June 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Scenes and Landscapes” – WIP Thread

Comments

• tcmeehantcmeehan Posts: 20
    tcmeehan said:

Hi everyone!

Everyone's image looks great this month and its only the 6th!  can't wait to see them by the end of the month.

The render I started for this month I want to call 'Coming Home'.  I plan to add a  boat and a viking to the foreground.  Which property of my skydome would I adjust to get a little more light into my scene?  i don't want to change how bright the background is, only lighten up my objects.

All input is wecome!

Thanks!

Are you using 3Delight or Iray?

I am using Iray for this one

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    tcmeehan said:
    tcmeehan said:

Hi everyone!

Everyone's image looks great this month and its only the 6th!  can't wait to see them by the end of the month.

The render I started for this month I want to call 'Coming Home'.  I plan to add a  boat and a viking to the foreground.  Which property of my skydome would I adjust to get a little more light into my scene?  i don't want to change how bright the background is, only lighten up my objects.

All input is wecome!

Thanks!

Are you lighting the scene with an HDRI?

tcmeehan said:
    tcmeehan said:

Hi everyone!

All input is wecome!

Thanks!

I guess it isn't a HDRI file.  In the info it just lists it as a .duf file.  should I add an emission shader to it?

• bungle said:
    bungle said:

Here's version b. I changed out the IBL, and added the craft flying around through the upper right window.  It might look like it's about to crash through the glass, but it is actualy at x=7462.850,y=2430.737,z=-9544.051. The dang thing is about as large as the room we're in for crying out loud.

Already a huge improvement over your initial image.

I like the angle of the ship.

I am looking forward to seeing how this image develops.

Here's version b. I changed out the IBL, and added the craft flying around through the upper right window.  It might look like it's about to crash through the glass, but it is actualy at x=7462.850,y=2430.737,z=-9544.051. The dang thing is about as large as the room we're in for crying out loud.

This looks awesome. I had a possibly fun idea because it looks so desolate. If you lowered the camera and tilted it, and then had a lifeless arm (or alien arm) extending out from near the camera lying in a pool of blood or goo, it would look like everyone on the base had been executed. Then you could turn the ship around and show the thrusters, like they were a departing hit squad. Trying to think of the easiest way to do a pool of blood, I think you could use a primitive plane, and then use an opacity mask ( i think its under Iray geometry). Use gimp or photoshop to create a black square then draw the shape of the puddle in white. White = Opaque, Black = Transparent. You'd have to test it, maybe even use gray at the edges for semi-transparent. You could use a liquid normal or bump map (google search) to texture the surface and an iray goo shader. Just an idea.

Or maybe I could do as you suggest with the camera and such like, but leave the craft as is. Rather than being the reason for what we see, they could be coming to investigate why contact has been lost.

-=-

Here's two versions of version c, following along with my last comment.

That looks really nice. How did you end up making the blood pool? While the soldier looks good, I would hesitate to obfuscate too much of the scenery. It seems like the judges are going to primarily judge on the scenery and landscape. Your spaceport/cafe scene looks nice, I would put most of my attention on the landscape in the background. While the clouds look nice, I bet you could make some surreal looking scene with a close planetary surface out part of the view and deep space or even part of a sun out the rest. I'm thinking planetary rings, Interstellar dust, maybe part of a nebula. Just thoughts.

I used a blood splat prop from Smay with an Iray shader for blood to get the look.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

So nice to see someone using Bryce.  I was hoping at least 1 person would with this challenge.

You have a great start going with this image.  Might I suggest an Eagle, Condor or some other large bird circling in the sky?  If you have something suitable in your Runtime.

I don't have any large birds...but I do have some spaceships...

Follow the Leader

My turn to provide a link to a free model:  Here's some eagles.

http://tf3dm.com/search/?q=eagle&format=All+Formats&search=Search

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161
    edited June 2016

-=-

Here's version d, and d2.

