Get Your Encrypted Daz Connect Content Here Thread - none at the moment 2018-01-30

Comments

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    edited May 2016
    DAZ_Rawb said:

@Daz_Rawb thanks, I was aware of the links but not aware of the download system. I still prefer my manual download and eating up hard drive space with my own backups of my downloads. I still recall when Daz removed a very specific material zone from a particilar item and I needed to have my backup to fix that issue ;) I will remain in full control of the assets I purchase otherwise I will not invest in them. However since Daz has the stance of releasing the encryption 1 year after release I will consider said items at that time.

Some of us do prefer to do things our way, even if it is the hard way because it empowers us and makes us comfortable and in control. I am not interested in faster ways to buy content, I just use Daz studio as a art tool and I don't want to mix it as a buying tool. 

I know I am a minority so its ok to ignore my rant ;) I still very much like Daz Studio. I just will avoid 4.9 as long as it is viable to do so. 

I definitely understand wanting to do things that you used to. I remember building shell scripts that would run on MP3's after I ripped them from my CD collection to name them very specifically with no funky letters or spaces and place them in a finely crafted directory tree. 

I still manually tag my MP3 before adding them to my library. I hate it when they are in the wrong generic genre and all that jazz. I don't let iTunes manage my music. It's much easier for me to find and use content once I have sorted it, the Daz mechanisms never worked for me(smart content yuck, inconsistent store sorting, yuck, databases that change regularly, yuck).

I totally understand the "secret plan". But for me the easiest way for me to manage the content I buy (and keep coming back) is when I have full control over it like all other stock assets I use for any other project. Whether its brushes, 2D assets or music files. Like I said I know I'm just an occasionally vocal minority. But I haven't said anything in a while and felt it was worth reiterating that my stance hasn't changed :) 

Yeah, and given that people have lost their music collections, including own recordings/compositions, because of iTunes 'managing' files, maybe that isn't the best argument in favour of Connect...

I know where my 3D content is, I know where my music files are, and I like it that way.

DAZ_Rawb said:

I can understand for a lot of users that this was a chore or hard to understand. While we could debate if users should be able to handle at least this much if they wish to use software, it's ultimately not something Daz wants as a barrier. And I understand that. I just can't be forced into using it. At least DIM was optional, excluding some DS betas.

I like options.

I use 4.9.1 entirely with the zip file manual install method. No DIM. No Connect. The PC isn't connected to the internet.

If 4.9.2 allows that, I will upgrade.

4.9.2 doesn't require Connect.

There you go, folks. No reason to not enjoy the benefits.

What are your favorite benefits. I haven't paid attention I months :) But when 4.9 first came out, I saw jack that benefited me. I don't use iRay, smart content or any of that. So it would have to be something else.

If you don't use any of these, there aren't many, no. I do use iRay, so that's my reason for 4.9, but ymmv.

Post edited by Nath on
  • lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    dkgoose said:

Sadly I can't use my encrypted content right now o updated studio and it needs to be activated again so I have to wait to borrow a phone again to be able to tether the Internet, it's been a while not being able to use stuff but it's not missed too much lol 

It blows my mind that people are okay with this suddenly being a problem for them.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Nath said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

@Daz_Rawb thanks, I was aware of the links but not aware of the download system. I still prefer my manual download and eating up hard drive space with my own backups of my downloads. I still recall when Daz removed a very specific material zone from a particilar item and I needed to have my backup to fix that issue ;) I will remain in full control of the assets I purchase otherwise I will not invest in them. However since Daz has the stance of releasing the encryption 1 year after release I will consider said items at that time.

Some of us do prefer to do things our way, even if it is the hard way because it empowers us and makes us comfortable and in control. I am not interested in faster ways to buy content, I just use Daz studio as a art tool and I don't want to mix it as a buying tool. 

I know I am a minority so its ok to ignore my rant ;) I still very much like Daz Studio. I just will avoid 4.9 as long as it is viable to do so. 

I definitely understand wanting to do things that you used to. I remember building shell scripts that would run on MP3's after I ripped them from my CD collection to name them very specifically with no funky letters or spaces and place them in a finely crafted directory tree. 

I still manually tag my MP3 before adding them to my library. I hate it when they are in the wrong generic genre and all that jazz. I don't let iTunes manage my music. It's much easier for me to find and use content once I have sorted it, the Daz mechanisms never worked for me(smart content yuck, inconsistent store sorting, yuck, databases that change regularly, yuck).

I totally understand the "secret plan". But for me the easiest way for me to manage the content I buy (and keep coming back) is when I have full control over it like all other stock assets I use for any other project. Whether its brushes, 2D assets or music files. Like I said I know I'm just an occasionally vocal minority. But I haven't said anything in a while and felt it was worth reiterating that my stance hasn't changed :) 

Yeah, and given that people have lost their music collections, including own recordings/compositions, because of iTunes 'managing' files, maybe that isn't the best argument in favour of Connect...

