Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Those ceramic shaders look nice. I have those, too. Khory did a nice job.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    barbult said:

Those ceramic shaders look nice. I have those, too. Khory did a nice job.

Yes she did!

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Love the toy dog Novica, I picked him up too but haven't had a chance to play with him yet.  the ceramic and crackle shaders look fabulous, will have to add them to my wish list

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Note- the crackle shaders are part of the Ceramics for Iray shader. The first one was the Ragu set, then the crackles. There is also matte and clay. You get a big variety. You said add "them" to your wishlist so wanted to be sure you weren't off looking for a crackles shader. :)

And I love the dog robot from today- has a lot more bite than my Toy Dog lol! And of course, Faveral's gorgeous resort (Lagoon) has been released. That's a heckuva lotta work for $39.95 (full price) if you wander around and take a look at it. Very impressive!    I'm a Polish fan and really like the lights in front on the R.E.D. Skyracer. Too many neat things and Kimo will be in the store this month too. My wishlist is pathetically growing, but I'm getting Faveral's with the gift card that I got when they were 20% off (so I can justify it to myself lol.)

BTW, did you notice Lyoness has the "no brow" option for LY Emi ? So it's a good thing because it expands your options, but someone tell clueless me what you do with that? Is it a layered image opportunity or a fabulous skins thing where eyebrows are included and you choose one? Anyway, thanks Lyoness for doing something different!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited May 2016

I am downloading the lagoon right now.  It looks like its going to be worth every penny.  I passed on a couple other things last week as I knew this coming out yesterday or today.  And I didnt even realize the copter and the jet ski etc come with.  Crazy good deal for the amount of work that went into it.  And the coral reefs and water are also included. 

The robo war dogs are on my wishlist as well....

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited May 2016

A very special atta-artist to JakiBlue- did ya'll notice who the promo artist is for the Fast Grab Forgotten Temple Ruins? Look at the leopard render. I was going to give you the heads up that the Fast Grab had changed and this one was in it, when I noticed the artist. Got past me the first time. Very nice JakiBlue!

Post edited by Novica on

Wow that great JakiBlue looks fantastic!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited May 2016

Actually, it was mostly those promo pics that sold the Temple Ruins to me when they came out - so JakiBlue was a smart move for the PAs!

Oops: pressed the Post button too soon! I meant to say: I love the look of those Ceramics shaders on the toy dog - I'd never have thought of doing that. Makes me wonder why I didn't pick up those shaders when they came out (I have a massive shader collection) - I'll have to put them on my wishlist for a sale.

Post edited by MelanieL on

Wow. the Lagoon is just massive.  Like, really really really big.  I have a render cooking on my main render pc in iray but that's probably an over nighter.  Have a smaller one cooking on the laptop that just uses the end of one of the piers in 3Delight.  This environment has so many possibilities its mind boggling.

I loaded the lagoon a couple hours ago then abandoned it as I'm in the middle of ZBrush videos and am determined not to get sidetracked. Have you looked in the yacht yet? I forgot to do that. But yeah, that set is gigantic and the lagoon is included, it's a wow!

No not yet I am waiting on stuff to finish rendering.  Will look tomorrow though lol.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695

Hi, I've been lurking on this thread for the last few days. I'm new to DS since mid-March (2 month anniversary!) but a long time Poser user. You guys are talking about the Lagoon which I'm pretty sure I'm going to get but I noticed something weird about the renders in the promos. The set itself looks 100% photoreal, but none of the people do. For some reason all the characters look like manequins in a real location to me. I was wondering why that is and looking forward to seeing some renders from you guys with people in it. Maybe the person who created the promo wasn't using G3's which I think are more photo real, the lighting maybe, the poses, can't figure it out...

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Pretty sure that those characters don't have Iray skins on them. I also suspect that the PA is not super comfortable creating poses hence the stiffer looking figures.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Oh :blushing: LOL Thank you so much guys. laugh You've made my day. 

They were done AGES ago and are 3delight btw...looooong before the advent of iray.  I only did the "artistic" ones, the first and the second one (woman with bow). 

I must reinstall that product too - it was an excellent set of ruins. I keep forgetting so much of what i have LOL. 

I also did one for their cemetary set: http://www.daz3d.com/ravenwood-cemetery-plants the first main one there. But too be honest, I was happier with the temple ruins one - the cemetary one I did for a giggle (check the back of her shirt) and Anne just ran with it. LOL 

Mind you, the one I like the best was this one: http://www.daz3d.com/sweet-dreams No, not the promos - I accidentaly wrote the description blurb for it. Heh. I wrote it as a placeholder till Anne could come up with something, and almost died when I saw it go into the store like that. laughcheeky

Novica said:

A very special atta-artist to JakiBlue- did ya'll notice who the promo artist is for the Fast Grab Forgotten Temple Ruins? Look at the leopard render. I was going to give you the heads up that the Fast Grab had changed and this one was in it, when I noticed the artist. Got past me the first time. Very nice JakiBlue!

Wow that great JakiBlue looks fantastic!

MelanieL said:

Actually, it was mostly those promo pics that sold the Temple Ruins to me when they came out - so JakiBlue was a smart move for the PAs!

Oops: pressed the Post button too soon! I meant to say: I love the look of those Ceramics shaders on the toy dog - I'd never have thought of doing that. Makes me wonder why I didn't pick up those shaders when they came out (I have a massive shader collection) - I'll have to put them on my wishlist for a sale.

Check out Fast Grab for bundles- the Aiko 5, David 5, Hiro 5, etc!

