Posing problem in DS3 and DS4

BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi, I made poses in Poser9 and saved them. I had limits off and IK off.

When I take these poses to DazStudio they ask if I want to turn limits on or off.. I didn't want to have to have that popup come up so I corrected the poses in DazStudio and saved them as pose files in a different folder.

When I try to use those poses they come in all wrong.

If I go back to the Poser made poses (using DS) and choose to 'turn off limits' then the go back to the DS made poses they then work. If I choose the option to turn limits ON, then neither the Poser poses nor the DS poses work in DS. In either case the DS made poses are wrong until I click on the Poser made poses and choose to turn off limits.

How can I make the DS made poses, or even the Poser made poses not need to have the popup come up asking about limits?

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

In DS, go to "Edit > Preferences" and there is an option in there to alway use or not use limits instead of it asking.

Did you save out the poses in DS as DS native files or did you use the Poser Format Exporter to save them as Poser PZ2 poses?

Did you have all the needed nodes selected before saving?

• BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

If I go into preferences to change the limit preference that will only affect me when I use the poses? right? If I share these then another person might still get the message?

I saved the pose in DS by using Save As/Pose preset (.dsa) then I put copies of the Poser pz2s into the folder with them.

I'm pretty sure that the entire M4 was selected. I tried to highlight/select all parts of M4 before saving.

edited December 1969

You poses have nothing to do with someone elses program preferences. So I would not worry about it

I dont know if DSA pose files work correctly from the Poser Library even with corresponding PZ2 pose files. Mat files work but I dont recall seeing pose files work.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

The turn off limits only affects poses in Poser format and is only present in DS3 and, perhaps, the first few versions of DS4. Later on that option was changed a bit. It should work if you save a preset with limits turned off manually in the Parameters by clicking on the cog wheel of each individual Rotation (sorry! lots of work) and select Parameter Settings and turn limits off, then load your Poser pose preset and save a pose preset (duf is best, but deprecated pose preset should work as well).

edited December 1969

I am so appreciative of your responses. Thank you so much for helping me.

These two poses are part of a package that I will be selling and I have never made poses before. It's easy in Poser but DS is a bit touchy and I don't...didn't know the proper procedure. I have to have these poses work in all versions of DS. I use DS3.1 and have DS4 loaded but I never installed DS4.5 because it wil overwrite DS4 and some things won't work in it.

I had removed the DS only figure poses and made a note in the readme to choose 'turn off limits' when using the Poser figure poses but I don't like that solution. I will try ReDave's instruction and see if I can get it to work properly I was sure that I just didn't know how to do it and that's why they were wrong. Hopefully this will correct them...hugs!!!

edited December 1969

If the poses are not for Genesis, then dont bother with the DS format for saving them. Save them as PZ2 since DS will read them. Just make the poses in whatever program you are comcortable using and make sure you test then in the other one.

edited December 1969

Hi Mattymanx, I just spent aanother night working on these two poses and trying to get DS to save the poses correctly but I just can't do it. I tried the 'turn off limits' procedure suggested above but it didn't make a difference. I've browsed the net looking for something to help me but haven't found the answer.

The poses will work fine in DS3.1 using the Poser pz2s but not in DS4 and up. I don't know how to proceed. The eye props don't come in smart propped to their mother prop in DS4 either. The eye props load smart propped to the mother prop in DS3.1 just fine. DS4 just isn't friendly.

I even made the poses as native Ds files and loaded them into studio and they still don't work right. I'm still not sure if it's a 'limits' issue or an 'IK' issue but my guess is 'limits'.

Trying to decide if I should simply exclude DS4 and up from the compatibility list. It's such a small product and the amount of time I've spent on the DS end of it is ridiculous.

I could also make a notation that in DS4 and up that the poses don't work properly and the eyes need to be manually parented. I just can't fathom why newer versions of DS have lost these abilities.

edited September 2012

A huge thanks to Mattymanx for giving me a leg up with this problem. I now have pz2 poses that work fine in DS3 and DS4 but if I make .dsa or .dsb pose files and put them in with the pz2s, then the poses don't work.

I'm wondering if I misunderstood ReDave's post. Does he mean that once I have the PFE pz2 to load it onto my character, then go to the parameter tab and turn off limits manually for parts of M4 that are affected by my poses, THEN save as .dsa or .dsb? I don't see .duf anywhere.

Edit: Um, never mind. DS native files would only be important if I was installing to Studio/Content.

Post edited by Burpee on
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Yes that is what I meant, although I think you'd get better results by first turning limits off then importing your pose and then saving in DS own format. Saving as duf is 4.5 only (and now allows smart-propping by selecting File->Save As->Wearable Preset...). I don't really remember, and I didn't experiment much with saving poses, how it was in DS4, but you should have a dsf save; however since that changed in DS4.5 it may be wasted time. :-S

edited December 1969

Thanks for clarifying ReDave. Bookmarking this. Love that DS4.5 has the ability to use smart propping....excellent.