Edit - Thought I had posted it sooner, but guess I forgot to hit post comment.

june2016d.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 682K
    june2016d2.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 653K
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited June 2016

Playing more with Bryce after watching Horo's stacked terrain tutorial.

Windmill from "Walden Mill"

Minor postwork in Photoshop

Mountain Lake Sunset-5-48@0,75x.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 679K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on

@TabascoJack: That is absolutely beautiful.  Makes me wish Bryce worked on my computer

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

-=-

This takes an interesting turn with the scenery on the outside. it gets hard to follow though as to where should I look to follow the story. could you probably get the windows larger, so we can see more of the outside? I notice that you tries to set apart in and outside by different light settings.  These last two i have the impression that the inside get a bit too dark. One option woudl be to try setting th colour schemes more different for the in and outside but let a bit more light in on the inside

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited June 2016

TobascoJack gets a shout out here; his tutorial on space scenes prompted me to try something along those lines.

Plus, it's Star Wars season again!

(I survived the last 2; I can survive this one too...)

XWing01.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 706K
    Post edited by dHandle on
    tcmeehan said:
    tcmeehan said:
    tcmeehan said:

Hi everyone!

All input is wecome!

Thanks!

I guess it isn't a HDRI file.  In the info it just lists it as a .duf file.  should I add an emission shader to it?

I still have some problems using HDRI's myself.  Since you are happy with the sky I would leave it alone and try adding a spotlight to see if you can get some additional light in your scene.  You will be able to control how much light you add, where it will be located, it's colour, etc with a spotlight.

Linwelly said:

-=-

This takes an interesting turn with the scenery on the outside. it gets hard to follow though as to where should I look to follow the story. could you probably get the windows larger, so we can see more of the outside? I notice that you tries to set apart in and outside by different light settings.  These last two i have the impression that the inside get a bit too dark. One option woudl be to try setting th colour schemes more different for the in and outside but let a bit more light in on the inside

I really like the addition of the blue to the alien's skin.  It helps to draw the eye there.

I like the orangey sky in version D and the rock formations in D2 definitely gives the entire image a whole new feel as Linwelly said.  I find the adition of the extra ships distracting however.  My eye does not know where to settle.  Especially in version D2.

Playing more with Bryce after watching Horo's stacked terrain tutorial.

Windmill from "Walden Mill"

Minor postwork in Photoshop

This has a look of a painting to me.  Very peaceful.  Wish I could spend some time in that windmill.

dHandle said:

TobascoJack gets a shout out here; his tutorial on space scenes prompted me to try something along those lines.

Plus, it's Star Wars season again!

(I survived the last 2; I can survive this one too...)

I love the light flare from the sun appearing behind the planet.  Nicely done.

This has a look of a painting to me.  Very peaceful.  Wish I could spend some time in that windmill.

I do too!

edited June 2016

Added some engine exhaust...

XWing01.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 780K
    edited June 2016

Got to thinking about it.  No engine exhaust in space.

Ion engine glow seems more appropriate...

XWing02.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 777K
    dHandle said:

You're right about the ion engine glow.  Much more appropriate for space.  Nice Photoshop/Gimp work with the background gas cloud.  Looks great!

@dhandle - Nice render.  Glad my tutorials were helpful.  From a composition perspective, I might move the whole scene up a bit.  Right now, everything is located in the bottom half of the picture, and it feels unbalanced.  Try moving it up so the X-wing is about 1/3 of the way from the bottom.  You might also try adjusting it (either by rotating the camera or by moving the planet) to increase the vertical separation between the planet and the X-wing.

edited June 2016
    dracorn said:
    dHandle said:

You're right about the ion engine glow.  Much more appropriate for space.  Nice Photoshop/Gimp work with the background gas cloud.  Looks great!

Thanks Dracorn!

But I looked at it this morning and ...gag!  cheeky 

That ion engine glow looks awful!  (in my defense, it was late; I was tired..it was Wednesday, etc)  So... I went back into D/S, and put point lights inside each engine to highlight some of the details in there.  Then I redid the glow in PS.

Better?

