Genesis 3 in Poser 11 Mac version

Hi mac users.

estherau posted this in another forum

"It's easy. I just opened up winebottler which is a free utility and it made a little application. I'm just trying another one to see if I can package everything up into a stand alone application, but it's easy enough for all of you just to download the free winebottler. It makes your program think it is opening on a PC. No PC software required and no virus risks."

Comments

• What are you trying to do? Genesis 3 Starter Essentials comes as a zip which you can install with the Daz Install Manager.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Wine is a set of Linux libraries and executable that attempt to implement Windows APIs so Windows programs can be run on Linux. It would be OK for many or even most Windows programs but not the newest and most complex Windows programs that use the newest Windows APIs.

Now if you are talking Windows programs on osX then what you really probably want is to buy Parallels but if you want to run Winebottle go ahead. It's free and based on the same Wine that runs on Linux for years but likewise can't keep up with new Windows APIs as fast as they are coming out.

Also, given that you're at the DAZ forums you should know that DAZ Studio, Blender, Gimp, Poser, Unity, and most newer programs come in Mac versions too.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

This is about the utility from Rendo, which is currently Windows only.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

This is about the utility from Rendo, which is currently Windows only.

Oh, well that's not a biggy to wait on for Mac if they decide to. I though the OP were worried about virus and all that...

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577

I believe there is a Wine port for OS X. If not, Crossover Office is a commercial port of Wine (with a free trial) to OSX that'll likely do what you want. If the Windows program works like I expect, you'll need to install the .Net runtime in the Wine 'bottle" before you can run or perhaps even install it. 

• dullboydullboy Posts: 11

I don't know if the Mac version of DS 4.9 has it, but the Mac version of DS 4.8 does not have the convert from general to Triax weight-mapping. I loaded DS 4.9 in Parallels, and it is there, but for the moment, I don't have any of my content to try the conversion. When I get some time, I will update paths in Parallels to include my Mac side content library for Poser/DS and try from there. If someone could confirm that DS 4.9 on the Mac side has the proper commands, that would be great, as then I wouldn't have to go through this hoop-jumping, I could just update to DS 4.9 (I am not updating otherwise).

(This is a cross-post, just to get maximum coverage for an answer to my question.)

Do you have your serial number entered?  4.8 has it under Edit > Figure > Rigging on Mac.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,142
    edited March 2016

I'm on a MacBook Pro Retina running El Capitan.  In Studio 4.8, I have it and the same in 4.9 (on beta version since I need to keep 4.8 running for the time being, but I imagine it's the same).

4.8gen2triax.jpg
    790 x 766 - 100K
    Post edited by Cris Palomino on
    edited March 2016

I checked just now on my MacBook Pro, and it doesn't have it. I hadn't loaded a serial #, so I did that, and restarted DAZ Studio and still no joy. I am on Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite. I usually use my iMac Retina 4.0GHz for 3D stuff, so this problem applies to both a MacBook Pro and an iMac both with DAZ Studio 4.8 Pro and Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite.

P.S. It is possible that there is an issue with 10.10.x, since I am on Yosemite with both and you are on El Capitan, but I am not able to test it right now, as I am on the road and don't wish to bork my laptop should something go wrong with the upgrade.

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 20.55.00.png
    1398 x 465 - 275K
    Post edited by dullboy on

Try running the Update and Merge Menus script.

Try running the Update and Merge Menus script.

Where do I get it, and then how do I run it? As I look at my installation, the only script that shows up in my smart content is a render setting script.

It hould be in Utilities/Scripts, just double-click to run it.

It hould be in Utilities/Scripts, just double-click to run it.

I have looked at it (Utilities/Scripts) and there is only the render setting script I mentioned above. If I open my content library the script is in my Utilities/Scripts folder, but it is not showing up in DAZ Studio for some reason.

You can run it from Content Library > Daz Studio Formats > [foldername\] > Utilities > Scripts

I don't recall if there was any problem with Yosemite.  Are you not planning to update to El Capitan?

I don't recall if there was any problem with Yosemite.  Are you not planning to update to El Capitan?

I quit being bleeding edge about 5 years ago, and I just stay with what works. I have multiple computers and every version of OS and new CPU seems to cause me some heartburn that wasn't there prior to the upgrade, so without compelling reason (security or speed enhancements) I don't upgrade until forced to (and I hate being forced to).

You can run it from Content Library > Daz Studio Formats > [foldername\] > Utilities > Scripts

I was able to open the Scripts IDE and then file open the script and execute it from the IDE. Surprisingly, this did the trick, and I now have the menu item. Thank you for the tip.

edited March 2016

Ah, I never seem to run into OS problems and I'm what is considered a super-user as I do a lot more with my computers than most people.  El Capitan has been quite stable for me.  But good luck...I'm really not sure if this is OS related.  I just don't recall the function missing in Studio.  Maybe someone else has found similar trouble.  At the least, you can submit a bug report.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on

Ah, I never seem to run into OS problems and I'm what is considered a super-user as I do a lot more with my computers than most people.  El Capitan has been quite stable for me.  But good luck...I'm really not sure if this is OS related.  I just don't recall the function missing in Studio.  Maybe someone else has found similar trouble.  At the least, you can submit a bug report.

Fixmypcmike had the answer, thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I was once a super-user; now I just want to use my stuff and have it work without figuring out all the latest conflicts etc. I just purchased my wife a new iMac and it came with 10.11 preinstalled, so I may finally upgrade to keep us all on the same OS version, but since I've solved my immediate problem, I will probably default to the status quo.

• estheresther Posts: 608

HI lululee1

Just go to the winebottler website, download the app and any wine things you need to go with it.  then from winebottler find the .exe file from wildial and just open the .exe and run the softare to import your genesis 3 with expressions.

Love esther