GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5! See why you should do it today!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,201
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Genesis Essentials is just the content, with tweaks, that has been in the main DAZ Studio installer previously. The content is expected to be more stable (not to need as many updates) going forward, so it was split out to reduce download sizes next time the application is updated.

...Richard thanks. So installing this should have no impact on the application's actual performance then.

So as to the texture map issues and scene corruption after saving, does this mean I need to re-map all my directories again?

I have no idea - I've not seen your problem, at least with respect to renders, before. it's not that it can't find the content, it's that it's applying the wrong maps to some things. I have seen that with the preview, when memory is running low (for example when I'd been plodding through trying out a batch of new V4 texture sets), but not, as I recall, in renders.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited September 2012

Cymbidium said:
    Bobvan said:
    Cymbidium said:
    Bobvan said:
    Kerya said:
    Cymbidium said:
    Kerya said:
    For those missing LDP2:
    Mr. Belwon made a survey
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FT7HKFS
    I added in the blank field: update of older products like the LDP2
    If enough people tell him ...

I did the same

So did I.....but I don't hold up much hope, since he said somewhere in the forums (in answer to someone asking him if LDP2 was getting an update) that he was now concentrating on training, and he didn't seem interested currently in updating any plugins. :( Guess it would be too much work for too little return......

Well - that will mean that I will tell everybody not to buy things from Dreamlight!

Lux is you're friend...

For those who may not be interested in Reality / Lux Latinos & Dimension Theory have pretty killer lights

I did try to use Reality for a while, right before the update to DSPro 4.5, but I can't say I got any really good renders out of it - guess I need a LOT more practice.........:red:

Its really not that complicated and one can really get nice renders. One of my fans commented recently "You are really getting good at this everything looks so real" Some of my renders http://fav.me/d5drfel http://fav.me/d5dhr30 I really like the dramatic lighting I can get and its not much different then when I was using UE a few well placed lights and adjustments. Even though Lux renders can take longer one can queue them so you can start 3 or 4 then fire em up in 2 hour cycles and lit err rip! The adjustment of lighting and film response settings can give some nice results. But I also had gotten alot of decent renders with LDP2...

Thanks for the links - very nice renders! Yes, I have seen lots of great renders with Reality, and it doesn’t seem that complicated, but I guess I’m just too darn impatient to wait a couple of hours for a render….. :lol: That said, I will most probably try again soon - I have downloaded the updated Reality. ;)

I used to think that way too but here I am a little over 6 months of using Reality / Lux 5 to 600 renders later....

Another thing I like is Lux will bring life to some older content

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK so decided to install 4.5P just to see how it would react to my "ancient" system (did not install the Genesis Starter Essentials as the installer was over 400MB).

Also loaded and applied the Darkside UI.

First a few pluses.

The application loads much faster
    Scenes load much faster
    And yes,, the new 3Delight is very fast compared to 3A.

Managed to rework the scene in question so it finally rendered. Lighting used was a UE preset. Size 800 x 800. Had to substitute a default V4 Map on Leela for the Tindra one (nothing I did seemed to correct the facial and leg Map errors). The scene rendered in 1 min 22sec + about 25 sec for the shadow mapping. In 3a (with a basic "non UE" light set), It took nearly 8 minutes plus another 1:10 for shadow mapping.

(while originally created in 3A the scene was saved in 4.0.3).

Rendered scene attached below.

OK now a couple things that didn't work.

Tried to open a version of the same scene created in 3A (which wasn't saved in 4.0) and discovered the maps of the Baroque Grandeur set and Harpsichord were totally messed up (see attached SS below) . Reloading the textures in 4.5 did nothing so apparently apparently there is a conflict with the UV mapping between 3A and 4.5.

Deleting an item and reloading a fresh version in 4.5 presented the same UV mapping error.

All directory mapping was preserved in the update so not sure how this occurred.

Saving a .daz scene in 4.5 apparently corrupts the original scene file as apparently the only format option for saving a scene is .duf. While reloading the saved 4.5 version (after closing the application down and reopening it to clear memory), there were multiple ""clearing scene" messages, and when the load was complete, parts of the set (like the window glass and some frame details) were missing. Not sure if this has to do with the fact that my content is all installed to my 3A runtime rather than the 4.5 Library, but supposedly 4.5 should be able to read from all runtimes mapped under Preferences/Content Management.

I still wonder if this is a memory issue, you have a large set and two figures and a prop in there, I couldn't have done that in 32bit.

