June 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Scenes and Landscapes” – WIP Thread

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    bungle said:

Here's version b. I changed out the IBL, and added the craft flying around through the upper right window.  It might look like it's about to crash through the glass, but it is actualy at x=7462.850,y=2430.737,z=-9544.051. The dang thing is about as large as the room we're in for crying out loud.

Already a huge improvement over your initial image.

I like the angle of the ship.

I am looking forward to seeing how this image develops.

Here's version b. I changed out the IBL, and added the craft flying around through the upper right window.  It might look like it's about to crash through the glass, but it is actualy at x=7462.850,y=2430.737,z=-9544.051. The dang thing is about as large as the room we're in for crying out loud.

This looks awesome. I had a possibly fun idea because it looks so desolate. If you lowered the camera and tilted it, and then had a lifeless arm (or alien arm) extending out from near the camera lying in a pool of blood or goo, it would look like everyone on the base had been executed. Then you could turn the ship around and show the thrusters, like they were a departing hit squad. Trying to think of the easiest way to do a pool of blood, I think you could use a primitive plane, and then use an opacity mask ( i think its under Iray geometry). Use gimp or photoshop to create a black square then draw the shape of the puddle in white. White = Opaque, Black = Transparent. You'd have to test it, maybe even use gray at the edges for semi-transparent. You could use a liquid normal or bump map (google search) to texture the surface and an iray goo shader. Just an idea.

Or maybe I could do as you suggest with the camera and such like, but leave the craft as is. Rather than being the reason for what we see, they could be coming to investigate why contact has been lost.

-=-

Here's two versions of version c, following along with my last comment.

Nice work Shinji.  Just my personal opinion but I like the first one best.  It has a more forlorn, abandoned, the rescurers are arriving too late feel. 

The legs of the soldier/invader in the 2nd version are a little distracting for me personally.

One posing suggestion.  If the model allows, curl the fingers on the hand so they are resting in the pool of blood.  I am assuming the alien is dead with that suggestion.  If you want to convey that he may still be allive try straightening the fingers like he is reaching towards or trying to signal the ship for help.  Maybe even raise the entire arm a little bit off the floor.

I'm kind of leaning in the direction of the first one as well myself. I only rendered the second becouse of a streay thought that I had after the first was finished rendering, and I should have been in fact trying to get some sleep so I'd be rested for work today. I'll look back when I get home this afternoon and see if I have any other feedback to consider before doing anything with things.

I hate those stray thoughts.  You just have to try them.  Stayed up way later than I should have on many occassion because of them.

• bungle said:

This looks awesome. I had a possibly fun idea because it looks so desolate. If you lowered the camera and tilted it, and then had a lifeless arm (or alien arm) extending out from near the camera lying in a pool of blood or goo, it would look like everyone on the base had been executed. Then you could turn the ship around and show the thrusters, like they were a departing hit squad. Trying to think of the easiest way to do a pool of blood, I think you could use a primitive plane, and then use an opacity mask ( i think its under Iray geometry). Use gimp or photoshop to create a black square then draw the shape of the puddle in white. White = Opaque, Black = Transparent. You'd have to test it, maybe even use gray at the edges for semi-transparent. You could use a liquid normal or bump map (google search) to texture the surface and an iray goo shader. Just an idea.

Or maybe I could do as you suggest with the camera and such like, but leave the craft as is. Rather than being the reason for what we see, they could be coming to investigate why contact has been lost.

-=-

Nice work Shinji.  Just my personal opinion but I like the first one best.  It has a more forlorn, abandoned, the rescurers are arriving too late feel. 

The legs of the soldier/invader in the 2nd version are a little distracting for me personally.

One posing suggestion.  If the model allows, curl the fingers on the hand so they are resting in the pool of blood.  I am assuming the alien is dead with that suggestion.  If you want to convey that he may still be allive try straightening the fingers like he is reaching towards or trying to signal the ship for help.  Maybe even raise the entire arm a little bit off the floor.