XWing3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 779K
    edited June 2016

@tobascoJack - Thanks Jack! 

As you know, this is a background, which means I would need to move the planet in Photoshop.  I guess I could do that; I saved all the layers.

Need to take a look at it and see...

dHandle said:
    dracorn said:
    dHandle said:

Thanks Dracorn!

That ion engine glow looks awful!  (in my defense, it was late; I was tired..it was Wednesday, etc)  So... I went back into D/S, and put point lights inside each engine to highlight some of the details in there.  Then I redid the glow in PS.

Better?

WAY better!  Looks a lot more like Star Wars... except wasn't it red?   Ah, the heck with it!  I LIKE blue.  Really.

edited June 2016

OK, I finally managed to squeeze in a little time to work on my render.  Here's the first character:

Old Man.jpg
    500 x 500 - 66K
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    dracorn said:

OK, I finally managed to squeeze in a little time to work on my render.  Here's the first character:

Wow Dracorn that is an amaing looking charactor!!!

dracorn said:

This guy looks great!

Now you need to fit him into a suitable landscape...

cheeky

HA!  I crack myself up!

edited June 2016
    dracorn said:
    dHandle said:
    dracorn said:
    dHandle said:

Thanks Dracorn!

Better?

WAY better!  Looks a lot more like Star Wars... except wasn't it red?   Ah, the heck with it!  I LIKE blue.  Really.

Red?  The engine glow?  Yeah, I did do my homework for this one, and most of the images did show the engine glow as some shade of orange or red.  Other spacecraft had different color glows.  For example, the Millennium Falcon had a bluish white glow.

Now that I look at it, the whole scene is blue!  So..the orange engine glow would probably pop out a little more.

Ok..orange glow coming right up!

I didn't get a chance to work on the perspective / layout.  That's a much bigger project.

Maybe later...

XWing04.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 780K
    dHandle said:
    dracorn said:
    dHandle said:
    dracorn said:
    dHandle said:

Thanks Dracorn!

Better?

Red?  The engine glow?  Yeah, I did do my homework for this one, and most of the images did show the engine glow as some shade of orange or red.  Other spacecraft had different color glows.  For example, the Millennium Falcon had a bluish white glow.

Now that I look at it, the whole scene is blue!  So..the orange engine glow would probably pop out a little more.

Ok..orange glow coming right up!

I didn't get a chance to work on the perspective / layout.  That's a much bigger project.

Maybe later...

Want more contrast? Make it yellow or green. Not that I'm trying to be a pain, but there is already a blue/orange theme going on, which is great, because those complementary colors are so rarely used - and it's gorgeous. So using something to contrast with those two colors will stand out even more. In answer to the Star Wars purists, just say that these are modified engines. :)
    Thanks dHandle and Saphirewild. He's Ryuu for Michael 5 with Aging Morphs for Genesis and Mature Mark Hair. I love the new Riccardo Hair. It's realistic and not for models. I'll have to see if I can fit it to G1, G2 and convert it to 3Delight. It looks fibermesh, so not sure if I can.
  • Here's version e. I moved the Falcon atleast twice as far out from were she had been so she wasn't filling the window we were seeing her though.

june2016e.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 633K

Here's version e. I moved the Falcon atleast twice as far out from were she had been so she wasn't filling the window we were seeing her though.

Here's an idea:

We all know what kind of trouble the Falcon and her captain get into.  How about those three ships to the right engaged in battle with the Falcon?  You can have some fun with post work here - blaster fire, a ship careening off towards to impact into the mountains, blowing up, etc.

This will make the story complete.  Then we will know that Han and Chewie had blasted the alien who is now lying on the floor and are making their escape followed by some angry buddies of the slain alien. 

Oh, by the way, the outpost is too neat and orderly.  Knock over a couple of chairs. If you can post work a couple of smoldering blaster holes in the wall, that will add to the chaos of the interior.  Maybe display some flames licking in from the side.  Han and Chewie rarely leave a place without a lot of damage.