Bring on the Boys 3D Content Reviews

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited March 2016

Evilded777, thanks for the time and effort you put into writing these great reviews! I'm new to 3D art and really enjoying reading them. I'm especially enjoying "Bring on the Boys". I'm glad we're getting more stuff for the guys, and such wonderful new characters (I am totally in love with Gianni 7 and forever will be!) I don't have the setup to do Iray yet but the Living Skin M4 article and resources looks very good. Keep up the great work!

Post edited by Llynara on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

Thanks, Llynara. I've been a little busy for the last month buying a house.. so I've been remiss in getting reviews done promptly.  I'll be better in the future.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Congrats on the house! That does keep one busy! 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited March 2016

That was a great review on Khory's light set.  I parked it in my wishlist and will be keeping an eye on it

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Thanks, Sonja. I just wanted to get something out quick because of March Madness and all... it'll come back around and I wanted it fresh in people's minds.

At some point I will do a more complete write up about Tone Mapping, and will definetely reference Khory's set again.

Re-launch of Chariot's Wheels with this new article on Render Studio Iray, please excuse the dust while I finish the remodel.

Render Studio Iray

Complete redesign, so old links won't work at the moment, I have to master URL rewriting...

• Read your "Fiction" story on your website, evilded777. It was nice. At first I thought it was true. But then I thought...why is it under fiction. Duh,...because it must be fiction.

I used to write short stories, and one novel. Haven't written anything for a long time. Now a days, I write lyrics and music. Been writing lyrics since I was in grade school.

Thanks, KevinH. I have a few more shorts to post there under Fiction, I'll get to that soon. I don't write enough....

http://www.chariotswheels.com/3d-rendering/daz-studio/74-creative-emissive-lighting.html

This was tough to write, because I love the product, but I'm at a bit of a loss on how to describe it!

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Thank you for the review.  I found it useful.

edited May 2016

Post edited by evilded777 on

Bring on the Boys

Any thoughts on the new presentation format?

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,810

My only criticism of the display format is that I wish the text were darker, so it would be easier to read. Beyond that, the magazine style layout seems to flow well and you've packed in a lot of helpful information.

(Not sure I've actually run into the seams problem with Gray that you have, though. Have to check. I did the reverse of what you did and used the textures and not the morph, because I needed something for M3D Jesse, which is a morphs only package. I did wind up using one of the diffuse presets from Beautiful Skin Iray to make his texture color in Iray a bit livelier. I used an Amazing Skins preset to render him in 3Delight, so I actually have no idea what his default Subsurface looks like. As far as Iray goes, Gray is, to put it mildly, aptly named; I wonder if maybe he got put out right at the transition between 4.8 and 4.9 so that his reflectance tint is wrong? Didn't think to check that, as far as I can recall.)

vwrangler said:

My only criticism of the display format is that I wish the text were darker, so it would be easier to read. Beyond that, the magazine style layout seems to flow well and you've packed in a lot of helpful information.

You mean the actual article text? I guess it is a little light. I'll look into that. Will probably be changing the entire template soon, as I have started to get comfortable with the platform and built things the way I want them. Now I can change the design and retain what I like.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,810
    vwrangler said:

You mean the actual article text? I guess it is a little light. I'll look into that. Will probably be changing the entire template soon, as I have started to get comfortable with the platform and built things the way I want them. Now I can change the design and retain what I like.

Right, the actual article text.

I freely admit to being an old fuddy-duddy when it comes to websites. I don't get the point of wee teeny type -- and higher resolution monitors exacerbate that issue considerably -- or lighter type on light background, or invisible text entry boxes. [No, no, I'm not pointing any fingers at Daz and that search box in the product library, or those boxes on the support ticket page! Whyever would you think such a thing?] Yours is right at what I consider the "grumbling border" -- that is, it makes me grumble, "Well, OK, I can live with it if I have to." It's not acute enough to make me decide not to look at the site.

Boys Next Door for Michael 7

My first freebie in a very long time, I hope you enjoy them.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072

Enjoyable read- I like the honest and up front observations you've put into the site.

Thanks, Darwins Mishap(s).

I really need to do more content. But that takes time away from art. Which takes time away from experimenting. Which takes time away from learning other, new and useful things.

But damnit I gotta pay for all this stuff somehow! My husband does not approve of my hobby.

