Get Your Encrypted Daz Connect Content Here Thread - none at the moment 2018-01-30

Comments

• argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757

Have the "will be released unencrypted one year after release" and the poison pill been added in the legalese yet, or are they both still just promises made in the forums?

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,733

Oh my, it's great to see another thread where people don't want DAZ Connect. If we keep it up, DAZ might finally understand Connect is a bad idea. Then maybe they can concentrate on making sense of the mess they made with the way content is organized.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

The organization of new content is fine. Really.

Since about the time of Genesis the folder organization for DazStudio is making sense and is followed (the Poser companion files in the Runtime folders are mostly in the correct folders - just in the beginning of DSON they did not follow the rules).

Older content as usual is up to the buyer to make sense of.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Oh my, it's great to see another thread where people don't want DAZ Connect. If we keep it up, DAZ might finally understand Connect is a bad idea. Then maybe they can concentrate on making sense of the mess they made with the way content is organized.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I consider it unlikely; the items appear to have sold well, if the banner is an indication?

• SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited June 2016
    Connect and encrypted are 2 different things. I won't use either one but you can use Connect without using any encrypted content. In order to use encrypted content yes, you need to use Connect.
    Post edited by SassyWench on
    edited June 2016

The new items were also 66% off, IIRC. The real test will be at full price. Edit: Also, how many returns, support tickets with questions about using DAZ Connect, etc. The recent sales have also been lackluster (at least for me), which could result in increased slaes of new items.

Post edited by argel1200 on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,305
    argel1200 said:

The new items were also 66% off, IIRC. The real test will be at full price. Edit: Also, how many returns, support tickets with questions about using DAZ Connect, etc. The recent sales have also been lackluster (at least for me), which could result in increased slaes of new items.

I also think the gift card promo that required a 5$ new item to trigger an extra 4% off may have helped the sales, since very few new items are just $5 (most are 10+), and these two nicely fitted the bill for that.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    Havos said:
    argel1200 said:

I also think the gift card promo that required a 5$ new item to trigger an extra 4% off may have helped the sales, since very few new items are just $5 (most are 10+), and these two nicely fitted the bill for that.

I was thinking it was odd to have such an amazing gift card sale out of nowhere and for such a short time, but I never even considered how perfectly it'd boost the sales of those two items. That's clever.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305
    lx said:
    Havos said:
    argel1200 said:

I was thinking it was odd to have such an amazing gift card sale out of nowhere and for such a short time, but I never even considered how perfectly it'd boost the sales of those two items. That's clever.

$5 was an interesting point to pick, since it was a good deal cheaper than most new releases, and just too high for the vast majority of PC+ releases. I looked through my wishlist and bought this for my extra 4%

http://www.daz3d.com/deco-lobby

It was 5.99, so one of those rare PC+ items over $5, and it was still marked as new.

Havos said:
    argel1200 said:

Good point; but an unknown sadly.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Kerya said:
    Since about the time of Genesis the folder organization for DazStudio is making sense and is followed (the Poser companion files in the Runtime folders are mostly in the correct folders - just in the beginning of DSON they did not follow the rules).

Mostly true (at last!) for recent figure/character/clothes items, but I keep buying new things like prop sets or landscapes/buildings where there are separate Scenes root folders, poses in various People subfolders, and many cases of two or more "officially right" places to put things. It's a lot better than it used to be, but very definitely still a work in progress, in cases where a good argument can be made for collecting everything in one folder.

Kerya said:

Mostly true (at last!) for recent figure/character/clothes items, but I keep buying new things like prop sets or landscapes/buildings where there are separate Scenes root folders, poses in various People subfolders, and many cases of two or more "officially right" places to put things. It's a lot better than it used to be, but very definitely still a work in progress, in cases where a good argument can be made for collecting everything in one folder.

Not really a good argument since it puts them into one folder with the same organisation system that's now locked in place - unless you create links for each thing which you could already do with categories - and now your physical files are in a pile of unrecognisable numbered folders. I've yet to see any organisational upsides to Connect, but multiple downsides. The only real upside to me is the ability to more clearly see all your owned content that isn't downloaded, but that doesn't really offer anything for people who download all their content and may just not have installed it (and constantly redownloading content means more bandwidth which is worth a lot more than disk space.)

I'm not that bothered about encrypted content, but I really don't want to use anything that requires Connect.

The organization is NOT fine. I wonder if you even look at your stuff?! Every time DAZ changed the way they organized something, they didn't bother to go back and reorganize the older stuff. 

Every time I go back to using DIM's installed stuff, I can't find something.

The combination of sales/promtions I am just not interested in plus DRM rearing its ugly head again was enough for me to pass on the gift card deal. Jumping through hoops to get a better discount didn't help either, especially with nothing of interest to purchase. I can't recall the last time DAZ had such a lackluster (for me) run of promotions. Usually it's a day, worst case 2 (especially over a weekend) at most, but I think it's going on 4 days now.

• Nester751Nester751 Posts: 363

I agree Ron. I was going to ask if anyone's got a script that will go and relocate old D/S content to the new D/S pathways. Seems like it would be a good idea. I know D3d might have something similar.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited June 2016

The organization is NOT fine. I wonder if you even look at your stuff?! Every time DAZ changed the way they organized something, they didn't bother to go back and reorganize the older stuff. 

Every time I go back to using DIM's installed stuff, I can't find something.

No - they didn't reorganize older stuff.

Why should they? It will not generate more income - and this is a shop/company.

I don't install with DIM. I do download with DIM because 1. it gives me faster download speeds and 2. it gives me announcements of updates.

