Disabling shadows from objects

PookPook Posts: 121

And continuing my theme of asking really daft questions.....

Is there a quick and easy way to turn off objects casting shadows in DS4.9? I'm rendering a scene that I want to convert to a black and white line drawing, but one of the things I don't want is objects casting shadows on it....

Thanks for the continued help guys!

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317

If you render in 3Delight,  yes you can turn off shadows cast for the object in parameter pane, select object, under rendering,  cast shadows "off"

In an Iray render,  because its physically based,  you can't turn off shadows.

• PookPook Posts: 121

Hrm. I forgot about physics..... no wonder I couldn't find a way to switch it off in Iray!

Thanks for the info - looks like I'll have to switch to 3Delight for now and manually switch off everything. :)

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    I've not messed with the settings yet, but you can change from photo real in iray. I think it's supposed to give you more options

Might be worth checking - I'll take a look when my computer finishes this render... :)

• If you switch the Iray mode to Interactive instead of Photoreal you can switch shadows off.

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

You can also use canvases or mutiple renders and ad the opject without shadows in postwork

If you switch the Iray mode to Interactive instead of Photoreal you can switch shadows off.

Brilliant :) That's exactly what I was looking for!

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    Pook said:

Hrm. I forgot about physics..... no wonder I couldn't find a way to switch it off in Iray!

Thanks for the info - looks like I'll have to switch to 3Delight for now and manually switch off everything. :)

In 3Delight you can tell a light not to cast shadows, just look in the Light settings of the light's properties. If you don't want any shadows that can be less work that switching off shadows for all the objects in your scene.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

If you're converting to black and white line drawings, you may not want much tonality anyway, in which case light the scene with "flat" lighting -- a medium gray HDRi image is all you need. It will not cast discernable shadows.

Be aware Interactive mode comes with limitations, including not being able to use emissive objects to light the scene. Those work only in Photoreal, so if you're using them now, you'll have to select a different lighting method.  

Apart from that, also consider that there are more render shaders available for 3Delight that can help in painterly output. Iray is the harder way to achieve this look.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Richard, if I switch to Interactive do the settings I've put in remain or is everything put back to default?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I worked very hard to do 'drawn style' in Iray, over a bunch of months.

I gave up on it and switched to 3DL. First of all, 3DL gets a bad rap for being 'unrealistic.' 3DL can look VERY realistic, if you want. It can ALSO do some gonzo unrealistic stuff, waaaay easier than in Iray. I like Iray a lot, don't get me wrong, but I finally grabbed PWToon and felt silly for resisting it for so long.

The problem with trying to filter an image to look drawn is that algorithms can't easily figure out that this dark bit is part of an object and that dark bit is a shadow. You can jump through a lot of hoops with canvasses or render passes per object or whatever, but... toon shaders in 3DL are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier.