Redacted

cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
edited December 2022 in The Commons

​Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on

Comments

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

And here I always thought skimpy armor was used as a distraction strategy.
    How is a guy suppose to concentrate on her sword swinging at him when he's too busy staring at something else? :gulp:

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Hell, some of the fiercest fighters, throughout history chucked armor to the side and fought naked...the Spartans, Celtic/Germanic berserkers, elite Incan warriors (jaguar skin doesn't really count as armor) and so on...

It's a fine tradition.

Too bad most females encountered in such scenarios though, really could use fully covering armor, including a closed helm...not that that particular one shown in the promo should...but, I'm just saying, most of the would even put off a troll.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Mr Leong said:
    How is a guy suppose to concentrate on her sword swinging at him when he's too busy staring at something else? :gulp:

Like trying to cover up his other sword.

edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    During last PC sale and MM I remember many people complaining about the amount of skimpwear (I didn't tell them to go complain elsewhere but that's beside the point of this post).

Hats off to Val and Lesthat for this description

After all, full-coverage armor is really only for those who don't know how to fight.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/fast-grab-3d-models/the-sentry

That made my day and was so funny I forgot how poorly this PC sale started. Love ya's!

I just purchased that btw, before I read this post. Yeah shoot me, I love the skimpwear.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2012

I think she's still got too much armor. ;-P

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Hell, some of the fiercest fighters, throughout history chucked armor to the side and fought naked...the Spartans, Celtic/Germanic berserkers, elite Incan warriors (jaguar skin doesn't really count as armor) and so on...

It's a fine tradition.

Too bad most females encountered in such scenarios though, really could use fully covering armor, including a closed helm...not that that particular one shown in the promo should...but, I'm just saying, most of the would even put off a troll.

Thank goodness that tradition was lost in time when I was into street fighting back in my late teens.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    I think she's still got too much armor. ;-P

Hear hear!

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

​Redacted

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    Mr Leong said:

Oh, heavens no . . . . turn abouts fair play.
    His other sword is suppose to distract her. :lol:

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Mr Leong said:
    Ledhead said:
    Mr Leong said:

Oh, heavens no . . . . turn abouts fair play.
    His other sword is suppose to distract her. :lol:

If you truly value that sword...NEVER expose it within striking distance of an irate female wielding a blade of her own...

A line from Mel Brook's History of the World comes to mind.

edited May 2022

​Redacted

• KinichKinich Posts: 853
    edited December 1969

Something I cooked up for the PC sales back in 2010, to drum up some votes.

Thought it rather fitted in here :)

(Rendered in Lux via Reality)

Sentry-A-Reality.jpg
    1000 x 1414 - 346K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i like the strappy-buckly outfits, extra specially in a mankini :lol:

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

Best skimpware defense? Magic elf armor...

If it's really powerful, it can protect you even if it's just a string around the waist. (I take it they have a different sense of style though).

Of course full body metal armor is only any good, with a hulk horse, and a gang of maneuverable fighters around you.

Otherwise, you're a sardine can on the ground, as soon as you start.

One of them has to help you off the horse, so you can pee... unless you're gross.

So, I dunno, chain mail vest isn't too bad, especially if you don't weigh it down with breast plates. :)

Of course to make it fun for guys to watch, it'll probably pinch her on a couple of bits she doesn't want to have pinched... by metal...

So she'll probably put something underneath it, like guys do. And then it's not skimpware.

Oh, hey, ok, that's what we're talking about. That's pretty funny. :) I should've read that first.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Haven't tried full plate but I have used mail and leather. When going up against an opponent who is larger with a longer reach (which is just about everyone I go up against), I prefer to have as much of me covered as possible.

In the places like Iraq and Afghanistan: Kevlar. Don't go anywhere without it.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

Red Sonja has actually explained early on in her comic that she wears what she does to distract men. For my own skimpwear-wearing fantasy character (Smacky), I just wrote that her sister trained her to focus on avoiding attacks altogether (to avoid injury but also so she can wear whatever she likes). :) So yes, "After all, full-coverage armor is really only for those who don’t know how to fight." is a great line, reminiscent of Mr. Miyagi's "best block, no be there".

Hooray for fantasy skimpywear!

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

*I should probably stay out of this but I can't leave things well enough alone*
    I'm pretty sure it comes down to 3 things as far as complaints are concerned:

1) Abundance. Essentially the "we've got 30 stringy things yet we still don't have a decent jacket" argument. This is a gap that's been getting filled but there's a fair bit of frustration of new items and nothing that different in the pipeline.
    2) Outfit quirks. Some outfits...just look gaudy. Sometimes there's a really cool outfit with that one thing that doesn't make sense. For an example, Surian Priestess 2 looks like it would work great for something Mortal Kombat-esque but then it comes with those ridiculous shoes. I certainly don't want to pick at Val3dArt since Yoshiko is an awesome outfit that works at being sexy and yet looking like a fighting outfit. Which leads to...
    3) The "fighter"/model. A lot of them used to display the outfit tend to not look like they could fight their way out of a wet paper bag. One of the things I like about Smacky is that she's at least slightly toned and most of her art is actually fighting.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

Sometimes there’s a really cool outfit with that one thing that doesn’t make sense.