I know where my 3D content is, I know where my music files are, and I like it that way.

DAZ_Rawb said:

I can understand for a lot of users that this was a chore or hard to understand. While we could debate if users should be able to handle at least this much if they wish to use software, it's ultimately not something Daz wants as a barrier. And I understand that. I just can't be forced into using it. At least DIM was optional, excluding some DS betas.

I like options.

I use 4.9.1 entirely with the zip file manual install method. No DIM. No Connect. The PC isn't connected to the internet.

If 4.9.2 allows that, I will upgrade.

4.9.2 doesn't require Connect.

There you go, folks. No reason to not enjoy the benefits.

What are your favorite benefits. I haven't paid attention I months :) But when 4.9 first came out, I saw jack that benefited me. I don't use iRay, smart content or any of that. So it would have to be something else.

If you don't use any of these, there aren't many, no. I do use iRay, so that's my reason for 4.9, but ymmv.

3delight was also updated.

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 790

The worst part about Connect is that I don't use it at all yet the app complains every time I launch it that my configuration has changed even though it hasn't.

That should have been fixed with the previous version, 4.9.1.30, at the latest. If you still had 4.9.0.60 (or an older build, I can't recall when the fix came in) then it might well ahve doen that, and if you switched between that version and a later beta you would certainly have had that issue each time you switched. Using the 4.9.1.x and 4.9.2.x versions exclusively, whether beta or release, I haven't seen the behaviour for a long time.

I only use the most recent version of DAZ Studio. Same issue in the beta. It did it in 4.9.1 and still does it in 4.9.2.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Nester751 said:

Sorry, new to this. How does it affect things if it is encrypted or not? 

It doesn't affect general use or export options, though if you want to integrate the user files into your existing content rather than in a separate Daz Connect tree you will need to right-click on the folder under Daz Connect and use the Create Links command. It will stop you from directly editing the .duf or .dsf files for the product, however.

If you purchased an item for ownership, and are not redistributing it you should be able to change/tweak that item if it is for your own use. This DRM is like your purchases are just rented and too bad you can't tweak anything.

But you are renting DAZ products, even those that are not encrypted. Granted, it's a lifetime rental, but if you don't need the products that you've "purchased", you cannot delete them from your computer and sell them to someone else. Nor can you pass them on when you die. For example, I have a young girl helping me with my webcomic, but when I die, the comic dies with me since I can't leave the resources used in creating that comic to her.

Petercat said:
    Nester751 said:

It doesn't affect general use or export options, though if you want to integrate the user files into your existing content rather than in a separate Daz Connect tree you will need to right-click on the folder under Daz Connect and use the Create Links command. It will stop you from directly editing the .duf or .dsf files for the product, however.

If you purchased an item for ownership, and are not redistributing it you should be able to change/tweak that item if it is for your own use. This DRM is like your purchases are just rented and too bad you can't tweak anything.

But you are renting DAZ products, even those that are not encrypted. Granted, it's a lifetime rental, but if you don't need the products that you've "purchased", you cannot delete them from your computer and sell them to someone else. Nor can you pass them on when you die. For example, I have a young girl helping me with my webcomic, but when I die, the comic dies with me since I can't leave the resources used in creating that comic to her.

Now I'm imagining this as a super tragic tear-jerking plotline in the comic. How will she continue the story's legacy? Find out next episode!

lx said:
    Petercat said:
    Nester751 said:

Now I'm imagining this as a super tragic tear-jerking plotline in the comic. How will she continue the story's legacy? Find out next episode!

I'm hoping that by the time I die, she'll be wealthy enough to buy rent the content needed to continue without me. Provided it's still available at that time. Or else she'll write to DAZ and ask how big a check she has to send them in order to take over the lease on my content.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited May 2016

The worst part about Connect is that I don't use it at all yet the app complains every time I launch it that my configuration has changed even though it hasn't.

That should have been fixed with the previous version, 4.9.1.30, at the latest. If you still had 4.9.0.60 (or an older build, I can't recall when the fix came in) then it might well ahve doen that, and if you switched between that version and a later beta you would certainly have had that issue each time you switched. Using the 4.9.1.x and 4.9.2.x versions exclusively, whether beta or release, I haven't seen the behaviour for a long time.

Mine does that EVERY TIME. (Edit- I'm trying to find the version number. Don't think I had the right one.)

Post edited by Novica on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    Novica said:

Mine does that EVERY TIME. (Edit- I'm trying to find the version number. Don't think I had the right one.)

I only use the most recent version of DAZ Studio. Same issue in the beta. It did it in 4.9.1 and still does it in 4.9.2.

Please open a support ticket on your issues - as I said, there was an issue with (I think) the very first version of 4.9 but it should no longer be an issue if you have updated to 4.9.1+ and no longer open an older build of 4.9.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    lx said:
    dkgoose said:

Sadly I can't use my encrypted content right now o updated studio and it needs to be activated again so I have to wait to borrow a phone again to be able to tether the Internet, it's been a while not being able to use stuff but it's not missed too much lol 

It blows my mind that people are okay with this suddenly being a problem for them.