Have you tried saving the scene in sections, one figure and the piano for instance.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,713
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Yea, in touch with Flaming Pear right now. Seems their plugins DO work with CS6 64 bit. So waiting to hear back from Lloyd about downloads.

A quote from "Photoshop CS6: The Missing Manual" which I've just started reading:

"...since most third-party plug-ins (Chapter 19) and filters (Chapter 15) have now been upgraded to work in 64-bit mode, there’s little reason to cast a single glance backward."

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Well most of the older plugins don't work in 64 bit and still don't. I've pretty much given in and use what's available. It's really no big deal at this point.

• edited December 1969

installed 4.5 and am having all kinds of fun with it now :D love the new features... but i have one very serious question that has stopped me using DAZ all together!

Please tell me i'm being dense with this... but i open a save to one of my old projects, edit it, save it as a DUF...
    next time i load it, all the figures are in different locations!
    i don't want to have to re-position every figure in a scene each time i load... is there something in the settings i ned to change? a way to set the world co-ordinates? i don't even understand why they move to where they do! there's no logical reason. some seem to raise to the same levell on the Y axis, others move to the Z or X axis... seriously, what am I doing wrong? i can't justify re-posing EVERY save i have each time i want to load...

issue aside, the morph-follower is so much faster! i love these new features and plan on using them all the best i can once this is sorted out and i've stopped being a neurotic nutter...

• Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    64 bit OS hasn't been that popular either until recently. Eventually everything will go 64 bit so I think there is a good chance that many filters will be updated.

:question: 64 bit has been used in CG since XP Pro 64. Running anything else with any of the newer processors is a true waste.

What happened is the software developers fell a full generation behind the hardware by choice. At least some did, while others kept up with it as they wanted a pro market.

My current machine is over three years old and the day I bought it 100% of the machines on the store shelves were 64 bit. All of them. Only little mini laptops and such were even available in 32 bit because who wanted them? Limited RAM and slooooooooooooow performance when you could have the opposite for a few dollars more?

In CG 32 bit is and has been a dinosaur for some time now.

If developers are not keeping up with it, it's not because it's not popular. It's purely financial with them in mind and not the customer.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

The parts in my machine are 3-4 years old I think too. When we bought the new motherboard at the time and got everything setup we found out that Windows ME wasn't supported and it forced us to upgrade finally to XP. I wanted to get the 64bit since the hardware supported it and I did a lot of work with Photoshop and was getting playing around with Daz but there wasn't a single store that was selling the 64bit OS around here so I was forced to go with the 32bit :( I'm surprised that at least OfficeMax didn't have it but they didn't :(

I hate 32bit but I can live with the limits it sets and haven't had any problems from Studio 2.0 all the way up to Studio 4.5 :) The only thing I have ever had a big problem with the limits was Bryce... got a little to happy with the Instance Lab when that first came out and crashed the program before I could even try and render my big field of flowers :P LoL

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

Okay, this is just plain weird.

Most of my Genesis content is from DAZ, since they are the main place to get Genesis content. But there are some vendors at Rendo that support Genesis, and there are some Genesis freebies. I've picked up a few of them in the past year, and installed them.

Well, all of my runtimes -- and that includes the Genesis 'My Library' are on an external drive. The Studio program of course gets installed in the Applications folder on the internal hard drive.

Well, I did the upgrade to 4.5. The Genesis essentials content I installed on my Desktop and moved it into the Genesis runtimes on the external. I found it a bit odd that while quite a bit of it just overwrote the older copies, quite a few of the data files didn't overwrite anything.

Well, like I said, I launched the program and hardly any of my characters would load and I got a mess of missing file alerts. Some of them gave the the missing file alerts and then loaded anyway.

After reinstalling all the Genesis character content (morph packs, etc) from DAZ most of that went away, but when I loaded some of the stuff from Rendo I still got the missing file alerts -- even though it did load.

So, okay, obviously I needed to reinstall that too.

Well I spent a couple of hours doing that yesterday evening, and what do you suppose I found?

I found that *all* of the files of *all* of those products that had data files that belonged in the data/DAZ3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs folder were missing. Now, some of the freebies consist of nothing *but* those data files. And I know that I had installed them when I got them. But they were nowhere in sight now.

Evidently, 4.5 *removed* all of the previous data files from the Genesis/Morphs folder when I installed it, even though they were on a different hard drive. Nothing of the upgrade got installed to the content hard drive.

I *think* those are the only MiAs. I've had no trouble loading hair or clothing, althoug I may trip over something later. But, c'mon! Removing all the data files?!

