Polygon Modeling, Post your creations: A New Beginning

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

That's a nicer TV stand than the one in my living room!

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited March 2016

Here is the model of the bookshelf, I modified it quickly to make a Cabinet also.  I updated  The Modeling Assets Page.

Bookshelf.jpg
    832 x 716 - 53K
    Post edited by mmoir on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Thanks, Mike - I messed up the texturing on the stand - will send in a replacement in a couple minutes:)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited March 2016

deleted double post

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2016

I think I probably should just start over on that four-armed shirt, now that I have some clue what the heck is going on. Specifically so that I can make sleeves I can more easily separate into material zones, for UV mapping.

When you get to the stage of uvmapping, you probably should use unwrap seams/pins for the sleeves.  If you try to use the cylinder preset, be aware that one of the edge rows of polygons of the cylinder will overlap.  if your cylinder has 8 rows, only 7 will appear because one will be overlapping another row.  You can use the cylinder preset and then fix it, but you should be aware of it.  It is a known bug just for that preset.

Post edited by Diomede on

Someone asked if there was anything else to model so I added some more models to the list . Check out the updated list on The Modeling Assets Page. if you  want to model something else,The reference images are just a guide , if you model the object a little different that is okay too.  I must say the response has been great and I have seen some great models. yes

Back on the previous topic of UV mapping for a moment. I made this medieval style window frame, and for ages I was pondering how to map it. Eventually I found the solution, but I wonder if you can work it out quicker than I did? I'll post the map and the answer in a bit. Points awarded for ideas on how to make the arch shape. BTW, the arches are symmetrical on both X and Y axes, and the infill is just the front and back faces of a cube with bits cut out.

Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 15.48.08.png
    893 x 876 - 319K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited March 2016
    mmoir said:

Someone asked if there was anything else to model so I added some more models to the list . Check out the updated list on The Modeling Assets Page. if you  want to model something else,The reference images are just a guide , if you model the object a little different that is okay too.  I must say the response has been great and I have seen some great models. yes

I did the wall clock - it's missing a second hand and is pretty basic.  I added the link to the assets page but I'm not sure if it's in the right spot. :)  Zip includes the .CAR file, the UV map and the diffuse map for the clockface (I saved the .CAR with the textures included, but the texture is there too just in case).  The hands move too - it took me a few minutes to figure out how the constraints worked since I never do any animation.

Clock Render

SimpleClock_Render.jpg
    640 x 676 - 36K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited March 2016

Ceiling fan. Blades spin. Hub lights up. smiley

ceilingFan.jpg
    640 x 480 - 33K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on

Someone asked if there was anything else to model so I added some more models to the list

Aah, now there are some interseting challenges:)  

Can't do anything before Monday because of RL, but we'll be right back:) 

Back on the previous topic of UV mapping for a moment. I made this medieval style window frame, and for ages I was pondering how to map it. Eventually I found the solution, but I wonder if you can work it out quicker than I did? I'll post the map and the answer in a bit. Points awarded for ideas on how to make the arch shape. BTW, the arches are symmetrical on both X and Y axes, and the infill is just the front and back faces of a cube with bits cut out.

Really neat:)  Looking forward to the UV mapping solution - love to see how orthers do things!

As to how it was made, I'm guessing five poly-circles, booleaned to make the arches, bottom curve verts deleted, verts moved down to form straight line, copy/paste, scaled down, moved back and ruled surface applied?

Something like this?

arch.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 215K

Tango,  Nice looking model  .   Uv mapping is one of my least favourite things in 3d frown  I guess for the mapping it depends on how close up you will see the final  in the render . If it is a bit of a distance just a front planar map would almost work , I look forwar to your answer.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,797

I'm enjoying watching the progress of this thread... interesting cool

MDO2010,  This clock looks awesome yes and  the model link is in the right place on the Assets page.  

MDO2010 said:
    mmoir said:

I did the wall clock - it's missing a second hand and is pretty basic.  I added the link to the assets page but I'm not sure if it's in the right spot. :)  Zip includes the .CAR file, the UV map and the diffuse map for the clockface (I saved the .CAR with the textures included, but the texture is there too just in case).  The hands move too - it took me a few minutes to figure out how the constraints worked since I never do any animation.

Clock Render

Tango Alpha ,  

This is perferctly donesmiley and I can see the balloon getting hit by those blades already. .   Do you have a link location for the model ?  I didn't see one on the  The Modeling Assets Page.  I think we can assemble the whole living room  for the first bunch of scenes for the movie.  .  

Ceiling fan. Blades spin. Hub lights up. smiley

I've had a go at the picture-frame..included a render of my own model of the Cutty Sark.

Insomnia has its rewards:)

picture_frame.png
    1200 x 900 - 517K

Sorry, had to rush out last night. Ive uploaded the model now. Here's a better image. smiley

ceilingFan.jpg
    800 x 600 - 20K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Here is my "Home made Lamp" for the common project.

Lampe de table.JPG
    949 x 722 - 127K
    Lampe de table.JPG
    949 x 722 - 127K
    Lampe table.jpg
    640 x 480 - 116K

Great lamps, ceiling fans, and other models. 

Here is my arch attempt.  I started with an oval divided in half and quarter.  After using delete and weld to get the interior, I extruded outward to get the frame.  I then scaled edges of the outer frame to get the rectangle.  Love these uvmapping quizzes.  Suggstions definitely welcome.  Thanks, Tim and Roy.  (Note - much easier in the spline modeler, but the mesh looks ugly if it needs to be converted to a vertex model).

arch 2 line up duplicate ovals.JPG
    1098 x 786 - 50K
    arch 6 delete interior.JPG
    800 x 819 - 49K
    Arch 8 mesh and uvmap.JPG
    1551 x 929 - 129K
    Arch 9 render with checkers.jpg
    640 x 480 - 26K

Thanks for the explanation TA - shows there are many ways to skin cats:)

I'd love to see more folks use the polyline and surfaces tools - most of my models start off with those and they give such smooth resukts.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

An update of my "Home made lamp".

