June 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Scenes and Landscapes” – WIP Thread

Comments

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,647

I am looking for advise here on my WIP on which one is the better one and about the posing for each and such like ligting and shadows etc......Using Daz Studio 3Delight and some postwork in PSP9.

Beauty on the Outside1.jpg
    1500 x 927 - 515K
    Beauty on the Outside 2.jpg
    1500 x 927 - 427K
    Beauty on the Outside 3.jpg
    1500 x 927 - 426K
  • ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180

I am looking for advise here on my WIP on which one is the better one and about the posing for each and such like ligting and shadows etc......Using Daz Studio 3Delight and some postwork in PSP9.

A couple of observations that I hope you find helpful.

Both actors appear to be hissing, growling or just baring their teeth. Usually done to intimidate someone/thing. So, in that sense renders 2 and 3 show the target of this intimidation. Render 3 shows the actor on the rock with the raised hand towards the threat and is facing the threat. The actor on the ground isn't facing the threat in any, but closer in render 2.

In all the actors seem to more casually annoyed with the dragon - the actor on the rock is still lounging and the one on the ground still maintains a crouch. They aren't surprised or terrified or pulling back from danger. Which may be where you are going with this - the dragon could be like some annoying pet (which could be funny) so they wouldn't be afraid, just pissed about something. Maybe a collar or leash could convey that thought. I'm not sure what the story is here so I suspect my speculation is way off..

The grass at the base of the rock is sticking up through the top of the rock - a little scaling or movement should take care of that. Also, where the large rock touches the ground, there is a straight line - especially highlighted with the black outline. If you can break that up somewhat, it will look a little more natural.

Interesting that you've set it up in a comic book style. Could be a pretty cool look when you are done.

Well, I don't think I've been too helpful, but hopefully there's something useful in this. Remember too, this is a scenes and landscape challenge and the dominant element in your render is a large rock. Play with the textures, add elements to break up lines, little critters peaking out from hiding places, etc. to make it more interesting and alive.

• dracorn said:

Here's version e. I moved the Falcon atleast twice as far out from were she had been so she wasn't filling the window we were seeing her though.

Here's an idea:

We all know what kind of trouble the Falcon and her captain get into.  How about those three ships to the right engaged in battle with the Falcon?  You can have some fun with post work here - blaster fire, a ship careening off towards to impact into the mountains, blowing up, etc.

This will make the story complete.  Then we will know that Han and Chewie had blasted the alien who is now lying on the floor and are making their escape followed by some angry buddies of the slain alien. 

Oh, by the way, the outpost is too neat and orderly.  Knock over a couple of chairs. If you can post work a couple of smoldering blaster holes in the wall, that will add to the chaos of the interior.  Maybe display some flames licking in from the side.  Han and Chewie rarely leave a place without a lot of damage.

Here's version f. Got back to it late last night so I let it run over night..

june2016f.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 654K
    edited June 2016
    ewcarman said:

Both actors appear to be hissing, growling or just baring their teeth. Usually done to intimidate someone/thing. So, in that sense renders 2 and 3 show the target of this intimidation. Render 3 shows the actor on the rock with the raised hand towards the threat and is facing the threat. The actor on the ground isn't facing the threat in any, but closer in render 2.

In all the actors seem to more casually annoyed with the dragon - the actor on the rock is still lounging and the one on the ground still maintains a crouch. They aren't surprised or terrified or pulling back from danger. Which may be where you are going with this - the dragon could be like some annoying pet (which could be funny) so they wouldn't be afraid, just pissed about something. Maybe a collar or leash could convey that thought. I'm not sure what the story is here so I suspect my speculation is way off..

The grass at the base of the rock is sticking up through the top of the rock - a little scaling or movement should take care of that. Also, where the large rock touches the ground, there is a straight line - especially highlighted with the black outline. If you can break that up somewhat, it will look a little more natural.

Interesting that you've set it up in a comic book style. Could be a pretty cool look when you are done.

Well, I don't think I've been too helpful, but hopefully there's something useful in this. Remember too, this is a scenes and landscape challenge and the dominant element in your render is a large rock. Play with the textures, add elements to break up lines, little critters peaking out from hiding places, etc. to make it more interesting and alive.

I was going for the anoying pet thing you were talking about I wanted to make this a funny render like bad acting scene sorta deal. I do have to work more so on the background with liven it up some more was going to go with little tiny dragons instead of bugs. I am going to have to go back and think some more about what I want in this one I guess. I know I need so much more for the background but I do not have any country like scenes yet so I guess I am going to have to hunt down some hopefully can get for free :D

Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    dracorn said:

Here's version e. I moved the Falcon atleast twice as far out from were she had been so she wasn't filling the window we were seeing her though.