Yep, this is really true. Even the Sentry, which the original poster referenced, has nicely-made but completely ridiculous shoes. I honestly don't remember Surian Priestess' shoes being that bad, aren't they basically open-toed sandals?

One of the things I like about Smacky is that she’s at least slightly toned and most of her art is actually fighting.

Thank you very much. :) I know her outfit is silly too, but what's obvious is also the truth - you're going to get far more people to look at a fantasy woman in a tiny outfit than one in realistic armor. You're also almost certainly going to sell more tiny outfits than realistic ones, hence the flood that you mentioned.

edited December 1969

Sometimes there’s a really cool outfit with that one thing that doesn’t make sense.

Yep, this is really true. Even the Sentry, which the original poster referenced, has nicely-made but completely ridiculous shoes. I honestly don't remember Surian Priestess' shoes being that bad, aren't they basically open-toed sandals?

The original looks like she's barefoot. In the followup version...

One of the things I like about Smacky is that she’s at least slightly toned and most of her art is actually fighting.

Thank you very much. :) I know her outfit is silly too, but what's obvious is also the truth - you're going to get far more people to look at a fantasy woman in a tiny outfit than one in realistic armor. You're also almost certainly going to sell more tiny outfits than realistic ones, hence the flood that you mentioned.

Not all silly skimpy outfits are bad. While I'll admit to being the nitpicky analyst guy at times, I've certainly done pinup renders before and it seems like there is (or ought to be) an invisible threshold somewhere. And maybe it might come down to just adding a few action oriented images to the promos instead of just pinups. I mean this and this ought to occupy their own different niches of awesome and sexy (even the full armor).

edited May 2022

​Redacted

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited December 1969

I sometimes feel a bit saturated by the skimpy stuff. I know there is a big market for it, but I just can't use outfits like this that much, so I guess I'm not the target audience. =-)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,512
    edited December 1969

I sometimes feel a bit saturated by the skimpy stuff. I know there is a big market for it, but I just can't use outfits like this that much, so I guess I'm not the target audience. =-)

Fortunately for me, I am the target audience, LOL.

That being said, I find the available 3D skimpy outfits rather redundant and usually lacking in creativity or any real world or 3D common sense. Any top or dress that covers the breasts across the middle is really hard to get realistic looking (unless dynamic) when using custom morphs, WW, morphing clothes or even autofit and genesis because of the lack of spandex morphs, yet vendors keep producing these exact types of outfits instead of having any insight or creativity. There are plenty of styles that have never been done. I know lots of dancers, my GF used to be one and there are places online and stores we shop at with lots of these styles.

To the person that rarely uses these kinds of outfits in 3D it may seem like an over abundance, but for someone that actively looks for unique and specific styles with quality mesh in this area, the pickings are kinda slim.

edited December 1969

I'd argue FSMCDesigns that you do a good job of showing how neither side is really winning since even those who are the target audience aren't being provided for. And I find "target audience" interesting since it seems like some spot in the middle might appeal to both sides if there's some smart material zone setups. It shouldn't be full binary on who an outfit works for.

edited May 2022

​Redacted

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,123
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Yep, but consider that every one of them is dead! 8-o

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Yep, but consider that every one of them is dead! 8-o

But at least they died proudly fighting other naked men.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    I'd argue FSMCDesigns that you do a good job of showing how neither side is really winning since even those who are the target audience aren't being provided for. And I find "target audience" interesting since it seems like some spot in the middle might appeal to both sides if there's some smart material zone setups. It shouldn't be full binary on who an outfit works for.

I agree. That was a good post.

Perhaps if having more than one texture, or more complex meshes is the answer. You know, instead of bare cleavage down to the navel, and holes in strange places to show off maximum skin, if those outfits also had a version where the holes were say repaired, and the blouse zipped up and the whole shebang had some layers. I dont' care if the primary version is skimpwear- I just would like there to be something useful for me too.

(Poor Michael. No one at all complaining about the surfeit of skimpwear for him. He's lucky to get a swimsuit and a surf outfit!) Heh!

edited May 2022

​Redacted

edited December 1969

Perhaps if having more than one texture, or more complex meshes is the answer. You know, instead of bare cleavage down to the navel, and holes in strange places to show off maximum skin, if those outfits also had a version where the holes were say repaired, and the blouse zipped up and the whole shebang had some layers. I dont' care if the primary version is skimpwear- I just would like there to be something useful for me too.

To my understanding it's the reverse--make a full/modest outfit and then create the material zones in such a way that you can creatively poke holes in it. It gets interesting when you look at preview pages for a full product that does this well since it shows off the range of possibilities on both ends of the spectrum.

edited December 1969

Well, here's an interesting proof of concept that decided to present itself: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/la-robe-de-gala/72815
    Casual shirt and a bra/halter top thing presented in the main promo image. The actual product is a dress. Simple material zones more or less created 3 different things to use ranging within the covered and skimpy spectrum. Granted this is V4 rather than Genesis but the actual example is still perfectly sound.