Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited May 2016

Okay. Meanwhile, rendering Suave again. As usual, Aave has every nook and cranny of the outfit morphed, so you can easily adjust the hip, the midriff, the depth, the width, make the pants longer, do the bicep, do the shoulder, do the, do the, do the. I moved stuff out even if it didn't need to be (the collar) so you could see it. Made the pants longer, pulled out the waist, the crotch, the hips on pants, the hips on jacket, shoulders, biceps, chest, etc. 

IpoSuave3.jpg
    417 x 900 - 231K
    Post edited by Novica on

Sonja, who are you testing that on? If I have her, would rather do the exact same thing you are doing.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited May 2016

Akiko

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

Sonja, I gave it a try with just the Merimay dress itself. If I use a shader from another set, all is well if there is no visibility selection (e.g., square neckline sleeveless). If I apply the visibility selection, I get what you see, lots of cutouts showing lots of skin. I could tell it was from tiling, and it corrects itself if you tile 1x1 but then the shader pattern gets messed up. I'm installing Designer Two and will check that out in a few minutes.

Thanks Rich. I'll try it too (if I can figure out what to do LOL.)

RGcincy said:

Sonja, I gave it a try with just the Merimay dress itself. If I use a shader from another set, all is well if there is no visibility selection (e.g., square neckline sleeveless). If I apply the visibility selection, I get what you see, lots of cutouts showing lots of skin. I could tell it was from tiling, and it corrects itself if you tile 1x1 but then the shader pattern gets messed up. I'm installing Designer Two and will check that out in a few minutes

So maybe I need to figure out how to match up the tiling of the shader with the tiling of the visibility selection?  Is there anwhere to tile that?  I am still learning about tiling and textures and am unsure of what everything does although I do know how the tiling works with shaders.

So maybe I need to figure out how to match up the tiling of the shader with the tiling of the visibility selection?  Is there anwhere to tile that?  I am still learning about tiling and textures and am unsure of what everything does although I do know how the tiling works with shaders.

My thought exactly, but I'm not sure how to go about it myself.

Akiko is Genesis 3 Female, you're doing the Merimay Dress Designer 2- the one for Genesis 3, right?

Yes it came with one for both genesis 2 and genesis 3.  So I am using the one for genesis 3.

Just wanted to be sure. I've loaded the dress, taking a look now.

Lol I actually checked once I realized it wasn't working because it would very much be something I would do. 

edited May 2016

Well, I got the mumble jumble you did when I tried to do an Iray shader, then with the Iray Fashion Leather shader, it ignored the scoop neckline that I had done, and filled it in, but the entire dress did go to the leather. I'm still putzing. But some of the Utility tiling functions (under Shader Presets) did not tile it correctly, got what you got. (Shown below, you can see it won't do the cutout, that's going to be all colored in.)

merimaymess.jpg
    394 x 500 - 722K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2016

Here's my test with Designer Two plunging neckline. 

New shader without plunging neckline:

Plunging neckline added:

Tiling Set to 1x1 which gets rid of the cutout but isn't the texture you want (in this case, the shader was 3x3):

Somehow you need to keep the 3x3 tiling for the diffuse channel but keep many other maps at 1x1.

Merrimay Designer 2 new shader.jpg
    348 x 400 - 79K
    Merrimay Designer 2 test 1.jpg
    348 x 400 - 68K
    Merrimay Designer 2 1x1 tiling.jpg
    348 x 400 - 78K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited May 2016

Huh, your second image isn't showing up for me in the post, but it is down below where it's attached. When I click on it, it shows up though.

Sonja, I'd do a bug report and just link them to your original post, then tell them to look at the next few posts where Rich did his tests. It's definitely not right. Aave occasionally reads this thread so she may pop in, but this definitely isn't working right. I've had Merimay for a long time but never used it! 

Post edited by Novica on

BTW Rich, got a chuckle at your avatar. I think of all those captions we did in the Because I Said So! contest for that entry.

