Contest~~Because I Said So!~~Jan / Feb

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited January 2016 in Art Studio

Please put your entries in the Entries Thread. 

The Because I Said So! Contest features "everyday" statements which are then rendered with the artists' translation, with the emphasis on humor. Our artists are indeed creative- winners are selected by popular vote and you'll have difficult decisions to make.  We'd like you to come join the fun!

I've provided links to the previous discussion and entry threads so you can have fun surfing through them. See the bottom of this post.

This contest starts January 16th, 2016 and ends the last day of February, the 29th, midnight DAZ time, (click to see Mountain time clock). Voting will be 7 days, March 1-7th. There will be a first, second, third, and fourth place winner and confidential voting determines the winners.  All registered forum members can vote. 

This is a "for fun only" contest, with bragging rights. However, I will also  award one Lucky Draw Prize $5 gift certificate using a random drawing for artists who participated. (That would be including winners, as they did not receive a cash prize.)  I appreciate your contribution to the fun!

Read the statement(s) provided and render one or more humorously.   

You may submit up to eight entries. You may render the same statement multiple times, or spread out your entries to several statements, it's totally up to you. You can use more than one of the statements for a render. Each month we've voted, I've asked for suggestions and you are certainly providing great statements. Credit is given in (  ).  I will use the suggestions given in the last contest for the March contest. The statements you will have to work with are: 

"You bought WHAT?"  (Stormlyght)

"Hmmm..."  (Lyam)

"You definitely should not have more than one (of those!)"  (Knittingmommy)

"It wasn't me!" (barbult)

"Whew, that was close." (Ivy)

"I did it!" (Saphirewild)

"I swear, it was the cat/dog!"  (isidorn)

"Ok, now I'm a believer." (Novica)

"I don't know, just make something up!" (FirstBastion)

And now for Hoppity's Mad Libs. Please note, in the Entry Thread, put the _________ part in (       ) so we know what you have filled in to make it unique. You can only use ONE word, of your choice, in these statements:

"And that's why I can't ________ anymore..."  (Hoppity)

"She/he/it __________ because it happened so fast!" 

"When they went to the _________________,  everything went crazy!" 

"Another reason not to ____________ when driving." 

And here's two Combination Mad Libs, put the number of words as indicated in  (  )  Come up with whacky renders!  

"But I've always wanted to _______(up to 2) on / in a  ______(1) and ___________________. (up to 5 words.)  

"My dream ____________ (up to 3) definitely includes ___________________(up to 5 words.) 

Here are the guidelines.  (Format is shown after this, but please READ this so you will see the limits/sizes/etc.)

1. Maximum 8 entries. You must be logged in and use your registered account for the forums. (No guest/anonymous entries.)  Deadlines are strictly enforced when receiving entries- no exceptions. Entries must be in the ENTRIES thread to compete for the random drawing prize.

2. Images must be .jpg format, new, and follow the TOS. If possible, please  embed in the post. Yes, you may post the images elsewhere once they have been posted here.  See the bottom of the post for how to embed images.

3. Put your title on the first line, then the Statement below your title  with your entry #. (Like Entry #1)  The title must be different than the statement.  If a title is similar to another one, I will ask you to change it. And with so many statements available, it is REALLY important that below your title, you put in quotes the statement that you're using. Thanks!

4. You may put up to 40 lines (NOT SENTENCES) as a story or the dialogue between characters. Dialogue really catches the viewer's attention! The upper limit of 40 lines is for folks who are using multiple statements and need more leeway to get the statements into dialogue. No other comments should be in the Entries thread, use this Discussion thread.

5. For this contest, please use a minimum of 3 products. (You can use more.)   You should try and use most of the product, not a tiny kit-bashed piece.  See the bottom of the post for how to do a link.

Important: Please only list your main 3 products in the first set of links. If you want to list ALL the products you used, list the others as the very last thing on your entry post, with links following the same guidelines. (Not required.) This keeps the posts from getting too bogged down at the top of each entry. 

6. Postwork is allowed, but the overwhelming impression of the render should be the product on its own merit.

7.  Yes, you certainly can use programs other than DAZ Studio, such as Poser, etc.

8.  For your entry to qualify, YOU MUST VOTE. Because artists cannot vote for themselves, it's not fair for them to vote for you if you do not return the favor as you would gain an advantage.

