Polygon Modeling, Post your creations: A New Beginning

167891012»

Comments

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Wow, Roygee,  you are a modeling fiend.    Nice stuff and yes I did get the picture frame ,I updated the render a couple posts up. 

Roygee said:

The living room is looking really great - well done on putting it all together.  Collaborative effort is really fun:)

I take it you now have the picture-frame?  This has inspired me to make a range of frames - even though I'm retired these many years, still can't find enough time in a day!

Made some progress on the bedroom - just a few more parts to bevel, then - ugh - UV mapping and texturing.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited March 2016

mmoir said:

Hey guys ,   Here is a couple images of the Living room with most of the models in it, I just noticed Roygee's picture which isn't in there.   I have a regular render and a TOON render which I thiink would be good for the final animation.  This team effort  looks pretty good I think , now we just need a character and start animating. smiley  You  can download the Living room complete Final file in  The Modeling Assets Page.

My Daughter did not have time yet to do the story boards even as thumbnails with all the work she has due for class.

i will see if I can come up with some this week. I need to take an ITIL Exam on Tuesday so that kills that evening.

My daughter has a female Lilo and Stitch style character turnaround that is just the line art at the moment that we could use for the kid. I should be able to post it up on Thursday or Friday night. If needed she indicated she could photoshop it for the coloring.

Post edited by chickenman on
    edited March 2016

Chickenman,  I was planning on just using the "Child" genesis figure with a modeled hair prop. A new character is alot of work to get wroking with all the facial  stuff for animation, I also have the character that is on the  top of The Modeling Assets Page. I would just need to change his hair .

Post edited by mmoir on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited March 2016

Bedroom done - posted at Hightail note added to the Modelling Assets Page -can't figure out how to append a link there - can someone please guide me?

I have always struggled with carrara lighting - hopefully you guys will do it better:)

EDIT:  Darn, forgot to add some shine to the woodwork, no wonder it looks dead:(.  If you use this scene, please add 50% highlight and 5% shininess to all wood shaders; makes a world of difference.

room.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Roygee on

Very nice Roygeeyes,  For adding the link to the Assets page.  follow the steps below.

1.  copy the url location from Hightails or wherever your file is.

2. Click the link icon on the assets page. (see image)

3. A pop up window appears on the screen where your cursor was.

4.Type in the Text you want your link to say and Paste the url  link in the 2nd box. 

Roygee said:

Bedroom done - posted at Hightail note added to the Modelling Assets Page -can't figure out how to append a link there - can someone please guide me?

I have always struggled with carrara lighting - hopefully you guys will do it better:)

EDIT:  Darn, forgot to add some shine to the woodwork, no wonder it looks dead:(.  If you use this scene, please add 50% highlight and 5% shininess to all wood shaders; makes a world of difference.

RoygeeLinkSample.jpg
    943 x 918 - 114K
    mmoir said:

Chickenman,  I was planning on just using the "Child" genesis figure with a modeled hair prop. A new character is alot of work to get wroking with all the facial  stuff for animation, I have the character that is on the  top of The Modeling Assets Page. I would just need to change his hair .

No Problem, I will work on the Thumbnails this week then when I have a chance.

Thanks, Mike - spotted a few errors.  Strange how that always seems to happen when I take a look a few hours later.  On another forum someone asked how to tell when a work is done - my answer was it is never done:)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    Roygee said:

Thanks, Mike - spotted a few errors.  Strange how that always seems to happen when I take a look a few hours later.  On another forum someone asked how to tell when a work is done - my answer was it is never done:)

You would make George Lucas proud. ;-P

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    Roygee said:

I know that feeling well.  It's why I started entering contests and challenges on a bunch of sites.  By setting a deadline they force me to pick a point and say "that's as good as it is going to get."  Without that I tend to just keep fiddling with things forever.  

I also find that working within constraints and themes sparks my creativity more than just staring at a blank scene does, but that's a different conversation.

mmoir said:

Hey guys ,   Here is a couple images of the Living room with most of the models in it, I just noticed Roygee's picture which isn't in there.   I have a regular render and a TOON render which I thiink would be good for the final animation.  This team effort  looks pretty good I think , now we just need a character and start animating. smiley  You  can download the Living room complete Final file in  The Modeling Assets Page.

This is actually a really nice scene and it's amazing how quickly it came together when you break it down and have a bunch of people working on parts of it.  It's better than some things I've seen in various stores. :)

Fixed some scaling and texturing issues and changed the colour scheme at my wife's insistance - like I do at home every couple of years:)

Try as i might, can't get the ceiling to show white - it has the same shader as the skirting board and crown molding and plenty of light.  But, unlike George Lucas, there will be no sequel or prequel - I'm calling this one done!