Lampe tablev5.jpg
    640 x 480 - 168K

I love the way that there are as many different ways of doing it as there are people who answer the question. yes

Roygee had my methodology almost spot on, although I started with a vertex cylinder. I hollowed out the cylinder, leaving just the rim. 18 sides and 8 segments. I deleted the centre "edge" then scaled the other edges with symmetry to give me basically a hollowed out wheel rim. Make copies and position. It took a little bit of juggling because I wanted more pronounced crescents than shown in Diomede's example (there was a lot more overlap in the middle)

The 5 cylinders were booleaned using the 'keep all bits' option. Because of the double overlap, one cylinder needed some mesh removed first to avoid spurious cuts causing problems later on (this took several attempts to figure out!). Then the unneeded bits were discarded and the remaining verts welded. There was a little bit of cleanup to do, but it wasn't exceessive. Finally the side pieces were dropped to the floor. One level of smoothing was then applied and baked.

UV map: It's simply a 6 sided cube. The front and back are fine as is, but the other sides do need scaling for proportion. I plan to texture it with Mari (3d painting app that comes with Modo), so it should work out just great. As MMoir said, straight planar would almost work, but  it effectively leaves the sides as a single pixel, which would notice (probably fine for a distant window or a non-hero building though).

If you start off with poly circles and position them so that the verts match up, there is no cleaning up to do.

BTW, this method seems to be unique to Hexagon and Carrara - I've not come across it anywhere else - even the mighty Blender doesn't have this function - in fact, it is pretty poor compared th Hex as far as working with polylines is concerned.

To achieve the same result in Blender, I had to delete overlapping portions of the circles, then weld verts to get a complete shape for extrusion:)

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    Roygee said:

This is another test I did trying to UV map the T tube, it works fine with an irregular pattern, the problem is when I try to apply an image, however I think that I never will need to apply an image to that shape but I am wondering how to do it properly, this is the last try:

Hi Otodemus:)

If you like to do so, post your T-pipe and the image you would like put on it to a hosting site and let me have a PM with the link. 

Hi Roygee, thanks much friend, basically what I wanted to have is a checker texture applied to the shape, I have read that this would ensure that any texture be mapped correctly, and I really don't know how to upload the model, can anyone teach me please?

edited March 2016

Hey guys ,   Here is a couple images of the Living room with most of the models in it, I just noticed Roygee's picture which isn't in there.   I have a regular render and a TOON render which I thiink would be good for the final animation.  This team effort  looks pretty good I think , now we just need a character and start animating. smiley  You  can download the Living room complete Final file in  The Modeling Assets Page.

LivingRmRegRender.jpg
    1000 x 753 - 99K
    LivingRmToonRndr2.jpg
    1000 x 644 - 103K
    Post edited by mmoir on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

My Daughter did not have time yet to do the story boards even as thumbnails with all the work she has due for class.

i will see if I can come up with some this week. I need to take an ITIL Exam on Tuesday so that kills that evening.

edited March 2016

Roygee,   This looks great.    Do you have a link to the file or could you upload the link to the The Modeling Assets Page.  

I saw the file on the Hightails site so I added the link to the Assets page.  smiley

Roygee said:

I've had a go at the picture-frame..included a render of my own model of the Cutty Sark.

Insomnia has its rewards:)

Post edited by mmoir on

Otodomus, 

if you have your own web page you can host or upload the file there otherwise you will need to sign up to a file sharing site. There are lots of free sites out there and here are some links.

https://www.dropbox.com/

https://jumpshare.com/

http://www.freemake.com/blog/best-websites-to-share-files-online-fast-and-safe/

Just post the link to the file when it is uploaded to the site you join.

otodomus said:
    Roygee said:

This is another test I did trying to UV map the T tube, it works fine with an irregular pattern, the problem is when I try to apply an image, however I think that I never will need to apply an image to that shape but I am wondering how to do it properly, this is the last try:

If you like to do so, post your T-pipe and the image you would like put on it to a hosting site and let me have a PM with the link. 

Hi Roygee, thanks much friend, basically what I wanted to have is a checker texture applied to the shape, I have read that this would ensure that any texture be mapped correctly, and I really don't know how to upload the model, can anyone teach me please?

The living room is looking really great - well done on putting it all together.  Collaborative effort is really fun:)

I take it you now have the picture-frame?  This has inspired me to make a range of frames - even though I'm retired these many years, still can't find enough time in a day!

Made some progress on the bedroom - just a few more parts to bevel, then - ugh - UV mapping and texturing.

bedroomWIP.jpg
    1167 x 615 - 100K
  • otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    mmoir said:

Otodomus, 

if you have your own web page you can host or upload the file there otherwise you will need to sign up to a file sharing site. There are lots of free sites out there and here are some links.

https://www.dropbox.com/

https://jumpshare.com/

http://www.freemake.com/blog/best-websites-to-share-files-online-fast-and-safe/

Just post the link to the file when it is uploaded to the site you join.

otodomus said:
    Roygee said:

Oh thanks I have been using dropbox for some time to save space in my computer, I have uploaded the file now

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1u2odondbsanhpi/T Tube 3d model.car?dl=0

Regards

Otto