Novica said:

BTW Rich, got a chuckle at your avatar. I think of all those captions we did in the Because I Said So! contest for that entry.

I decided Rabbicus had run his course, so time for a new (strange) one.

Novica said:

I've had Merimay for a long time but never used it! 

I've used Merimay dress a few times but always with the textures that came with it. Since there are many great fabric shaders, would be good to be able to use them in combination with all the transparency selections.

Ya it seems to definitely be a tiling issue.  I've now tried it with a bunch of different textures and if you fix the tiling to get the shape to work, then the tiling on the pattern doesn't work and vice versa.  I will put a bug report in for sure because I really really like her products and this is such a fun set of dresses to play with it would be a shame if they were not able to change the textures.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited May 2016

My take on Akiko.

Post edited by TJohn on

Huh.  What dept does that go to?  Technical support?  Sales Support? ( I don't want a refund) or General Feedback?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Huh.  What dept does that go to?  Technical support?  Sales Support? ( I don't want a refund) or General Feedback?

Technical support.

edited May 2016

Technical support.

Thank you.  Okay done.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

And thanks everyone for taking a look for me

Well, it was an eye opener! I wish I could test things when I buy them, but sometimes I don't get around to it, particularly during sales. Nice thing is, if it's broken, usually it gets fixed. Let us know if you hear anything, but we should all see the DIM update when it is. Which makes me curious- if people don't use DIM, how do they know there is an update?

Tjohn said:

My take on Akiko.

Really love that lighting, the glow on the hand and shoulder is very soothing. 

I will most definitely post an update when I hear anything.  and no idea I use DIM so I'm clueless how anyone else knows.

Tjohn I agree with Novika the lighting is lovely.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Using Smart Content, the product will appear in "Updates" and you right click and click on "install update". 

Manual downloaders and installers, I have no idea. I don't think there IS any notification to say something had been updated.  

Novica said:

Well, it was an eye opener! I wish I could test things when I buy them, but sometimes I don't get around to it, particularly during sales. Nice thing is, if it's broken, usually it gets fixed. Let us know if you hear anything, but we should all see the DIM update when it is. Which makes me curious- if people don't use DIM, how do they know there is an update?

Other than that thread, forgot where it is- which last time I checked, they were also telling us what exactly got updated. I don't surf to it, I just install the updates. Trusting soul that I am. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Oh! Jen's thread in the PC forum. She lists all the updates to PC products.  

Novica said:

Other than that thread, forgot where it is- which last time I checked, they were also telling us what exactly got updated. I don't surf to it, I just install the updates. Trusting soul that I am. 

It'd be nice to have a thread like that regarding all the products. Since we have them, if changes are made, it'd be good to know what got done. Wasn't Jay (nola, think it was) doing some kind of running thread with product changes? Was that metadata?

Anyway, Brigitte coming up. Lovely skin tones.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited May 2016

I'm pretty sure I know what is going wrong with the shaders. First if your going to retain a neckline etc your going to want to look at what is in the cut out slot and put that back. The crazy stuff is I think due to tiling. Most shaders are created so that the tiling can be adjusted to match the scale of the uv. What your going to have to do in this case is take the uv tiling on the shader to 1 and then if it looks funky (odds are good it will) then you will need to adjust the tiling for each image other than the cut out. So..be sure you have the object and the surfaces your going to use the shader on selected in the scene. Surface selection tool is easy to use to do that. Hold down the ctrl key to keep adding surfaces. Once you have all the surfaces you are using that shader on selected then go to the surface tab. Look for any textures in the image slot. When you see one click on it and you will get a popup list. Select image editor (not the LIE one) and click on it. It will have a couple of options but the one you want is the instance tiling tab. You can then select the amount of tilling you need to make the texture look correct on the dress. Be sure to do all the textures maps with the same tiling setting. You also can use the offset (here and the regular one) to make fabrics line up correctly if you have the patience.

edit: It isn't a bug by the way. It is just how these things work.

Post edited by Khory on
This discussion has been closed.