Tween Ryan 7 Review at Bring on the Boys

Its not exactly glowing.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

Well I had planned to buy the Ice Bandit Gi outfit but I see I need to buy VWFD as well...

Well I had planned to buy the Ice Bandit Gi outfit but I see I need to buy VWFD as well...

That might help...the outfit doesn't flow like it ought to, that's for sure.

• Well, I found your reviews helpful.  Thanks :)

ThreeDean said:

Well, I found your reviews helpful.  Thanks :)

I'm glad, you're welcome. Lucian Bundle reviews coming soon.

Excellent post on Teen Ryan and I agreed with every bit of it.  I bought it but I got it practically free ) like, less than $5.  I don't usually use teens anyway but I figured I would find one or two things to be useful.  I'm going to try the hair on the girls and see how it looks lol. And the skin on Gabriel was at least not pale pale pale. 

• Normally, I would read a review of yours and get a product you've reviewed poorly only when it was dirt cheap.  I was a little leery of this review because I had already purchased the Ryan 7 Pro bundle back in August.  No, I still haven't even used any of it yet except for the Kameron hair.  I may have also used the Tyler hair, too.   I haven't used any of the outfits and it is good to know what problems I'll have going in to it.  I would be worried at all of the money I spent when looking at everything in that bundle that I haven't used, but when I looked at how much I paid for it, well, let's just say I got my money's worth just from using those two hairs.  I managed to strike a deal which is probably why I ended up with the Pro bundle instead of just buying the hairs outright.

I always love reading your reviews even if they aren't glowing.  They are always honest and helpful.  I might never have purchased Khory's Scintillant Lights if not for your review on that one! So, keep them coming even if they aren't exactly glowing.

edited December 2016

Thanks for the words of encouragement and for reading. Lucian 7 is up next (with hopefuly some time to backtrack and do Ivan 7).

I haven't done any sort of tutorial since the first one. If anyone thinks I can shed some light on a topic, feel free to suggest. And well, I do own a lot of content. Feel free to ask about something... if I own it, I can either give my thoughts or write a more formal review if I think its warranted. I will be adding some reviews from other content vendors (gasp... I KNOW, right?).

I've been writing this stuff for over a year now. Hardly seems like it, and it hardly seems like I have produced enough lately. But life takes different directions. There have been times when I have put 3D down for months even years at a time (ok, maybe not years plural, but it might have been for 18 months at one point when I was big into City of Heroes/City of Villains). I've been focussed on other areas and trying to keep all the various other balls in the air while I already have two in my hands...(that's a juggling metaphor, get your mind out of the gutter)

Anyway, since I may forget, and I've never really had an an audience of my own (though people have told me I had fans before I started this endeavor) to do this sort of thing before: I sincerely hope you have a joyous holiday season. Happy Hanukah, Merry Christmas, Blessed Solstice, Joyous Yule...I'm sure there are a dozen I am leaving out there, but if I didn't specifically name yours, think on this: more than seven thousand years ago the Ancient Egyptians (or Kemetics for you reconstructionists) celebrated a Festival of Lights around this time of the year and I wish you the best no matter what name you call it or what day you hold sacred.

"In the night and the dream
    As it cuts through the noise
    With the whisper of snow
    As it starts to deploy

In the depths of a night
    That’s about to begin
    With the feeling of snow
    As it melts on your skin

And it covers the land
    With a dream so intense
    That it returns us all
    To a child’s innocence

And then what you’d thought lost
    And could never retrieve
    Is suddenly there to be found"

--The Lost Christmas Eve, Trans-Siberian Orchestra

I recognized the trans-siberian orchestra from the first line lol.  One of my top 5 favorites of all time. Went to see them once.  It wasn't enough lol.  They were incredible!

edited December 2016

I recognized the trans-siberian orchestra from the first line lol.  One of my top 5 favorites of all time. Went to see them once.  It wasn't enough lol.  They were incredible!

TSO is a family tradition around these parts; we go to the show every year.  One year my parents showed up and said "You have to see this video...we love the music." It was the first viral video of the lightshow with Wizards in Winter (years before they made the beer commercial), and I turned to them and said: What do you think you've been listening to every Christmas Eve for the last few years? A very good friend of ours, Katrina Chester, did the original vocal on The Music Box from The Christmas Attic.