JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]

Comments

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,118
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Had to show Jack what his superb moongate is used for....

Shackled and Drawn

Kinky, I like! lol!

edited December 1969

Just wanted to thank you for the drive in. Speaker boxes!!!!! None of the others I have seen show these. Thank you, thank you.

Thanks for the nice comments, you're welcome :)

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    are you implying there is more to come in the Drive-In set? add ons? a concession stand? projection booth? make out poses?

An authentic ground plane? They weren't flat, after all.

I'm not sure why people are thinking the Moonshine stuff is a one-shot deal? :)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,495
    edited December 1969

It's really tricky.. on the run up for the sale everyone was saying 'I hope there's not a theme.. since if I don't like the theme I wont buy'

I would interpret that as "I don't want it to be a theme that I'm not a fan of, then I won't buy".
    I'm not a huge 50s fan (not as big as 30s anyway), but the stuff is too good to turn down, they clothing items yesterday are really good, and the drive in is just great!.

Personally, if it would have been "toon-themed" or "Animé-Manga themed", I would have saved a lot of money, but we're all different and DAZ can't please us all with a consistent theme.

edited December 1969

Kludge said:
    Kludge said:
    That's cool, thought for a moment someone spiked my whiskey ;)

Now would that be a good proper Irish whiskey or that poor imitation the Scots produce? :lol:

Ooh controversial!

I'd just like to say, I don't discriminate against any type of alcoholic beverage (even the ones with the funny umbrellas in them) :)
    The umbrellas are cool after one's had a goodly number of the associated drinks. Not quite as obtrusive as wearing lampshades.

lol - very true.. I guess the glasses stop any eye-gouging too, so you're pretty safe ;)

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Had to show Jack what his superb moongate is used for....

Shackled and Drawn

Kinky, I like! lol!

It was my friend Daniel who said when I made a first version "Why is she holding up her arms, those chains are heavy", I don't wanna know where he got that knowledge ;-)

edited December 1969

Kludge said:
    Kludge said:

Now would that be a good proper Irish whiskey or that poor imitation the Scots produce? :lol:

Ooh controversial!

I'd just like to say, I don't discriminate against any type of alcoholic beverage (even the ones with the funny umbrellas in them) :)

The umbrellas are cool after one's had a goodly number of the associated drinks. Not quite as obtrusive as wearing lampshades.

lol - very true.. I guess the glasses stop any eye-gouging too, so you're pretty safe ;)

The talk of umbrella drinks made me think of this picture:

Finnish umbrella drink ;-)

finsk_paraplydrink.jpg
    600 x 450 - 48K
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

It's really tricky.. on the run up for the sale everyone was saying 'I hope there's not a theme.. since if I don't like the theme I wont buy'

I would interpret that as "I don't want it to be a theme that I'm not a fan of, then I won't buy".
    I'm not a huge 50s fan (not as big as 30s anyway), but the stuff is too good to turn down, they clothing items yesterday are really good, and the drive in is just great!.

Personally, if it would have been "toon-themed" or "Animé-Manga themed", I would have saved a lot of money, but we're all different and DAZ can't please us all with a consistent theme.

Yes, you are correct - I didn't word it as well as you did.

Themes are good, if they are popular. If DAZ come back at the end of the month and say - that went well, more please.. then guess what.. :)

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Kludge said:
    Kludge said:

Ooh controversial!

The talk of umbrella drinks made me think of this picture:

Finnish umbrella drink ;-)

Now that *would* take my eye out lol

edited December 1969

Totte said:

Themes are good, if they are popular. If DAZ come back at the end of the month and say - that went well, more please.. then guess what.. :)

Agree! I also think it's not only the theme itself, but what kind of items you make with it, quality of props, scenery and cloths, and of course versatility, a 50s car and a 50s male clothing can be used rather widely (much like cowboy, 30s), but more narrow themes can be difficult. Btw, Moon Gate must be the most popular PC item for ages, haven't seen so many uses of a single item in the PC weekly contest ever.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Personally I wish they WOULD have more themed sales. Then they could offer a bundle for it and if you have a project, you can go back and buy it all for a block price.

Wouldn't that be nice. *smile*

And for the record, if there is a concession stand.... it MUST have Ju-Ju B's.....

Sorry... gotsta happen.

:)

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Totte said:

Agree! I also think it's not only the theme itself, but what kind of items you make with it, quality of props, scenery and cloths, and of course versatility, a 50s car and a 50s male clothing can be used rather widely (much like cowboy, 30s), but more narrow themes can be difficult. Btw, Moon Gate must be the most popular PC item for ages, haven't seen so many uses of a single item in the PC weekly contest ever.

A little texture addon and oh look, we're in Parkside ;)

• KludgeKludge Posts: 354
    edited October 2012

ROFLMAO! A man who knows! West Park/Parkside is one of my favorite series. No, it is my favorite. So much coolness to play with and mix 'n match and just have a ball with. It's also comparatively easy to customize as needed which just makes it more so coolerer. This is one that has boundless possibilities for any of a number of eras. :-)
    Post edited by Kludge on
    edited December 1969

Kludge said:
    Kludge said:

Ooh controversial!

Well, yeah. But I also remember a few occasions where folks started wearing them over their ears (kind of like the flowers over ears in Hawaii) and in ... ummm ... other places. ;-)

edited December 1969

Kludge said:

ROFLMAO! A man who knows! West Park/Parkside is one of my favorite series. No, it is my favorite. So much coolness to play with and mix 'n match and just have a ball with. It's also comparatively easy to customize as needed which just makes it more so coolerer. This is one that has boundless possibilities for any of a number of eras. :-)

Conversely, a new texture addon and Parkside becomes just a regular town.. there's lots in store for that series, as well as the others I have created (and have yet to start)

edited October 2012

So in summary - don't panic, be patient and enjoy the sale. And while futile, I think they are doing they best to make sure everyone gets something they like.

So it's still possible Stana Katic might show up at my door? ;-)
    Post edited by Kludge on
    edited December 1969

Kludge said:

Conversely, a new texture addon and Parkside becomes just a regular town.. there's lots in store for that series, as well as the others I have created (and have yet to start)
    Yep, kinda what I'm doing to create Parkview. I still need to create exteriors so I can build things like a residential hotel and a regular hotel using West Park and Parkside High as the cores for the interiors but they may come from bitzenpieces of Parkside station retextured.

So much fun, so few pineapples ... :lol:

edited December 1969

Kludge said:
    So in summary - don't panic, be patient and enjoy the sale. And while futile, I think they are doing they best to make sure everyone gets something they like.

You betcha! :smirk:

• GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335
    edited December 1969

Yes, thanks for the Drive In Jack, before when I would use a drive in scene, I had to reformat one from Sketchup into a .obj, which worked of course, but yours is so much easier to work with!

a_little_early00.jpg
    1900 x 839 - 384K
    edited December 1969

Looks good :)

edited December 1969

Kludge said:

You betcha! :smirk:
    Oooh, nifty. I mean, why should Castle (Nathan Fillion) have all the fun? ;-)
    edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Yes, thanks for the Drive In Jack, before when I would use a drive in scene, I had to reformat one from Sketchup into a .obj, which worked of course, but yours is so much easier to work with!

Hmmm ... where'd you get the Chevvie Nomad?
    edited December 1969

You mean like this? Parkside Shanty

parkside_shanty.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 188K
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

You mean like this? Parkside Shanty

ROFL ... Love it madly!

BTW, Vickie's holding her arms up in anticipation of trying to jerk them down against the chains in a vain attempt to get them to break free. Or vent frustration at not being able to do so. ;-)

edited December 1969

Kludge said:

ROFL ... Love it madly!

Thank you :-)

BTW, Vickie's holding her arms up in anticipation of trying to jerk them down against the chains in a vain attempt to get them to break free. Or vent frustration at not being able to do so. ;-)

That's a good reason ...
    edited December 1969

Kludge said:
    betsy662 said:

Hmmm ... where'd you get the Chevvie Nomad?

