3D Art Freebie Challenge ---June:Dawn of a New Day... MAIN Thread

mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
edited June 2016 in Freebies

Dawn of a New Day...

June is upon us.  For those in the Northern Hemisphere, summer is in full swing.   Gardens are growing, birds are singing and it all starts at the crack of dawn.  Need to run off to that secluded fishing hole to pursue the 'big one'...you'll need to up before dawn, so that you will be casting at the break of day!  Off to the beach...nothing beats traffic like an early morning departure. 

Think of all those fun and some not so fun things that can happen in the first light of the morning.  Even if it's just to catch those first rays breaking over the horizon.

Freebie Challenge Rules

First Place: $15 store credit from DAZ3D
Second Place: $12 store credit from DAZ3D
Third Place: $8 store credit from DAZ3D

Any other donations for prizes thankfully accepted.

Entries Thread

Contest ends June 30th, 2016

Post edited by mjc1016 on

Comments

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

This sounds like it is going to be fun fun fun!!!!

• deeleelaw57deeleelaw57 Posts: 1,478
    edited June 2016

Title: The Best Part of Waking Up

Or so they say

G2F

01)* Pjs
    02)  Renella Hair
    03)* Hair Fits for G2F

SCENE

04)* Big Family House
    05)* Rattan Chair
    06)* Rattan Table
    07)* mil cat texture
    08)* Coffee Set
    09)* Fence
    10)  Curtain
    11)  Shrubs  (right side 3 down)
    12)  Marigold
    13)  Radiant Skies (6 down)
    14)* Garden Cupboard
    15)* Birdhouse

Paid Item
    Mil Cat LE

No Count 
    G2F

2 spot lights
    All work in DAZ 4.9
    no post work
    asterisked items require registration 

The Best Part of Waking Up.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 569K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • CherubitCherubit Posts: 977

great job! amazing render!!

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited June 2016

Or so they say

G2F

01)* Pjs
    02)  Renella Hair
    03)* Hair Fits for G2F

SCENE

04)* Big Family House
    05)* Rattan Chair
    06)* Rattan Table
    07)* mil cat texture
    08)* Coffee Set
    09)* Fence
    10)  Curtain
    12)  Marigold
    14)* Garden Cupboard
    15)* Birdhouse

Paid Item
    Mil Cat LE

No Count 
    G2F

2 spot lights
    All work in DAZ 4.9
    no post work

All links verified

ENTRY ACCEPTED

Please move to Entry Thread.

I have a major sense of deja vu.  I am possitive I checked the links and accepted this entry but I do not see my post anywhere.

Thank you taemimun for the kind words. 

Thank you Kismet2012, it has been moved. I had the stangest feling I made that move before,

oh well deja vu, now that would make an interesting challenge,

would make an interesting challenge.

• EurocoinEurocoin Posts: 298
    edited June 2016

Awesome looking render and at once I wasn't the first one to post a render to the challenge.

And this challenge is kind of a real challenge for me, because around here dawn at this time of year is around 2-3 am and there are not that many things people do that early in the day. Actually a little bit north from here and there wouldn't even be dawn until late July, because the sun wouldn't be setting before that.

Waking up at dawn, yeah no, at this time of the year it's usually going to bed at dawn for me.

Post edited by Eurocoin on
  • Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Or so they say

@deeleelaw57, Now that is called setting the bar high as the first render of the month!   Fantastic work!

That certainly is very appealling to me as I am typically rushing off to work as the sun rises! wink

edited June 2016
    jonttex82 said:

Awesome looking render and at once I wasn't the first one to post a render to the challenge.

And this challenge is kind of a real challenge for me, because around here dawn at this time of year is around 2-3 am and there are not that many things people do that early in the day. Actually a little bit north from here and there wouldn't even be dawn until late July, because the sun wouldn't be setting before that.

Waking up at dawn, yeah no, at this time of the year it's usually going to bed at dawn for me.

