Polygon Modeling, Post your creations: A New Beginning

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    diomede said:

Thanks, Dart.  You remain an inspiration for many of us who find Carrara intuitive, flexible, and fun.  Stay motivated!.

I've never looked at Modo, LW, Maya, or Silo.  I've put some time and effort into Hexagon, and lately I've been going through some Blender tutorials, and I've done a couple of Sculptris tests.  However, I still find the flexibility of Carrara works better for me.  I'm referring to having specialty modelers for vertex, spline, formula, metaball, and heightmap/terrain in the same program that uvmaps, textures, 3D paints, grows hair, etc.  For me, that is why I prefer Carrara to Hexagon.  Blender's interface remains a problem for me, although it wasn't as bad as some folks led me to believe it would be.  Not trying to sell anyone else on that approach, but that is my personal  experience so far. 

This thread is dedicated to vertex modeling.  To that end, it might seem like a small thing, but when a recent C8.5 update fixed the normals for duplicate with symmetry, it really got me back modeling in Carrara again.

recent C8.5 update fixed the normals for duplicate with symmetry?

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited January 2016

Here's something that I dig out from the past. Back in the days of Eovia, I made this picture. (might have been in 2008)

And beeing inspired by recent discusion in an other tread, I thougt it was time to expand the operation.

So I have started to create a set of pipes and racks, and more to come.

doc21.jpg
    800 x 600 - 372K
    Doc1.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 327K
    parts2.jpg
    260 x 616 - 92K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

Yummy! Can I have some of that when it's ready? ;)

I guess I have to get me one of these then, if I'm going to start a export business.

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    edited January 2016

I know it needs some improvements, but this is a tire I've just modelled in the Vertex Room:

Post edited by otodomus on
    edited February 2016

Something more for my collection of parts for my expanding "home industries"

pump02.jpg
    798 x 843 - 269K
    pump03.jpg
    540 x 851 - 158K
    pump01.jpg
    800 x 600 - 116K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

great job - looking good

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

Yes. Very nice!

Very Nice model Varsel, I am seeing that you did some crease edges on the pump, I was figuring out how to make that with the less polygon possible until I saw the hard edges, very cool model  yes

• otodomus said:

Very Nice model Varsel, I am seeing that you did some crease edges on the pump, I was figuring out how to make that with the less polygon possible until I saw the hard edges, very cool model  yes

Not only that, there is bonus to creasing edges in UV department as well, if you UV unwrap your object and texture it, and later down the road decide to add subdivision to your model, creasing loops (not all, just at a key locations) may help with UV distortions (despite the UV subdivision feature being there, this still happens) smiley

edited February 2016

More Bits'n'pieces... The retail part of the business is taking shape.

As Fifth Element said. And it is also very usefull to use creasing when modeling the base shape of your model. When you then subdivide and convert, to get more polygons to work with, the base shape will retain it shape

Doc4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 720K
    Pic01.jpg
    807 x 909 - 231K
    Pic02.jpg
    515 x 749 - 177K
    Pic03.jpg
    515 x 749 - 148K
    Pic04.jpg
    821 x 917 - 329K
    Post edited by Varsel on

Amazing! Thanks Fifht-Element and Varsel, you know, I was avoiding to crease edges because I thought that it was like be cheating, in my recent learning modelling rules I learned that if you wanted a creased edge you needed to add control loops near of the border, but I will consider it when be necessary.

Thanks again friends.

Otto

If your model is going to be exported out from Carrara, for use in Studio or Poser, using the crease might not work as intended. You will get "artifacts" especially on the edges.

This is because, all renderer will try to smooth the model, and it will probably not make any sence of the crease.

In these cases, it would be best to breake apart the "seam" that the creasing is ... (Sorry, in Norwegian, this sentence makes sence..... )

But for internal use in Carrara, they work like a charm.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027
    edited February 2016

Wow, Varsel.  Great job.

At the moment, I am trying to get better at uvmapping in Carrara.  Focusing on seams, pins, and the unwrap function.  Never really got the hang of it.  Still experimenting with different shapes.  Here I tried to create a model and effective uvmap map for a washboard as part of a set of cleaning props.  A good uvmap is essential to use the 3DPaint tool.  Eventually, I want to use the paint tool to create a mask so that the center of the screen can be grubbed up with a mixer shader.  Aside, the bristles of the brush are hair.

As you can see, I am still struggling with sides and edges.  Advice welcome.

prop pic 2 uvmap.JPG
    1536 x 930 - 144K
    prop pic 1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 39K
    propchecker.jpg
    800 x 600 - 48K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited February 2016

It took a bit of thinking about, but I managed to get it to unwrap in a single piece. The problem area, as you no doubt surmised, is the inside of the two cutouts (the outside you can seam just like a regular cube). The way I solved it was to attach the vertical sides to the front, and the horizontal sides to the back. Then you can just crack it open like a clothes horse.

BTW, you have a bunch of loops on your model that don't really serve any purpose - you can savely get rid of them, as they're only adding polys.

When it comes to making a washboard, I'd probably take a different approach. A carpenter would build it from two uprights and three horizontals, and that's how I'd build the model. That way you only need to UV map two cubes, which you can then duplicate. For the infill boards, you don't need tops and sides, as they'll never be seen (even easier to map, plus you don't get those odd "horse tails"). I'd go so far as to say you only need to map one side, since the back could be mirrored (you'll never see both sides at once!)