Isidorn summed up the format nicely:

Line1: Title

Line 2: Statement(s) used and entry #

Line 3-5: links to 3 main items/products used

Line 6: Image

Line 7: Story

Line8: additional products used.

Use this thread for any questions, comments, works in progress/ask opinions or for assistance with the render or the contest. In other words, have fun. If you really found a product you like while you're using it, chat it up! 

Here are some suggestions for improving your contest/daily renders.

How To Embed Images In The Post:

How to do this: (It's easy.) Attach your image using the Attach A File below this message area. Save the post. Now go to your image and click it to view it. Copy the URL.  Now Edit your post (mouse over the upper right corner above this area and you'll see a cog to click/Select Edit.) Next, go to the postcard icon above this message area and click it. Paste the URL where it says URL. For width and height, make sure width is 800 or less, and height is 600 or less. It will automatically keep the aspect ratio for you. Then, while the popup is still open, click on the Link tab and paste the URL there too. For Target, please select the "New Window (_blank) option so again, they stay on the thread. (If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I'll be glad to help you.)

How To Do A Link:

To do a link: Click on the link icon (it's that chain-link above this text area) and paste it there where it says URL. IMPORTANT: there will be two tabs, Link Info and Target. The URL is in Link Info, so that's easy. What I need you to do is THEN click on the Target tab. Please open the drop down and select  "New Window (_blank) so when people do click on the link you've provided, they don't leave the thread. (Very annoying.)  

October Discussion Thread  (2015)

October Entry Thread

October Winners  

November Discussion Thread

November Entry Thread

November Winners

December 2015 Discussion Thread

December / Jan Entry Thread

December/Jan Winners  (2015/2016)

Jan / Feb in progress

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    Teofa said:

I hope I didn't mess this up.

Nice render @Teofa and fun story smiley You would probably want to go over the guidelines above once more though, and edit your post.

Line1: Title

Line 2: Statement(s) used and entry #

Line 3-5: links to 3 main items/products used

Line 6: Image

Line 7: Story

Line8: additional products used.

I belive that sums up the requested order in the entry posts.

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited January 2016

oh.

Post edited by Teofa on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

LOL, you mean "Uh-oh." 

Teofa said:

oh.

I hope my post didn't make you withdraw your entry. I just like things tidy and orderly and as an old forum moderator (in other communities) I can get a little carried away sometimes...blush

Teofa, if you feel like it, post it here and let us help you format it. We'd love to have you join us! (Isidorn, no problem, you were just being helpful. If I'm not online and you notice someone who needs help, you definitely should jump in and do so.) 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited January 2016
    Novica said:

Teofa, if you feel like it, post it here and let us help you format it. We'd love to have you join us! (Isidorn, no problem, you were just being helpful. If I'm not online and you notice someone who needs help, you definitely should jump in and do so.) 

I know I certainly would jump in and help when need be Isidorn I am sure Teofa would agree and I do think she had a different reason why she withdrew her render. I know Novica is real busy right now taking care of those wonderful fur babies of hers and I would have done the same as you Isidorn so don't think you did something wrong.

Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    Teofa said:

No one did anything wrong.

edited January 2016

Here is my first WIP, I did 2 different focus points and can not for the life of me decide which one to use, can you guys help me decide which one to use? plz n ty.

I Found The Toy Factory2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 139K
    I Found The Toy Factory.jpg
    800 x 800 - 124K

which statement are you using? (There's several that could apply)

I tend to like ones that show the characters' expressions, so perhaps a combination of the two where you show more of the balloon but zoom out slightly. You could bring the items which aren't showing, that are in the outer permeter, closer in so they get in that slightly-zoomed-out render. Lots of fun stuff in that picture, you must've had a lot of fun doing it!

Novica said:

which statement are you using? (There's several that could apply)

I tend to like ones that show the characters' expressions, so perhaps a combination of the two where you show more of the balloon but zoom out slightly. You could bring the items which aren't showing, that are in the outer permeter, closer in so they get in that slightly-zoomed-out render. Lots of fun stuff in that picture, you must've had a lot of fun doing it!

I did have loads of fun making this render, butttttt my 4.9 kept crashing once I had (Too Much) in the scene. So had to go with the bare min. I will try again to bring it back just slightly and the saying I am using is "I did it"

By the looks of the first few entries it's not going to be any easier to decide winners this time than it has been in previous contests. smiley

isidorn said:

By the looks of the first few entries it's not going to be any easier to decide winners this time than it has been in previous contests. smiley

I know, right? Off to a wonderful start! I can only imagine what it took to pose all those pogos!