Here's an idea:

We all know what kind of trouble the Falcon and her captain get into.  How about those three ships to the right engaged in battle with the Falcon?  You can have some fun with post work here - blaster fire, a ship careening off towards to impact into the mountains, blowing up, etc.

This will make the story complete.  Then we will know that Han and Chewie had blasted the alien who is now lying on the floor and are making their escape followed by some angry buddies of the slain alien. 

Oh, by the way, the outpost is too neat and orderly.  Knock over a couple of chairs. If you can post work a couple of smoldering blaster holes in the wall, that will add to the chaos of the interior.  Maybe display some flames licking in from the side.  Han and Chewie rarely leave a place without a lot of damage.

Here's version f. Got back to it late last night so I let it run over night..

There we go.  I like the addition of the fire and especially the gun in the dead alien's hand.  I see why you removed the chairs all together - maybe show one turned over.  It's defiantely moving along in the right direction.

ewcarman said:

I was going for the anoying pet thing you were talking about I wanted to make this a funny render like bad acting scene sorta deal. I do have to work more so on the background with liven it up some more was going to go with little tiny dragons instead of bugs. I am going to have to go back and think some more about what I want in this one I guess. I know I need so much more for the background but I do not have any country like scenes yet so I guess I am going to have to hunt down some hopefully can get for free :D

I like the idea of tiny bug-dragons and would like to see you do that.

edited June 2016

Here's the next character, pre-posed.

He's Sebastian out of the box with Frazier Hair and wearing M5 Casual Male.  The guitar is from Summer of '76.

Guitar Player.jpg
    600 x 600 - 70K
    Post edited by dracorn on
    edited June 2016

Here's my next character.  I used Jennie (Belle 6), Kaiko Ponytail, V5 Summer Set, Bicycle from Spring of '76, Heart Jewelry, Cogs for G2F, some shader replacements and a free iPhone (don't you wish) from TF3DM.com.

I have been posing them separately from the scene and then saving them as scene subsets - it's so much easier that way.

Girl on Bike.jpg
    600 x 600 - 56K
    Girl on Bike 2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 54K
    edited June 2016

Here's yet another character.  I have been busy today.

Modern Girl.jpg
    500 x 700 - 42K
    Modern Girl 2.jpg
    500 x 700 - 280K
    edited June 2016

Finally, here is my scene with everybody in it.  Still needs lots of work with the lighting, atmospheric cameras to recede the city, and flying bread crumbs.  I could try to Photoshop that in, but I would rather have some models.  I have random piles of pebbles which I picked up from ex-Runtime DNA, and I can always shrink a few pebbles for the flying crumbs.  Too bad I don't have a bread crumb shader.  Looks like I'm going to need to improvise.

I had set a dual-toned shader for the bike, purple and yellow.  Seems the purple washed out. Strange.

I'm thinking about adding a jogger pausing to take a drink out of a water bottle in the background, and maybe some planters with some threes - not too tall though 'cause I don't want to hide the city. 

Afternoon Routine 01.jpg
    850 x 500 - 297K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    dracorn said:

Finally, here is my scene with everybody in it.  Still needs lots of work with the lighting, atmospheric cameras to recede the city, and flying bread crumbs.  I could try to Photoshop that in, but I would rather have some models.  I have random piles of pebbles which I picked up from ex-Runtime DNA, and I can always shrink a few pebbles for the flying crumbs.  Too bad I don't have a bread crumb shader.  Looks like I'm going to need to improvise.

I had set a dual-toned shader for the bike, purple and yellow.  Seems the purple washed out. Strange.

I'm thinking about adding a jogger pausing to take a drink out of a water bottle in the background, and maybe some planters with some threes - not too tall though 'cause I don't want to hide the city. 

Very nice improvement dracorn! I would suggest to add some light to the people in the front and maybe some haze to the distant buildings. I think it's not really necessary to add more poeple, might turn out crowded. speking of crows where did you get the magpie from?

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Linwelly said:
    dracorn said:

Very nice improvement dracorn! I would suggest to add some light to the people in the front and maybe some haze to the distant buildings. I think it's not really necessary to add more poeple, might turn out crowded. speking of crows where did you get the magpie from?

Looks great Dracorn.  The only suggestion I can add is your guitarist needs a hat or a guitar case to collect money.

Thanks Linwelly and Kismet2012.  Yes, I certainly need better lighting.  This was my last, bleary-eyed, render for the night and I wanted to put it out there.  I plan on using AoA's Atmospheric cameras for the city haze.  The sky and initial lighting are from Skies of Economy (this is a 3DL render).  Even though it is cloudy, I need to bring up the ambient light and maybe experiment with the sunlight angle so the old man isn't in the shadows so much.  Also the shelter seems a little flat in the shadows. 

