What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...better memory management. Scenefile bloat is still an issue.

Agreed, can't believe that 3DMax and Modo being more easily to work than DS in the SAME PC, c'mon!
  • Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

A layout that is very much like Poser (but without actually making SmithMicro angry at Daz). That way, more Poser users can be attracted to Daz Studio because many are turned off by the interface.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited December 1969

I want the ability to turn off mesh smoother for the whole scene. Some outfits the mesh smoother cycles endlessly, and I cannot find the item in the scene that does it... And it kills my computer.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

A layout that is very much like Poser (but without actually making SmithMicro angry at Daz). That way, more Poser users can be attracted to Daz Studio because many are turned off by the interface.

...maybe as a UI settings option.

The Darkside UI is an improvement but I would still like to see a vertical tree format and one that "held" your place like we had in earlier versions. Every time I go from the scene back to the content library tab it defaults to the "top" level again.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

The Darkside UI is an improvement but I would still like to see a vertical tree format and one that "held" your place like we had in earlier versions. Every time I go from the scene back to the content library tab it defaults to the "top" level again.

The vertical tree format is there -- Content Library tab > options menu > View as Tree

Not sure why the Content Library tab isn't keeping your position -- do you use a layout with Activity Tabs? I don't, and the Content Library keeps my last position -- even starts up where it was when I shut down last.

edited December 1969

...thanks, I'll give that a try.

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

A layout that is very much like Poser

No THX!
    if you like poser, play and stay with poser.
    I do not need another bad poser interface.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...better memory management. Scenefile bloat is still an issue.

Agreed, can't believe that 3DMax and Modo being more easily to work than DS in the SAME PC, c'mon!

I only can join and confirm this one!
    memory management, is still a big issue... that you don't see in max or maya

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,329
    edited October 2012

That like comparing apples to oranges. With Maya you have a team of probably 100 programs and DS with a team of maybe 4. 100 eyes are better than 4, and it's reflected in the cost of the software.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

No THX!

Agreed - No thanks - I hate poser's interface.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

No THX!

Agreed - No thanks - I hate poser's interface.

/agreed.

Not fond of Poser Interface. Like the DAZ Studio 3 interface best.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

1. navigaiton controller in the lerge scene set.

long years ago, I learned vrml. it was not so easy to make complex scene,
    but there are viewer to navigate scene easy. . (it was like a simple game,,)

eg in the big building or scene

a) user check where is good point about the scene prop by scene exprorer viewer
    user can easy , foward run turn left turn light, or if you want you can point out the place from small scene map.
    if click the place, user view translate at once .

b) translattion assets or subsets where the user point at in exprorer window.

think about make scene in the cave, first I use exproer navigation window, by easy controller foward back left right
    as if I am exprolering the cave with camera, like game.

after find good place for render , point out by mouce pointer,
    then translate the figure or subsets or light sets by one click.

then change viewer from exproler viewer to ds 3d viewer.
    adjust light etc,,

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    That like comparing apples to oranges. With Maya you have a team of probably 100 programs and DS with a team of maybe 4. 100 eyes are better than 4, and it's reflected in the cost of the software.

DS, has more then 1000 eyes from users that do the Beta testing for daz.
    If the users complain about memory management leaks, it's up to the developers to figure it out.
    I still guess Ds is made free because it's still another beta. it wasn't free the first time, i think $429 was a reasonable price if more dynamics and animétools built in and the memorymanagement problems solved.

edited December 1969

...if Daz intends Studio to be the best application in this particular market segment, then the memory management issues need to be dealt with before the addition of new features

@fixme12, as one of those Daz beta testers, who actually paid for the "privilege" of doing so, I agree. Many of us have submitted support ticket upon support ticket addressing the issue. Yet, memory leak and file bloat still persists, not only in 3.x but in their newest release as well.

• RLSprouseRLSprouse Posts: 288
    edited December 1969

I want one thing... R E L I A B I L I T Y

DS4.5 crashes constantly, to the point where I really can't use it at all. I am lucky if I can work for two minutes at a time without crashing. And since I cannot get registered on their damn bug submission system, I cannot even submit the many crash reports I have accumulated.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

I on the other hand havn't had DS 4.5 crash on me once. I find it extremely reliable.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,329
    edited December 1969

I haven't had it crash on me either, but from reading the forums, there are several that are having the problem. Maybe its system spec related.

