Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    try these in post when you get a chance http://davidpaterson.deviantart.com/art/CLOUD-BRUSHSET-137672182

add drop shadows and make them grey and white etc works not bad

Wow. Someone other than me is suggesting that you do an effect in Photoshop rather than using only the built-in Carrara effects? I'm almost speechless. This could be a first. :)

Anyway, I agree about the shadows. Keep in mind that usually smoke casts its own shadows, not only on surrounding areas, but more importantly on itself. Which gives it a 3D appearance, almost like a solid but transparent object. Also keep in mind the direction of the light, and make the areas facing the light brighter white, and those on the far side increasingly darker. I like to make a few layers in Photoshop, with varying transparencies and shades of gray. I'll layer a very dark smoke first, then lighter layers on top, using both big, fuzzy brushes and smaller, sharper brushes.

And if the wind is blowing, make sure to feather the smoke as part of it is caught up in the breeze. There's a lot of dynamics going on, both with the external winds, the rising smoke (if it's rising), and so on.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    de3an said:
    A Space ship I've been working on in Hexagon.
    Tried to make it look like Dr. Zarkov's from the old Flash Gordon serials.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Was more of a modeling exercise than anything else.

That looks awesome. The only thing you're missing is the strings! ;-)

Ha! I knew I forgot something. :lol:

They used strings!!! I that was all for real. Another piece of my childhood shattered.

Perhaps a good ol' Bikini Carwash would help restore your sense of youthful optimism!

Bikini-Car-wash-GI.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Here's a quik 'n crappy Photoshop smoke to help illustrate. I used 3 layers (white, mid, and dark) with varying brush sizes, transparencies, and hardnesses. The big fuzzies for the base, then the small, harder ones for the detail.

If you look at one of the million reference images for smoke on the web, you'll see that one of the things missing is detail, which would be the next step. A bit more sharpness in the swirlies will give it more interest. Another thing that is needed is a clearer sense of motion and dynamics.

Smoke1.jpg
    628 x 480 - 58K
  • booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    de3an said:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Was more of a modeling exercise than anything else.

They used strings!!! I that was all for real. Another piece of my childhood shattered.

Perhaps a good ol' Bikini Carwash would help restore your sense of youthful optimism!

Oh, yeah!!! Youthful optimism restored to full power. :cheese:

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    try these in post when you get a chance http://davidpaterson.deviantart.com/art/CLOUD-BRUSHSET-137672182

add drop shadows and make them grey and white etc works not bad

Wow. Someone other than me is suggesting that you do an effect in Photoshop rather than using only the built-in Carrara effects? I'm almost speechless. This could be a first. :)

Anyway, I agree about the shadows. Keep in mind that usually smoke casts its own shadows, not only on surrounding areas, but more importantly on itself. Which gives it a 3D appearance, almost like a solid but transparent object. Also keep in mind the direction of the light, and make the areas facing the light brighter white, and those on the far side increasingly darker. I like to make a few layers in Photoshop, with varying transparencies and shades of gray. I'll layer a very dark smoke first, then lighter layers on top, using both big, fuzzy brushes and smaller, sharper brushes.

And if the wind is blowing, make sure to feather the smoke as part of it is caught up in the breeze. There's a lot of dynamics going on, both with the external winds, the rising smoke (if it's rising), and so on.

Hi Joe, the perspective transform tool comes in handy as well , to give that sense of dwindling smoke trails into the distance etc

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    de3an said:

Well I;m 95 and suddenly feel 16 again :)
    That's a lovely sponge as well :)

• edited September 2012

Whew, I stay so busy these days, I hardly have any time for rendering :long:

I did manage to crank this one out recently though.

Just 2 lights, ambient occlusion, and a little bit of Photoshop:

Ugh, I just noticed a strange little line on her skin that shouldn't be there, oh well, lol.

GreenHairedMulberry-1.jpg
    751 x 1024 - 386K
    Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
    edited September 2012

head wax said:

Thanks!

The sponge is a simple spline object and procedural shaders, The foam is a metaball object with procedural shaders. I also modeled and rigged the hose. I was thinking of putting them up on ShareCG when I have the time. I already have the water shader up there.

I should also say that the water coming out of the hose is the particle emitter using metaballs and the water droplets on the bathing suits are little sphere primitives in surface replicators.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    Whew, I stay so busy these days, I hardly have any time for rendering :long:

I did manage to crank this one out recently though.

Just 2 lights, ambient occlusion, and a little bit of Photoshop:

Ugh, I just noticed a strange little line on her skin that shouldn't be there, oh well, lol.

Very nice work as always. The eyes are wild! Very cool.

• edited September 2012

Thank you, I've been searching for that perfect "sparkle" for a while a while now, I'll get it one of these days ;-)

I love your car wash render, you've got some really nice shading going on in there! The expression on that good 'ole boy in the muscle car is priceless as well, lol.

Ah, here's another one, something about it bugs me though, I'm not too happy the shadows that the hair is casting and the drapes on her crest remind me of shower curtains for some reason :ohh:

I had to use the "glowing teeth" method to prevent the ambient occlusion from blacking them out, it worked out fairly well I think.

Doc1-Edited.png
    1280 x 1024 - 2M
    edited December 1969

One thing about "out of the box" hair shaders is that they often need some work to look decent.

