Zip files for the PC

2»

Comments

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,429
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    The install manager should be out shortly.

Is that "shortly" as in hours, days, weeks, or "soon"?
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

We havn't been informed of a release date yet, but when we know we'll be sure to let everyone know.

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

And the ZIP files will be totally separate from this install manager thing, right? I sure hope these ZIP files of products will be what they are from the other stores.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:
    And the ZIP files will be totally separate from this install manager thing, right? I sure hope these ZIP files of products will be what they are from the other stores.

Yes, totally separate, if you want to use the Install Manager it's a separate one-time download, if not the content zips are just content.

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Excellent! :-)

• bob_e5ec957043bob_e5ec957043 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Can we expect a big announcement when everything is available as zip files. I am putting of buying *anything* here until i can download as zips. Slightly off topic when will download accelerators work?

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,878
    edited December 1969

Yes, totally separate, if you want to use the Install Manager it's a separate one-time download, if not the content zips are just content.

That is very good news for those of us that maintain seperate runtimes. I might be able to delete my 'Temp DAZ install' folder :)

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited June 2012

Looks like older products have been already converted to zips. I've done a reset of Funeral of hearts and African Lilly and both came as zip files. No download manager needed to download and unzip but as mentioned before, the Runtime is in a Content folder. But when you unzip or install to a temp folder and then manually move the files like I do then it doesn't matter.

One thing about the zip files that I do not like is that they are numbered but not named properly. You will get something like 3509.zip when you click on the download link. You will have the product name in your downloads but not in the zip itself. Good idea to rename the file before saving to your HD. Maybe that's different when you download with the download manager thingie.

Post edited by Puntomaus on
    edited December 1969

The name's for the zip files are a temporary thing. They've set the zips live for a lot of older items for the Mac people who can't use the old installers. When they convert everything over they'll have better file names, probably similar to the way the newest installers are named (e.g. 12345_nameofproduct_1.0)

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

That's good to know, thanks :)

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

I have a question. In getting one of the older items in zip format (which I'm thrilled at), I see that a pdf file explaining how to use zip files says this at the end in the FAQ

Q: Why am I getting a .zip folder instead of a self extracting .exe or .app?

A: There are several reasons that we have decided to switch our older installers out with .zip files. The biggest being that our old Vise installers were incompatible with our new Magento web engine. Many of the old vise installers were either for OS9 or Power PC applications and couldn't be run on today's Intel MACs. The .zip format is a format that anyone can use regardless of OS.

This says " we have decided to switch our older installers out with .zip files" and that it's largely because of the old installers being incompatible for some computers. That doesn't say to me that ALL products will be zip files.

So, does that mean ONLY older files will be in zip format, or will ALL files, including new products, be in zips???

edited December 1969

I have a question. In getting one of the older items in zip format (which I'm thrilled at), I see that a pdf file explaining how to use zip files says this at the end in the FAQ

A: There are several reasons that we have decided to switch our older installers out with .zip files. The biggest being that our old Vise installers were incompatible with our new Magento web engine. Many of the old vise installers were either for OS9 or Power PC applications and couldn't be run on today's Intel MACs. The .zip format is a format that anyone can use regardless of OS.

This says " we have decided to switch our older installers out with .zip files" and that it's largely because of the old installers being incompatible for some computers. That doesn't say to me that ALL products will be zip files.

So, does that mean ONLY older files will be in zip format, or will ALL files, including new products, be in zips???

Ultimately everything (except perhaps plugins) will be in zips. They started with older ones which don't work in current versions of OSX, and set those live even though the Install Manager isn't available yet.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Oh, good! Thanks :)

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Ultimately everything (except perhaps plugins) will be in zips. They started with older ones which don't work in current versions of OSX, and set those live even though the Install Manager isn't available yet.

Sorry Mike but I'm confused does this mean that the exe type files will no longer be available at all? I know that many are champing at the bit to get zips but I'm kinda attached to the old installers...and would like to know if they are not going to be available anymore. Not wanting to rain on anyones parade though...

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Sorry Mike but I'm confused does this mean that the exe type files will no longer be available at all? I know that many are champing at the bit to get zips but I'm kinda attached to the old installers...and would like to know if they are not going to be available anymore. Not wanting to rain on anyones parade though...

There will be a single (optional) Install Manager program that you download once, which can install the zips (and, if you with, check online for updates and download them automatically). So instead of an installer in every download, you just download the installer once.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

There will be a single (optional) Install Manager program that you download once, which can install the zips (and, if you with, check online for updates and download them automatically). So instead of an installer in every download, you just download the installer once.

Thanks for the info Mike...