Get Your Encrypted Daz Connect Content Here Thread - none at the moment 2018-01-30

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219

So any new content that is usable in Poser won't be encrypted for the Poser version? Which is going to be difficult because people are now using the Genesis models in Poser... Unless all future products are Iray only with no Poser companion files. But I think I saw a way in DS to create your own Poser companion files, but maybe the base part that you need is encrypted and just the companion file isn't? So confusing...

Poser-formats (.cr2, .pz2 etc.) will not be encrypted. If a new items for a figure that does wotrk with the DSON importer were encrypted it would not be usable in Poser, regardless of whether you created your own PoserCFs or used Dimension3D's importer script instead of PoserCFs.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

Thanks for the warning! I happened to spot that myself(barely)

Ya know its funny I stopped buying stuff, or even getting freebies here once they announced 4.9 and I haven't been around. I assumed everything was DRMed by now. (that and other reasons)  But about two weeks ago got a bug and started visting again and was initially scared to buy stuff(had a heart attack in my cart since I forgot to check if they were manual install or not) only to see it wasn't locked down and worked fine in my trusty install of 4.8. Was super happy.

Long and short, I left cause I didn't want to keep an eye out for encryption, don't care for what 4.9 offers.I come back a few weeks ago and splurge on stuff lazily without caring about if stuff will work. Now I have to keep an eye out and I just don't want to :( More fun just to impulse buy whatever and go about your day. *sob sob*

I still manage my own install paths and organization. Crusty old fart this one is.

4.9.2 gives you the ability to easily build link files for your products, then you can organize your files in whatever paths you want and they will all still work in Studio. This also means you get the distributed download system (for faster download speeds) and single-file updates.

Additionally, if you want to install things to different drives, you can just set your Daz Connect folder to whatever you want before you install and Daz Connect will install things there while still finding the other things you have installed (as long as it is still in a mapped path)

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

@Daz_Rawb thanks, I was aware of the links but not aware of the download system. I still prefer my manual download and eating up hard drive space with my own backups of my downloads. I still recall when Daz removed a very specific material zone from a particilar item and I needed to have my backup to fix that issue ;) I will remain in full control of the assets I purchase otherwise I will not invest in them. However since Daz has the stance of releasing the encryption 1 year after release I will consider said items at that time.

Some of us do prefer to do things our way, even if it is the hard way because it empowers us and makes us comfortable and in control. I am not interested in faster ways to buy content, I just use Daz studio as a art tool and I don't want to mix it as a buying tool. 

I know I am a minority so its ok to ignore my rant ;) I still very much like Daz Studio. I just will avoid 4.9 as long as it is viable to do so. 

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    DAZ_Rawb said:

4.9.2 gives you the ability to easily build link files for your products, then you can organize your files in whatever paths you want and they will all still work in Studio. This also means you get the distributed download system (for faster download speeds) and single-file updates.

Additionally, if you want to install things to different drives, you can just set your Daz Connect folder to whatever you want before you install and Daz Connect will install things there while still finding the other things you have installed (as long as it is still in a mapped path)

vs

Download zip file. Unzip file into content folder. Point Studio to content folder.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    DAZ_Rawb said:

vs

Download zip file. Unzip file into content folder. Point Studio to content folder.

This. Exactly this. Why use some stupid-ass complicated system when there's a simple straightforward option.

DAZ_Rawb said:

vs

vs

Double click icon in studio. ;)

The link files are there for people who want the advantages of Daz Connect (downloads through distributed content delivery system, single file updates, metadata updates without redownloading everything) while still being able to manage their content the way they are used to (moving files around in directories). It is an attempt to allow traditional workflows to work with a more advanced backend.

edited May 2016
    DAZ_Rawb said:

vs

Nath said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

vs

This. Exactly this. Why use some stupid-ass complicated system when there's a simple straightforward option.

I can understand for a lot of users that this was a chore or hard to understand. While we could debate if users should be able to handle at least this much if they wish to use software, it's ultimately not something Daz wants as a barrier. And I understand that. I just can't be forced into using it. At least DIM was optional, excluding some DS betas.

