"Another" :) Converting Victoria 4 Footwear to Genesis 2 "Maybe G3F" Small Update

Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,978
edited March 2016 in The Commons

Now I know there are an couple of excellent tutorials by Sickleyield over at DA http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/A-Reminder-on-Autofitting-Shoes-to-Genesis-2-or-3-412985230 and http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Saving-Gen-4-Custom-Bones-on-Conversion-417250347 that talk about converting clothing and footwear..  But in "My Case" when following them with footwear especially I would always get unwanted results as such as minor to major deformation of the shoe or boot and would end up giving it away..

Well by pure dumb luck I tried something different this method borrows some elements from Sickleyields tutorials but with a slight difference..

This mini tutorial is mainly aimed at Genesis 2 Female but might work with Genesis 3 Female.. And so far I have only done this on the "Shoots" Stella's Night Boots and another set of boots not sure whose though and also on where you load the left and right shoes seperately but should again be the same with those items that load both together..

1: Load in G2F

2: Load up in this case the boot (have yet to try shoes) and make sure the autofit window comes up, when it does this is the most important part leave the "What figure was this item originally designed for" setting as unsupported, and leave the "What type of item is it" as none (though not sure if it makes any difference as you set it later on anyway). lol

3: Now the item is loaded and fitted to G2F but you will notice that it is not on the foot at all this is alright as it is intended, now comes the fun bit select the shoe select misc from the parameters tab and in the fit to tab select none this will unfit the shoe.

4: Now as per part of Sickleyields tute select G2F and adjust the leg and foot as much as you can till it is inside the shoe pose the foot as well once you have gotten the desired position head to step 5. 

Update: I have found that you can also adjust the height of Genesis 2 during the part 4 of the process, this is especially helpful when dealing with sandals and open toed shoes..  It does work and have had some good results..

5: Now that you have the leg and foot the way you want it in the shoe/boot select the shoe/boot go to Edit Menu up top select figure and then the transfer utility in there select the Source and G2F and the Target as the shoe/boot and leave the item shape settings at default.  You can select the desire projection template if you want this has no detrimental effect as far as I can tell. Under the General Options section deselect everything except morph targets, in post transfer options untick Fit to Source Figure box, but you can and should tick the Add Smoothing Modifier box and click accept at the bottom and let it run.

6: Once done select G2F in the scene list and Ctrl/Control click the shoe/boot so both are selected and click on the what looks like 4 lines with an arrow pointing in this should bring up a menu head down to Edit-Rigging-Transfer Rigging(Figure Space) and click, now that is done select the shoe/boot go to misc in the parameters pane and fit it to G2F and if all goes well will fit nicely with no deformation.

7: Now save the item as a figure / prop asset once done reset the positioning of the legs only and save the foot pose for the shoe/boot and you should be set with non deformed shoes / boots..

Hope this little tutorial helps and makes some sense.. :D

Update:  I have tested this idea on sandals and it is working you will need to tweak here and there but it does work well as well as those items that load both the left and right shoes/boots at once..

Update 1: I have found that using this method seems to work well on dresses, skirts and probably pants where you had that deformation at the front for reasons I could never figure out.. :D

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

Comments

• UnseenUnseen Posts: 606

Very useful tutorial. Thank you so much! :)

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,978

Thank you I was quite chuffed about figuring this issue I had out and have been going nuts, converting a lot of the footwear I could not do before.. :)

• alkenalken Posts: 253
    edited July 2015

Disregard

Post edited by alken on
  • alkenalken Posts: 253
    edited July 2015

Your tutorial is very helpful, best results I've seen so far. I converted a pair of V4's strappy heels to G2F.  Looking forward to converting more shoes.

Post edited by alken on
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

I'll try this on the boots giving me toubles in antoher thread...

• LilithVXLilithVX Posts: 36

Nice tutorial. I Also read the one from SickleYield before. :3

But I have to say that to completely avoid some disortions I have to just send the shoes to Hexagon and back again, thus creating either a morph or as a new mesh. It's the only way to avoid all problems I noticed, with really high heels. Unfortunately when you twist your foot it does not bend correctly with the foot, it looks like the heel is attached to the floor. I'm guessing it's a bone issue? Trying all kinds of ways I have not been able to solve this.

FumikoM said:

Nice tutorial. I Also read the one from SickleYield before. :3

But I have to say that to completely avoid some disortions I have to just send the shoes to Hexagon and back again, thus creating either a morph or as a new mesh. It's the only way to avoid all problems I noticed, with really high heels. Unfortunately when you twist your foot it does not bend correctly with the foot, it looks like the heel is attached to the floor. I'm guessing it's a bone issue? Trying all kinds of ways I have not been able to solve this.

Yeah I have tried sending the item to Hex but can be very time consuming especially if you are converting over 20+ types of footwear.. The main issue with how autofit works is that when you do set the figure type to Vicky4 the shoe would be sheared and distorted around the foot area and the heal would be completely mangled..  The way I describe is for somewhat mass converting that keeps the shoe/boot relatively intact and distortion free.. Where this method does suffer is on open toed footwear as the shoe/boot will be bigger than the foot, is why this way is better for boots where the feet are pretty much hidden..

• Been trying your method, but no real success, mostly with open toe heels for V3. Always during the Edit-Rigging-Transfer Rigging(Figure Space)  step it goes bad and then it does not fit. any ideas?

Been trying your method, but no real success, mostly with open toe heels for V3. Always during the Edit-Rigging-Transfer Rigging(Figure Space)  step it goes bad and then it does not fit. any ideas?

Not really sure about that as this method is for Vicky 4 footwear, but will see what I can do.. :)

• Been trying your method, but no real success, mostly with open toe heels for V3. Always during the Edit-Rigging-Transfer Rigging(Figure Space)  step it goes bad and then it does not fit. any ideas?

You can try exporting the shoes as .obj's. After you've transferred the rigging, use morph loader with the .obj's to create morphs that will restore the shoe's shape back to what they were. Set the morphs to 100% and lock them.

• Yea ghosty12 I ve been trying to fit V4 foorwear, mostly sandals and open toe high heels to G2 and G3. On both cases during the step described above the shoe gets messed up and it does not fit...

AlienRenders I appreciate the suggestion but it becomes a bit cumbersome if you want to repeat that for 10-12 pairs or more. If no other methods work I will try it! Thanks!

edited March 2016

Yea ghosty12 I ve been trying to fit V4 foorwear, mostly sandals and open toe high heels to G2 and G3. On both cases during the step described above the shoe gets messed up and it does not fit...

AlienRenders I appreciate the suggestion but it becomes a bit cumbersome if you want to repeat that for 10-12 pairs or more. If no other methods work I will try it! Thanks!

Oh not sure what could be going wrong with the Edit-Rigging-Transfer Rigging(Figure Space) part, though it could be that the particular shoe just does not want to play ball..  There are some that won't, I have had some act up while using this method and I usually just skip them.. 

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

Ok..trying this again...

First pic is where I end up at the end of the instructions..which is pretty good. 

2nd Pic is what happens when I make it so the boot is on the ground flat///as you can see it warps.

This is the fly in the ointment on this I need to figure out :(

Screenshot 2016-05-01 22.07.11.png
    546 x 633 - 173K
    Screenshot 2016-05-01 22.07.34.png
    570 x 442 - 155K

thought, maybe hitting genesis first might help...nope.

Screenshot 2016-05-02 17.40.12.png
    454 x 338 - 111K
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited May 2016

One thing I found was the for some reason fitting the shoes in the first step to the G2F ultra bodysuit instead of G3F somehow made the shoes mangle up a lot less and conversion was a LOT better. Cannot explain this but I posted some examples somewhere, if I can find the link with my specific process I'll post it here.

EDIT: Found it.  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/62633/generic-morphing-genesis-2-shoes-for-autofitting-v4

Here's an example of Idler168 pump fitted to G2F. Following the procedure above as written mangled the hell out of it. Doing step 2 with a fit to the ultra bodysuid instead of directly to G2F and then following the rest of the steps as written  yeilded a much better result for some reason.

Shoe Fit Using Ultra Bodysuit.jpg
    1188 x 950 - 41K
    Post edited by grinch2901 on

You'll note I started that thread :D  An earlier attempt to get things working great.  I have a new way, which after I test it on the boots I was above, I'll post back here :)

YAY! My new plan works, and while maybe a bit longer in the doing, the results are excelent.

What I'm doing is NOT converting the v4 shoes to G2F, but instead turning them into props/objects, than just rigging them as if they're new, using niccipb's shoe rigging tutorial.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/61954/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/DS4-TutorialRigging-High-Heels-for-Genesis-rev1

My steps before the tutorial are:

1) Load v4.

2) Load the boots/shoes...fit to v4 if needed.

3) Apply v4 shoe pose if needed.  (This is because higheel shoes will load somewhat bent, and you want them in their flat on the ground being worn position).

4) Load G2F

5) Position v4's thighs so the legs fit the G2F stance. (I don't know if this step is needed)

6) Hide v4 and G2F

7) Export to obj, using th Daz settings

At this point you can just follow the rigging tutorial, BUT in this case I was combining a set of left and right boots into a single item, so:

8) Import the object

9) using the Geometry Editor,

a) combine the shoe's duplicated surfaces. (so boot and boot-rightboot get combined into just boot).

b) Delete the now empty faces

10) export the boots, saving over the previous version.

Now, follow the rigging tutorial.  At the end, you might need to fix the surface names if you want to use exisiting material sets.

Screenshot 2016-05-03 17.22.28.png
    881 x 692 - 233K
    Screenshot 2016-05-03 17.23.11.png
    827 x 684 - 278K
    Screenshot 2016-05-03 17.23.21.png
    824 x 639 - 399K
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

How do they hold up when you pose the feet? Sometimes unposed stuff looks great but unless you monkey with the weight maps they warp up badly when you bend the foot.  I haven't figured out the weight mapping techniques yet so I have never been able to make that tutorial work yet.

Flexxing the feet will begin to warp them. SO generally, the foot pose I make is needed when the body gets posed. Of course, boots shouldn't hve too much flex in them anyhow.

For now, I'm using the default weight maps that get set up in the transfer utility. I haven't learned enough to be able to alter them correctly.

• edited January 2017

Really great man, refresh because it's very helpfull, tyvm, had problems to fit Genesis 2 to Genesis 3.

Post edited by shambleresp_eb83ebd029 on