Basic Supersuit UV's for the Supersuit product have been fixed! Our voices have been heard.

Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
edited August 2013 in The Commons

Our voices have been heard! Thank you all for your support! And thanks, DAZ_Jared for fixing this. :)

Post edited by Knight22179 on

Comments

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited September 2012
    Post edited by Skiriki on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

agreed, this should be fixed. What a Shame!

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your support both of you. :)

Thanks, Skiriki! I edited my first post. Let's add our voices! :)

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited September 2012

How does the whole UV swapping thing work? That basic suit, just being a genesis body with the head lopped off and little booty toes added on in place of the normal ones, I almost wonder if there'd be a way to load genesis' uv's to it?

Post edited by JoeQuick on
    edited September 2012

No idea if that's possible, Joe. However, if you click on the link to the Bug report in my first post, a guy made a work-around using the full Supersuit UV's and "repairing" the Basic Suit so the UV map won't overlap.

I haven't tried that trick but there is an upside and a downside to it. The upside is (provided I could do it), I could use that for personal use.

The downside is, I could only use it for personal use. Any textures I made with it I would not be able to share. And if I were a Vendor, this would also frustrate me because I wouldn't be able to sell any textures made for the Basic Supersuit. Which, in the end, makes the Basic Suit practically useless.

P.S: Thanks for the tip, Cridgit! :)

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited September 2012

I don't think there is anything wrong with the UVs. You just need to save each material on a separate UV map.

I don't know why DAZ didn't provide templates for it.

Coldrake

Post edited by Coldrake on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Coldrake said:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the UVs. You just need to save each material on a separate UV map.

I don't know why DAZ didn't provide templates for it.

Coldrake

You can't save the UVs seperately because there is only one material section "torso" to add those UVs to! We need a "back" and "front" rather than "torso".

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

The problem with doing as suggested in the bug report is that you have to create a new material zone, it doesn't matter what you do that new MAT zone will have be written into the figures main DSF file, and you can't distribute that file.

Failing the vendor/DAZ fixing this, then the only choice is to export the mesh, fix the UV in something like UV Mapper, then use the "load UV set" function in the Surfaces tab's options menu to import the fixed .obj's UV into the figure, then you can go "file > save as > support asset > UV asset" and save a custom UV DSF, which you can then freely distribute with your textures.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited December 1969

I just find it sad that they released it knowing it was messed and never bothered to fix it. Complaints about this was brought to their attention months ago.

edited September 2012

Bejaymac said:
    The problem with doing as suggested in the bug report is that you have to create a new material zone, it doesn't matter what you do that new MAT zone will have be written into the figures main DSF file, and you can't distribute that file.

Exactly, which means DAZ has to fix this themselves.

Failing the vendor/DAZ fixing this, then the only choice is to export the mesh, fix the UV in something like UV Mapper, then use the "load UV set" function in the Surfaces tab's options menu to import the fixed .obj's UV into the figure, then you can go "file > save as > support asset > UV asset" and save a custom UV DSF, which you can then freely distribute with your textures.

Not sure if UVmapper could fix the UV's of the Basic Suit. I'd love to be able to learn how to do that. Are you willing to do a step by step process of how to do what you just said? :)

And btw, I love your Avatar! So cute! :)

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    I just find it sad that they released it knowing it was messed and never bothered to fix it. Complaints about this was brought to their attention months ago.

Some time ago, I started a thread to try and get Daz's attention on bringing Steph 4 Iconic Shape for Genesis out of the vault and into the store. I didn't quit until it was done. Now look, she's in the store where she belongs. :)

I'm not going to let this go. I'm going to keep nagging Daz until they fix this.

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

I agree that they should fix it, but I think this is something I can fix in a redistributable way, so I will try it as soon as my husband takes my son to visit Grandma for the afternoon (otherwise my son tries to "help" - he is 4...) Being able to load alternate UVs is one of the cooler features of DS and I've done some stuff with that already. I'll drop back in the thread in a little while and show you what I have.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:

I'd be interested to know how to do this as well.

edited December 1969

Canary3d said:
    I agree that they should fix it, but I think this is something I can fix in a redistributable way, so I will try it as soon as my husband takes my son to visit Grandma for the afternoon (otherwise my son tries to "help" - he is 4...) Being able to load alternate UVs is one of the cooler features of DS and I've done some stuff with that already. I'll drop back in the thread in a little while and show you what I have.

Awesome. I can't wait to see what you come up with. ;)

edited September 2012

Okay, can someone test this out? If it works I'll add it to the freepository.

