June 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Scenes and Landscapes” – WIP Thread

Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

New User's Contest - June 2016
Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

"Scenes and Landscapes"

This month's focus will be scenes and landscapes. If you haven't noticed when you look at images made by the various 3D software some of the packages do a lot better then others in treating an expansive scene or a magnificent landscape. Ones that come to mind are software such as Bryce or Vue. Both have some built in features that make those wonderfully big expansive images come true. DAZ Studio on the other hand does not have any handy dandy features built into it but if you know the tricks there is no reason why you can't get those same kinds of results. For this contest we will be exploring the principles of how such scenes and landscapes are built and how to control the environment to create the sense of expansiveness a scene or landscape creates for the viewer.

There are some key elements that should be considered when creating a landscape, they are the inspiration, lighting, perspective and depth of focus. I have gathered some links for you that talk about each of these elements.

Inspiration:

Photos and Renders:
Landscapes
starscape photography

Perspective and Depth of Focus:

What a Painter Considers
What a Photographer Considers

Transform 3D Renders: Part 1
http://blog.advancedphotoshop.co.uk/tutorials/transform-3d-renders-part-1/
Transform 3D Renders: Part 2
http://blog.advancedphotoshop.co.uk/tutorials/transform-3d-renders-part-2/

Bryce 7

Bryce 7 Demo Reel

Things to consider when setting up your landscape:

As stated by Jon A. Bell in his book, 3ds max 6 Killer Tips, "For more realistic outdoor scenes, especially if you're seeing a distant horizon, you should always add a slight amount of atmospheric haze.... If you look at a distant mountain range (or if you don't have one right outside your window, just grab a travel magazine or pretend), you'll notice how colors become muted and washed out with distance. You can use just a slight amount of atmospheric fog (it depends on the scale of your scene), and the colors will determine the clarity or quality of your "atmosphere." For clear outdoor settings, using a slight bit of white fog is desirable; for sunset or urban settings (where the air might be more polluted), a slight yellowish or reddish cast makes your horizons look better." In DAZ Studio you have a couple of options in getting that affect. The first would be to add just a tiny bit of DOF so that the objects become a bit more blurred and muted. Another way is to have a volumetric camera that will add the fog feature to the render.

Lighting:

Approaching Realism in DAZ Studio and Gamma Correction Demystified
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54913/

Using HDR Files In DAZ Studio 3delight renders https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okaYS1jeAew
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37753/

Bryce 7.1

Bryce Landscaping

Bryce Basics

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread : Contest Rules.
To enter the contest, please post your completed image to the Entry Thread.

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

Closing Date: June 30, 2016

Post edited by Kismet2012 on

Comments

• Here's the start of an idea.  Thinking of trying to do something outside of the windows.

june2016a.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 481K
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited June 2016

I'm in the same place, Shinji - just setting up the scene - don't even have a background yet, and this is temporary lighting.

I did some major material replacement for the Shelter and the lamps, being I didn't want a snowy scene.  The whole thing will be kit-bashing galore.  I didn't have a plain glass shader (or haven't the foggiest where to find one, so I replaced the glass with a glass prop from Shattered.  The wall and ground are from Democrates and Cheriocrates.

Morning Routine 05.jpg
    850 x 500 - 278K
    Post edited by dracorn on

Here's the start of an idea.  Thinking of trying to do something outside of the windows.

Quick suggestion - how about something with a different hue, since your scene is monocromatic.  How about having some sort of vehicle flying by?

• dracorn said:

Here's the start of an idea.  Thinking of trying to do something outside of the windows.

Quick suggestion - how about something with a different hue, since your scene is monocromatic.  How about having some sort of vehicle flying by?

That's what I was thinking. What we're seeing outside is an IBL background.

P.S. I like what you have so far. What render engine are you using? If it's Iray like I am, there are glass shaders out there in the store.

• Here's version b. I changed out the IBL, and added the craft flying around through the upper right window.  It might look like it's about to crash through the glass, but it is actualy at x=7462.850,y=2430.737,z=-9544.051. The dang thing is about as large as the room we're in for crying out loud.

june2016b.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 713K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Great starts.  Not sure I can participate this month since I will be gone for over a week....

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Here's version b. I changed out the IBL, and added the craft flying around through the upper right window.  It might look like it's about to crash through the glass, but it is actualy at x=7462.850,y=2430.737,z=-9544.051. The dang thing is about as large as the room we're in for crying out loud.

Already a huge improvement over your initial image.

I like the angle of the ship.

I am looking forward to seeing how this image develops.

dracorn said:

I'm in the same place, Shinji - just setting up the scene - don't even have a background yet, and this is temporary lighting.

I did some major material replacement for the Shelter and the lamps, being I didn't want a snowy scene.  The whole thing will be kit-bashing galore.  I didn't have a plain glass shader (or haven't the foggiest where to find one, so I replaced the glass with a glass prop from Shattered.  The wall and ground are from Democrates and Cheriocrates.

You have a nice perspective going with the line of the fence drawing the eye to the left of the image. 

There are so many possibilities here depending on the background you choose.

Really looking forward to seeing where you take this.

I'm going to try a cityscape behind. My idea was to have this grand urban Vista and then tune in to a local scene in the front. I'm using 3Delight. There's probably some 3DL glass sharers out there, but I was pretty tired last night and gave up.
  • dracorn said:
    I'm going to try a cityscape behind. My idea was to have this grand urban Vista and then tune in to a local scene in the front. I'm using 3Delight. There's probably some 3DL glass sharers out there, but I was pretty tired last night and gave up.

If you have an acount there, I found this over at Renderocity. I actualy bought them myself before Iray came out.

dracorn said:

If you have an acount there, I found this over at Renderocity. I actualy bought them myself before Iray came out.

Thanks. I took a look. I have glass shaders, but they are all colored fancy glass. Wonder if I can find one that I can remove the color for clear glass?
  • bunglebungle Posts: 38

Here's version b. I changed out the IBL, and added the craft flying around through the upper right window.  It might look like it's about to crash through the glass, but it is actualy at x=7462.850,y=2430.737,z=-9544.051. The dang thing is about as large as the room we're in for crying out loud.

This looks awesome. I had a possibly fun idea because it looks so desolate. If you lowered the camera and tilted it, and then had a lifeless arm (or alien arm) extending out from near the camera lying in a pool of blood or goo, it would look like everyone on the base had been executed. Then you could turn the ship around and show the thrusters, like they were a departing hit squad. Trying to think of the easiest way to do a pool of blood, I think you could use a primitive plane, and then use an opacity mask ( i think its under Iray geometry). Use gimp or photoshop to create a black square then draw the shape of the puddle in white. White = Opaque, Black = Transparent. You'd have to test it, maybe even use gray at the edges for semi-transparent. You could use a liquid normal or bump map (google search) to texture the surface and an iray goo shader. Just an idea.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Check sharecg for glass shaders too. 

There are these glass shaders available on ShareCG:  

Realist Glass Shader with Absorption 

Ultimate Shader Pack

• bungle said:

This looks awesome. I had a possibly fun idea because it looks so desolate. If you lowered the camera and tilted it, and then had a lifeless arm (or alien arm) extending out from near the camera lying in a pool of blood or goo, it would look like everyone on the base had been executed. Then you could turn the ship around and show the thrusters, like they were a departing hit squad. Trying to think of the easiest way to do a pool of blood, I think you could use a primitive plane, and then use an opacity mask ( i think its under Iray geometry). Use gimp or photoshop to create a black square then draw the shape of the puddle in white. White = Opaque, Black = Transparent. You'd have to test it, maybe even use gray at the edges for semi-transparent. You could use a liquid normal or bump map (google search) to texture the surface and an iray goo shader. Just an idea.

Or maybe I could do as you suggest with the camera and such like, but leave the craft as is. Rather than being the reason for what we see, they could be coming to investigate why contact has been lost.

There are these glass shaders available on ShareCG:  

Realist Glass Shader with Absorption 

Ultimate Shader Pack

OK, I downloaded and tried both of them out.  Realistic Glass Shader only works with an HDRI set, and I don't have one that works for my scene.

Ultimate Shader Pack is very cool - I like these shaders.  The glass shaders do work, but they are not as transparent as the glass pane from Shattered, so I will stick with that one 'cause I like the way it looks better. 

Thanks for sending the links.  I can never have too many shaders!

edited June 2016

OK here's the cityscape (Dystopia City Blocks) and sky (Skies of Economy) added.  It's already taking 5 minutes to render on my powerhouse computer, so I'm expecting the final to take a while after I add people and props.

Morning Routine with City.jpg
    850 x 500 - 259K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    dracorn said:

OK here's the cityscape (Dystopia City Blocks) and sky (Skies of Economy) added.  It's already taking 5 minutes to render on my powerhouse computer, so I'm expecting the final to take a while after I add people and props.

This is really starting to take shape Dracorn it is sure going to be interesting to see where it goes from here!!!

• dracorn said:

Nice work friend, nice. Like Saphirewild said, can't wait to see were you go.

• bungle said:

Or maybe I could do as you suggest with the camera and such like, but leave the craft as is. Rather than being the reason for what we see, they could be coming to investigate why contact has been lost.

-=-

Here's two versions of version c, following along with my last comment.

june2016c.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 744K
    june2016c2.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 727K
  • HollokoHolloko Posts: 75

Wow! I've been reading the tutorials on using a 2d application (photoshop) to Transform 3d renders and I must say I have almost no clue what the author is talking about! I don't have photoshop, but I've wanted to learn how to use gimp. It looks like I will be spending a lot of time reading introductory tutorials this month. We are making an international move this month so not sure I'll have time to actually produce anything.