• KinnieMKinnieM Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

I on the other hand havn't had DS 4.5 crash on me once. I find it extremely reliable.

Then I envy you greatly as it does so on regular basis for me. For me the biggest problem is memory. I never had an issue with daz 4.0 but with 4.5 it runs out of memory with only 1 character and outfit in the scene when I try to render it (normally a 1200*1200 size render). I now create the scene and then render it with the stand-alone version of 3delight which can handle much larger render sizes with no issues. Also, I now save every 2-4 minutes to make sure that if daz 4.5 crashes I don't lose too much work done in the scene.

And for clarification purposes my system is 4.5 years old. I am running a 32 bit windows 7 with 3 gigs of ram. What I find strange however is that I sometimes create/work with large pics in Photoshop CS6 (6000 * 6000 and bigger) and never have an issue with my systems memory and for anyone who works in photoshop knows is that photoshop can definitely be a memory hog.

edited October 2012

KinnieM said:

Then I envy you greatly as it does so on regular basis for me. For me the biggest problem is memory. I never had an issue with daz 4.0 but with 4.5 it runs out of memory with only 1 character and outfit in the scene when I try to render it (normally a 1200*1200 size render). I now create the scene and then render it with the stand-alone version of 3delight which can handle much larger render sizes with no issues. Also, I now save every 2-4 minutes to make sure that if daz 4.5 crashes I don't lose too much work done in the scene.

And for clarification purposes my system is 4.5 years old. I am running a 32 bit windows 7 with 3 gigs of ram. What I find strange however is that I sometimes create/work with large pics in Photoshop CS6 (6000 * 6000 and bigger) and never have an issue with my systems memory and for anyone who works in photoshop knows is that photoshop can definitely be a memory hog.

why not upgrade to 64bit and a little bit more memory?

Post edited by Fixme12 on
  • KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

I did not read all 6 pages of this thread very carefully, so please ignore any duplicate requests. And I know this isn't an official thread, but I would really like:

- z-depth cameras which account for transparencies

- A much faster native render engine. I prefer Genesis over Vicky and DS's interface over Poser's, but the render speed difference betweed 3Delight and Firefly is almost exponential. A high resolution render in Poser utilizing SSS and IDL might take 30 minutes. The same render in DS using high quality Uberenvironment settings can take more than 3 hours. And, honestly, the Firefly render looks more realistic. I know nothing about how programs interface with render engines, but a bridge to a faster render engine would be great. Lux does lovely work, but it's also very time and resource intensive. I honestly think a bridge to Firefly would be awesome. I'm sure exclusivity rights or technical issues would preclude this, but it would be nice.

- IDL in DS -- but only with a faster render engine.

- Included script to add AO shaders to MATERIALS, not lights. More control over this and the ability to cut render times dramatically.

- Less arcane methods of creating point lights with falloff or SPOT lights with shadow maps/gels withing DS. Using shaders and "gel" lights (via shader mixer) isn't intuitive or quick.

I'm sure I'll think of more!

edited October 2012

fixme12 said:
    KinnieM said:

why not upgrade to 64bit and a little bit more memory?

....if it is not within one's means to do so that isn't a solution. Even a basic, 64 bit "off the shelf" i7 system with a dedicated GPU and twice the memory isn't all that "affordable" if you are on a tight budget.

I have 4G (of which only 2G can be allocated to any single app. under 32 bit) and often experience crashes with much smaller scenes (800 x 800). Yes there is the standalone 3Delight route, however I have to get past setting up a scene in a viewport that is sluggish, often jittery and prone to crashing, just to get to where I can send it to a .rib for rendering.

3.1.2.32 does not work with the latest 3Delight release (or ever ver.9) as the app. was set up to process shaders/textures conforming to 3Delight ver 8/8.5 standards. Thus the newer versions have difficulty reading the texture formats that are exported to the .rib resulting in multiple TDLMake errors.