24 hours of total daylight... now that would be interesting to experience.  Gotta love the Northern Latitudes!  I feel for those who suffer from insomnia up there... or would it be better? 

Post edited by Sky77 on
    edited June 2016

Thank you taemimun for the kind words. 

Thank you Kismet2012, it has been moved. I had the stangest feling I made that move before,

oh well deja vu, now that would make an interesting challenge,

would make an interesting challenge.

deja vu... vu.   I've always thought deja vu should have a repeating syllable.... have I said that before already?  cheeky  

Post edited by Sky77 on

Thank you jonttex82 and Skywalker77. The theme for this month was a lucky break. 

I am retired but after fifty plus years of rising at dawn old habits are hard to change. I woke just before sunrise on June 1, made coffee pulled a tall chair to my front door, sipped and watched the sunrise.After breakfast I fired up the computer saw this theme and the rest was easy. The only difference between me and this render, she is a pretty young women seated on her back porch with her cat near by. I am an old man living in an apartment with no pets. But I do have a Southerly view and the relaxed pleased expression was much the same.

As for the high bar Skywalker77, I gave up drinking some 30 years ago but I still remember those high bars. I fell off of a few. Maybe that's why I gave up drinking.

I also have a question. If Lady Aiko runs into a witch doctor she thought she saw before, would that be deja voodoo.

Thank you jonttex82 and Skywalker77. The theme for this month was a lucky break. 

I am retired but after fifty plus years of rising at dawn old habits are hard to change. I woke just before sunrise on June 1, made coffee pulled a tall chair to my front door, sipped and watched the sunrise.After breakfast I fired up the computer saw this theme and the rest was easy. The only difference between me and this render, she is a pretty young women seated on her back porch with her cat near by. I am an old man living in an apartment with no pets. But I do have a Southerly view and the relaxed pleased expression was much the same.

As for the high bar Skywalker77, I gave up drinking some 30 years ago but I still remember those high bars. I fell off of a few. Maybe that's why I gave up drinking.

I also have a question. If Lady Aiko runs into a witch doctor she thought she saw before, would that be deja voodoo.

Ouch - that was baaad!  They need a "groan" emoji on this forum!  cheeky

Yeah, high bars can be treacherous that way!  Give me a nice cup of coffee and a gorgeous blonde... I mean sunrise... anyday!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Good render...deeleelaw57.

I have a major sense of deja vu.  I am possitive I checked the links and accepted this entry but I do not see my post anywhere.

@Kismet2012 You know I think there was something glitchy with the forum this morning.  I sent a PM to Taemimun for her HM prize this morning and that post completely disappeared as well!

Speaking of deja vu, @mjc1016 sign me up for two $5 Gift Cards for this Month's HMs. wink

edited June 2016

Photographing Nature

Dawn / the very early hours of the summer night are perfect for nature photographing, if you happen to have forest nearby and a bit of patience.

Not counting: Genesis 2 Male, Basic Hair, Genesis Child, Aldora Hair

# = requires free registration

1) Forest #
    2) Free Monarch Of The Glen - Stag 
    3) Free Hare 
    4) Blue Tit 
    5) 300 lens #
    6) Fennja's Mushrooms #
    7) G2M Jacket #
    8) EntrancingWings1 #
    9) WyldeWood for Genesis 1 #
    10) 5 Petal Fantasy Morphing Flower for Daz Studio 4.6 #
    11) Scatterd Fall Leaves.. Bryce obp & Wavefront Obj #

Rendered using Daz Pro 4.9 with iray.
    Postwork done with Gimp 2.8:
    * Adjusted lighting and colors a tiny bit
    * Added some fog and camera viewfinder image

naturegraphing4.png
    1067 x 878 - 1M
    naturegraphing6.png
    1067 x 878 - 1M
    edited June 2016
    jonttex82 said:

Photographing Nature

Dawn / the very early hours of the summer night are perfect for nature photographing, if you happen to have forest nearby and a bit of patience.