I'm kind of leaning in the direction of the first one as well myself. I only rendered the second becouse of a streay thought that I had after the first was finished rendering, and I should have been in fact trying to get some sleep so I'd be rested for work today. I'll look back when I get home this afternoon and see if I have any other feedback to consider before doing anything with things.

I hate those stray thoughts.  You just have to try them.  Stayed up way later than I should have on many occassion because of them.

I remember one afternoon back in 2011 while at work I had one of them for a fan-art thread for a rpg that I play. Stupid idea stayed stuck there until I dealt with it at about 3 in the morning with a morning shift. Try as I might I couldn't just sleep on the dang thing. Had to laugh at some of the coments I got though later on.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

A sci-fi aircraft wouldn't necessary be out of place in the image. The city in the background might as well be something from the future as it could be contemporary. If sci-fi, it becomes a nice contrast with a futuristic background and an older foreground. Just a thought.

Hmm. I kinda like that idea. Any city has a mixture of old and new. I'll definitely think about it... Going to look at my inventory and see what I have.

A DC10 on ShareCG

Air New Zealand Airliner on ShareCG

Basic Commercial Airliner on Renderosity

A different DC10 on Renderosity

There are more at Renderosity.  I used "airliner" in the search parameters of their free stuff section.

Oooh, cool! Thanks!
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    dracorn said:

OK here's the cityscape (Dystopia City Blocks) and sky (Skies of Economy) added.  It's already taking 5 minutes to render on my powerhouse computer, so I'm expecting the final to take a while after I add people and props.

This is really coming along!  I like it so far.  I really like Isidorn's idea of something in the sky.  Whether you choose a spacecraft or a plane, I think something in the far distance would look great!

bungle said:

-=-

I kind of like the first one better.  I think there is something a little more dramatic and kind of lonely to it.

I was going to skip this month, but it seems I'm a glutton for punishment and I have some ideas so it looks like I'll be giving this month's theme a try.  I should have some king of start up by tomorrow.  Looking good guys!

A DC10 on ShareCG

There are more at Renderosity.  I used "airliner" in the search parameters of their free stuff section.

Well, the free airliners don't work for me.  They are for Bryce, Vue or Blender.  Others are free textures for a plane that must be purchased, and I don't feel like spending $8 to $15 for a background object.  However, I did find a free airplane brush set for Photoshop - that may just do the trick.

dracorn said:

A DC10 on ShareCG

Well, the free airliners don't work for me.  They are for Bryce, Vue or Blender.  Others are free textures for a plane that must be purchased, and I don't feel like spending $8 to $15 for a background object.  However, I did find a free airplane brush set for Photoshop - that may just do the trick.

My bad Dracorn.  I should have verified which program they were for. 

I'll go sit in the corner and think about what I have done.

dracorn said:

A DC10 on ShareCG

My bad Dracorn.  I should have verified which program they were for. 

I'll go sit in the corner and think about what I have done.

I appreciate you effort, none the less.
  • dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited June 2016

Planes?  I think I have a couple plane models...

Yes!  Here they are!

They were free.  I've had them for a couple years.  If I can track down where I got them, I will post the link.  I also managed to scrounge up a couple helicopter models, and an airliner or 2. 

These jet fighters look like they need to be attacking something...an alien spaceship or an Avenger or something.  Have to think about that...

This is an Iray render.  I always have trouble balancing the light.  Scenes look too dark...

Oh, and I tried Dracorn's trick of rendering in layers.  The city and skyline were done first, then the planes were added next.  Then a little bit of post to get the jet engine glow.

JetFighterAttack2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 460K
    Post edited by dHandle on

Try this link for free aircraft models.  On many of them, you have the option to download several different formats.  I always get the .obj file because it imports directly into D/S.

They usually need to be fiddled with to get the Mats looking right, but the jets in my last render were complete and imported into D/S with no adjustment at all.  I did have to adjust the scale from 100% to 1000% on import for a couple of them.  I tried a bunch before deciding on which jet to use, so I'm not sure if this one needed bumped to 1000% or not.

Let me know if you need help getting it to work.

http://tf3dm.com/3d-models/aircraft

dHandle said:

Planes?  I think I have a couple plane models...