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103

LOL!  you re right!!  some of those toon animals were reluctant to stand on their hind legs and squeeze their limbs to grab onto the snakes.  but once they did they enjoyed the ride

• Gopherus said:

LOL!  you re right!!  some of those toon animals were reluctant to stand on their hind legs and squeeze their limbs to grab onto the snakes.  but once they did they enjoyed the ride

I almost fell out of my chair, I was laughing so hard!  This image was priceless.  You have quite the imagination, Gopherus!

Thanks,  my original idea was to use real mechanical pogo sticks... but then I thought... hey they re toons... what would wiley coyote have done before he discovered the acme mail order company.

edited January 2016
    Gopherus said:

Thanks,  my original idea was to use real mechanical pogo sticks... but then I thought... hey they re toons... what would wiley coyote have done before he discovered the acme mail order company.

I so think you came up with an original idea there Gopherus, as Knitting said I too almost fell off my chair I was laughing so hard. I think the Mechanical Pogo sticks would not have gave the same effect as the snakes did. (I think Wiley Coyote would have been very proud of this plan!!!)

• SiotradSiotrad Posts: 110
    edited February 2016

Hello,

Sorry to ask it but my poor english level didn't allow me to understand what we have to do here for this Contest ...

If i'm wright, we have to choose one (up to 8) of the "statement" like : "Hmmm" or "I did it" and make mini story with an image ...

Thanks and have a nice day.

Post edited by Siotrad on
    Siotrad said:

Hello,

Sorry to ask it but my poor english level didn't allow me to understand what we have to do here for this Contest ...

If i'm wright, we have to choose one (up to 8) of the "statement" like : "Hmmm" or "I did it" and make mini story with an image ...

Thanks and have a nice day.

You got it mostly right. :) There is no real limit to how many statements you can use for one render/image. I think it was in November one image had almost all the statements. 8 is the number for how many images we are allowed to make for the contest.

I liked your entry in the January New User contest so I'm looking forward to see you join us here. Welcome! :)

edited February 2016

Thank you very much for your help ... and your comment :)

Hi Siotrad!  You can use one or more of the statements, you can use the same one over and over again if you like! You do not have to write up a mini story if your image says it all. You do need to tell us which statement(s) you used. You can post on this thread first and we will help you get it in the right form for the entry thread. The main thing is to have FUN!

Congrats over on the RRRR thread to Gopherus and Luci45- wonderful renders and quite funny!

thanks Novica!  there were a lot of great renders to choose from.

Novica said:

Hi Siotrad!  You can use one or more of the statements, you can use the same one over and over again if you like! You do not have to write up a mini story if your image says it all. You do need to tell us which statement(s) you used. You can post on this thread first and we will help you get it in the right form for the entry thread. The main thing is to have FUN!

Thank you for your help :)

edited February 2016

Hello, i put here an example to know if the presentation would be good.

"Hmmm..."

Gillian

Drucilla Corset

Christina Hair

Hmmm

WIth Camera raw filter

Hmmm

Gwen-01.jpg
    563 x 800 - 134K
    Gwen-01-cr1-sign.jpg
    563 x 799 - 362K
    edited February 2016

Here a second one whose i will also post for the new user contest "lighting"

Rendered only 30% for now.

Image removed - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity#latest

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Well ... my picture remove ... !!!!

Siotrad said:

Here a second one whose i will also post for the new user contest "lighting"

Rendered only 30% for now.

Image removed - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity#latest

Thanks for the link but ... explain to me .... Where, on my picture did you see pubic hair or anything that would be not alowed ??? The hair hidd the tis and the panty is here !!!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2016

Siotrad, we have emailed you

Post edited by Chohole on

Hi Siotrad- I didn't see the image, just email the mods and they'll tell you what they did. I think your first render is beautiful, the nice soft lighting makes it very alluring (well, the woman helps that quite a bit lol!)  One thing to remember is the contest focuses on humor, so if you're going sexy, the humor might be something like a husband and wife walking by a sexy woman with the husband obviously distracted and the wife not happy. (Just an example.)  It takes a bit of experimenting to get in the swing of things and I love the quality of your renders!

Chohole said:

Siotrad, we have emailed you

And i respond to you with some examples of the nonsens for me ....

I am working on my second entry still should be done in a couple days!!!