@jonttex82

Nice!  Great composition!  I really like the mist effect you added on.  

One thing you might want to try is to change the ambient on the background scene to white and bump it up to avoid the shadow effect on the corner.  That should give you a more even background. smiley

Post edited by Sky77 on
    jonttex82 said:

Photographing Nature

@jonttex82

One thing you might want to try is to change the ambient on the background scene to white and bump it up to avoid the shadow effect on the corner.  That should give you a more even background. smiley

Not really sure, what do you mean, but the lighting is pretty much how I want it to be and using ambient-setting is useless with iray.

Very nice jonttex82 and thanks for the link to the camera I have a need for it in another reander.

jonttex82 said:

Photographing Nature

Not counting: Genesis 2 Male, Basic Hair, Genesis Child, Aldora Hair

1) Forest #
    2) Free Monarch Of The Glen - Stag 
    3) Free Hare 
    4) Blue Tit 
    5) 300 lens #
    6) Fennja's Mushrooms #
    7) G2M Jacket #
    8) EntrancingWings1 #
    9) WyldeWood for Genesis 1 #
    10) 5 Petal Fantasy Morphing Flower for Daz Studio 4.6 #
    11) Scatterd Fall Leaves.. Bryce obp & Wavefront Obj #

Rendered using Daz Pro 4.9 with iray.
    Postwork done with Gimp 2.8:
    * Adjusted lighting and colors a tiny bit
    * Added some fog and camera viewfinder image

I wonder if he realizes what is going to show up in that picture.

All links verified.

ENTRY ACCEPTED

Please move to Entry Thread

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited June 2016

Or so they say

G2F

01)* Pjs
    02)  Renella Hair
    03)* Hair Fits for G2F

SCENE

04)* Big Family House
    05)* Rattan Chair
    06)* Rattan Table
    07)* mil cat texture
    08)* Coffee Set
    09)* Fence
    10)  Curtain
    12)  Marigold
    14)* Garden Cupboard
    15)* Birdhouse

Paid Item
    Mil Cat LE

No Count 
    G2F

2 spot lights
    All work in DAZ 4.9
    no post work

What a beautiful sun rise setting truely amazing!!!

jonttex82 said:
    jonttex82 said:

Photographing Nature

@jonttex82

Not really sure, what do you mean, but the lighting is pretty much how I want it to be and using ambient-setting is useless with iray.

Sorry for the confusion!  I couldn't advise anyone on iray as I have yet to do anything with it except run a handful of test renders.

The shadow I was referring to was the straight shadow line in the middle of the tree / bush prop that gives it a feeling of being a cardboard cutout.   Wiith PBL, I'm not sure how you would fix that without adding more lights or bumping up the sky lights which would of course wash out the scene or changing the rotation angle of the prop.

jonttex82 said:
    jonttex82 said:

Photographing Nature

@jonttex82

The shadow I was referring to was the straight shadow line in the middle of the tree / bush prop that gives it a feeling of being a cardboard cutout.   Wiith PBL, I'm not sure how you would fix that without adding more lights or bumping up the sky lights which would of course wash out the scene or changing the rotation angle of the prop.

Maybe it looks better now, I made a small postwork adjustment to it. And that tree / bush in question actually is a 2D-item, so it basically is a cardboard cutout.

edited June 2016
    jonttex82 said:
    jonttex82 said:
    jonttex82 said:

Photographing Nature

@jonttex82

Maybe it looks better now, I made a small postwork adjustment to it. And that tree / bush in question actually is a 2D-item, so it basically is a cardboard cutout.

Yes, the lighting on the leaves definitely looks more natural.  yes  I figured it was a low res background tree.  I've run into that issue innumerable times with simple props.  The other thing that might help is to use a tiny bit of gaussian blur or a softening brush just along the fold line to make the shadow transition less abrupt.

