new daz 3d site

SaitoSaito Posts: 38
edited December 1969 in The Commons

why was the site modified? i like the old way much better.

Comments

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Eric

Join the club. I liked the old way better too.

The short answer is the site was difficult (supposedly) to maintain. The staff seemed to keep it running fairly well from what I can tell.

The decision was made to move from the custom made solution to a potentially more easy to manage "off the shelf" solution.

The Daz crew is working Non-stop to make this new site viable. Hopefully, they will succeed.

Best of luck!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

THe old site was falling to pieces, it was literally held together with string, bits of wire and lashings of duct tape. It was taking the web guys all their time to jkeep it functioning.

• NimosNimos Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    THe old site was falling to pieces, it was literally held together with string, bits of wire and lashings of duct tape. It was taking the web guys all their time to jkeep it functioning.

Another words, they replaced a rusty, worn-out junky clunker with a shiny, brand new car. That's very nice, except they left out the lights, brakes, seats, and put the steering wheel in the trunk.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

As far as I can tell, strings, wire and duct tape seem to be a more powerful tool than brand new shiny Magento software... With them, store and forum was working, with Magento it does not. And what other job have web guys than to keep the site functioning? I thought that was what they are supposed to, it is their job description, no? What else would DAZ need them for?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited May 2012

chohole said:

Another words, they replaced a rusty, worn-out junky clunker with a shiny, brand new car. That's very nice, except they left out the lights, brakes, seats, and put the steering wheel in the trunk.

No, they ordered a new car and when it was delivered some of the parts weren't installed as promised. The clunker's engine blew up in the dealer's parking lot and they had to take the new car as is and install the missing parts themselves. However, overtime was mandated at work and they have to install the parts in the morning before showering for work and after midnight before going to bed.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Spending their full time holding it together (and at one point it took weeks to get some pending orders working) means they can't ever spend time adding new features.

• GnotMeGnotMe Posts: 131
    edited May 2012

chohole said:

No, they ordered a new car and when it was delivered some of the parts weren't installed as promised. The clunker's engine blew up in the dealer's parking lot and they had to take the new car as is and install the missing parts themselves. However, overtime was mandated at work and they have to install the parts in the morning before showering for work and after midnight before going to bed.

Kendall

Ever hear of testing things before you implementing them???

Beta testing even?

I suspected that it was commercial package which is why a whole bunch of features which were great are no longer available.

It's all backwards, computers and software are supposed to help us work easier, not force us to be slaves to some idiots who have no idea how the package is really meant to work for customers.

Post edited by GnotMe on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Everything was tested. When it went live something went wrong, which does happen when dealing with store. I have personal experience with this, which is why we test live also.

• gr_face3daebfgr_face3daebf Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

What the old website had that I really miss

You used to buy something and really liked it and out of my data base I can link back to the original products page...so I wonder what else this vendor-artist has and click on their name and get their other products which you might want to buy (no longer available)

As part of the buying decision is what other accessories or addons does this product have (no longer available)

You used to know how long a sale lasted or the fact you had to buy it by X date if you wanted the discount (no longer available))

You could set the page to show all the bloody details on one page, and not have to click on several tabs like you do now.

The design and functionality is a step backwards in my opinion
    ----
    Why does it show somebody elses name after I log in, on the store page and show some crazy number that is not even close to what I have in my wishlist? When I click on the "not so and so" link it takes me to another page that shows me. Little bit scary when you have stored credit card data held by Daz and on certain pages it reports correctly and on others it doesn't as to the identity of the person viewing the page.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Everything was tested. When it went live something went wrong, which does happen when dealing with store. I have personal experience with this, which is why we test live also.

Do you, by chance, know how long will DAZ be testing this site? It would be polite to e-mail customers and tell them something like: "we are testing now, come back in two weeks, everything will be running smoothly then."

Right now I am just plain angry. Store isn´t working again (wasn´t tomorrow either), we are all guinea pigs and no word about the whole mess from DAZ representatives (except a handfull of poor moderators who try to help but are powerless just as we are).

edited December 1969

chohole said:

As far as I can tell, strings, wire and duct tape seem to be a more powerful tool than brand new shiny Magento software... With them, store and forum was working, with Magento it does not. And what other job have web guys than to keep the site functioning? I thought that was what they are supposed to, it is their job description, no? What else would DAZ need them for?

I agree.

I once worked with an Engineer (at a television station) who used to say that the old transmitter and equipment provided him with job security. Things broke down all the time and he fixed them. Management never bothered him about anything.

We really don't need NEW features. We just need the old features to work right, which they were.

edited May 2012

Frank0314 said:

I hate to say this but as we all know at this point, the tests were inadequate.

Often, the problem with the testing is not having a very large number of users. Software that works fine with a smaller sample of 200 or even 1000, suddenly blows up when it needs to scale up by a factor or 10, or 100, or 1000. So you have to run some tests with the big numbers.

Do you think this is the most likely source of the problem?

Did you guys search for current and past users of the commercial software (not just the names of references they supplied) to see how well the software worked for prior customers, prior to going with it ? To see what kind of support they provided? Etc.

Did you consider all of the compromises you were making by going with software that could not implement (or easily and immediately) implement features that customers were using in the old patched up software? How much weight did that carry?

Thanks,

Dan

Post edited by GnotMe on
  • SissyBSissyB Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

I agree, the new site is awful, sorry to tell that but i really think it. The old one was really better!!!!
    This new version is very very very long to load, i must relog myself eachtime i'm on, and it takes usually 5 min to works!! we loose time.
    I don't like the new configuration of the store and th forum and i'm happy not to be the only one.
    Oh, and where are the fast grab????

this site was the one i spent the most time on it, now i don't think i'll always do the same! i'm very disappointed.

edited December 1969

Spending their full time holding it together (and at one point it took weeks to get some pending orders working) means they can't ever spend time adding new features.

But are they spending time adding new features right now? Maybe in the far off distant future, but I would imagine they're bogged down more than ever now... Not just getting the site up and running, but bringing back the old features that were lost in the process. :(

And while it's certainly taking longer than they thought to get the basic features working, it's still only been two weeks since the switch. I hope they made the right decision this time and won't be spending all their time firefighting six months from now, as they were last time.

• Super NewbSuper Newb Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

...Right now I am just plain angry. Store isn´t working again (wasn´t tomorrow either),...

hee hee. I don't know if you wrote that on purpose or not, but either way, it's perfect. :) ....

Everyone has the right to be irritated, but, I'm sure DAZ would prefer to see their "store working" surely more than any of us. They have no choice but to get it working (or close the doors), so I wouldn't worry too much. This is a good time to play with the toys you have.... M'Daddy used to say, "contentment is not having everything you want, but being happy with everything you got" ;-)

....Damn, I wish we had better smileys! These guys look stupid! Where is that on the to do list? huh?!? C'mon DAZ, we need better smileys!!! Where's the little evil smile guy?!? And WHY do I have to open a new window AND resize it everytime I want a smiley! Geez!!!

(sometimes I just crack myself up)

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited May 2012

tsarist said:
    chohole said:

I agree.

I once worked with an Engineer (at a television station) who used to say that the old transmitter and equipment provided him with job security. Things broke down all the time and he fixed them. Management never bothered him about anything.

We really don't need NEW features. We just need the old features to work right, which they were.

I hate the current state of the new site too, however, I'm not going to make silly rants about the old site (which was broken in its own way and did have to be held together with chicken wire and rubber bands) was better. You can keep kicking an old model T also and keep it running, but it would be asinine to consider it suitable for today's needs or up to today's tasks. And the very first time the old rickety site's flaws came back to bite you in the ass, you know you'd have been first in line screaming bloody murder for having such a broke down site.

I don't quite understand why the new site is so problematic right now, but I certainly am not going to cling to the old place and it's many problems and pretend that it was just fine.

Post edited by TheWheelMan on
  • BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

The site is much slower. Pricing is constantly changing. The site keeps crashing.

On the plus side, when you press the "back" button when searching for items you no longer go back to the first page of whatever it was you were searching.

That was an annoyance, but the site as it is now is kind of a hindrance. I'm like seriously peeved that I spent two hours shopping only to have all the prices on every single item change when I went to check out. Seriously uncool.

edited May 2012

tsarist said:
    chohole said:

I agree.