I like options.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • DAZ_Rawb said:

vs

The problem is updates.  I maintain my directories by moving files around myself.  If there is an update, I have to go find where I put the original file(s), delete them, and replace them with the new ones.  This is the script files only of course, all the data files are where they should be and will be replaced by the normal update process.  If I can leave the orignal files where they should be, and use a link, I no longer have to worry about updates.  They'll be where they should be.  That is a good reason to use the link rather than moving the scripts.  The problem was previously there was no way to do it.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 553

I have no intention of upgrading to 4.9. The only thing that I'd have been interested in are the new morph tools released with 4.9.2, but those are like dangling a carrot on a string - Josh's youtube video shows him using the plugin in 4.8, yet its only being included with 4.9.2.

I understand a company wanting to promote its flagship version and get as many people using it, but many of us have very valid reasons for not wanting to upgrade. If you never had any intention of releasing the morph tools for 4.8, the promo video should never have been recorded using it.

I can understand for a lot of users that this was a chore or hard to understand. While we could debate if users should be able to handle at least this much if they wish to use software, it's ultimately not something Daz wants as a barrier. And I understand that. I just can't be forced into using it. At least DIM was optional, excluding some DS betas.

I like options.

I use 4.9.1 entirely with the zip file manual install method. No DIM. No Connect. The PC isn't connected to the internet.

If 4.9.2 allows that, I will upgrade.

@Daz_Rawb thanks, I was aware of the links but not aware of the download system. I still prefer my manual download and eating up hard drive space with my own backups of my downloads. I still recall when Daz removed a very specific material zone from a particilar item and I needed to have my backup to fix that issue ;) I will remain in full control of the assets I purchase otherwise I will not invest in them. However since Daz has the stance of releasing the encryption 1 year after release I will consider said items at that time.

Some of us do prefer to do things our way, even if it is the hard way because it empowers us and makes us comfortable and in control. I am not interested in faster ways to buy content, I just use Daz studio as a art tool and I don't want to mix it as a buying tool. 

I know I am a minority so its ok to ignore my rant ;) I still very much like Daz Studio. I just will avoid 4.9 as long as it is viable to do so. 

I definitely understand wanting to do things that you used to. I remember building shell scripts that would run on MP3's after I ripped them from my CD collection to name them very specifically with no funky letters or spaces and place them in a finely crafted directory tree. Years and years later I had switched over to MP3 players that didn't care about directory trees or where your files were on disk and I ever so slowly stopped caring about what my files were named and just let the CD ripper pick whatever it wanted and put it somewhere and just let the MP3 player software handle the organization magic. It was a long, long battle but I finally switched. So, I completely hear you on this and I am glad the software team put in links to let people organize like they want while still getting the advantages of the new technology.

Also, 4.9 isn't much about selling you content. The store pane is small and easily hideable/removable, whereas having the content you have already purchased is now sitting in your face. We are trying to make it easier and faster for people to use what they have bought because our top-secret strategy is that if people actually use what they buy then they will probably stick around and be happier with what they have bought.

I like options.

I use 4.9.1 entirely with the zip file manual install method. No DIM. No Connect. The PC isn't connected to the internet.

4.9.2 doesn't require Connect.

• argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757
    edited May 2016

Eh? DAZ_Rawb, that makes no sense. Your biggest customers likely buy for more content than they get around to using. I know I fall into that category. I really cannot stress enough thay DRM and to a lesser extent DAZ Connect have a much greater chance of driving me away as a customer (along with running out of money) than using what I have bought.  DIM has been great, and I really thikn you should keep it around for DS content. And Smart Content needs a lot of work. One uiseful one would be a way to relax the filter e.g. for G3F to also show G2F items. Not the "jsut for the current figure  or everything" option we have now.

Post edited by argel1200 on
    DAZ_Rawb said:

I like options.

There you go, folks. No reason to not enjoy the benefits.

