dHandle said:

This is an Iray render.

You have a great sense of scale and vastness in this image.  The vehicles really help to sell that feeling.

My only suggestion would be to add some smoke/exhaust to the stacks.

Nicely done.

Absolutely!  Great suggestion.

I know it needs tweaks, but I'm not sure what else to try.  I'm a fan of photorealism, and this looks a little too CG.  It's probably the textures that need some attention.  I will have to think about that...

DesertCombatIRAY2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 674K
  • tcmeehantcmeehan Posts: 20
    edited June 2016

Hi everyone!

I have just gotten started on a new render and I would like everyone's advice.  The render I am trying is a scene.  I'd like to create a rock concert with a band of minotaurs.  I picture the camera being about 6 or 7 rows of people away from the stage so my question revolves around the best way to tackle rendering a big croud.  I purchased the "concert crowd poses for gen2" so I am not worried about posing them, I am worried about render time.  Is there a way to render the croud in small groups and then photoshop them all in to one croud?  I plan to use a little atmosphere to show off the stage lights.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated!  I attached my test render with just the guitarist.  This render took over an hour, that is why I am worried about the render time If I try to do the whole scene at once. Thanks!

bull2.jpg
    689 x 657 - 247K
    Post edited by tcmeehan on
    edited June 2016

Played around with Iray settings.  Seems to have made a big difference!

DesertCombatIRAY3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 651K