Sheesh!

edited December 1969

I still have all of my morphs, and I haven't had to reinstall them. I'm not sure what could have gone wrong to cause them, to vanish - I assume you aren't a Mac user?

edited September 2012

I am. Is this a Mac issue? I think that's even weirder.

Post edited by JOdel on
    edited December 1969

In older versions of the Mac OS, drop[ping a folder (such as \Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis) on top of another folder with the same name replaces, rather than merging. Lion and on have changed this, but I'm not sure if it's now the default to merge or if it has to be triggered. In any event, it appears the OS ddi replace rather than merge for you.

• edited December 1969

Can someone please help me find old products for DSA3/DS4?

I bought a bunch of things that were on sale during the MM and the Cust Appreciation sales. But honestly with the new customer order history bungle, I can't look by date, and I cannot remember the names of every product that was in those sales related to DSA3/DS4Pro. Did anyone else also make purchases of these items? And if you did could you just post the names so I can try to find them in my HUGE, BLOATED purchase history? I swear if it was by date I could find them without help, but the dates are all over the map and I am getting a massive headache just trying to sort through these.

And if you know, can you let me know if they are updated for the new DS4? (*not a necessity, but it might help).

Thank you ever so much!
    Ariana

OH!!! And I see there is a new file extension of .DUS, does anyone know if old DS downloads auto convert when reset?

edited December 1969

Yeah, I know about overwriting rather than merging folders, since I've used a Mac for over 20 years, and am currently sticking with Snow Leopard because of other legacy software issues. But generally DAZ installers don't just drop subfolders into the main folders, they actually move their files into the subfolders. Unless they've redone the scripts for their installers that assume everyone is using OS X.7 or later. That is seriously not cool.

And I didn't install *anything* onto that particular content drive, anyway. Although 4.5 knows about it. Because it kept my database of runtimes and I didn't have to point the program at the drive to re-enter it.

• edited September 2012

RAMWolff said:
    Well most of the older plugins don't work in 64 bit and still don't. I've pretty much given in and use what's available. It's really no big deal at this point.

This is absolutely true! I have some very expensive plugins that not only do not work in my CS5, but those companies have no intention of updating, that means buying new all over again!

So I keep CS2 on my puter so that if needed I can use older plugins that were created for PS7 and CS2. CS3 started being very selective on what it would load. So I would say keep CS2 active and add in certain plugins there, and refine in CS5/6. Does anyone one know if PS Bridge(*for CS3) works with CS5?

Ariana

Post edited by Future Fantasy Design on
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Yeah, I know about overwriting rather than merging folders, since I've used a Mac for over 20 years, and am currently sticking with Snow Leopard because of other legacy software issues. But generally DAZ installers don't just drop subfolders into the main folders, they actually move their files into the subfolders. Unless they've redone the scripts for their installers that assume everyone is using OS X.7 or later. That is seriously not cool.

And I didn't install *anything* onto that particular content drive, anyway. Although 4.5 knows about it. Because it kept my database of runtimes and I didn't have to point the program at the drive to re-enter it.

I was mentioning the overwrite issue because in your original post you mentioned that "Well, I did the upgrade to 4.5. The Genesis essentials content I installed on my Desktop and moved it into the Genesis runtimes on the external. I found it a bit odd that while quite a bit of it just overwrote the older copies, quite a few of the data files didn’t overwrite anything." If you slipped in doing that you may have overwritten the \data folders for the Genesis morphs, with the results you report.

edited December 1969

I bought a bunch of things that were on sale during the MM and the Cust Appreciation sales. But honestly with the new customer order history bungle, I can't look by date, and I cannot remember the names of every product that was in those sales related to DSA3/DS4Pro. Did anyone else also make purchases of these items? And if you did could you just post the names so I can try to find them in my HUGE, BLOATED purchase history? I swear if it was by date I could find them without help, but the dates are all over the map and I am getting a massive headache just trying to sort through these.

And if you know, can you let me know if they are updated for the new DS4? (*not a necessity, but it might help).

Thank you ever so much!
    Ariana

OH!!! And I see there is a new file extension of .DUS, does anyone know if old DS downloads auto convert when reset?

There's a My Orders link in the left hand column of your Account page, immediately blow the Itemised Order History link. That should enable you to see what you bought in those sales.

• edited September 2012

Thank you ever so much!
    Ariana

There's a My Orders link in the left hand column of your Account page, immediately blow the Itemised Order History link. That should enable you to see what you bought in those sales.