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 10.01.59.png
    1206 x 1052 - 266K
    Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 11.33.05.png
    1660 x 828 - 232K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on

Thanks for the suggestions, Tim.  Because I generally do stills of relatively small scenes, I have some bad habits, including extra geometry (my sponge has way too much because I use displacement mapping).  I will give the washboard another go.

I do confess that I don't know either how does it work the UV mapping by unfolding models, in my daily 3D modelling practice I have never used that, even when I had to UV map complex models, in the case that you are mentioned what I do is to model the ridged metal part and attach it to the frame, this way I can add a texture to a separated parts.

Regards

Otto

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Hi Otto, I'd love to know how you mapped some of your complex parts -- say, the petrol pump -- they'd leave me scratching my head!

Hi Otto, I'd love to know how you mapped some of your complex parts -- say, the petrol pump -- they'd leave me scratching my head!

Hi, I didn't the petrol pump, and you know I am trying to UV map a T Tube that I did previously and I can't hehe time to learn the Unfold option...

edited February 2016

This is the best mapped I could afford:

Cylinder UV mapped.png
    746 x 725 - 274K
    edited February 2016

And this is the worst part:

Cylinder UV mapped-1.png
    721 x 773 - 260K
    edited February 2016

This is another test I did trying to UV map the T tube, it works fine with an irregular pattern, the problem is when I try to apply an image, however I think that I never will need to apply an image to that shape but I am wondering how to do it properly, this is the last try:

Cylinder UV Mapped-2.png
    742 x 779 - 142K
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited March 2016

Hey Guys,

Lots of good modeling being done here with Carrara.(otodomus,Varsel,Tango Alpha,Gareth,Roygee,fool, John Stark and the rest. Diomede and Dart. have show interest already)  yes    I am starting a group animation project using Carrara and we will be needing people to model stuff among all the rest of the skills involved in making a film. This is just a "for fun project"  so there is no money involved , just your spare Carrara time. We are looking for all skill levels as we will need very simple models to more complex stuff to make our animation.   We only have one  Theme  for the animation so far. "indestructible Balloon" , sounds exciting doesn't it. laugh  .   See this post if you want to help us out .

Thanks

Post edited by mmoir on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited March 2016

I'll try to get an appropriate render for here, but I used polygon modeling in Carrara to design a four-armed shirt, starting with a simple cylinder vertex object.

It's my first attempt, and I'm pretty happy with it. I will have to experiment with other stuff down the road, it's been an encouraging first foray.

For a long time I've said that while I don't use Carrara for much, as a go-to modeler and occasional sky dome generator it's been well worth the sale price I paid for it. Up until recently, however, I stuck to very simple extrusion/3d Boolean stuff. Now... I'm intrigued.

This is my four armed shirt. Started as a cylinder, subd a lot, then cleaned up with Instant Meshes. Converted into a dynamic clothing, draped in Daz Studio and rendered there.

At some point I'm going to clean it up a little more, try to subdivide surface so I can make some reasonable UV maps, and probably plop it on ShareCG.

Now I'm debating what I should tackle next. Hrm. Maybe some greebles for spaceships or something.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

This is another test I did trying to UV map the T tube, it works fine with an irregular pattern, the problem is when I try to apply an image, however I think that I never will need to apply an image to that shape but I am wondering how to do it properly, this is the last try:

Hi Otodemus:)

If you like to do so, post your T-pipe and the image you would like put on it to a hosting site and let me have a PM with the link. 

edited March 2016

If the modelers here are interested I just uploaded a  "The Modeling Assets Page"  which shows what models we will need for our Carrara Group Animation project.  I think it is a great way to practice modeling while helping to create an animation. We will  have simple objects to more complex so all modelers are welcome.

Here is the tentative storyline of the animation  if you are interested .

and the The Modeling Assets Page  

If you have any questions let me know ,

Thanks 

Post edited by mmoir on

This is a great "first foray" into modeling .  Nice job. 

I'll try to get an appropriate render for here, but I used polygon modeling in Carrara to design a four-armed shirt, starting with a simple cylinder vertex object.

It's my first attempt, and I'm pretty happy with it. I will have to experiment with other stuff down the road, it's been an encouraging first foray.

For a long time I've said that while I don't use Carrara for much, as a go-to modeler and occasional sky dome generator it's been well worth the sale price I paid for it. Up until recently, however, I stuck to very simple extrusion/3d Boolean stuff. Now... I'm intrigued.

This is my four armed shirt. Started as a cylinder, subd a lot, then cleaned up with Instant Meshes. Converted into a dynamic clothing, draped in Daz Studio and rendered there.

At some point I'm going to clean it up a little more, try to subdivide surface so I can make some reasonable UV maps, and probably plop it on ShareCG.

Now I'm debating what I should tackle next. Hrm. Maybe some greebles for spaceships or something.

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833

Hi folks.

I hope it won't be intrusive to let you know that I've resurrected a Hexagon thread where I was showing a military vehicle I started last year.  I've put up some new strictly WIP images.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54998/a-military-vehicle-i-started-work-on#latest

WIP2.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 172K

I am willing to try to model the dartboard and darts

Great looking vehicle!

Hi folks.

I hope it won't be intrusive to let you know that I've resurrected a Hexagon thread where I was showing a military vehicle I started last year.  I've put up some new strictly WIP images.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54998/a-military-vehicle-i-started-work-on#latest