In order to keep the aspect ratio the same and allow square textures, I opted to scale the torso section down slightly rather than squishing it (I didn't want to rearrange everything and break the rest of the UV, I just separated the back section). I'm open to suggestions for better ways to do it. Unfortunately putting them on separate panels means a different MAT zone as others have mentioned up above.

[Link removed while I get permission from DAZ to redistribute these]

I've included a DS UV asset that should appear as an option when you load a new suit (after you unzip the zip into your library, that is), and I've also included a UV Mapper UV set, in case the other method doesn't work. There's also a set of templates.

example.jpg
    512 x 512 - 122K
    Post edited by Canary3d on
    edited September 2012

I'm gonna test this out! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Um. I thought that UV-maps needed to be RTEncoded against the original package to prevent data pilferage..? Since they contain geometry etc.

edited September 2012

Changes to the OBJ need to be RTE encoded, if you're going to distribute the 3d change - UVs can be encoded separately (either as exported uv mapper UVs or as a DAZ uvs support file) without any need to distribute the OBJ. RTE-encoding is basically a way to distribute a "change file" for an OBJ that requires someone to have the original OBJ, so it's possible to include UVs in it, but it's more for stuff like adding a tail to an existing figure.

DAZ Studio allows you to save the UVs along with any MAT file you create, also. UVs are proprietary regardless of the OBJ file so you have to be careful about which UVs you do this with, but since the supersuit UVs are built in (rather than being an add-on like V5) there shouldn't be any way to use them for anything but the Supersuit.

Anyway the gist is that the two UV distribution methods I'm using won't allow any geometry to be reverse engineered out of them; they just apply as changes after you load the geometry you already own.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited September 2012

Not for a DSON file - the uv map is a separate file that can just be dropped into Data\Maker\Product\Base\UV Sets, and shared (as long as it's the sharer's work, of course). Edit: Actually, if these are just the old UVs moved around then yes, it does need permission from DAZ.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited September 2012

This is a DSF file, Richard (not sure why, I'm using 4.5 but that's how it saves a UV support asset). It's based on the original supersuit UV, which isn't mine, but since that's not something that will work on anything but the supersuit, and isn't an add-on like various Genesis UV's, I believe it's acceptable to redistribute.

Oh and it also has a 3d mapper .uvs file, which I believe is just the UVs without the geometry.

edited December 1969

Ah! I stand corrected! :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

The same could be said of the common vertices around the edge of a GeoGraft, but the legal requirement (however silly) iss till that you ask permission. Until someone says otherwise I think that has to be the assumption here. A new uv mapping would be OK of course.

As an aside, .duf is for user files - those that appear in the Content panes. Data files are still using the .dsf file extension.

edited September 2012

So, Richard...are you saying what Canary3D just did can't be done without Daz's permission? They are just the UV's without the geometry. Surely that can be redestributed.

edited December 1969

Canary3d said:
    Okay, can someone test this out? If it works I'll add it to the freepository.

In order to keep the aspect ratio the same and allow square textures, I opted to scale the torso section down slightly rather than squishing it (I didn't want to rearrange everything and break the rest of the UV, I just separated the back section). I'm open to suggestions for better ways to do it. Unfortunately putting them on separate panels means a different MAT zone as others have mentioned up above.

http://www.canary3d.com/free/SupersuitBasic-FixedTorsoUVs.zip

I've included a DS UV asset that should appear as an option when you load a new suit (after you unzip the zip into your library, that is), and I've also included a UV Mapper UV set, in case the other method doesn't work. There's also a set of templates.

This is all free to redistribute with your textures - you can include the whole zip or just repackage the bits you need, whatever works for you. :) That's stated in the ReadMe as well.

Tested! Thankfully, I didn't have to do the UVmapper method. It works! :)

Now, hopefully this can be redistributed.

edited September 2012

I'll take it down and get permission - thanks, Richard! And thanks for testing (and pointing out the original problem), Knight22179

edited September 2012

Your welcome, Canary3D! Hopefully you will get permission. Let us know if you get that, ok? :)

edited December 1969

Will do!

edited December 1969

Come on, Daz...fix this please.

edited October 2012

Well, it's been confirmed. Got a reply from my Support Ticket. I've got some bad news.

Daz is not going to fix the Supersuit. Instead, the guy who responded to my support ticket pointed out the temperary fix on the bug report that someone posted.

So, that leaves us with a broken product we can't even use. Thanks Daz. :coolmad: