Poser products in DAZ shop

Sorry to bother, but am I the only one who´s noticed that since a few months ALL the products showcased in the newsletters I receive, are for DAZ only???? I used to buy frequently from DAZ, and most of the items were Poser and DAZ compatible. Not anymore. I posted this in the HELP section, but I only got vague and absolutely inconclusive answers. Do you think is this a new DAZ policy? Are we Poser users bound to use just Renderosity? Thanks everybody.

Comments

• br1rasettobr1rasetto Posts: 8

And by the way, of course I'm not talking about Genesis

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,197

There have been additional Poser items brought across from Runtime DNA, and other items (scenes and props) that are Poser-format too.

Thanks Richard. But I refer to the newsletter from the shop that I receive daily. Lately not a single item (including scenes and props) is listed as Poser compatible. It´s DAZ only.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I know what you mean - even vendors that created Poser things before have gone over to DS only ... pity.

I am less likely to buy a prop/scenery that is for DS only. Much less likely.

And I like DazStudio - but I like Poser too.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771

I too think it's unfortunate, but it's saved me a lot of money lately. wink   

If somehing shows up at a low enough price, I've risked a few Studio only items and brought them in via D3D's DSON Loader script, and they generally work well, issues of course with shaders, and normals facing the wrong way on occasion.  Clothing of course may suffer from the lack of the smoothing modifier, but there's the morph brush....

WandW said:

Right - that's a way to look at it. LOL

Kerya said:

I know what you mean - even vendors that created Poser things before have gone over to DS only ... pity.

Kerya, yuo're less likely to buy a prop/scenery that is for DS only, and it's a very mild way to put it.

I DON'T buy it at all, I've had a few issues in the past, some minor, some serious. I don't want to take any chance anymore. Too bad, I'll have to stick to the very large library I've built during the last few years, and resort to Renderosity. As you say, it's a pity...

edited May 2016
    WandW said:

If somehing shows up at a low enough price, I've risked a few Studio only items and brought them in via D3D's DSON Loader script, and they generally work well, issues of course with shaders, and normals facing the wrong way on occasion.  Clothing of course may suffer from the lack of the smoothing modifier, but there's the morph brush....

WandW, I really don't feel like using the D3D's DSON Loader . I think it's a kind of a Russian Roulette. Maybe it'll work, maybe not. No thanks.

Post edited by br1rasetto on
    Kerya said:

Kerya, yuo're less likely to buy a prop/scenery that is for DS only, and it's a very mild way to put it.

I DON'T buy it at all, I've had a few issues in the past, some minor, some serious. I don't want to take any chance anymore. Too bad, I'll have to stick to the very large library I've built during the last few years, and resort to Renderosity. As you say, it's a pity...

Well - I AM using both, Poser and DazStudio (and Bryce, and Vue ...), so I can buy DS only. But I prefer to spend money on stuff I can use in both.

Shaders and Dynamic whatsits are something different, as they CAN'T work in both - but props/scenery I prefer to work in both.

Apart from Renderosity there are other marketplaces for the hobbyist market (apart from the big player, big money stores like TurboSquid) - CGBytes, Fantasies Realm Market, Hivewire3d, Yurdigital and other vendor stores - InLite Studio, Mirye, Mostdigitalcreations, Philosophers Egg, Sixus1, Targetview.nl, Teknology3d, Xurge3d ...

• NagraNagra Posts: 99

Same here i have converted all my DS only props/environments to native Poser versions. Some went smooth and for others i had to use all kinds of tricks including editing the generated OBJ files to get them working (I am not talking about shaders as thats usually the most easy part).

I am not going to buy any DS only items anymore with one exception: It is an item i am looking for since a long time AND it is of superior quality. Well currently this marketplace has no items that do match that criteria.

Obviously the PA’s at this marketplace don’t want my money any more. But thats their problem not mine ;) As Kerya stated there are plenty of other stores.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751

http://www.daz3d.com/medical-center-waiting-room?utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+Medical+Center+Waiting+Room&utm_content=Massive+Horror+Build-A-Bundle&utm_campaign=(05-19-16)+Massive+Horror+Build-A-Bundle

This? Would have left friction burns from the speed going into my cart had it only come with a Poser version, or at least Poser Companion files. But since there is no way of knowing it will work I guess I'll just have to pass and look elsewhere. Yes, I've got Daz Studio but right now I can't use it until whenever the font size issue is fixed. Which could take more time than I am willing or able to wait, especially if there's a deadline to meet. 

Byrdie said:

Yes, I've got Daz Studio but right now I can't use it until whenever the font size issue is fixed. Which could take more time than I am willing or able to wait, especially if there's a deadline to meet. 

From the changelog, with respect to the latest public beta:

Explicitly declared the application as being not “High-DPI Aware” on Windows; allows for DPI virtualization and scaling as implemented by the operating system; ref: Manifest Madness - Chuck Walbourn - MSFT.