Unless....

room.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M

Roygee,  This is awesome and will work perfectly for the scene., well done.  yesyes..   Yes , I find lighting the ceiling is a pain.  I usually apply a slight glow to the ceiling shader or you could add a light that only effects the ceiling.  

Roygee said:

Fixed some scaling and texturing issues and changed the colour scheme at my wife's insistance - like I do at home every couple of years:)

Try as i might, can't get the ceiling to show white - it has the same shader as the skirting board and crown molding and plenty of light.  But, unlike George Lucas, there will be no sequel or prequel - I'm calling this one done!

Unless....

mmoir said:

Roygee,  This is awesome and will work perfectly for the scene., well done.  yesyes..   Yes , I find lighting the ceiling is a pain.  I usually apply a slight glow to the ceiling shader or you could add a light that only effects the ceiling.  

Roygee said:

Unless....

I agree with mmoir - I played with the bedroom (mostly because I just like seeing how other people model things laugh) and there's nothing wrong with the ceiling shader other than the fact that it had the refaction turn way up for some reason, but with no transparency or translucency that wouldn't affect anything.  If you do any of the normal "I need more light" things, like turn on gamma at 2.2, crank the indirect light, or turn up the intensity of the bulb the ceiling goes more toward white (of course the rest of the scene starts to blow out a little bit too).  Honestly, it's not that different from a real world room: the ceiling just doesn't normally get as much light as your probably think it does - I took a quick picture of the room I am sitting in right now with just the ceiling light turned on and color picked the ceiling in the photo and it is very grey, and since I painted that ceiling myself I know for a fact that it's white. 

Thanks, guys - the shader is one I picked up from Weebly Shaders "Acryllic White" - no idea why it would have refraction.  I guess I could split off the ceiling and give it a light which only affects that.  Anything else blows out all the colour in the rest of the scene.  

I'll leave any further adjustments to the animation team - they may not even need a view of the ceiling:)

edited March 2016

Hey guys ,

Just an very quick render showing the character I did integrated into the scene.  I uploaded the complete living room scene with character so the people who want to try and animate him can .  The file is also on the

The Modeling Assets Page.

I have the package of balloons on the coffee table , the only thing you would have to add is the actual balloon. the character has morphs for the eyes, eyelid,eyeballs, hair and face(mouth) It is very rough but we should be able to animate him enough for this animation.smiley This animation is using very rough setttings , I just wanted to see the integration of the character with the living room and some of the morphs in action.

Post edited by mmoir on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

Has this group project passed me by?

edited June 2016

No and Yes the group trial project is pretty much done I just need to find some time to finnish / Finalize the movie. 

here is the trial / first draft link 

The actual one turned out to be a different project than we expected.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=382&t=1348539

Post edited by chickenman on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    The actual one turned out to be a different project than we expected.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=382&t=1348539

Do you mean that Mike give up this trial project ?

This collaboration test is very important for Carrarators !

The only thing left is the final video version which I still need to finalize with the audio.

Then the trial is done. Now we have a way forward if we would like to try anouther contest.

This way worked very well I think.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited July 2016

I've looked for a thread like this with no luck so created Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A Come One and All just the other day. Looks like I will be posting here also and may just drop mine alltogether.  Good stuff here, I've just mentioned here as a Modeling source in my thread for anyone who stumbles upon mine.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816

So many great threads so hard to find and a wealth of knowledge lost on old forum archive

edited June 2016

I've been messing with rocks, boulders and rock structures recently. The boulder pics below have basically the same texture applied to them but in pic 2 I made a 3 adjustments to color and bump. I'm still tweaking the shader to get what looks best to me. Oh yea... in each pic both sides/angles are shown. Since Carrara 4 I'd never taken the time to play with all the tools in the vertex modeler. On the bolder I used Magnet, soft select and then pulled and prodded some vertices. I started this out by adding a 3d sphere in the Vertex room. These both have smoothing on but look as good with it off except for the left side where I tried creating some character to the bolder... only noticeable difference is that the left side shows a bit sharper where I manually moved some vertices.

Any critique good/bad is welcome.

Boulder_03_sh1.png
    640 x 480 - 201K
    Boulder_03_sh2.png
    640 x 480 - 289K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

hya they look fine,

I've been using the organic thing in the modelling room to make mine,

then using the rock texture as a displacement map

works pretty good too ;)

Great... I can quit messing with this one and move onto much smaller rocks and then river stones, nice and smooth like for a creek. Once I'm done I'll be moving onto plants and see how my luck goes there. I took a break for some unknown reason between C6 and C8.5. I did make a rather nice looking pumpkin in C6... now of course I know how to make one with less work.

I'll have to give the organic thingy a try again. I only tried it once with no effect but then I had no idea what it would do.

I've learned more since getting C8.5 than any earlier versions since I've started watching videos and taking part in the Fourms. Vertex Modeling is Funnn!