edited December 1969

and....

Ks_Microfacet.jpg
    800 x 800 - 106K
    Specular.jpg
    800 x 800 - 100K
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited June 2012

As you can see the Alternate Specular node can be used to give you a variety of shiny / wet looks to your surfaces.

Soon I will be doing a tutorial on ultra shiny reflective surfaces in the Material Room

Post edited by LycanthropeX on
    edited December 1969

Sorry, not been in for a while, got kinda busy, i will get some more Poser tutorials up er soon

• cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi :)
    I have a question about shadows. I'm still using Poser 7.
    I got the awesome freebie Enchanted Island here at DAZ. It comes with props and a great backdrop. I set up a scene, lights and all then hit render... opps, there is a shadow from the head on the backdrop. The stone head should not cast a shadow on the moon, lol. I have no clue how to keep the background from catching shadows. I used to know how in DS2.3, but that was a while back, lol

edited December 1969

Not a perfect solution, but here is one way of doing it...

in the below image i selected each part of V4 that i did not want to cast a shadow, in the body parts property tab i unchecked "Casts Shadow", as you can see i turned off casts shadows for everything above her waist.

Another way to eliminate the problem is to render the background prop and the foreground elements separately. I do this quite often. Using the hierarchy editor I make everything in the scene invisible except the back drop, then render, then i turn the back drop off and turn everything else back on, and render saving it out as a PNG file, then in post i layer one over the other. no shadows on the BG

castshadows.jpg
    742 x 663 - 76K
  • cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks LycanthropeX, I'll give those tips a try. I was just thinking there was some setting I could use on the backdrop prop to keep it from accepting the shadow. I'll give that separate render thing a try, sounds like the best solution for now! I appreciate your response!
    Have a great day.

• edited December 1969

Hi and thanks for running this thread, L. Been following with interest and have picked up lots of tips and tricks thus far…

My prob: I have just purchased Stonemason’s amazing Streets of the Mediterranian, and want to create some really nice Mediterranian sky sunlight lights… I have been experimenting (with blues and white etc) but wanted to know from a pro like yourself how you would go about creating such a light set up…!?!
    I also have been getting dark oblong shaped artefacts on some of the roof tiles and floor slabs when using Raytraced (my norm for years now) with AO checked - to give me some of those nice dirty nodes for added realisim. I think the AO is causing the problem, as when I switch off (AO) and increase the shadow minimum bias the problem goes away.

I use the aged Poser 6 software by the way…

Tony D

edited December 1969

sabred said:
    Hi and thanks for running this thread, L. Been following with interest and have picked up lots of tips and tricks thus far…

My prob: I have just purchased Stonemason’s amazing Streets of the Mediterranian, and want to create some really nice Mediterranian sky sunlight lights… I have been experimenting (with blues and white etc) but wanted to know from a pro like yourself how you would go about creating such a light set up…!?!
    I also have been getting dark oblong shaped artefacts on some of the roof tiles and floor slabs when using Raytraced (my norm for years now) with AO checked - to give me some of those nice dirty nodes for added realisim. I think the AO is causing the problem, as when I switch off (AO) and increase the shadow minimum bias the problem goes away.

I use the aged Poser 6 software by the way…

Tony D

oops, I stopped getting ebots for this thread, so i missed your question, do you still need help with this?

edited December 1969

just a heads up, I now have Poser 8, Poser Pro 2010, Poser 9 and Poser Pro 2012. I have older versions as well, but that is what I have installed currently. I just got Poser Pro 2012 last week and I have been learning lots of new things, i'll post some tricks, tips and tutorials as I learn things.

• edited December 1969

Yeah I guess the problem still persists, though I haven't tried much with the Med package since then (I forgot about this thread), plus I was suffering a few crashes with the Med package, if I added a V4 character with some system heavy clothing plus props into the amazing village set up...!!! Those artefacts thingies are annoying at the best of times...

Wow you certainly have managed to utilize those various Poser upgrades... Am jealous...

Tony D

edited December 1969

actually Poser 7 was the last version I paid for, 8, 2010, 9 and 2012 were all from contest wins.

do you have an image you could post showing the problem? I have a couple ideas of what it might be, but i can't be sure till i see it

• edited December 1969

OK here goes with my attempt at adding an image:

Mediterranian_Streets_basic_default_lights_1_and_2_3.jpg
    1658 x 881 - 1M
  • edited December 1969

The artefacts (that's what I'm calling them anyways) show/are similar on the roof tiles as they are here on the floor/ground tiles/slabs... The settings in AO are as previously mentioned. I have found a few freebie props doing likewise, and often do not use these item/s again...!!!

edited December 1969

wow um ok, not what i was expecting to see, never seen anything quite like this one

I think you are right, I think AO is the problem. I have had something like that happen with AO but never quite like this one.

as for creating Mediterranean Sunlight... hmmm i've never been there, so buy me a plane ticked and i will go check it out and get back to you... :D