Richard, in order to find the products, you need their name!!! Or the date... there is so many items in my order history, that unless I knew the names or the dates of those sales, I cannot find anything in my order history anymore. I know how to bring up my order history! I also found it by date so thank you for that!!!

So can you provide me with all of the Major sale dates for the last 3 years? That would help enormously.

Ariana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK so decided to install 4.5P just to see how it would react to my "ancient" system (did not install the Genesis Starter Essentials as the installer was over 400MB).

Also loaded and applied the Darkside UI.

First a few pluses.

The application loads much faster
    Scenes load much faster
    And yes,, the new 3Delight is very fast compared to 3A.

Managed to rework the scene in question so it finally rendered. Lighting used was a UE preset. Size 800 x 800. Had to substitute a default V4 Map on Leela for the Tindra one (nothing I did seemed to correct the facial and leg Map errors). The scene rendered in 1 min 22sec + about 25 sec for the shadow mapping. In 3a (with a basic "non UE" light set), It took nearly 8 minutes plus another 1:10 for shadow mapping.

(while originally created in 3A the scene was saved in 4.0.3).

Rendered scene attached below.

OK now a couple things that didn't work.

Tried to open a version of the same scene created in 3A (which wasn't saved in 4.0) and discovered the maps of the Baroque Grandeur set and Harpsichord were totally messed up (see attached SS below) . Reloading the textures in 4.5 did nothing so apparently apparently there is a conflict with the UV mapping between 3A and 4.5.

Deleting an item and reloading a fresh version in 4.5 presented the same UV mapping error.

All directory mapping was preserved in the update so not sure how this occurred.

Saving a .daz scene in 4.5 apparently corrupts the original scene file as apparently the only format option for saving a scene is .duf. While reloading the saved 4.5 version (after closing the application down and reopening it to clear memory), there were multiple ""clearing scene" messages, and when the load was complete, parts of the set (like the window glass and some frame details) were missing. Not sure if this has to do with the fact that my content is all installed to my 3A runtime rather than the 4.5 Library, but supposedly 4.5 should be able to read from all runtimes mapped under Preferences/Content Management.

I still wonder if this is a memory issue, you have a large set and two figures and a prop in there, I couldn't have done that in 32bit.

Have you tried saving the scene in sections, one figure and the piano for instance.
    The version I saved in 4.0 before installing 4.5 loads and renders fine. Just loading a 3A scene in 4.5 seems to cause these isues.

The crashes in both 3A and 4/4.5 were (as I discovered looking at all the individual elements in the surface tab) due to high reflectivity values in parts of the candelabra and the floor. When I set values to zero, the scenes rendered in both versions without a hitch.

I am not using the full BG set, just two of the window/wall panels, two column sets, the floor and rug (all with the texture map resolution reduced by about 40%). I am wondering if the corruption may not be due to OGL conflicts as my current system does not have a dedicated GPU and meets only the minimal OGL requirement. I didn't actually try rendering the scene to test if 3Delight "sees" everything correctly. Ill try that when I get home later.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited September 2012

I discovered I had problems with DAZ Studio Pro 4.5 32-bit with a particular scene.

But then to see if it was any render, I backed out and just rendered a sphere. That worked fine. So did Genesis with a texture but something in that kit made 32-bit 4.5 choke.

64-it worked just fine on the set & rendered without a hitch.

Still trying process of elimination on the scene to find out the culprit.

Post edited by RKane_1 on
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:

I was mentioning the overwrite issue because in your original post you mentioned that "Well, I did the upgrade to 4.5. The Genesis essentials content I installed on my Desktop and moved it into the Genesis runtimes on the external. I found it a bit odd that while quite a bit of it just overwrote the older copies, quite a few of the data files didn’t overwrite anything." If you slipped in doing that you may have overwritten the \data folders for the Genesis morphs, with the results you report.

No, actually, I was pointing out that there were no existing data files for the morphs for the new content package *to* overwrite. The stuff in the People/Genesis/Character/whatever folders overwrote the old ones, and the Runtime/Textures/Whatever folder overwrote the old ones. But there was no alert asking whether I wanted to overwrite anything in the data/Genesis/Base/Morphs folder. There was no there, there.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Ariana

You could use Taozen's free Daz history manager - it doesn't install, it's small, I like it:
    http://taosoft.dk/software/dazhm/

Here is a list of updated Genesis products
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3885/

Non-Genesis products
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2602/

• edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Ariana

You could use Taozen's free Daz history manager - it doesn't install, it's small, I like it:

Non-Genesis products

Thank you very much Kerya!