Yes!  Here they are!

They were free.  I've had them for a couple years.  If I can track down where I got them, I will post the link.  I also managed to scrounge up a couple helicopter models, and an airliner or 2. 

These jet fighters look like they need to be attacking something...an alien spaceship or an Avenger or something.  Have to think about that...

This is an Iray render.  I always have trouble balancing the light.  Scenes look too dark...

Oh, and I tried Dracorn's trick of rendering in layers.  The city and skyline were done first, then the planes were added next.  Then a little bit of post to get the jet engine glow.

King Kong hanging from the Empire State Building perhaps?  Empire State Building

Those jets do look like they need a target.  Military jets do not general fly in a city's airspace without a good reason.

Great looking image so far.  Have you tried adjusting the Tone Mapping settings?  With lower light you generally need to adjust the Film ISO, Shutter speed and F/Stop.  Searching Digital Camera Settings can help.  This link tries to show the effects changing these settings can have on an image.

Hi Kismet,

Yes, I did adjust the tone mapping settings to get this result. The city and skyline were pre-rendered. I dropped the ISO from 100 to 50, and the F stop from 8.0 to 5.6 for teh jets.  That lightened them up so they pop out against the background a bit, but I think it still needs color grading to match everything up.

That's the thing about night images.  It's dark at night!

King Kong!  Good thought!  Have to look around for a model...

edited June 2016
    dHandle said:

Hi Kismet,

Yes, I did adjust the tone mapping settings to get this result. The city and skyline were pre-rendered. I dropped the ISO from 100 to 50, and the F stop from 8.0 to 5.6 for teh jets.  That lightened them up so they pop out against the background a bit, but I think it still needs color grading to match everything up.

Thanks for the models, dHandle. I'll check them out. For King Kong, you could try Gorilla for Genesis. As far as your jets are concerned, try adding a spotlight to make them pop out a little more. Is your city a photo or a model? Of it's a model, what is it? It looks great. Wonderful line of smog there.
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • KaliadderKaliadder Posts: 69
    2 questions: 1) are these contests limited only to still life, or can I also submit animation? 2) does landscape by perchance include deep space?
    dracorn said:
    dHandle said:

Hi Kismet,

Thanks for the models, dHandle. I'll check them out. For King Kong, you could try Gorilla for Genesis. As far as your jets are concerned, try adding a spotlight to make them pop out a little more. Is your city a photo or a model? Of it's a model, what is it? It looks great. Wonderful line of smog there.

Thanks, Dracorn. The city is a combination of 3D models (in the foreground) and a photo of New York City with skyline in the background. The model of the Empire State Building is probably out of place. I didn't do my geography homework. If you look closely, you can see the line where the models end and the photo begins. The windows in the buildings in the photo are all lit up. The model windows aren't lit the same. I have no idea how to fix that. The city models are from Video Copilot...the Metropolitan model pack for Element 3D. It's really designed for video compositing in Adobe - After Effects. I just modify them for use in D/S.
    Kaliadder said:
    2 questions: 1) are these contests limited only to still life, or can I also submit animation? 2) does landscape by perchance include deep space?

Still images only as far as I know.  The Challenge is Scenes and Landscapes.  Deep Space would fall under scene I believe.

• bunglebungle Posts: 38
    bungle said:

-=-

That looks really nice. How did you end up making the blood pool? While the soldier looks good, I would hesitate to obfuscate too much of the scenery. It seems like the judges are going to primarily judge on the scenery and landscape. Your spaceport/cafe scene looks nice, I would put most of my attention on the landscape in the background. While the clouds look nice, I bet you could make some surreal looking scene with a close planetary surface out part of the view and deep space or even part of a sun out the rest. I'm thinking planetary rings, Interstellar dust, maybe part of a nebula. Just thoughts.

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited June 2016

I've been looking at Vue for some other reasons, and while I've been considering it, the opportunity arose last week on the bestseller sale to pick up Bryce Pro for under $7.  So I figured I'd play with it to see if I really thought I'd use a more landscape focused product.