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726

Ive been tossing around the idea of upgrading to 4.9 for awhile now. Bug fixes, to me anyway, are pretty important. Connect would absolutely NOT be used and I do not use smart content. However, every time I thought to myself that now is the time to upgrade, some horror story would crop up in the forums about 4.9 and connect doing funny things and it would scare me away again.

Since I am a dinosaur, I still download the .zip files. I have several backups of my library and 4.8 installers. As long as connect can be completely turned off and its not going to mess with my content library at all, I think ill give it a try in about a month after ive had a chance to see what happens in the forums.

Sorry DAZ, NO encrypted content whatsoever!

And, ive asked before, please make two versions. One without connect and one with. But I know thats just wishful thinking.

DAZ_Rawb said:

... I ever so slowly stopped caring about what my files were named and just let the CD ripper pick whatever it wanted and put it somewhere and just let the MP3 player software handle the organization magic. It was a long, long battle but I finally switched.

And now "they" handle the organisation magic so they can change or delete files on your equipment as they wish (Kindle, etc), and they're moving into not letting you have files at all - you just rent them from the cloud each time.

Me not for switching.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I don't do anything with Connect.

I've had no problems continuing not to use Connect with 4.9.*

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 789

The worst part about Connect is that I don't use it at all yet the app complains every time I launch it that my configuration has changed even though it hasn't.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219

The worst part about Connect is that I don't use it at all yet the app complains every time I launch it that my configuration has changed even though it hasn't.

That should have been fixed with the previous version, 4.9.1.30, at the latest. If you still had 4.9.0.60 (or an older build, I can't recall when the fix came in) then it might well ahve doen that, and if you switched between that version and a later beta you would certainly have had that issue each time you switched. Using the 4.9.1.x and 4.9.2.x versions exclusively, whether beta or release, I haven't seen the behaviour for a long time.

edited May 2016
    DAZ_Rawb said:

I definitely understand wanting to do things that you used to. I remember building shell scripts that would run on MP3's after I ripped them from my CD collection to name them very specifically with no funky letters or spaces and place them in a finely crafted directory tree. 

I still manually tag my MP3 before adding them to my library. I hate it when they are in the wrong generic genre and all that jazz. I don't let iTunes manage my music. It's much easier for me to find and use content once I have sorted it, the Daz mechanisms never worked for me(smart content yuck, inconsistent store sorting, yuck, databases that change regularly, yuck).

I totally understand the "secret plan". But for me the easiest way for me to manage the content I buy (and keep coming back) is when I have full control over it like all other stock assets I use for any other project. Whether its brushes, 2D assets or music files. Like I said I know I'm just an occasionally vocal minority. But I haven't said anything in a while and felt it was worth reiterating that my stance hasn't changed :) 

DAZ_Rawb said:

I like options.

What are your favorite benefits. I haven't paid attention I months :) But when 4.9 first came out, I saw jack that benefited me. I don't use iRay, smart content or any of that. So it would have to be something else.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Sadly this does appear to be true since several PAs have mentioned that Studio content shows up on Torrent sites shortly after release. 

Hera said:

I don't like it as per principal as it somewhat suggests that we - the customers of DAZ - are crooks and will steal the items and give them away elsewhere.
    Then I don't want items which demans of me to be connected all the time to use them. Sometimes I work in places with very bad or no bandwith at all - like far out in the archipelago - and then having to be connected all the time is a horrible and expensive venture.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited May 2016

Nope. Daz is invested in this idea. I like my Daz Install Manager.

I like my zip files. Then I can put my content where I want it.  larsmidnatt, don't worry about accidentally buying encrypted products.  Just return it and tell them you don't use DS 4.9.  Been there, done that.  They're very nice about it.

Post edited by sandmanmax on

Nope. Daz is invested in this idea. I like my Daz Install Manager.

I like my zip files. Then I can put my content where I want it.  larsmidnatt, don't worry about accidentally buying encrypted products.  Just return it and tell them you don't use DS 4.9.  Been there, done that.  They're very nice about it.