I find a big problem most people have when lighting 3D scenes is they are afraid to go too light or too dark. They light everything like its a studio photo shoot. I have a background in Comic Books and Gothic Horror, so I am not afraid of the dark, dark moody brooding shadows are great. For outdoor sunny days I like to go the opposite. Ever been out on a summer day where even with sunglasses on you are forced to squint? That is the day time sun i like. Bright over exposed, hurt your eyes sun. That is one thing I love about Poser lights. 100% is not the limit, you can set Poser lights at 1000% if you want. I always tend to amp up my lights quite a bit for outdoor day time shots. Another thing I do a lot is I use spotlights with light gels. I create seamless tile images and then in the materials room i add them to the diffuse node on my lights. This adds shadows of things that are not in the scene. Like if I am doing a jungle or forest scene, instead of adding a ton of trees for the light to shine through, i can use a light gel image to create the same effect with less render time.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 1969

posting here so I find this thread again mostly and do not re-ask dumb questions ;-P
    I did have Poser7 for last 3 years so not all dumb %-P
    in fact I am dumber when it comes to studio in many ways
    Carrara has been my exclusive software of choice with some iClone dabbling most my 3D life.

two quick dumbass queries though

1) shadows without raytracing at fairly low settings were easy enough in P7 but in my one day old PP2012 had to go higher to get any at all and cannot hide the ground like I can in P7
    2) scene tree, I have always used the animation window to find stuff in the scene, I have never found a scene tree in Poser, is there one?

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited March 2013

posting here so I find this thread again mostly and do not re-ask dumb questions ;-P
    I did have Poser7 for last 3 years so not all dumb %-P
    in fact I am dumber when it comes to studio in many ways
    Carrara has been my exclusive software of choice with some iClone dabbling most my 3D life.

two quick dumbass queries though

1) shadows without raytracing at fairly low settings were easy enough in P7 but in my one day old PP2012 had to go higher to get any at all and cannot hide the ground like I can in P7
    2) scene tree, I have always used the animation window to find stuff in the scene, I have never found a scene tree in Poser, is there one?

On the first question, I'm sure others will have different experiences But I use HDR or IDL light source spots set at deep shadow map or you can use individual spot light set at Deep shadow maps for faster rendering time .. But ray-trace is always going to give you your best results. Also pp2012 uses Python much better for scripting effects lighting, I included a picutre of my manual preset i made to make my renders look more softer , I try to keep the bucket setting around 32 for the best shadows, You can start here and play around until you find the settings you like best,

I dunno if this will help you with your next question about the Obj elements manager
    What I did because I hate having to click each obj to get to the elements.
    I found this tool called eXtended Object Manager that I got at rendo ,But you can get it at smith-micro also, for me it works better than the poser default elements manager. especially if you want to use poser for animation.

Here is the link for it Wendy I hope that helps you.
    Renderosity - http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=88875 price$12,80
    Content Paradise - http://www.contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=11691 - price -$1200

setting.jpg
    658 x 577 - 48K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 1969

thx for those settings Ivy
    I will try them
    I was using just a spot for shadows and an ambient type distant light in P7 with deep shadow map but in PP12 it did not work as well
    I mostly just exported the pz3 scene and rendered in Carrara!
    loving 64bit dynamics though and hope to get DSON working so will be rendering in Poser more.
    Animation window does work quite well for selecting scene items, I just thought there was some other way I could not find.other that the drop down top left preview window menu,
    I listen to you because you really know your stuff with your fantastic videos.

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

Okay here's another question from a newbie on the software in title. Can you save a character made out of V4 morphs in poser( v9) for use in daz? How do you save custom characters in this anyways?

edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    Okay here's another question from a newbie on the software in title. Can you save a character made out of V4 morphs in poser( v9) for use in daz? How do you save custom characters in this anyways?

ok i know i am seriously necroposting here, i have been busy with all sorts of thing and haven't had a chance to keep up on this thread

Not sure if a figure morphed in Poser will work in Studio, not sure why not, so maybe, someone who knows more about Studio will have to answer that

Saving a character in Poser is easy. In your libraries when you open a folder there should be a plus symbol at the bottom some where, clicking that will add the character to the library. A trick I often use when doing large scenes with lots of characters is I morph the characters, apply textures, clothes, props and get them roughly posed how i will use them in the scene, then add them to a library folder named for the project i am working on. When i click the plus it will ask of i want to save the figure or the whole group, i check whole group and then when I go back to load that figure from the library it loads with all its clothing already conformed and props already parented, i just need to place the character where i want it in the scene and then refine the pose.

edited December 1969

I apologize for my long absence from this thread. A lot has been going on in real and project wise. But on the good news, I have Poser Pro 2014 and I have been learning all sorts of stuff in Poser, so I know the program better than ever and have a lot of kool new tips and tutorials on the way.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

Not sure if a figure morphed in Poser will work in Studio, not sure why not, so maybe, someone who knows more about Studio will have to answer that

Figures saved in Poser will work in DS as long as
    1) they use legacy rigging (not P9 weight-mapping or P8 capsule)
    2) binary morph targets are turned off

edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

Figures saved in Poser will work in DS as long as
    1) they use legacy rigging (not P9 weight-mapping or P8 capsule)
    2) binary morph targets are turned off

ok kool. I'm lucky if i get Studio to open so I really don't know how things work over there lol