Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    Novica said:

Oh wow, I've got some fun people following my author Instagram account. One doesn't follow many people (12,000 followers, they follow 4,000) and they started following ME first!  How about the Creative Director of Apple?! I squealed like a pig!

What Books are you writing?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

It will be a series of children's books and revolves around a family pet. You know, the typical stuff for kids lol. So looking at ZBrush to model some things, but first have to get the book written. And edit. And edit. Picking characters will be hard, have so many to choose from, then to morph. Using both Genesis 2 and 3. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

That's so cool!  I've always envied people who can write. (and those who can sew lol).  I love love love to read but don't think I have the skill to put a story together except in pictures.

That's so cool!  I've always envied people who can write. (and those who can sew lol).  I love love love to read but don't think I have the skill to put a story together except in pictures.

Yeah, well don't get me anywhere near needle and thread or you'll have a mess!!!

You and me both...

edited June 2016

Here is a very quick Rune 7 render wih GI Dome Iray Lights the portrait part. Elven outfit and fantasy warrior hair.  She has a wonderful texture to her skin.  I didn't think I was going to like her but I really do.  And I did absolutely nothing to the lights just clicked and rendered. Super super easy.  And LOTS of options. I have to go to bed we are leaving tomorrow, I just had to try her out before we go since I am sure I won't have much time while we are gone... I don't think sand is good for laptops...

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • 3D Universe3D Universe Posts: 327
    edited June 2016
    jakiblue said:

It's such a strange thing - I don't think any other character i've ever seen, WON'T let other clothes and hair fit her. I mean, heck, you can put any older hair on G3F and it'll work fine. What on earth is wrong with Hayley that she won't take hairs or other clothes?

Hi all,

We're reading about people having issues with fitting G3F hair to haley, but I haven't seen any examples of the issue. We've tested Haley with several different hair styles from various PA's and have had no issue. We've included a few example renders using various hairstyles (click on thumbnail to see all 5 examples). Nothing has been done to them apart from adding a smoothing modifier in some cases. Please excuse the graininess, these were quick renders.

If you could give specific examples of issues you are seeing, we can look into them. It's also always better to send issues directly to the PA, as posting issues in the forum can be missed.

HairDemosOnHaley.jpg
    1500 x 390 - 199K
    Post edited by 3D Universe on
    jakiblue said:

It's such a strange thing - I don't think any other character i've ever seen, WON'T let other clothes and hair fit her. I mean, heck, you can put any older hair on G3F and it'll work fine. What on earth is wrong with Hayley that she won't take hairs or other clothes?

Hi all,

We're reading about people having issues with fitting G3F hair to haley, but I haven't seen any examples of the issue. We've tested Haley with several different hair styles from various PA's and have had no issue. We've included a few example renders using various hairstyles (click on thumbnail to see all 5 examples). Nothing has been done to them apart from adding a smoothing modifier in some cases. Please excuse the graininess, these were quick renders.

If you could give specific examples of issues you are seeing, we can look into them. It's also always better to send issues directly to the PA, as posting issues in the forum can be missed.

If you scroll back one page you'll find examples including renders:

Novica said:

Well, this is what the Geneva Hair does when I put it on Haley.  So I reloaded Haley, reloaded the hair, tested again, same thing. I tried Haley two ways, one with loading G3F then the shape, the other way loading as Actor, fully loaded already. Both had same results. Someone else try her with Geneva Hair?

Novica said:

Well, Odessa Hair went on fine, but here's Eclectic Hair. And yes, the figure is selected when I put on the hair, and yes, I did it with the G3F with Haley added to the figure, then with it loaded straight into the viewport as Actor from G3F>Characters in Content Library. Screwy.

OK, we tested both the Geneva Hair and Eclectic Hair.

The issue with the Geneva hairstyle is that it has extra bones to pose the hair (tails, bangs, etc). When the hair is applied to Haley who is a lot smaller then the Genesis 3 Base, the hair adjusts correctly, but the extra bones aren't adjusted. There is a way that hair styles like this can be designed by the PA's to ensure that extra bones are moved correctly when auto -fitting hair to a new character to ensure forward character compatibility, but unfortunately that isn't the case with Geneva Hair.
    Although we could offer an automatic fix for the Geneva hairstyle specifically for Haley, the best would be for the PA to be contacted and asked to update their hairstyle to ensure future compatibility. If the hairstyle isn't updated, it may not be compatible with other characters that have a big scale difference from the Genesis 3 base figure. We did the update on the hair ourselves, and have included a render of the result. 

The Eclectic hairstyle has some rigging issues with some mismatched geometry. It looks like the item was updated from a previous figure as there are geometry areas that don't match to Genesis 3 Female bone names. When we rerigged the hairstyle, the problem went away. Once again, it would be best to contact the PA who created the hair to update it as it may not be compatible with other characters that have a big scale difference from the Genesis 3 base figure.

As a conclusion - this issue is not a problem with the Haley figure, but due to Haley's smaller size in regard to Genesis 3 Female the problems with the hairstyles is made obvious. The issues (although still there) would not be as visible on a character that has the same general size as Genesis 3 Female because DAZ Studio's Autofit feature does not have to move geometry around as much to fit it to the character. 

We are happy to advise the relevant PA's as to how to address the issues with their hair products.

hair_Geneva Hair.png
    300 x 390 - 176K
    hair_Eclectic.png
    300 x 390 - 185K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited June 2016

I have to go to bed we are leaving tomorrow, I just had to try her out before we go since I am sure I won't have much time while we are gone... I don't think sand is good for laptops...

Well both computers and sand have silicon in them. wink

Post edited by TJohn on

OK, we tested both the Geneva Hair and Eclectic Hair.

The issue with the Geneva hairstyle is that it has extra bones to pose the hair (tails, bangs, etc). When the hair is applied to Haley who is a lot smaller then the Genesis 3 Base, the hair adjusts correctly, but the extra bones aren't adjusted. There is a way that hair styles like this can be designed by the PA's to ensure that extra bones are moved correctly when auto -fitting hair to a new character to ensure forward character compatibility, but unfortunately that isn't the case with Geneva Hair.
    Although we could offer an automatic fix for the Geneva hairstyle specifically for Haley, the best would be for the PA to be contacted and asked to update their hairstyle to ensure future compatibility. If the hairstyle isn't updated, it may not be compatible with other characters that have a big scale difference from the Genesis 3 base figure. We did the update on the hair ourselves, and have included a render of the result. 

The Eclectic hairstyle has some rigging issues with some mismatched geometry. It looks like the item was updated from a previous figure as there are geometry areas that don't match to Genesis 3 Female bone names. When we rerigged the hairstyle, the problem went away. Once again, it would be best to contact the PA who created the hair to update it as it may not be compatible with other characters that have a big scale difference from the Genesis 3 base figure.

As a conclusion - this issue is not a problem with the Haley figure, but due to Haley's smaller size in regard to Genesis 3 Female the problems with the hairstyles is made obvious. The issues (although still there) would not be as visible on a character that has the same general size as Genesis 3 Female because DAZ Studio's Autofit feature does not have to move geometry around as much to fit it to the character. 

We are happy to advise the relevant PA's as to how to address the issues with their hair products.

Thanks for the interesting explanation!

edited June 2016

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the explanation- it must be a bit frustrating for you to have a character that gives customers a different shape/size (and folks ask for those/appreciate them) then encounter bone problems with hair products. (And sorry, I am so not technical, hope I phrased that right.) Haley's a cutie!

I have to be honest with my first reaction- this thread has been here, reviewing products, for three years going on four. About 400,000+ views/posts as of a few months ago for the seven threads. Anytime new products come out, some of them are usually posted. The purpose is to let the other buyers know what's encountered, so other people aren't reinventing the wheel so to speak, wondering if the issue(s) are something they're not doing right, things they really like, etc. PAs should know the thread is here by now. (And there's a lot of behind the scenes emailing that goes on with PAs giving tips/help and also posting on the thread.) BUT on the other hand, my reaction certainly also included the acknowledgment that you're very busy.