That one is made by Nationale7, its available at Rendo.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited October 2012

Jack Tomalin - 10 October 2012 12:40 AM

KickAir 8P - 09 October 2012 03:28 PM

Jack Tomalin - 09 October 2012 01:05 PM

Sadly got blown away in the great tornado of ‘53.. very sad indeed :(

Real answer? We had to keep some stuff behind.. didn’t want to put all the eggs in one basket etc… wink

So it’ll show up in an expansion? BTW, is that 50’s diner we keep seeing blurry in the background of the PC promo shots yours? Are we gonna get it this month?

It’s not my place to say when and what stuff will be released. I can say, however, I’ve done several products for the sale - and I assume they will be released throughout the month.

It’s really tricky.. on the run up for the sale everyone was saying ‘I hope there’s not a theme.. since if I don’t like the theme I wont buy’ so I guess DAZ have tried to spread stuff out and mix it up where they can… and now of course people want loads of stuff and they want it NOW!.

I really don’t get it when people say they won’t buy PlatClub stuff in themes they don’t like. Aren’t we all artists here? Aren’t we supposed to be imaginative? I’ve no real use for the 1950’s, but I love the PlatClub’s 1950’s theme for its versatility — jeans and t-shirt have been current wear for decades, I’m extremely happy to see the latest in the PlatClub! Not into carnivals? Those booths work for everything from medieval to flea market — I’ve seen similar in malls. Parkside too creepy? Use some modern furniture, plenty of people live and work in older buildings. (Actually, I’d love to see a set of 1950’s military-standard office furniture, the stuff you see in cold war spy movies — wouldn’t that look great in the Parkside sets?) If they were talking about weeks of flower-fairy skimpwear or psycho-skewed buildings I’d understand the problem, but 1950’s?

I’m really looking forward to that hinted-at diner/kitchen (I’m in two obscure fandoms it’ll be handy for, never mind general usability) so I was put a bit off by the drive-in, which I have no use for whatsoever. But that drive-in has a lovely ticket/concession booth, and a snazzy sign I’ll bet can be reworked (haven’t had time to check, can visibility on the lettering be turned off?), and a couple handy things like fencing and a ground plain. I like it.

Jack Tomalin - 10 October 2012 12:40 AM

KickAir 8P - 09 October 2012 03:28 PM

What’s the historically accurate screen ratio that’s supposed to be projected on that thing? 16:9, or did drive-ins use something else?

Regarding the aspect ratio - here is source of information which might help : http://www.reelclassics.com/Techtalk/aspectratio-article.htm

Hope that helps.

It does, thanks! Wikipedia wasn’t very clear on what I needed, appreciate your help.

Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

I love the 1950's stuff myself, but I also love the 20's and 30's as well, I guess there was some neet things about the 40's too, but the 50's, okay my musical tastes are more into current metal, but hey!

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

slowly but surely it comes to the point my canyon turns out finished :) (the main things, just a bit here and there, but the main thing seems to be near to be finished)

AUTUMN_NEW_DAZ_STUDIO.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 577K
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited December 1969

Sadly got blown away in the great tornado of '53.. very sad indeed :(

Real answer? We had to keep some stuff behind.. didn't want to put all the eggs in one basket etc... ;)

So it'll show up in an expansion? BTW, is that 50's diner we keep seeing blurry in the background of the PC promo shots yours? Are we gonna get it this month?

And here's a question that might actually get answered: What's the historically accurate screen ratio that's supposed to be projected on that thing? 16:9, or did drive-ins use something else?

The oldest movie screens were 4:3. Televisions (once they got out of the experimental stage) copied it, because someone already saw the profit in broadcasting old movies for them. But the '50s got into Cinemascope and other wider screens to try to bring people into the theaters rather than sit and watch old movies on their televisions at home. Not altogether sure whether the drive-ins opted for the old-style or the new aspect ratio when they were built. It may depend on just when the Drive-in was built. But 4:3 is fairly safe, with a wider screen a posibility.

This discussion has been closed.