Thanks to @davidbrinnen and his absolutely fantastic series of video tutorials, I'm coming to appreciate what can be done with Bryce.  Here's an early attempt....

Canyon2.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by TabascoJack on
    edited June 2016

I've been looking at Vue for some other reasons, and while I've been considering it, the opportunity arose last week on the bestseller sale to pick up Bryce Pro for under $7.  So I figured I'd play with it to see if I really thought I'd use a more landscape focused product.

Thanks to @davidbrinnen and his absolutely fantastic series of video tutorials, I'm coming to appreciate what can be done with Bryce.  Here's an early attempt....

So nice to see someone using Bryce.  I was hoping at least 1 person would with this challenge.

You have a great start going with this image.  Might I suggest an Eagle, Condor or some other large bird circling in the sky?  If you have something suitable in your Runtime.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    Kaliadder said:

Still images only as far as I know.  The Challenge is Scenes and Landscapes.  Deep Space would fall under scene I believe.

I'dunno, maybe a "spacescape?" If the ocean can be a seascape and the sky can be a skyscape, why not? If there are planetary bodies, nebulae or something to look at, that qualifies in my opinion. Go for it!
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

@TabascoJack  Great start!  I love that you're using Bryce.  I'm still trying to figure things out with it, but David Brennen's video tutorials are stellar!  I would not be as far along with learning to use Bryce without them!

edited June 2016
    dHandle said:

Try this link for free aircraft models.  On many of them, you have the option to download several different formats.  I always get the .obj file because it imports directly into D/S.

They usually need to be fiddled with to get the Mats looking right, but the jets in my last render were complete and imported into D/S with no adjustment at all.  I did have to adjust the scale from 100% to 1000% on import for a couple of them.  I tried a bunch before deciding on which jet to use, so I'm not sure if this one needed bumped to 1000% or not.

Let me know if you need help getting it to work.

http://tf3dm.com/3d-models/aircraft

This is great!  It's exactly what I need!

Northwest.jpg
    850 x 500 - 278K
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

great start with bryce! I like that you worked in some atmosphere at the distance. Waiting to see what you come up next with

• tcmeehantcmeehan Posts: 20
    edited June 2016

Hi everyone!

Everyone's image looks great this month and its only the 6th!  can't wait to see them by the end of the month.

The render I started for this month I want to call 'Coming Home'.  I plan to add a  boat and a viking to the foreground.  Which property of my skydome would I adjust to get a little more light into my scene?  i don't want to change how bright the background is, only lighten up my objects.

All input is wecome!

Thanks!

comingHome3.jpg
    800 x 300 - 181K
    Post edited by tcmeehan on
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited June 2016

So nice to see someone using Bryce.  I was hoping at least 1 person would with this challenge.

You have a great start going with this image.  Might I suggest an Eagle, Condor or some other large bird circling in the sky?  If you have something suitable in your Runtime.

I don't have any large birds...but I do have some spaceships...

Follow the Leader

Follow the Leader@0,75x.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • MendomanMendoman Posts: 400

Hello all, here's my this month's first draft. It's a sunrise from our summer cottage

test4.jpg
    1920 x 1358 - 3M
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    Mendoman said:

Hello all, here's my this month's first draft. It's a sunrise from our summer cottage

WOW what an amazing start to your render @Mendoman , could I make a suggestion? I would use a nice big boat with passengers climbing onto it maybe even some children running to the boat maybe the Captian peeking out from the bridge waving at the passengers as they board. Can not wait to see the finished render :D

I don't have any large birds...but I do have some spaceships...

Follow the Leader

That works. 

tcmeehan said:

Hi everyone!

Everyone's image looks great this month and its only the 6th!  can't wait to see them by the end of the month.

The render I started for this month I want to call 'Coming Home'.  I plan to add a  boat and a viking to the foreground.  Which property of my skydome would I adjust to get a little more light into my scene?  i don't want to change how bright the background is, only lighten up my objects.

All input is wecome!

Thanks!

Are you using 3Delight or Iray?

Mendoman said:

What a beautiful, tranquil scene.  Wish I was sitting on the end of that dock.