Yep, that is an option. I try my best to only buy things I can use and reserve my refunds for things that aren't my fault ;) But Daz has remained true to their policy and it's one reason I still feel comfortable buying here. I don't use it often but I know it's there when needed.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

+1

a few days before, I got  products which have a moprh,  I  need to edit and remove bug in dsf to work it correctly.

(the SF clothing set is really good one for me,  then I do not hope to refund, and only one  moprh Which i happen to use, seems have problem)

Then If I can not check and edit these  dsf,   the  morph  not work at all ,(though i can see it in  parameter tab). 

I know If I send support ticket, it will be removed,  after  few weeks or few days.(somtimes few months)

And I do not believe, daz can offer all product without any bug.

then there were many case,, if it is not encrypted, user can find and remove problem by them selfs (And I like customize much) easy.

The more daz push encrypted contents, I  lost interesting about daz products.

it is same about tools which offer only for DAZ vendor only.

if DAZ push contents which made by these tools, (eg HD morphs)  I simply deny to get these products.

• So any new content that is usable in Poser won't be encrypted for the Poser version? Which is going to be difficult because people are now using the Genesis models in Poser... Unless all future products are Iray only with no Poser companion files. But I think I saw a way in DS to create your own Poser companion files, but maybe the base part that you need is encrypted and just the companion file isn't? So confusing...

Anything that is marked as Poser compatible will not ever be encrypted, as far as I know. And so far, only content that is specifically marked as a DAZ Original has been made available exclusively in Encrypted Connect format.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294

So any new content that is usable in Poser won't be encrypted for the Poser version? Which is going to be difficult because people are now using the Genesis models in Poser... Unless all future products are Iray only with no Poser companion files. But I think I saw a way in DS to create your own Poser companion files, but maybe the base part that you need is encrypted and just the companion file isn't? So confusing...

Anything that is marked as Poser compatible will not ever be encrypted, as far as I know. And so far, only content that is specifically marked as a DAZ Original has been made available exclusively in Encrypted Connect format.

If it is encrypted, then naturally it will not be marked as Poser compatible. However a few Genesis 2 items, and some simple props have been encrypted, and these would have worked in Poser (and Carrara, Bryce etc) if they had not been encrypted.

Havos said:

... and these would have worked in Poser (and Carrara, Bryce etc) if they had not been encrypted.

Don't know about Carrara, but as far as I'm aware the Bryce bridge works as well with encrypted content as it does with non-encrypted.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    argel1200 said:

Eh? DAZ_Rawb, that makes no sense. Your biggest customers likely buy for more content than they get around to using. I know I fall into that category. I really cannot stress enough thay DRM and to a lesser extent DAZ Connect have a much greater chance of driving me away as a customer (along with running out of money) than using what I have bought.  DIM has been great, and I really thikn you should keep it around for DS content. And Smart Content needs a lot of work. One uiseful one would be a way to relax the filter e.g. for G3F to also show G2F items. Not the "jsut for the current figure  or everything" option we have now.

I'm kinda in this boat. Since this whole new direction and the multiple issues involved with it were announced my spending has dropped dramatically, and I've since discovered other sites selling content that I really like (not a competitor to Daz) and I've been a lot happier buying their bundles each month.

Meanwhile I've got one report in that hasn't been updated in over a month, and another product that won't install that I don't want to report because the last time someone did that Daz removed the product from that person's library without asking. The future is apparently all encrypted content that is locked into using Studio as both your art and management software, and while I like Studio, I don't like it so much that I want to ditch explorer for it. Unless some sort of revolutionary new hair (and maybe clothing) system comes out that requires Connect, I'll probably continue buying and using newer content less and less because while there are bridges over the hole Daz has dug, it's juat too much hassle to deal with.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    DAZ_Rawb said:

I like options.

That is true. As much as I dislike Connect, and the idea of DRM/encryption, you can in fact use 4.9 without Connect. Which I do.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

Sadly I can't use my encrypted content right now o updated studio and it needs to be activated again so I have to wait to borrow a phone again to be able to tether the Internet, it's been a while not being able to use stuff but it's not missed too much lol