There is no rolling back to the 8 or 8,.5 either since 3Delight no longer supports the .licserver requirement which is needed to reactivate the older releases of the standalone engine after installing.

I have experienced almost no trouble with Bryce (except when using the Daz Studio bridge) Neither with Carrara8 Pro (except when importing a Daz Studio scene, which back when I was working in C6, I had no trouble with ) or Poser Pro2010 (except when using the .cr2 exporter from Daz Studio). Hexagon 2.5 was always buggy, and often would suddenly freeze up, requiring going into Windows Task Manager to end the process.

Heck even Blender runs nicely and it is a very robust application.

I don't buy the excuse that the Daz development team is doesn't have the manpower resources. The company I worked for had only one dedicated programmer and four development personnel (yours truly included) and yet we manged to produce the best almost "bullet proof" search engine software on the market at the time. What it takes is focus and not spreading limited resources out on several projects at the same time like Daz keeps doing (and the Website update couldn't have been more ill timed).. This is why Studio keeps having issues with memory management and stability. As I have mentioned before, it might rankle the Carrara/Bryce crowd a bit, but if Daz really want's it's flagship app to be the next best thing to sliced bread. it needs to throw ALL it's marbles there.

Testaments like KinneM's as well as that of others who use much more robust applications with far less difficulty while at the same time experiencing major issues with a hobbyists' app like Daz Studio should tell Daz something. This to me reeks of shortcuts and sloppy coding just to get something out the door before the "other guy" (Smith Micro) did.

If this were a new aircraft, the FAA inspectors would never certify it as airworthy and tell the designers and engineers to go back to the drawing board.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

I'd like the render launched in a separate process that leaves DS still useable during a render.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    ...a team of probably 100 programmers and DS with a team of maybe 4. 100 eyes are better than 4, and it's reflected in the cost of the software.

You're saying programmers only have one eye each?:-P

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    I don't buy the excuse that the Daz development team is doesn't have the manpower resources. The company I worked for had only one dedicated programmer and four development personnel (yours truly included) and yet we manged to produce the best almost "bullet proof" search engine software on the market at the time. What it takes is focus and not spreading limited resources out on several projects at the same time like Daz keeps doing (and the Website update couldn't have been more ill timed).. This is why Studio keeps having issues with memory management and stability. As I have mentioned before, it might rankle the Carrara/Bryce crowd a bit, but if Daz really want's it's flagship app to be the next best thing to sliced bread. it needs to throw ALL it's marbles there.

indeed not obvious to everyone to update his or her system if you have a tight budget. and not fun at all if you see al these new things appear.

you're absolutely right about this, if Daz really want's it's flagship app to be the next best thing to sliced bread. it needs to throw ALL it's marbles there. and then we might finally have a manual appear at launch time. ;-)

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

I just gave up on daz studio.

They should make the outrageously high open gl requirements optional. ogl is just for the viewport, right? So make it such that less than optimal systems can only preview wireframes. At least it would work!

And I think we all know DS5 will be dead on arrival if the default scene does not load the long overdue Millennium Cow!

But of course that goes without saying ...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Fille123 said:
    Regarding Area Rendering, here is a link to the 'official' feature request (please add supporting note if you'd like it too): https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=36684 ...

Access Denied ... I would have added my voice, but I can't.

edited December 1969

prixat said:
    I'd like the render launched in a separate process that leaves DS still useable during a render.

And it would mean that the Render gets the 2GB for a process allowed in 32bit Windows.
    Would be nice.

edited December 1969

And I think we all know DS5 will be dead on arrival if the default scene does not load the long overdue Millennium Cow!

But of course that goes without saying ...

Of course! ;)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    prixat said:

And it would mean that the Render gets the 2GB for a process allowed in 32bit Windows.
    Would be nice.
    ...which is why in PoserPro 2010 I always render in background using the Queue Manager.

I also have to agree with Sockratease about the OGL issue.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kerya said:
    prixat said:

Would be nice.

...which is why in PoserPro 2010 I always render in background using the Queue Manager.

I also have to agree with Sockratease about the OGL and Millennium Cow issue.

Fixed that for ya, kid :coolhmm: