Hexagon frequently crashes?

RCIXRCIX Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I'm using an HP Envy 15 with a Core i5 2450m CPU, 6GB RAM, and an ATI Radeon HD 7690M GPU. When I try and use Hexagon 2.5.1.79, it randomly crashes (often taking my GFX driver with it).

Things I've tried:
* Restarting my computer
* Reinstalling Hexagon
* Uninstalling Catalyst Control Center

I would really like to model some stuff and Hexagon is the only tool I've found that I can use (none of the other programs I've tried were usable, or if they costed money, ever had free giveaways =p), and I hope someone can help me solve this problem.

Comments

• StubbyStubby Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Dont know if this will help or not but....

If you go to your Preference editor (edit> preference editor) Then click on 3D display and then the advanced tab, there is an option for OpenGL optimization. Try changing the setting there.

Like I said, dont know if it will help but its a start.

• ds-mail_2e0cb9c256ds-mail_2e0cb9c256 Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

I assume "randomly" crashes means you have been unable to link the crash to any action you have done? If so, ignore this reply.

Otherwise I'd suggest you try to track/record exactly what you were doing just before any crash to see if you can assess app error or possible user error?

My best advice is to work somewhat slowly; such as once you make an action/command/etc. wait for Hex to complete the action before you do anything else...usually that is only a second or 2 but for complicated large models it can be several seconds and it you try to "stack" commands in a row (which it should be able to do) waiting in queue, Hex often crashes.

If I do a multi key/mouse-click tool command, in wrong order; Hex may crash or do nothing....and I see that as operator error...tho may not seem so because I thought it was a correct order of actions.

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 1969

Make sure you don't have the latest greatest driver for your video adapter. Go back one or two versions. Then see if Hexagon crashes less.

• RCIXRCIX Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Roy G said:
    Dont know if this will help or not but....

If you go to your Preference editor (edit> preference editor) Then click on 3D display and then the advanced tab, there is an option for OpenGL optimization. Try changing the setting there.

Like I said, dont know if it will help but its a start.
    Tried that, it still crashes. Lost about an hour's worth of work -.- At least I still have my reference images.

Make sure you don't have the latest greatest driver for your video adapter. Go back one or two versions. Then see if Hexagon crashes less.

I checked the HP site and there's only the one driver, I can't go back any further than that. Welp.
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

There are a number of things you could try - in preferences, re-set to default. Set OGL optimization to no optimization, uncheck anti-aliasing.

Set your graphics display panel to let application decide, or words to that effect instead of optimized.

Common user error - Hex is not good at catching user errors.

1. Being in too much of a hurry - with some complex actions Hex needs time to think, but shows no indication that it is doing so.
    2. Going on to the next action without validating when validation is required.
    3. Trying to do an action in DG mode when this is not allowed, working at the wrong level of DG or using too much or full DG

Then there are some faulty meshes which will cause crashes - mainly twisted N-gons.

Try to isolate any particular action or mesh which causes the crashing

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited December 1969

I was looking for this thread, because I experience frequent crashes too. And it appears that once Hexagon starts crashing, it will not work anymore, until you reinstall it. This is all very tiresome. I guess it has to do with me being impatient. However, this should be prevented somehow by a better indication that the program is still thinking.
    Otherwise, I really like it. However, for every slightly complex model I try to build, I have to reinstall at least once.
    I hope there will be a 2.5.1.80 or something version that is more stable!

edited December 1969

Highly unlikely that we will be getting bug fixes anytime soon - Daz is single-mindedly fixated on Genesis at this time.

If Hex crashes frequently and re-installing makes it better, try simply re-setting the preferences to default instead of re-installing. That has pretty much the same effect without the hassles.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll try that!

• edited December 1969

Roy - Thanks. I was having problems with Hexagon 2.5 crashing. Tried what you say and it seems to work.

edited December 1969

Pleasure :)

This is an old fix going back years. I'm not into coding, so don't know exactly what happens when it goes wrong - something to do with the preferences file getting corrupted?

A question I have asked and never had answered is if there is a method of saving a "good" preference file and use that to replace the "bad" one instead of having to re-set and then go in and set the preferences to what you want.

Hopefully some guru will help us out?

• genejokegenejoke Posts: 128
    edited December 1969

I'm having real trouble with hexagon at the moment, especially when using the chamfer tool, any suggestions?

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Pleasure :)

This is an old fix going back years. I'm not into coding, so don't know exactly what happens when it goes wrong - something to do with the preferences file getting corrupted?

A question I have asked and never had answered is if there is a method of saving a "good" preference file and use that to replace the "bad" one instead of having to re-set and then go in and set the preferences to what you want.

Hopefully some guru will help us out?

I'm definitely not a guru, but on a Windows system the preferences are stored in User\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Hexagon 2
    You'll only need to copy the 3 files preferences.xml, shortCuts.xml and usergui.xml
    If you have trouble finding them (or if you're not using windows) try a search on one of the filenames.
    hexagon_preferences.png
    1017 x 621 - 99K
    edited December 1969

Hi Blackfeather:)

I've located the files. If I understand you correctly, what I'd need to do is copy these three files and save them somewhere, then when the preferences get corupted, instead of resetting them, replace them with the previously saved good ones?

@ genejoke - lots more information, please:)

What sort of problems are you having? What do you do before and after using chamfer that causes the problem? What sort of mesh are you using it on?

Some pics would help us in identifying the problem:)

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Hi Blackfeather:)

I've located the files. If I understand you correctly, what I'd need to do is copy these three files and save them somewhere, then when the preferences get corupted, instead of resetting them, replace them with the previously saved good ones?

Yes, that should do the trick if the crashing thingie is indeed a result of the preferences getting corrupted. I'd still reset the settings anyway, then replace the files.
    edited October 2012

The meshes are usually fairly basic. I'm trying to make some spaceship models, starting from a cube and extruding and such like. I can usually do it on one edge without issue but doing any more and it hangs. I'm running on windows 7 64 bit with 6gb of ram and a quad core processor. As for before and after... well before I'm selecting the relevant edges and after well it does what it is supposed to but a few moments later it stops and the error message comes up.

test.png
    1680 x 1050 - 229K
    Post edited by genejoke on
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I might be wrong but I have a feeling that 2.5.1 was one of the early beta versions. Have you tried 2.5.1.79 ?

edited October 2012

Thank you, BlackFeather - I'll take your advice next time preferences need resetting:)

@genejoke

Well, your specs are certainly good enough - I take it you have a graphics card to match?

When you use chamfer, I take it you are using the values input and not trying to do it with the mouse - and that you are validating afterward?

The problem with using chamfer the way you are doing it is that it causes N-gons on the faces that haven't been chamfered - see my example 3. These need to be cleaned up by joining the verts. I've never had Hex pick up problems with N-gons - except when they are twisted - but some users have reported crashing because of them.

BTW, you can get better results, cleaner mesh and lower poly count by using extract around and smoothing instead of chamfer.

My example 1 is chamfered, smoothing level 1 - 680 facets. Example 2 extract around, smoothed level 1 - 512 facets and has a more even distribution of edges - the mesh also looks better than the chamfered one.

Edit: I notice you have a face selected, so you must have done something after the chamfering before Hex crashed on you?

chamfer.jpg
    800 x 586 - 36K
    Post edited by Roygee on
    edited December 1969

yeah I did that one to get a screen shot, in that case I selected the face and bang, it often goes as soon about a second after I hit validate.

edited December 1969

RedSquare said:
    I might be wrong but I have a feeling that 2.5.1 was one of the early beta versions. Have you tried 2.5.1.79 ?

it is 2.5.1.79, or at least that is what it says when it starts up and when I bring up the about info.