And, yes, I do have a guitar case but didn't put it in yet, thank you.

The magpies are Noggin's Poser Crow.  I had recently picked up lots of birds from Hivewire, and there isn't a pigeon among them.  Noggins had more poses as well.  I had used as many as would work, duplicated several birds and modified the poses a little, as well as turning them in different angles so repetition isn't noticeable.  However, I do see now some similar poses that are too close together.  I will have to modify those.

I was also thinking about adding a planter or two with a small tree or flowers along the wall, and a misplaced bottle next to the trash can.  The walkway is far too tidy for a city. 

Anybody know where I can find some crumpled paper?

Adam Thwaites has a pidgeon but I believe it is a static prop...no morphs:  http://www.most-digital-creations.com/pidgeon.htm

Still looking around for crumpled paper but an option might be to take a plane and use dformers.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Adam Thwaites has a pidgeon but I believe it is a static prop...no morphs:  http://www.most-digital-creations.com/pidgeon.htm

Still looking around for crumpled paper but an option might be to take a plane and use dformers.

Yes the pidgon is one pose only, no possibility to move the wings.

As for dirt, this one has some urban dirt http://www.daz3d.com/urban-backstreet, ; and this one as well  http://www.daz3d.com/junk-alley but I think to remember it loads all together. There is probably something to get on sharecg as well.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190
    Mendoman said:

Hello all, here's my this month's first draft. It's a sunrise from our summer cottage

wonderful...i can practically smell the lake water.  :)

wish i were there. 

Savej

• ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    dracorn said:

Anybody know where I can find some crumpled paper?

Predatron has some crumpled paper and paper scattered over the floor here: http://www.daz3d.com/99-daz-studio-props-the-office

I've used set of props for a lot of things.

edited June 2016

Dracorn hun all I can say is wow wow wow your charactors are always amazing and them in the scene is just the piece to restance (Trying to be french) lol!!

Edited to add a PS: I would leave it as the Magpies they seem to add something different to the picture...not so hum drum.

Post edited by Saphirewild on
    jardine said:
    Mendoman said:

Hello all, here's my this month's first draft. It's a sunrise from our summer cottage

wonderful...i can practically smell the lake water.  :)

wish i were there. 

Savej

Holy Cow!  You sure this isn't a photo?  Great job!

Dracorn hun all I can say is wow wow wow your charactors are always amazing and them in the scene is just the piece to restance (Trying to be french) lol!!

Edited to add a PS: I would leave it as the Magpies they seem to add something different to the picture...not so hum drum.

Don't worry - I like the magpies.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Hey guys, images look great so far.  I have a landscape I'm working on, but got distracted by a couple of other DS projects that have to take priority so I don't know if I'll get an entry in this month.  Time will tell.  So far, though, I'm liking the images that I've seen so far.  

Shinji - Just curious why you got rid of all the chairs?  I kind of like Dracorn's idea of tipping a few over to give a more chaotic after effect of something having happened with the dead body.  I'm just curious what your thought process is.  I like the image so far.

Dracorn - very nice! Yeah, lighting needs some work and I like Kismet's idea of something for the guitarist to collect money.  Might I suggest, if you are going to have all those birds on the ground looking like they are after the motherload of abandoned scraps, that maybe you should see about giving the poor birds some kind of food?  They might appreciate it!  wink  I really like how it is coming along!

Mendoman - that is already an awesome landscape, very tranquil and relaxing.  

Saphirewild - I like the last two images, but I think you might consider combining the pose of the model on to of the rock in the last image with the pose of the lady on the ground in the second image and see how you like them.  If you decide to keep the lady on the ground how she is in the third image, you might want to double check her wrist of the top hand as it looks like it is clipping into the wrist of the bottom hand.  I have to be honest, I played around with those last two images a little because if you load them both up in separate tabs and the switch back and forth between them really quickly, they are almost animated!  The poses are so close on the two ladys that you kind of have a little animation going on there when flipping back and forth between the two.  Yeah, I know, I'm weird and sometimes it takes very little to distract me when I can't do anything in DS because it's tied up with a render! :)

Even if I don't manage to get an entry together, I'm still around watching you guys!  You're doing good so far!

Saphirewild - I like the last two images, but I think you might consider combining the pose of the model on to of the rock in the last image with the pose of the lady on the ground in the second image and see how you like them.  If you decide to keep the lady on the ground how she is in the third image, you might want to double check her wrist of the top hand as it looks like it is clipping into the wrist of the bottom hand.  I have to be honest, I played around with those last two images a little because if you load them both up in separate tabs and the switch back and forth between them really quickly, they are almost animated!  The poses are so close on the two ladys that you kind of have a little animation going on there when flipping back and forth between the two.  Yeah, I know, I'm weird and sometimes it takes very little to distract me when I can't do anything in DS because it's tied up with a render! :)

Even if I don't manage to get an entry together, I'm still around watching you guys!  You're doing good so far!