After downloading I do unzip into a temporary folder and then I am looking at folder structure/folder names and sort/rename to my liking.

Could we go back to the idea of the thread and only give headups about new encrypted content?

I am worrying somebody will shut this thread down if we derail it too far ...

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited June 2016

When DAZ announced Connect, they mentioned the number one complaint was from people who couldn't find their content. Yet they fail to fix the problem. Why would DAZ go back and fix their mistakes?! Customer Service!

I'm glad you manually install your stuff, just like me.

Post edited by Ron Knights on
  • Connect makes it possible to help users to fidn content because the base files won't be moved, it's people customising their content locations in response to web advice that most often created the issues in the first place. There's a difference between not being able to find or use the content because a file has been misplaced and not knowing where to find the file in its correct location, which is readily addressable.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587

Nope, I like Daz Connect because it saves me money. I figure I won't buy anything that is encrypted. Which turned out to be a lie! Sneaky, Daz had a promotion that made me buy a encrypted item that I have not installed to get the discount on the things I wanted to buy that were not encrypted (The deal was too good). Never say never, I guess in a year I'll finally download it after it is DE-encrypted. I went ahead and downloaded and installed 4.9 but am not using Daz Connect. Wow, how annoying is the sign in everytime I start the program. I don't have encrypted items so why make me sign in? I have noticed that it is faster in renders but it is dog slow when adding too many items to a scene. I should also say my computer is not wimp. I have Win7pro 64, i7 intel 6core, 64gigs of ram and 3 6gb Nvidia 780's doing my renders so it must be the inclusion of Connect and Encrytion that is slowing things down. I'm in no rush to reinstall 4.8 because I'm playing on Steam and am on break from rendering stuff but if this does not get fixed I will go back to 4.8. 

•  I went ahead and downloaded and installed 4.9 but am not using Daz Connect. Wow, how annoying is the sign in everytime I start the program. I don't have encrypted items so why make me sign in?

You can choose to work offline if you don't want to sign in. if you won't usually want to sign in you can use the option at bottom left not to show the prompt at launch (it can be restored from Preferences, or you can Connect from the Connect menu or the button on the Smart Content pane at any time if you wish).

I was manually installing my content for over a decade before DIM, and DAZ Connect. Why do I want to give up over a decade of hard work?! Maybe I wanted to see if DAZ had finally made things easier for me.

I was willing to try DIM. I did. It would be much easier if DAZ saw the light and finally organized stuff. So far all I get is denial & attitude.

Connect makes it possible to help users to fidn content because the base files won't be moved, it's people customising their content locations in response to web advice that most often created the issues in the first place. There's a difference between not being able to find or use the content because a file has been misplaced and not knowing where to find the file in its correct location, which is readily addressable.

That doesn't make sense; those that start customising it should have a clue what they attempting to customise, if not then then Connect won't help. After all putting random links in illogical places will result in a mess. And then there are the frequent posts of folks having issues.

And Connect was for new users who couldn't find where Daz put it; Connect doesn't solve that, as it is in the same place; it's where Daz deemed it should be, and only in that place. Users have to learn how to use Daz to figure out a system that works for them; Connect seems to limit what folks can do. But my issue with Connect is DRM, I'd likely check it out if it hadn't got a DRM component.

• nicstt said:

Connect makes it possible to help users to fidn content because the base files won't be moved, it's people customising their content locations in response to web advice that most often created the issues in the first place. There's a difference between not being able to find or use the content because a file has been misplaced and not knowing where to find the file in its correct location, which is readily addressable.

That doesn't make sense; those that start customising it should have a clue what they attempting to customise, if not then then Connect won't help. After all putting random links in illogical places will result in a mess. And then there are the frequent posts of folks having issues.

And Connect was for new users who couldn't find where Daz put it; Connect doesn't solve that, as it is in the same place; it's where Daz deemed it should be, and only in that place. Users have to learn how to use Daz to figure out a system that works for them; Connect seems to limit what folks can do. But my issue with Connect is DRM, I'd likely check it out if it hadn't got a DRM component.

No, it is clear from the forums that people often try moving stuff around before they understand what can and can't be moved.

nicstt said:

No, it is clear from the forums that people often try moving stuff around before they understand what can and can't be moved.

Yup and breaking Daz is the best way of learning; I tried a few things and had to reinstall a time or two; or it was easier to reinstall than try and fix it.

Connect is you attempt to stop that? Doesn't make sense; and it judging from the posts I see, hasn't solved the problem.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Kerya said:
    Could we go back to the idea of the thread and only give headups about new encrypted content?

+1

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354
    tigerste said:

The only thing that I'd have been interested in are the new morph tools released with 4.9.2

That's why I forced myself to learn 3D sculpting programs a couple of years ago.  There are expensive ones and free ones, and with a bit or reading you can make your own morphs that can be used in Studio (just don't get me started on the artificial limits they imposed on HD morphs coming back into DS).  With something like Sculptris (free) or ZBrush ($$$) you just sculpt your morph and go. No 4.9.2 necessary.  Also, there are now too many freaking shaping dials in Studio.  It's nice to have the ability natively to shape like that, but by the time I figure out which dial does what I want it to do, I could do it in a sculpting program much faster.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited June 2016

No it could certainly use a clean up, some of it...

g3-morphs.jpg
    213 x 1007 - 38K
    Post edited by Taoz on

I agree. Now I'm going to bow out of this thread, politely. 

• Taozen said:

No it could certainly use a clean up, some of it...

Why should they have to support 2 versions of the installer; one for Poser users and one for DAZ Studio.

Kerya said:

(I agree with a lot of the things people are saying, but there are other threads for it that aren't this one.)