OT Facebook question and there stupid games

Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,687
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am on Facebook. Sometimes I play some of their games, but they seem to want me to have a bunch of friends who play that particular game or lots of money to spend. I rather use my money at Daz than on Facebook games. I think I can get more value for the dollar here than there.

I could try to add people who play the games but I rather them not read my posts. How can I protect my privacy while getting enough "friends" in order to be able to play these games without getting into my Daz budget?

I play Chefville and sims social. I think the regular sims is better than sims social to be honest. ChefVille requires either people or money to have certain spots open to help with the game. it is also like a 24 hour restaurant but there is only one chef so they keep running out of food. Real 24 hour restaurants have several shifts of people making the food so they never run out.

I want these "friends" just for the games but I do not want to read all about their daily life or have them read about my daily life, specially they would know my real name.

Comments

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited December 1969

Make a fake Facebook account.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited September 2012

Sorry I can't give you any suggestions and even though I don't play any of those sort of games, I wanted to say I'm too am sick of these stupid social media gimmicks waving a carrot in from of your nose but you have to relinquish your privacy to get it... quite frankly most people are, but you always hear "Well thats the price you pay..."
    Megh...
    Just thought I'd say, you are not alone on that one.

Edited to add- I just saw Velvet Goblin's suggestion... That would be fun... Make a fake account AND practice your writing skills... with your fake persona you can write about your daily adventures as a famous Astronaut/crime fighter/brain surgeon/rock star... Most people are never as interesting as they make themselves out to be anyway, so you'll only be making up slightly more than the other people.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Get off Facebook, and quit wasting your time with those useless sites.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

*Nods in agreement*
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,018
    edited December 1969

The easiest way is indeed to have 2 accounts, one "regular" and one for gaming.

If you have only one account you can still separate things a bit though:
    - When you look at a friend's timeline you can choose what kind of updates you see from them : if you click on the "friends" button you have "show in news feed" with a "settings" option, and then you can unckeck everything except games (see pic below).

- For your own posts, you can always create a list with all your "gaming friends", set your default privacy policy to "Custom" with "hide from ", and the privacy settings for the game you can modify your game posts privacy to include that list again (or limit them to that list).

You have to remember to update the list when you add a new gaming friend though, and I'm not sure it works for everything.

Clipboard02.png
    233 x 361 - 10K
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Zynga games has its own web site and you can add friends there that are unrelated to your facebook account.

• Dream9StudiosDream9Studios Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

You can do it with only one FB account by setting up "Friends Lists". Create a list called "Game Friends" or something like that. Add all friends who are just there for the games to that list. When you make a post you don't want the game friends to see, click on the button next to the "Post" button where the options are for who sees the post. Click on "Custom". Where it says "Hide this post from" type in the name of the "Game Friends" list then "Save Changes". You can set this as your posting default in your account settings.

• islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

I have a facebook account and play way too many games....lol. I do set have a list just for gaming friends and set it to where only my friends that play the same games as me can see them. I don't post anything on my wall except for requests for my games......I am paranoid especially after watching Criminal Minds just a lil bit ago....lol. Plus I have no time to post anything personal or read what my friends post as I am always anwering a gazillion Requests....lol.

Miss Bad Wolf I also play Sims Social and Chefville along with some others and I don't spend any money. I figure I will get to it when I get to it....lol....if it spoils then oh well just throw away and cook something else :-). Oc sometimes I don't have time to play the games cause I am answering requests,but I don't mind :-).

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited January 2014

I stay off of social media sites except for a few forums where I go to hang out and learn more about my wide and varied interests. By staying off FB, Twitter, and the like, I actually have MORE time in my day...

I try to limit my television watching too, and for the same reason.

Plus, pop culture and hollywood are (for the most part) really NOT putting out good quality work. Personal opinion only!

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited January 2014

Bejaymac said:

*Nods in agreement*
    ..."thirded".

What gets me is I am told to better my chances for employment I need to be on the social media sites. Sorry, no way, no how. I have enough to deal with considering all the 'headhunter" and job board sites I am on. I do not even have an "open" resume (one that is visible to all who visit these sites) as all I get with that are emails about insurance and commission sales jobs. I am not a salesperson for I do not have that type of "alpha personality". As a matter of fact, I'm not really all that good or comfortable with "people/customer oriented" jobs to begin with. Give me a workstation and pile of assignments in he "in basket" and I'm perfectly fine.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MegonNoelMegonNoel Posts: 377
    edited January 2014

Khory said:
    Zynga games has its own web site and you can add friends there that are unrelated to your facebook account.

^^ Yep, this. If you go to Zynga's website you can play with tons of people without giving them access to your account - if you have your zynga account on their site connected to your facebook account (which you'll probably want to do since you likely have game progress you'll want to transfer over) then I believe players can still go to your facebook account just like anyone else in the world can, but they won't be your friends so they won't have access to anything, All anyone will see are the things you have marked "Public", which for some people is next to nothing. That's the best way to do it to have a lot of friends and maintain privacy. And also this way you won't be posting to your real life friends with requests if they don't play, because if they don't play they can't send you the items you need or help you staff something :)

Also I believe on the zybga site there is a 'feed" of players that accomplished things and have extras and you can 'claim' those items too if you need them for something you're doing - don't quote me on that part but I think that's a feature (or was at one point).