The "Battlefields" girl's hair looks a bit like paper, very opaque and matted. Which is fine if that's what you want. If not, you might try playing with opacity (alpha), translucency, and SSS. Often the included alpha maps are far too opaque, so you might have to do a multiply with a slider to bring down the opacity. But really it's an SSS/translucency effect.

Unfortunately there's no quick 'n easy fix, though the alpha tweak I suggested might help quite a bit.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Thanks!

The sponge is a simple spline object and procedural shaders, The foam is a metaball object with procedural shaders. I also modeled and rigged the hose. I was thinking of putting them up on ShareCG when I have the time. I already have the water shader up there.

I should also say that the water coming out of the hose is the particle emitter using metaballs and the water droplets on the bathing suits are little sphere primitives in surface replicators.

the foam looks pretty good you know, the water droplets are very effective - I admit to not noticing them the first time for some reason ;)

• edited December 1969

One thing about "out of the box" hair shaders is that they often need some work to look decent.

The "Battlefields" girl's hair looks a bit like paper, very opaque and matted. Which is fine if that's what you want. If not, you might try playing with opacity (alpha), translucency, and SSS. Often the included alpha maps are far too opaque, so you might have to do a multiply with a slider to bring down the opacity. But really it's an SSS/translucency effect.

Unfortunately there's no quick 'n easy fix, though the alpha tweak I suggested might help quite a bit.

Yeah, I did get a bit lazy with the hair, I mainly adjusted the hue for the diffuse textures in Photoshop to give it that freaky green color, added some spread to the highlight channel and said "to heck with it" lol.

Thanks for the pointers Joe, I'll give it another go tomorrow if I have the time ;-)

• edited December 1969

Okay, time for part 2, hopefully the hair is somewhat less "papery" looking this time, lol.

I took the easy way out for the sake of render time and used a darker texture along with some morph editing to help hide the flaws a bit better though :-P

GreenHairedMulberry-2Cropped.jpg
    777 x 1008 - 254K
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    Okay, time for part 2, hopefully the hair is somewhat less "papery" looking this time, lol.

I took the easy way out for the sake of render time and used a darker texture along with some morph editing to help hide the flaws a bit better though :-P

I actually like all three of your latest posts. Your images always pop. Great color combinations and a healthy amount of contrast.
    Not to mention, I'm a Mulberry fan. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    de3an said:

This is how they really flew the rocket. ;-)

Rocket-Crane3.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 188K
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

testing reflections, refractions and bounce light

Graphic.jpg
    1994 x 2000 - 2M
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

just a couple of quick things, messing around with stuff.

lana_dof5.jpg
    1000 x 1123 - 116K
    waiting_for_the_sun3.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 68K
    edited December 1969

love that hair Andy, very luminous, but also very believable - she must use a fine conditioner I bet :)

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Koukotsu said:

I actually like all three of your latest posts. Your images always pop. Great color combinations and a healthy amount of contrast.
    Not to mention, I'm a Mulberry fan. :coolsmile:

Agree! Always love your stuff. Mulberry rocks!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited December 1969

and from me Pirate king song
    nothing fancy but it DID render at 1fps with two fully clothed Genesis figures (took about 4hours)
    had issues on my original a day ago, kept getting "an error has occurred" after 4 frames but this one with the two figures saved seperately and nla clips reapplied (accidently put the same one on both!) worked fine! so a bit of a puzzle.

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    de3an said:
    de3an said:

If that's a composite, it's pretty awesome. I've been looking at it for some time trying to figure it out.

edited September 2012

de3an said:
    de3an said:
    de3an said:

And once again, my childhood is lying in pieces at your feet. Why oh why would you do such a thing. How many disillusioned senior citizens have to suffer for your horrible need to grind the fantastic dreams of their youth to dust.

Cool render, though.:-)

Post edited by booksbydavid on
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    just a couple of quick things, messing around with stuff.

That atmosphere is looking good. I can almost believe it's real.

edited December 1969

and from me Pirate king song
    nothing fancy but it DID render at 1fps with two fully clothed Genesis figures (took about 4hours)
    had issues on my original a day ago, kept getting "an error has occurred" after 4 frames but this one with the two figures saved seperately and nla clips reapplied (accidently put the same one on both!) worked fine! so a bit of a puzzle.

:lol: and I'm seasick.

edited December 1969

If that's a composite, it's pretty awesome. I've been looking at it for some time trying to figure it out.

:coolsmile: It is indeed a composit, and thanks for the complement. I'm happy to know that my efforts were effective.

The background image of the crane was taken some years ago with a point-and-shoot camera, and is not particularly sharp. I had to match the sharpness of the rendered rocket to the background and make sure that the lighting looked correct.
    The cables connecting the rocket to the crane hook were drawn in with Photoshop.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

This was fun to do, although the severe distortion made it interesting to frame the shot. And the translucency of the lense made adjusting the lighting interesting as well. I've got plans to do something similar with a different scene, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Close_Up_-_800x450.jpg
    800 x 450 - 160K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited December 1969

my car

my_corolla.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 414K
  • edited September 2012

Nice car Wendy! :)

Thanks for the compliments David and De3an, I've had plenty of practice rendering Mulberry, I'm willing to bet that 90% of my renders involve her somehow, lol.

Here's yet another one:

ForumImage-2.jpg
    657 x 960 - 304K
    ForumImage-1.jpg
    685 x 960 - 306K
    edited December 1969

You've done it once again, Koukotsu. :-)

This discussion has been closed.