Why doesn't Daz tell me when I have bought something before?

drifterleedrifterlee Posts: 2
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Why doesn't Daz tell me when I have bought something before? Daz used to say when I already purchased something and the order no. which helped me from buying things twice. It no longer does that. Why? It was very helpful.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It is high on the list of features to add, but currently most of the web team is busy bug-swatting.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited October 2012

Meanwhile (and who knows how long that will be), don't forget that they do have a 30 day money back guarantee.

*thinks Daz should have just sprayed bugspray at Magento and killed it months ago*

Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on
  • estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

30 days doesn't help me as I buy stuff I know I am going to need later. And I can easily buy the same thing twice but not install it for months.
    Normally it is such a small amount individually that I can't be bothered to write in about it. I guess that is why it isn't a high priority. I would call it a bug.
    Pity. It stops me shopping for anything except new stuff.
    Love esther

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited December 1969

If you're running Windows, this program may help out:

http://taosoft.dk/software/dazhm/

edited December 1969

Hi I am on a mac. I really wish the new website would just warn us when we are purchasing something we already have. Or at least have its file name so I can search my computer for it.
    Love esther

• myotherworldmyotherworld Posts: 567
    edited October 2012

Meanwhile (and who knows how long that will be), don't forget that they do have a 30 day money back guarantee.

*thinks Daz should have just sprayed bugspray at Magento and killed it months ago*

i do wish poeple would stop saying "30 day money back guarantee." its not a money back guarantee.,
    its a store credit.
    so you are still out of pocket until daz has something else you are interested in getting
    Post edited by myotherworld on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

SoulTaker said:

i do wish poeple would stop saying "30 day money back guarantee." its not a money back guarantee.,
    its a store credit.
    so you are still out of pocket until daz has something else you are interested in getting

That is up to you. You can ask for the money back to your bank account too.

• drifterleedrifterlee Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I am surprised Daz did not leave this in the website from before. I hope they include it soon. I have purchased so much stuff through the years no way do I remember it all!

edited December 1969

I wrote to them about this, and they said they can't ever make it work for all your previous purchases. ie when the site is working correctly and you buy something, you will get a warning when you try it again in the future, but it will never remember all your past purchases prior to the time when the website changed over. which is a pity because it really puts me off buying old content.
    Love esther

edited December 1969

esther said:
    I wrote to them about this, and they said they can't ever make it work for all your previous purchases.

Did they say "all" or "any"?

edited December 1969

what they said was that you won't get a warning if you try and buy something you bought before they changed their website over.
    They said it was going to work for new items that you buy from now on, but it doesn't anyway, and even if it did it wouldn't solve my problem.
    Lov esther

edited October 2012

esther said:
    what they said was that you won't get a warning if you try and buy something you bought before they changed their website over.
    They said it was going to work for new items that you buy from now on, but it doesn't anyway, and even if it did it wouldn't solve my problem.
    Lov esther

Well I'm pretty sure they can do it if they will, they just won't, for whatever reason...

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

maybe it suits them to have people buying the same stuff twice. I know i've done it lots of times.
    It's very annoying but i just think, oh well at least I supported the artist.
    Love esther

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Why would it suit them to have to deal with umpteen support tickets asking for refunds on accidental double purchases.

edited December 1969

well sometimes it is more than a year or even longer before I notice I have something twice. If it is something one has bought a long time ago then I am sure many would never notice they have bought it twice.

edited October 2012

esther said:
    well sometimes it is more than a year or even longer before I notice I have something twice. If it is something one has bought a long time ago then I am sure many would never notice they have bought it twice.

If you know someone with a PC you could throw the History Manager on a MemoryStick and download your history from their PC. It's saved in CSV format which can be opened in different programs where you can do a search. Just copy the product name from the product page, and use this for searching. That's how the search function inside the program works.

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

funnily enough I do know someone with a PC so that is something I should try.
    Thanks.
    Love esther

edited December 1969

Note that it's not 100% reliable as some product names have changed over time, but I believe it will work for about 98% of the products.

edited December 1969

yes and bundles have always been problematic as well.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

I *Do* check my order history before buying nowadays, but sady, sometimes the order history isn't that accurate. I bought ancient trees, and looked to see if I had it before buying, and my history didn't have it listed, so I bought it, (it was 99 cents and not a huge expense), but after I tried to install it, the installer says zoinks, do you want to remove the previous version.

I'll write them and ask for a refund, but, that takes days.

I feel sorry for their billing department. that must be tedious.

edited December 1969

maybe not so bad for them if more than half the people don't worry about the 99 cents or never notice what you noticed.

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

You can always check your Itemized Order History.

Coldrake

edited December 1969

actually coldrake, we can't. Have you tried it since the website change? You can't put in alphabetical or by date or search it anymore.

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

It's in alphabetical order. It's a bit more of a hassle than having it all on a single page, but I can find anything in my 1668 items in less than 20 seconds using the arrows and numbers at the top of the page.

Coldrake

edited December 1969

you probably have very much less stuff than me. i have tried this and it takes me longer. It is much harder work to buy something than it used to be because of this.

• edited December 1969

I created two files when I first started purchasing items way back when. The first is a table where I list the following information:

1. Item name
    2. Vendor(s)
    3. Purchase price
    4. Purchase date
    5. Disk Number - I burn them to DVDs and save a backup on an external drive under the same disk numbers and store names
    6. File names
    7. File sizes

and is categorized by store (i.e., DAZ, Renderosity, RDNA, etc.)

The second file is simply an alphabetical list of each item (and if purchased as part of a bundle, the bundle name in parentheses beside the items comprising the bundle) and the name of the store where it was purchased.

Both files are easily searchable, so I rarely make duplicate purchases. It generally only happens when I am sure I don’t have an item and don’t check to confirm whether or not I have it before making the purchase.

Unfortunately, this method would be impractical to implement for someone with a large purchase history simply due to the time involved to set up and organize it.

edited December 1969

I would never get around to that without a poser secretary. I have so much uninstalled content as well as installed.

• kmw_5213kmw_5213 Posts: 74
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    I would never get around to that without a poser secretary. I have so much uninstalled content as well as installed.

Absolutely agree. I have tens of thousands of models just from DAZ that aren't installed. And with DAZ changing filing conventions and other system alterations over the last decade, that warning really came in handy. The Account History is pretty useless for me as well. Without a sturdy search or category feature it can take forever to find an item. I've tried and always end up giving up.

So I don't spend a lot of time looking at older items that aren't already on my Wish List, and most of those don't really appeal to me anymore these days. I think when DAZ reveals whatever they have planned for Genesis and Poser (that's been hinted at in another thread) that my overall enthusiasm for DAZ may return to where it was pre-Gen. Not that I have any issues with post-Gen. Considering my typical yearly spending, I've likely saved thousands of dollars since Genesis premiered. I can only imagine the lengths I'd go to catch up if Genesis were suddenly a viable option for Poser. :)

edited December 1969

I am in the same boat. I see all the sales of old stuff and am tempted to browse, but the difficulty in checking to see whether I already have it or not, combined with the fact that as far as old stuff goes I probably have all of the stuff I want anyway, makes buying old stuff not really useful.
    New stuff such as big sets like the carnival are a lot of work to check I haven't bought parts of it already. Dreamhome if they made more add-ons would pose similar difficulties for me.
    Anyway I suspect if genesis ever works in poser there will be some big sales. If there is one thing DAZ does well it is sales.
    Love esther