Not a full fix, but it may help.

edited May 2016

Ooh, it just might! Where do I get that version and how can I run it without breaking things? Right now I still have 4.8 on my new rig and do not want to go the 4.9 Connect route that would likely play havoc with my library setup. Also got no intention of ever installing content on my C drive and I hear that's where 4.9 keeps wanting to put it. But if that's fixed, I might give it a whirl, at least then I'll be able to roll my own PCFs again.

Post edited by Byrdie on

Public Betas have to be installed via DIM, they should not conflict with the 4.8 Release build though it is strongly advised that you export your user data just in case.

Thanks. When I get some time I'll download it & give it a try.

Kerya said:
    Kerya said:

Well - I AM using both, Poser and DazStudio (and Bryce, and Vue ...), so I can buy DS only. But I prefer to spend money on stuff I can use in both.

Shaders and Dynamic whatsits are something different, as they CAN'T work in both - but props/scenery I prefer to work in both.

Apart from Renderosity there are other marketplaces for the hobbyist market (apart from the big player, big money stores like TurboSquid) - CGBytes, Fantasies Realm Market, Hivewire3d, Yurdigital and other vendor stores - InLite Studio, Mirye, Mostdigitalcreations, Philosophers Egg, Sixus1, Targetview.nl, Teknology3d, Xurge3d ...

KERYA, I was using DAZ, and Poser, and Bryce until a couple of years ago. Then I decided that keeping track of all of them and the updates or new versions was too much of a hassle. So I am sticking to Poser. I'm missing the great landscapes of Bryce though. Thanks for the tip about the other vendors, many of them I never heard of. I'll try them.

Byrdie said:

http://www.daz3d.com/medical-center-waiting-room?utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+Medical+Center+Waiting+Room&utm_content=Massive+Horror+Build-A-Bundle&utm_campaign=(05-19-16)+Massive+Horror+Build-A-Bundle

This? Would have left friction burns from the speed going into my cart had it only come with a Poser version, or at least Poser Companion files. But since there is no way of knowing it will work I guess I'll just have to pass and look elsewhere. Yes, I've got Daz Studio but right now I can't use it until whenever the font size issue is fixed. Which could take more time than I am willing or able to wait, especially if there's a deadline to meet. 

Funny, I was tempted to buy it too, but just like you, I passed and took no chances.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,693

I was one of those people who swore I would only use Poser and never use DS because it drove me crazy the few times I tried it,  but when I saw all the great Iray renders, V7 (offered for free when I got her) and all my favorite vendors moving to DS, I figured I might as well give it a try. I'm not going to lie, it drove me crazy at first, I couldn't find where anything was, the UI made no sense to me but I was getting some great renders and rationalized that forcing my brain to learn new things would prevent Alzheimer's later in life LOL. Anyway, I invested in a lot of DS only stuff and I'm really liking going back and forth. I was getting in a rut with Poser, was pretty much on auto-pilot after using it for over a decade, so I NEVER thought I'd say this, but give DS a try. I'm finding it has expanded me artistically and definitely given my brain a workout! Then I also purchased Reality for Poser which has a whole other learning curve, but also results in expanding what I can do artistically. I've found I love the variety, V4/M4's are still great, but Genesis is a lot of fun to play with too. I think it's going to be continually harder to find new Poser products here, but if you look at it as a fun challenge, try DS, it's free...

I was one of those people who swore I would only use Poser and never use DS because it drove me crazy the few times I tried it,  but when I saw all the great Iray renders, V7 (offered for free when I got her) and all my favorite vendors moving to DS, I figured I might as well give it a try. I'm not going to lie, it drove me crazy at first, I couldn't find where anything was, the UI made no sense to me but I was getting some great renders and rationalized that forcing my brain to learn new things would prevent Alzheimer's later in life LOL. Anyway, I invested in a lot of DS only stuff and I'm really liking going back and forth. I was getting in a rut with Poser, was pretty much on auto-pilot after using it for over a decade, so I NEVER thought I'd say this, but give DS a try. I'm finding it has expanded me artistically and definitely given my brain a workout! Then I also purchased Reality for Poser which has a whole other learning curve, but also results in expanding what I can do artistically. I've found I love the variety, V4/M4's are still great, but Genesis is a lot of fun to play with too. I think it's going to be continually harder to find new Poser products here, but if you look at it as a fun challenge, try DS, it's free...

Been there, done that. And came back to Poser. Frankly, I do mainly comic or funny things. Nothing artistic or fantasy, so I don't need to complicate too much. I'm glad you enjoy it. I believe Poser at this point is good enough to prevent (or delay?) my Alzheimer. Ahahaha!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    WandW said:

ditto

• sura_tcsura_tc Posts: 174

For me, DS only or not does not really matter since I want just the mesh primarily to use in Blender. So, it does not deter me.