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited June 2016
    Holloko said:

Wow! I've been reading the tutorials on using a 2d application (photoshop) to Transform 3d renders and I must say I have almost no clue what the author is talking about! I don't have photoshop, but I've wanted to learn how to use gimp. It looks like I will be spending a lot of time reading introductory tutorials this month. We are making an international move this month so not sure I'll have time to actually produce anything.

Well, I guess you should look at this tutorial as an inspiration and not as step by step guide.

Quote from the Tutorial:

Common problem of 3D renders is their ideality especially in lighting. So let’s make the lighting of the plane more natural. Create a new clipped layer in Overlay mode. Select the Brush tool and paint shadows and highlights with a soft black & white brush.

... hmm ... ??? laugh

Nevermind, as far as a Photoshop to GIMP translation goes, it is time consuming to translate a whole Photoshop tutorial over to GIMP. If you ask specific questions, pretty sure someone can provide the necessary GIMP commands or an acceptable workaround.

To expand your posibilities in GIMP, you may consider the G´mic Plug-In ( http://gmic.eu/ ) , Photivo ( http://photivo.org/ ) and the standalone FotoSketcher ( http://fotosketcher.com/ ).

But it was told in previous New User Contests, that postwork is not the goal of the contest. If you do an excessive amount of postwork, you have to post both the plain render and the final version as your entry. Please correct me if I am wrong and it was mentioned otherwise in the meantime.

Post edited by MN-150374 on
    bungle said:

-=-

Nice work Shinji.  Just my personal opinion but I like the first one best.  It has a more forlorn, abandoned, the rescurers are arriving too late feel. 

The legs of the soldier/invader in the 2nd version are a little distracting for me personally.

One posing suggestion.  If the model allows, curl the fingers on the hand so they are resting in the pool of blood.  I am assuming the alien is dead with that suggestion.  If you want to convey that he may still be allive try straightening the fingers like he is reaching towards or trying to signal the ship for help.  Maybe even raise the entire arm a little bit off the floor.

dracorn said:

I have more free glass shaders in my runtime but could not find the links.  If I manage to track them down I will give you the links.  I agree.  I can never have too many shaders.

The addition of the skyline is great.  Really gives a sense of scale and feel.  I really want to see a plane in the distance and maybe some birds around the shelter. 

Just suggestions.

Hee hee... That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'm going to put an old man on the bench feeding birds. I just picked up Bird packages over at Hivewire and am eager to use them. I may have to Photoshop a plane because I don't have a 3D one. I've got LOTS of sci fi planes and even some steampunk ones, but no airliner or helicopter. I invested heavily in fantasy rather than contemporary, but my ideas for the contests extend beyond that. Maybe I should rethink my purchases.
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    dracorn said:
    Hee hee... That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'm going to put an old man on the bench feeding birds. I just picked up Bird packages over at Hivewire and am eager to use them. I may have to Photoshop a plane because I don't have a 3D one. I've got LOTS of sci fi planes and even some steampunk ones, but no airliner or helicopter. I invested heavily in fantasy rather than contemporary, but my ideas for the contests extend beyond that. Maybe I should rethink my purchases.

A sci-fi aircraft wouldn't necessary be out of place in the image. The city in the background might as well be something from the future as it could be contemporary. If sci-fi, it becomes a nice contrast with a futuristic background and an older foreground. Just a thought.

edited June 2016
    Holloko said:

I ran into the same problem: found lots of tutorials on Photoshop, but had a hard time translating that into GIMP. I finally got the Photoshop subscription for $10 a month. Can't beat that. A free 13 hour tutorial comes with it. GIMP is fine if you want free software, but it's clunky compared to Photoshop.
    isidorn said:
    dracorn said:

A sci-fi aircraft wouldn't necessary be out of place in the image. The city in the background might as well be something from the future as it could be contemporary. If sci-fi, it becomes a nice contrast with a futuristic background and an older foreground. Just a thought.

And if it is far enough in the distance just need a general outline of a plane. 

Also, the month is still young.  You never know what might go on sale.  Or show up in FG.

A DC10 on ShareCG

Air New Zealand Airliner on ShareCG

Basic Commercial Airliner on Renderosity

A different DC10 on Renderosity

There are more at Renderosity.  I used "airliner" in the search parameters of their free stuff section.

• bungle said:

-=-

Nice work Shinji.  Just my personal opinion but I like the first one best.  It has a more forlorn, abandoned, the rescurers are arriving too late feel. 

The legs of the soldier/invader in the 2nd version are a little distracting for me personally.

One posing suggestion.  If the model allows, curl the fingers on the hand so they are resting in the pool of blood.  I am assuming the alien is dead with that suggestion.  If you want to convey that he may still be allive try straightening the fingers like he is reaching towards or trying to signal the ship for help.  Maybe even raise the entire arm a little bit off the floor.

I'm kind of leaning in the direction of the first one as well myself. I only rendered the second becouse of a streay thought that I had after the first was finished rendering, and I should have been in fact trying to get some sleep so I'd be rested for work today. I'll look back when I get home this afternoon and see if I have any other feedback to consider before doing anything with things.