I hate the current state of the new site too, however, I'm not going to make silly rants about the old site (which was broken in its own way and did have to be held together with chicken wire and rubber bands) was better. You can keep kicking an old model T also and keep it running, but it would be asinine to consider it suitable for today's needs or up to today's tasks. And the very first time the old rickety site's flaws came back to bite you in the ass, you know you'd have been first in line screaming bloody murder for having such a broke down site.

I don't quite understand why the new site is so problematic right now, but I certainly am not going to cling to the old place and it's many problems and pretend that it was just fine.

I knew I'd run into the Wheelman sooner or later. I don't see any silly rants around here. I see a lot of people who are truly concerned.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. A crappy Model T that runs beats a brand new Jaguar that spends all its time at the dealership's Garage.

By the way, I never said the old site was perfect. The version before the last site was the best Daz ever had.
    The last revision was bad, but it at least was usable.

Oh, and I tried to buy something today, but couldn't get into the site. I needed an item, but found something similar over at Renderosity.

So, you enjoy riding to work in the dealer's "courtesy shuttle." I'll just be silly and kick the model T and drive myself to work.

Post edited by tsarist on
    edited December 1969

And while it's certainly taking longer than they thought to get the basic features working, it's still only been two weeks since the switch. I hope they made the right decision this time and won't be spending all their time firefighting six months from now, as they were last time.

I hope they made the right decision too.
    I also wish them well and have compassion for the web guys who have to deal with this monstrosity.
    Hopefully, they can put the fire out before the building burns down.

• IndigoneIndigone Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Totally disappointed. I stopped buying like crazy months ago, but at least the forums kept me coming here. Now I have no clue what's for sale, but I think I saw some lights for over $1,000. The forums are more painful to come read than a thorn in your foot. And when I use my tablet to log in, I'm logged in as Paul Vigliotta (who I have never met) and who has 423 items on his wishlist (I have zero).

One day I aspire to be Paul Vilgiotta and download his entire purchase history.

Just kidding... I would never do that, but I'm wondering how many others are downloading his history.

As a paying customer, I really do expect to know what's going on. So sorry you're having troubles, but my logins are becoming more rare. How's Paul's login count going?

edited December 1969

Indigone said:

One day I aspire to be Paul Vilgiotta and download his entire purchase history.

Just kidding... I would never do that, but I'm wondering how many others are downloading his history.

None -- you can see public areas like the wishlist, but to access his account you need to login.

• IndigoneIndigone Posts: 86
    edited May 2012

Ooohhh, now I'm Chloe Kingsfield!!

I wonder who's me right now, getting access to my stuff? Oh, right, right, security and stuff, on this extremely secure site.

Post edited by Indigone on
  • TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

I totally agree with you on the current state of the new site. I really find the forums close to useless, to be quite frank, until they get it set so that the most recently posted to threads go to the top. I just disagree that the old site was all that great. They had to move forward. Whether they made the right choice to do that with I think is still up in the air.

• MuireanneMuireanne Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

Indigone said:
    Ooohhh, now I'm Chloe Kingsfield!!

I wonder who's me right now, getting access to my stuff? Oh, right, right, security and stuff, on this extremely secure site.

I've been Chris Meeks a couple of times now, the last time the site switch over they kept trying to tell me that was my name.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,602
    edited December 1969

If they have switched from a custom built system to a package solution I wonder if they will have the flexibility to put back in the features we have lost?

When there was a large bundle on sale it was very useful the way the old site changed the colour of items you had already downloaded. After you had finished you could go back to your downloads page and if you had missed any files you would see "never" in the last download date. Both of these features are gone, and it's made worse by the fact that I have Mac downloads cluttering up my downloadable items list, I can't find any way of telling the new system to show me only the PC files.

And I liked seeing the end date of sale offers.

Most systems need to be replaced eventually. Switching to a ready made package is easier and can be cheaper than building a custom made solution but it usually leaves you with an inferior system.

edited December 1969

Some good news. I can actually find some items when I search for them, so I can download the images to save along with the files. I wasted almost 20 minutes yesterday with the search. So, there's visible progress on getting some of the bugs out finally.

What has not been addressed are all of the Features of the Web Site that the community really wants but are not available with the new system.

How about a POLL to see what the most wanted Features are?

Dan