I'm not really ok with it, there's just not much I can do till I can borrow a phone or buy a different prepaid phone to tether the Internet to re authorize, I didn't use the content much anyway considering it was located in an area I rarely use 

• ChuckdozerChuckdozer Posts: 453

How many "connect only" items are there in the store at this time? 

No one knows because they refuse to give us any way to find out other than to check every product one by one.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305

At a guess, I would say some where between 10 and 20, so a tiny percentage of the total number of products available. Unfortunately I expect that number to grow.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Thank you! I added your list to the first message. I hope that is ok for you?

• ChuckdozerChuckdozer Posts: 453

Absolutely! You're most welcome! wink

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

Thanks Chuck, that explains why I never saw 3 freebies in my downloads! I knew about one of them immediately after I got it, but the other two I totally wasn't aware of. I don't always visit regularly for the freebies, and many of the times I don't download anything for months. So I don't always get the message. tHanks.

• Chanteur-de-VentChanteur-de-Vent Posts: 566
    edited May 2016

Those two are missing on the list:

http://www.daz3d.com/troubadour-for-genesis-2-male-s
    http://www.daz3d.com/troubadour-textures

Edit:

This one too: http://www.daz3d.com/lulu-outfit-genesis-3-female-s

Those three were the first connect only items given away with a purchase of a new item.

Post edited by Chanteur-de-Vent on

Blast it, I didn't realize that Chantelle was DRM. Just turned a refund ticket. I wonder if this happens often enough that Customer Service is getting sick of it?

DAZ could put an icon on the thumbnail, but nooooo.....

• Havos said:

So any new content that is usable in Poser won't be encrypted for the Poser version? Which is going to be difficult because people are now using the Genesis models in Poser... Unless all future products are Iray only with no Poser companion files. But I think I saw a way in DS to create your own Poser companion files, but maybe the base part that you need is encrypted and just the companion file isn't? So confusing...

Anything that is marked as Poser compatible will not ever be encrypted, as far as I know. And so far, only content that is specifically marked as a DAZ Original has been made available exclusively in Encrypted Connect format.

If it is encrypted, then naturally it will not be marked as Poser compatible. However a few Genesis 2 items, and some simple props have been encrypted, and these would have worked in Poser (and Carrara, Bryce etc) if they had not been encrypted.

As far as I know, DAZ Originals aren't required to be Poser Compatible, though this may have once been the case.

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750
    edited May 2016

New links added to the list and made it alphabetical - there are 17 now.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    mtl1 said:
    Hera said:

I don't like it as per principal as it somewhat suggests that we - the customers of DAZ - are crooks and will steal the items and give them away elsewhere.
    Then I don't want items which demans of me to be connected all the time to use them. Sometimes I work in places with very bad or no bandwith at all - like far out in the archipelago - and then having to be connected all the time is a horrible and expensive venture.

I believe the only time you are connected is to download the content for installing, or if you are buying content from within the program. Or you can connect your machine once, then you can install via the offline installers.

Yep, I believe this is 100% correct. Offline mode still allows you to access encrypted DAZ content, so long as the DAZ configuration remains the same -- ie. haven't reinstalled DAZ or Install Manager.

I don't think reinstalling DS or DIM would require a reconnection - I'm pretty sure reinstalling DIM wouldn't.

Yeah, it was kind of weird. I had an upgrade on DIM and when I went back into DAZ it said 'configuration changed'?

edited May 2016

Thanks for this, great list on Connect-infected items that I will NOT buy!

Well - thanks to all that contributed links.

I will "buy" connect only freebies and download in a year - but not spend money on them.

Post edited by Kerya on
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    Kerya said:

New links added to the list and made it alphabetical - there are 17 now.

Useful list, thanks. If the release dates are known, maybe those could be added. It won't seem long before the first is a year old, at which point we will learn something.

Also, keep the list backed up. I don't think it takes too flowery an imagination to foresee this thread going zap.

Actually, with zappiness in mind, maybe you should change the title to "Get Your Encrypted Content Here Thread".

Heh.

• 3delinquent3delinquent Posts: 355

Never underestimate the guy in the monkey suit.

•  

Useful list, thanks. If the release dates are known, maybe those could be added. It won't seem long before the first is a year old, at which point we will learn something.

Well, I believe the first encrypted content (Medieval Storage Room, Lynsey, Dragon Queen) was released with DAZ 4.9, and that was (according to my mail) on Jan 21st. It's going to take some time before the year is over.

By the way, I think the release and uptake of encrypted content will increase with the uptake of Connect as the default content installation method for Studio. The more useful, successful and established Connect becomes for end users, the easier it will be for them to accept encrypted content.