The set itself looks 100% photoreal, but none of the people do. For some reason all the characters look like manequins in a real location to me. I was wondering why that is and looking forward to seeing some renders from you guys with people in it. Maybe the person who created the promo wasn't using G3's which I think are more photo real, the lighting maybe, the poses, can't figure it out...

It's not the set, it's the PA doing the poses. When you do your own folks, trust me, you're going to LOVE this set. There's so many opportunities with the bedroom pods, the business office, the lounge bar, the gaming area, the outside decks. It's a real wow! I'll see about plopping a person in there somewhere for you.

edited May 2016

LOL, for you folks loading people into your Lagoon scene- just keep pulling up (or slide Y translate) and they'll end up in the elevator of the lounge. Then you can move them from there.

Post edited by Novica on

For new folks, remember that the fastest way to zoom around a big set is to click an object in the scene, then the + will zoom you to it. To move these figures in the lagoon, I use the Universal tool (that square box in the viewport with the arrows that you can tug on) and zip the character along, then simply hit + and my viewport scene goes to wherever they are. It's a fast way to move your characters and keep them in your viewport. I just took my character from the elevator and on around to the bar, doing that technique. Very fast.

Hi, I've been lurking on this thread for the last few days. I'm new to DS since mid-March (2 month anniversary!) but a long time Poser user. 

Welcome to the thread!

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    Novica said:

Check out Fast Grab for bundles- the Aiko 5, David 5, Hiro 5, etc!

Very mediocre deal if you are a PC+ Member

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Product review: New Puppy

Used: Lighting - kitchen lighting. Shaders - New Puppy Smell. Render Time - 6 weeks. Vendor - Staffy X Mastiff. 

This is just the default new puppy figure. I didn't have to morph him to make him look any cuter or anything. Didn't have to tweak any surfaces either - his coat looked great under the kitchen lighting I used as is. He does leak a bit tho, so I'll have to work on that, I think. No postwork, tho I think I shall have to do some saturation work on the red faced husband. 

PuppyFace.jpg
    800 x 725 - 409K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited May 2016

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

(and thanks for the review text - LOL!)

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited November 2016

He's adorable! Six weeks is such a precious age!

This is Gillian inside the Lagoon Resort. Just a bit more casual posing and plopped on a built-in divan by the bar. I had to stop the render as I'm headed off to get some sleep and I didn't want the computer to run for hours when this will give you an idea. There's a lot of places to plop your figures, this doesn't even look like it's in a fantasy environment (for the set.) So it's a bit grainy, sorry.

lagoon.jpg
    622 x 700 - 354K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2016

Just a quick test.  I changed the textures on the couch and bed, and used Mec4d's wet sand shader on the ocean floor.  Everything else is straight out of the box (Iray).  This one takes some getting used to as far as navigating around the scene just because its sooo huge.  On my way to work and not sure if I will have time to check anything else out as my nephew graduates from high school tomorrow night.

test Lagoon.png
    1024 x 819 - 1M
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited May 2016
    jakiblue said:

Mind you, the one I like the best was this one: http://www.daz3d.com/sweet-dreams No, not the promos - I accidentaly wrote the description blurb for it. Heh. I wrote it as a placeholder till Anne could come up with something, and almost died when I saw it go into the store like that. laughcheeky

Hah! I wondered what ArtCollab was on when I first read that - now I know it's you I need to ask: "What were you on?" - All those pink fluffy bunnies!

PS: I love your new puppy - really cute! But I'd warn you that you need to take care when you desaturate you husband: if he gets very wet, maybe just dry him out really gently with a hairdryer?

Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited May 2016
    jakiblue said:

Product review: New Puppy

Used: Lighting - kitchen lighting. Shaders - New Puppy Smell. Render Time - 6 weeks. Vendor - Staffy X Mastiff. 

This is just the default new puppy figure. I didn't have to morph him to make him look any cuter or anything. Didn't have to tweak any surfaces either - his coat looked great under the kitchen lighting I used as is. He does leak a bit tho, so I'll have to work on that, I think. No postwork, tho I think I shall have to do some saturation work on the red faced husband. 

Good grief what a cute puppy!  I just love that puppy breath lol.  Congrats on the new addition!

Thanks Novica for that great way to move characters and the viewport!!! That was something I was having big problems with...

• FaveralFaveral Posts: 415

Hi, I've been lurking on this thread for the last few days. I'm new to DS since mid-March (2 month anniversary!) but a long time Poser user. You guys are talking about the Lagoon which I'm pretty sure I'm going to get but I noticed something weird about the renders in the promos. The set itself looks 100% photoreal, but none of the people do. For some reason all the characters look like manequins in a real location to me. I was wondering why that is and looking forward to seeing some renders from you guys with people in it. Maybe the person who created the promo wasn't using G3's which I think are more photo real, the lighting maybe, the poses, can't figure it out...

Hi Wonderland,

Khory is right, I didn't use any fancy skin shaders for the promos, nor is posing really my forte lol. I wanted the focus to be on the set, not on the characters. And honnestly, it is a lot more work than people think to make these promos. Between twaeking the scene, the lighting, creating the characters dressing them and posing them, plus the time it takes to render on my machine, I spent easly two days on each promo. Ten promos for the set, that's 3 weeks of work...Just on promos. The set itself took about 4 months.

But I'm really happy with the reactions I'm getting from you guys. Thank you very much for all the nice words! It was really worth all the time spent on it! :)

Hi Faveral, I did purchase it and think it's amazing and looking forward to exploring it! For me doing characters is much easier than sets, so we are opposite there LOL...

This discussion has been closed.