However, so am I.  I don't track down vendors, but I do file bug reports (such as the splotchy skin on that character's knuckles that was recently mentioned)  What I am going to say is just being honest-  If vendors want to head that off, it's up to them if they want to check what's going on here, I'm not tracking them down. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, it's just how I am deciding to spend my time. I find it extremely- extremely gracious of you to be willing and wanting to hear from your buyers. It shows great class, and is appreciated.

I'll file the bug report if I don't find the issue already reported in other threads. And I do take the time and give that a fair shot, I skim the first page or two of the Commons.  People are good to point to threads that exist, in case I missed it.  I personally (and the other regular posters) always ask if anyone else has encountered the problem, and we test it.  I know all this doesn't help when products aren't rendered right away, PAs checking the thread when the product's released wouldn't see something if it's not here,  but do know whenever we DO showcase it, we try to explore if it's one person having the problem, or more than one, and then file a report. 

I saw in the thread in the Commons how hard you are trying to please people (no surprise, I've been a fan for years) and frankly, the timing of this hair thing just didn't work in your favor because I had just encountered several things wrong, one right after another, after another... that I wanted to render (that did NOT include Haley) so just getting totally fed up with it. People can see from the thread that I've stopped rendering  quite a bit (and reduced buying)  So when Haley and hair went bonkers, it was very bad timing and no fault of yours. I have almost everything you make!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post and explain what is happening. 

Post edited by Novica on
    Tjohn said:

I have to go to bed we are leaving tomorrow, I just had to try her out before we go since I am sure I won't have much time while we are gone... I don't think sand is good for laptops...

Well both computers and sand have silicon in them. wink

This is true lol.  But my family has already threatened death and dismemberment if I so much as look at the laptop for anything other than loading the pictures we take from the camera to the laptop lol.

Also in Novica's and other posters in this threads defense, if there is a work around found or the PA pops in or if for some reason its user error, its always posted as well. 

Also in Novica's and other posters in this threads defense, if there is a work around found or the PA pops in or if for some reason its user error, its always posted as well. 

And the PAs are very gracious to help us out when it's user error. smiley  BTW, your Rune looks really good, and I do like that lighting!

I didn't buy her because I have too many females, and I'm also putting my money into game development (which my sons are doing, and we're working with a London studio for advanced gameplay options. C++ programming is not my forte, and all that other stuff they're doing.) It's 2D art, no Daz stuff. 

But I'll probably get Ivan, males, maybe a few females if they really appeal to me. 

edited June 2016

As mentioned several days ago, I rendered Annelies for Olympia 7. She's wearing Geneva Hair (we/ve linked that one repeatedly) and the H&C Tight Sportswear Set. Really want to recommend that set because of the high waisted pants- it's actually practical and family friendly. You have two options with the shirt too, showing the midriff or not, so the shirt can be used with other outfits too. I also like Annelies, easy to light. 

Interesting- I used the Early Morning Workout With Gia 7 and the hands were perfect for this figure, which is Olympia 7. Did a closeup, look how intricate the fingers are, and I didn't move them AT ALL.  So you might want to wishlist that product, it's got great variety and the hands are very well done. The last pose is from a different product.

The background is one of the ones SereneNight posted on this thread when she and I did freebies. Thanks SereneNight! 

handsearlymornwkoutGia.jpg
    273 x 332 - 67K
    AnneliesTightSportswearSet.jpg
    250 x 575 - 92K
    AnneliesTightSportswearSet2.jpg
    248 x 465 - 82K
    AnneliesTightSportswearSet3.jpg
    550 x 575 - 154K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Those are really great renders Novica!

Khory said:

Those are really great renders Novica!

Thank you- she is very easy to light, and IH Kang did a nice job making the outfit versatile with the two different tops. Many of the other workout clothes are a bit too low slung for me to use in a book for kids.

Anyone else do Rune? 

This is true lol.  But my family has already threatened death and dismemberment if I so much as look at the laptop for anything other than loading the pictures we take from the camera to the laptop lol.

Have a safe trip and HAVE FUN! 