I will give these a try. My friend uses Excel, but I don't have that and so keeping track of purchases was a complete nightmare BEFORE the changes! :-S

Ariana

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Ariana

Non-Genesis products

Thank you very much Kerya!

I will give these a try. My friend uses Excel, but I don't have that and so keeping track of purchases was a complete nightmare BEFORE the changes! :-S

Ariana

Have you looked into (or heard of) OpenOffice? It's a free office suite similar to Microsoft. I've used it for years... there is a spreadsheet program included that I've been using to keep track of my purchases :) http://www.openoffice.org/

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I am using OpenOffice too - there even is a portable version, :)

edited December 1969

Open Office has, if I understand it, now become Libre Office (there was a split when Oracle took OO over with Sun, and now OO has been merged I believe - it certainly hasn't been getting the same level of attention as LO, which is the same underlying code).

• edited September 2012

Either way it sounds like a great alternative! Just to let you know between Daz, RO, and RDNA I am nearly at 3+ Terabytes in content, hair, assorted footwear and jewelry. Mind you I don't even know how many freebies i have, but thank goodness there are only 'commercial use only' or i would be really screwed.

Best advice I can give is download immediately, log it and install it into an external. Because I am the ultimate impulse buyer. Bad for me, great for brokers! LOL! Oh and learn how to do your own make-ups! Because I own most of my characters because of their make-ups. I have so many early V3's that I swore I would never buy V4... Now that girl has a better life then I do! o0

OK, i have to fly hubby has some sort of flu... (*and he just had oral surgery too last week!). So I am not getting much done except making soup and rubbing vicks!

Stay well everyone. Thank you for the link!

Ariana

BTW, the link works, and is still open source so I will download and start to use it right away when I have 5 minutes to myself! :)

• gw3972gw3972 Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Bother. Windows only.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

Open Office has, if I understand it, now become Libre Office (there was a split when Oracle took OO over with Sun, and now OO has been merged I believe - it certainly hasn't been getting the same level of attention as LO, which is the same underlying code).

When Oracle acquired OpenOffice and wanted to interfere with the development, most of the OpenOffice developers and a number of the supportive companies like the main Linux distributors split and created The Document Foundation back in late 2010, to continue with OpenOffice development in a proper, open source way without Oracle interference. As Oracle wouldn't let them have the OpenOffice.org name, they named their branch LibreOffice, and it has been developing with new major and minor versions at regular intervals.

OpenOffice itself still existed, and after a year or so of Oracle doing nothing with it, they gave it to the Apache open source project, where it sat going through the project incubation phase for many months. That process finished, new developments began a little while ago.

So there are now the two programs being carried on by two different groups:

1) LibreOffice, developed by The Document Foundation. This is now on version 3.6.1, and has seen huge developement since the OpenOffice/LibreOffice split. Much old code removed, many new features added, much bug fixing, releases on a regular,tight schedule

2) Apache OpenOffice, developed by the Apache Software Foundation. This is on version 3.4.1, and is still very close to the version 3.3 beta of OpenOffice.org that was the current version at the split in 2010. Basically, while The Document Foundation (consisting of most of the OpenOffice.org developers and their major backers) began releases of LibreOffice in Jan 2011, not long after the split, and have been relasing minor bug fix and major versions ever since, the Oracle OpenOffice that was eventually given to Apache was in limbo, stuck at the 3.3 version at the split, right through 2011 and a chunk of 2012.

LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice are both therefore sibling descendents from the original OpenOffice.org, but LibreOffice is now much more developed and advanced than Apache OpenOffice, had a big headstart in distribution so is more widely used, and is the version recommended and distributed by e.g. the main Linux distributing companies like RedHat etc.

Peersoanlly I would recommend LibreOffice (3.6.1) over Apache OpenOffice (3.4.1) .... but either over an original OpenOffice.org (the last of those being a 3.2 por a 3.3 beta).

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I have just upgraded from studio Pro 4 to Studio Pro 4.5 and the new content installer, but all the child shapes for genesis seem to have disappeared, along with alot of the old clothing/character and pose content.

Now I have a load of '!' icons against stuff that USED to be in my content library(the original free content).???

So firstly, how do I get the child shapes for genesis back again.?? and secondly how do I either get the old free content back again, or get rid of the annoying '!' content icons from my content library,

any help much appreciated.

cheers,

S.K.