Hey tere Knitting I never even knew that it was looking like an animation smiles, But I am going to take your suggestion and work on both their poses a bit more to look more anoyed then scared. I am weird as well Knitting and very easy to distract as well. Right now I have a render rocking out for another project I am also working on as well, so I am going to have to wait for it to finish before I can work on this project!!!

• Here's a screenshot of what I found when I selected on of those chairs, They're actualy bones of the tables, so I hid them for now, while I look to see what I have in my runtime that I could knock around.

Here's a screenshot of what I found when I selected on of those chairs, They're actualy bones of the tables, so I hid them for now, while I look to see what I have in my runtime that I could knock around.

Can they be rotated?  Even if you change the angles of some they won't look so perfectly set up.

Maybe add some grunge or blaster marks?

• Here's a screenshot of what I found when I selected on of those chairs, They're actualy bones of the tables, so I hid them for now, while I look to see what I have in my runtime that I could knock around.

Can they be rotated?  Even if you change the angles of some they won't look so perfectly set up.

they can be rotated on the y-axis, as well as raised or lowered. There's nothing for the x-axis or z-axis, so no putting them flat on the ground. The table and chairs only have two material zones, on for the metal, and one for the chair lether. So I guess I'll go back in and turn the visibilty back on and go about turning the dang things, as well as change how high some of them are.

Here's a screenshot of what I found when I selected on of those chairs, They're actualy bones of the tables, so I hid them for now, while I look to see what I have in my runtime that I could knock around.

they can be rotated on the y-axis, as well as raised or lowered. There's nothing for the x-axis or z-axis, so no putting them flat on the ground. The table and chairs only have two material zones, on for the metal, and one for the chair lether. So I guess I'll go back in and turn the visibilty back on and go about turning the dang things, as well as change how high some of them are.

The Geometry Editor might help with changing the material zones.  Totte has a tutorial in Issue 14 of DS Creative Magazine on page 36 on how to use the Geometry Editor that may help.

edited June 2016

Here's is the next version.  I added a few objects - some trash (I found a wastepaper basket which had crumpled paper in it), and the guitar case.  Too bad you can't see the money in it from this angle (Free Money from Share CG - has morphable bills).

I also increased the light and changed its angle and reduced the shadow softness.  That's a good start.  I'll play around with it a little more.

I moved some of the birds around and changed some poses so that the duplication is less evident. 

The trash to the left of the woman's feet has to go.  I don't like it there, especially the one that is defying gravity.

I tried little pebbles as bread crumbs, but no matter what shader or texture I applied, they still looked like rocks.  Next I tried using some of the little cakes from A Curious Tea - Eat Me, but again, couldn't find a shader that looked like bread.  But also, the individual pieces took more time than I would like to render, and I didn't want an abundance of bread crumbs to slow down the render.  Looks like I'll have to Photoshop the crumbs in.  Maybe I can put a colored pebble in some of the birds' beaks, we'll see.

The city haze will wait until the end.

Afternoon Routine 2.jpg
    850 x 500 - 346K
  • I've had good luck making fake bread-crumbs by taking a photo of a piece of bread and applying it as a texture to various pre-existing rocks and pebbles.

I've had good luck making fake bread-crumbs by taking a photo of a piece of bread and applying it as a texture to various pre-existing rocks and pebbles.

Instancing might also help cut down on the resources being used.  I haven't tried it myself but it's a thought.

Primitives with a bread texture as suggested by @VortigensBane might also work.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

@Dracorn If you want to show a little money, you could maybe stick a slightly crumpled up note on the lip of the guitar case top as if someone threw money in and it missed a bit,  Just a thought.  As for the crumbs, do you happen to have Predaton's Gingerbread Man?  He did a really interesting thing with his Gingerbread Man in that he had a crumbs plane that looked really good.  I wonder if you could do something similar with some pictures of breadcrumbs or something and put those on a plane under the birds?  Another thought, Traveler has a Scattered Litter Series and there are two Pebbles ones which would make some realistic crumbs with a bread texture on them if they were scaled down some.  Just a thought and it might give you some ideas.  I don't like buying something just for a particular render unless it's really cheap.  If you go the scattered pebbles route, at least they start out cheap and they are on sale at the moment.  But at least looking at these two might give you some ideas.  And pictures of bread crumbs would be easy and cheap to do yourself if you decide to go that route and make your own plane which I think would be the cheapest and easiest thing to do.  And, all it would cost is the price of some breadcrumbs which, I think, most people have in their pantries already.  And, if they don't, they should! :)