Unfortunately, we really don't have time to browse through long threads to find what issues customers are having. So if you find an issue that you would actually like us to help with, please contact us directly.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Have to agree with 3DU on this one..  yours is one of the few threads I actually follow, don't have much time to watch the forums.  (and I even missed about 4 pages here because I stopped getting reply notifications)

Well, I just did a test to answer a new user question, and I got the opposite result that I always thought I would get. They wanted to know how to cut down on render times, and I thought hiding body parts that don't show would do that. But I wanted to get them specifics. So I tested the Annelies render (the big one of her sitting down) with all the body parts hidden that were under her clothes, vs the regular render. Well, with body parts hidden it was 2 minutes 23 seconds, and with them there but covered with the clothes, it was only 1 minute 57 seconds!  Why would it be less time with MORE there?

Hiding "unseen" parts is mainly reducing the VRAM needed.

Impact on Rendering Time is more complicated. It will reduce the Setup time but this is miniscule.

What it does, is taking this part out of the light path calculation. This can have positive impact, no impact,  but also negative impact (for instance if the hidden object acted as a "light stopper")

Gotcha. But the body under the clothes wouldn't be stopping light, the clothes would. Appreciate the explanation! smiley

Heads up, in Fast Grab, Fisty and Darc 's La Llorona's Frock has a lot of material zones, which they do deliberately for shader presets. It's a nice, family friendly dress! (Don't let the blood promos fool you, there are non-blood materials too.) Only $5.39

Has anyone rendered Riccardo Hair? I was happy to see some unusual hair for the men, particularly balding.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited June 2016

Novica said:

Heads up, in Fast Grab, Fisty and Darc 's La Llorona's Frock has a lot of material zones, which they do deliberately for shader presets. It's a nice, family friendly dress! (Don't let the blood promos fool you, there are non-blood materials too.) Only $5.39

Has anyone rendered Riccardo Hair? I was happy to see some unusual hair for the men, particularly balding.

I picked up ricardo hair .I haven't rendered it but will. I wish it had also a non-balding version, because I like the way it clumps. Overall though, perfect for using under a helmet, since it is well, bald and you worry less about poke through.

I like the trend some pa's are doing with making more than one style for the hair that is sold. It makes the men's hair more versatile.

Post edited by Serene Night on

I picked up ricardo hair .I haven't rendered it but will. I wish it had also a non-balding version, because I like the way it clumps. Overall though, perfect for using under a helmet, since it is well, bald and you worry less about poke through.

I like the trend some pa's are doing with making more than one style for the hair that is sold. It makes the men's hair more versatile.

Oh, that's right, under helmets and hoods would be a really good thing! Good idea. Looking forward to seeing it! 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited June 2016

Invited Guest Contributer

Riccardo Hair http://www.daz3d.com/riccardo-hair-for-genesis-3-male-s

Kyle http://www.daz3d.com/kyle-hd-for-michael-7

Here are some quick renders of Riccardo Hair. Not a lot to see from the front, because, well it is a receding style,  but the hair is realistic and versatile and looks good when you see it visible especially from the sides.There are a ton, and I mean a ton of adjustments you can make. However, the names of the adjustments can be a bit obscure so for me it was hunt and peck  to tug the hairline down closer to the ears and expand the top a little. There are multiple colors. Hair is divided into zones so you can see what you are doing.

Overall, I think it is great. Hope to see more styles, and well, a fuller hairstyle at some point.

I rendered this on Kyle by Raiya.

Overall, I recommend it. yes

982.jpg
    1000 x 1143 - 720K
    98.jpg
    1000 x 1143 - 700K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091

Thanks for that, Serene Night - I've been eyeing that hair since I saw it, but it's nice to see someone's actual experiences with it.

Yes, thanks! I don't think we've ever showcased Kyle either, have we? (Poor dude, he's thinking "Why do I have to be the one showing the balding hair product?") 

Congrats MelanieL on your RRRR win, as well as Luci45, Gopherus, and Barbult (and the rest of the winners!) 

BTW folks, please vote in the Because I Said So contest, this is the last one for awhile.  Everyone is busy this summer, I'm working on my book, so people are spread pretty thin. 

That link will take you to the thread so you can see the entries and get the voting link. 

This discussion has been closed.