Have fun!! :-)

Edit: I did not see how old the original post in this thread was when I posted in it - LOL - I guess it's a "zombie thread" cuz it's back from the dead.

Post edited by MegonNoel on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Bejaymac said:

*Nods in agreement*

..."thirded".

What gets me is I am told to better my chances for employment I need to be on the social media sites. Sorry, no way, no how. I have enough to deal with considering all the 'headhunter" and job board sites I am on. I do not even have an "open" resume (one that is visible to all who visit these sites) as all I get with that are emails about insurance and commission sales jobs. I am not a salesperson for I do not have that type of "alpha personality". As a matter of fact, I'm not really all that good or comfortable with "people/customer oriented" jobs to begin with. Give me a workstation and pile of assignments in he "in basket" and I'm perfectly fine.

As much as you aren't comfortable with people/customer oriented work, you might need to become so. The majority of the help wanted signs I see of late are with the various fast food chains, convenience store chains, and local 24 hour gas stations/mini marts. What about phone work like collections? None are glamorous but they do come with a paycheck.

I stay as far away from social media sites as possible. My goal in life is to see how small a digital footprint I can leave.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2014

KW, I heard that meanwhile many people are tired of the intrusiveness of social media games, and that the sales volumes of the game companies are decreasing dramatically.

I am not at facebook, and I get along very well without 'social media'. I'm not interested in hundreds of so-called 'friends', and I asked all my real friends and my family never to give my address to one of those companies. BTW, giving your friends' or any other person's data to a third party (such as facebook or those games companies) is a violation of the data protection laws of my country.

Post edited by caravelle on
  • MegaPMegaP Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

I to am on Facebook.
    Bores me to tears and would much rather spend time playing around with Daz.
    A bit off topic but check out "Look at my Instagram" on You Tube.
    It sums it in a 3 minute clip.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited December 1969

I like facebook. Don't do the games, but think the idea of a second account for gaming is awesome.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,687
    edited December 1969

I mainly use facebook to contact my friend. The sims game I played got closed down to my knowledge.

edited January 2014

icprncss said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Bejaymac said:

*Nods in agreement*

..."thirded".

As much as you aren't comfortable with people/customer oriented work, you might need to become so. The majority of the help wanted signs I see of late are with the various fast food chains, convenience store chains, and local 24 hour gas stations/mini marts. What about phone work like collections? None are glamorous but they do come with a paycheck.

I stay as far away from social media sites as possible. My goal in life is to see how small a digital footprint I can leave.
    ...because of my physical condition I am unable to stand on my feet all day which these positions require. I have almost no grip left in my hands which limits what I can lift (I'm even prone to dropping light items more than occasionally) which would be detrimental for stocking purposes.

As I do not drive and am "transit bound" I can only work when buses are running so late and night shifts are pretty much out of the question.

"People stress" is the toughest type of stress for me to handle. Again, I am not a very "dominant" or forceful person and more frequently than not back away from arguments and confrontations. When I've been in these types of occupations, I've turned to drinking as well as drug use to relax. Not about to go there again. I often had no real "social life" (as in doing things with friends) for I just wanted to withdraw to some quiet place on my own in my off-time.

As to collections, do you remember what LycanthropeX went though several years ago? Apologies, but I couldn't put someone through that kind of wringer and sleep soundly at night. That occupation is "low" not because it is "menial", but because it forces you to check your morals and compassion at the door. I can't do that.

...time to put the train back on the track.

Now what is that about Facebook and games? Carry on...

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid- OT for a minute here- my favorite job was as a telemarketer handling INCOMING calls- aka, people who wanted to be spoken to- for a timeshare rental company. People were calling in to book their vacations. Totally fun job! You might check to see if there are any timeshare corporations in your area. This one was based in Indianapolis. Another idea is the phone company, they hire quite a few part timers (so they don't have to pay insurance/benefits. I worked for them too for a couple months. You're going to have to deal with SOME stress, to be frank- because being homeless is certainly the bigger one. You're more likely to turn to drugs and drinking on the streets than having a customer service job. And again- go to the State Employment agency office (they were called Job Service offices in the 80's)

I have a Facebook account and never use it. I can see why you like the games though, my friends play them and totally enjoy them.

An interesting side note- I haven't had television since 2004 at home, I watch everything on the internet (all major networks) and if my bill would have been say, $50 (on the low end of the scale) I have saved $2600 a year for 9 years. A total of $23,400. Think about that folks! And I just use Netflix. On the internet, you can get all the news with CNN, get the weather, ta-dah.

edited January 2014

...my telly blew up back around then. Never replaced it, Don't miss it.

On the Net I can get any news service I want, including foreign sources which see the world in a very different light than the US broadcast and cable networks do.

For example when that meteor exploded over the Russian city last year, the Times and BBC sites were on top of it with major headlines while CNN, FoxNews and MSNBC were detailing the play by play of that crippled cruise ship being towed into port. FoxNews even had "exclusive" *yawn* streaming video of the event on their home page.

For films, yes Netflix is the way to go, especially if you have a fast connection and can stream instead of download. I have a nice 1,080 x 1,920 display with a mini desktop home theatre system that sounds very good (actually had to turn the subwoofer down on a couple occasions)

There are even Net based "radio" stations.