Post edited by Sky77 on

Thank you mcj1016 and Saphirewild for your comments.

Skywalker lighting in Iray is irritating, will cause your hair to fall out and is a lot of fun. I use Iray and even if I know how the render should look and I have all the parts it still takes a while to set up just like any other render. Then comes the lighting. I can plan on spending as much time or more on lighting as I did on set up. I learned a lot from SickleYield's tutorials here and on DA, but you still need to apply what you read and spend much time experimenting. I have a couple of renders the lighting was never right. They are in my to be continued folder. The problem is Iray has to many dag-gum buttons and sliders, but I won't rest until I've tweaked and poked them all.

Thank you mcj1016 and Saphirewild for your comments.

Skywalker lighting in Iray is irritating, will cause your hair to fall out and is a lot of fun. I use Iray and even if I know how the render should look and I have all the parts it still takes a while to set up just like any other render. Then comes the lighting. I can plan on spending as much time or more on lighting as I did on set up. I learned a lot from SickleYield's tutorials here and on DA, but you still need to apply what you read and spend much time experimenting. I have a couple of renders the lighting was never right. They are in my to be continued folder. The problem is Iray has to many dag-gum buttons and sliders, but I won't rest until I've tweaked and poked them all.

I agree, the Iray control panel is quite daunting especially for someone like me who has absolutely no idea what half of those slider labels even mean.  The funny thing is that's also how I felt the first time I looked at the 3Delight control panel... and the surfaces tab... and the shaping tab... etc!   I am afraid to even look at the morphing brush!   LOL!    But I have to applaud DAZ for having a built in physical based renderer for free.  

edited June 2016

Hello... hellloo... helllloooo...

Echo.... echhoo... echhhhoooo....

Just peeking in to see if there's any new activity!  Carry on - nothing to see here!  cheeky

Post edited by Sky77 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I guess nobody is getting up at dawn...

mjc1016 said:

I guess nobody is getting up at dawn...

Generally, the only time I see dawn is if I stayed up from the night before.

edited June 2016

My 2nd entry. This is actually an extra one I made for the fairie-month, but never used.

Someone is Watching

Not counting: Genesis Child, Genesis 3 Female, Genesis 3 Male, Genesis 3 Male Basic Wear, Armani Hair, Dragon's Lair (Tree02+Ivy)

1) Forest #
    2) EntrancingWings1 #
    3) WyldeWood for Genesis 1 #
    4) Zelte und Rucksack (campfire) #
    5) Axes #
    6) WWII Tent City (one tent, retextured) #
    7) HD Infinite Rock #
    8) Large Tree #
    9) Fir Trees #
    10) Leaf Trees #
    11) Chopping Block 
    12) Bamboo Fishing Pole #
    13) Moon #
    14) Old Trees for Daz 4.6 and Poser 10 #

Sky made with Bryce 7.1 pro.
    Rendered in Daz Studio 4.9.
    No postwork.

someoneiswatchingOut.png
    1067 x 878 - 2M
  • selias19selias19 Posts: 252

I'm working on something but somehow I cannot get any satisfying result. Hopefully I will be able to post before the month is over.

Beautiful entry jonttex82

~ Sigrid

jonttex82 said:

My 2nd entry. This is actually an extra one I made for the fairie-month, but never used.

Someone is Watching

Not counting: Genesis Child, Genesis 3 Female, Genesis 3 Male, Genesis 3 Male Basic Wear, Armani Hair, Dragon's Lair (Tree02+Ivy)

1) Forest #
    2) EntrancingWings1 #
    3) WyldeWood for Genesis 1 #
    4) Zelte und Rucksack (campfire) #
    5) Axes #
    6) WWII Tent City (one tent, retextured) #
    7) HD Infinite Rock #
    8) Large Tree #
    9) Fir Trees #
    10) Leaf Trees #
    11) Chopping Block